Small 250 Watt Grow Please Help a Newbie

I also think you shouldn't pull any of them until they've clearly declared their sex.

While you're right that males tend to grow taller in veg and have somewhat sparser foliage, that's far from a sure way to sex them at this point.

I've grown the same strain several times and thought I had become familiar enough with it to know males from females by the height/foliage criteria, but I've been surprised enough times by my wrong guesses to give up on trying to sex plants that way.

The males generally start to show their flowers first, and you'll have plenty of time to pull them before they seed the females. The flowers don't open for a few days, so it's not like you have to yank them the second they show, or even the same day.

I get the sense that you check on your plants often and carefully enough that you're not going to have a problem with missing any males. I do suggest posting pics before yanking any plants to get confirmation from other growers.

You should be proud of your babies, they're looking great ;).

I'd go with 1/2 strength on the GH hydro nutes to start out with just to be on the safe side.

Also, if you don't have one, I'd start thinking about getting a PH meter. A lot of peeps grow in soil without them, but if you want to ensure your ladies are happy, you really need to have one.

The GH hydro nutes, while fine for using in soil, are designed to drop the PH of your nute solution a bit lower than optimal for soil. If you can't afford a meter right now, you could get some PH test strips to just get an idea of where things are at.

Wow did u feel that????????!!!!!!???? That was a gigantic weight getting lifted off my sholders ;) I will let them be. Since the lights have been at 12/12 i can only make it down there to hang out with them like once a day :( But there always able to amaze me with there growth :) Well so far so good. Oh and im going to make a trip to my local indoor cultivation store, i think its acually called the grow room, and pick up some new nutes. Any suggestions on brand????

Glad you feel less worried about pulling the males on time. Just check each plant for male flowers once a day when you visit them and you'll be fine.

Earthjuice, Fox Farms, Roots organic, Age Old, are all good.

I think you could stick with the GH hydro nutes at 1/2 strength and be just fine though if you're strapped for cash.

If you've got enough left to finish this grow that would be cool, because it's not good to switch nute lines during flowering.

Which bottle got knocked over? The bottles should be capped securely after use so that evaporation doesn't change the concentration of the nutes.

thanks, glad to be taggin' along ;)

well it usually is but i left it open on accident for like a hour and she spilled it iv got surprisingly exactly 12 cups left. If its bad to change em up then ill go buy more of the same stuff. Not sure if it is enough to finish it was my flora bloom that got tipped

Bummer about the nute spill. I just figured out you have a grow journal and this post so I will keep track of both. I forgot about Earthjuice, heard that works very well for some people too. I need to decide if I want to switch nutes now if it isn't good for you to do so. I am using crap MG flowering formula atm so might be worth it lol. +reps

adapters.jpg

A little at a time ;) In a couple days i will be gettin a couple of the biggest cfl's i can get at my local hardware store. Iv checked they have the huge ones i cant remember the size but there bigger than any of the ones iv seen. Im going to hang them on either side of my tent for some extra light for the babies :)

I love those polarized socket adapters, they're the most useful thing for budget growing. Keep it up Troublesome, you're plants thank you for the hard work.

media12.jpeg

media11.jpeg

Ill be putting two of these bad boys in my tent friday night!! ;) They will hang on either side of the 250 hps. Ill be gettin a thermometer and humidity meter too. i couldnt find the ph meter though???? Is that something i will have to get off line or in a grow shop????

Are those 85w bulbs 2700k or 6400-6500k?

You can find PH test strips in hardware stores, but for a PH meter, you're going to have to go to a hydro shop or order one online. Some well-stocked plant nurseries may have them also, but usually not.

I'm currently using a Milwaukee PH600 meter that I got on ebay for $20. It works just fine, but it needs to be stored with care in order to last.

Did you flip your babies?

Mr. Sun- im not sure all i know about them is what information i have the pics of. I think i might be goin to a grow shop tomorrow for a look around and maybe pick up a ph meter. I flipped to 12/12 like a week ago id have to go through my posts to see exactly when. Still no signs of males though

It should say the color temperature somewhere on the box or the base of the bulb itself.

Or maybe "soft" white vs "day" light or something like that.

It's important, as using a 6400k bulb during flowering is going to stimulate vegetative growth but not going to do much for bud growth.

If all else fails, carefully take one out of the packaging in case you need to return it and plug it in. If it's "soft" and yellowish white, you're OK, but if it's harsh and bluish, they won't work well.

"Area" lights are sometimes 6400 or 6500k, which are not suitable for flowering.

Back
Top Bottom