SOGgy Daze Ahead For Mr. Krip!

Thanks for your response Mr.Krip and X. I'm sure I read about the PE stretch in your journal.I've just started growing the PE I didn't make note of it.In my notes now.Sorry you had to repeat info and thanks for the help.I also am growing a Critical Sensie Star and it seems the pheno I have of it has about the same stretch as the PE.I have more PE beans to find a different pheno,the C.S.S. was a freebie.Both the PE and the C.S.S. are very frosty. Again much thanks guys I'll be following yalls journals and taking notes.:thanks::goodjob:

No worries, Brother! I wasn't suggesting you should have remembered the previous posts - just pointing out that I had noticed the same thing and the stretch was so much less than expected, I had mentioned it a few times, too. I'm always happy to help! :high-five:

No worries, Brother! I wasn't suggesting you should have remembered the previous posts - just pointing out that I had noticed the same thing and the stretch was so much less than expected, I had mentioned it a few times, too. I'm always happy to help! :high-five:

The 2 I grew were the same ...no stretch.

lol, I was just about to say Mr.Krip, that we ordered same day and mine arrived today. Then I scrolled down and saw your shirt. I got the same shirt too.

ANOTHER QUICK UPDATE

A couple quick updates...First, I broke down and started soaking one of the White Widow seeds. I picked the smallest of the three, but we'll see how it goes and I'll keep you all updated.

Also, I'm just a tiny bit disappointed...It appears that the "Big A" ran out of the Guanabana freebies and sent me a Super Auto, instead. Since I'm on a quest to find another great mom, autos don't help! :hmmmm:

QUICK UPDATE - EVEN A COUPLE OF PICS!

It's been a while since I've posted any grow pics since there hasn't been much new to post, but I've got a couple tonight (nothing too special)...

First, it's been a little less than 24 hours since I started soaking the White Widow seed and her tail is just starting to pop:

DSCN2449.JPG

By tomorrow morning, I'll put her in a rapid rooter and hopefully we'll see a sprout by the end of this coming weekend, or so.

Also, it was time to take some clones from the PE Bonsai mom again, and I thought I'd snap a quick pick to show her off a little. Technically, I don't know if you can even consider her a "Bonsai" any more cuz she's so huge, but she is still in the same 2 L hempy and although I didn't take that many, she could have easily given up well over a dozen cuttings.

Here she is before the trim:

DSCN24481.JPG

Happy Harvests!

K

QUICK UPDATE - NEW MEMBER OF THE FAMILY!

Hey little sister, what have you done?
Hey little sister, who's the only one?
It's a nice day for a WHITE WIDOW!!! :yahoo:

Billy Idol - White Wedding Official videoclip - YouTube

You might have already guessed it from the musical portion of this post, but the White Widow seed has sprouted! :woohoo:

It just happened within the last few hours, so she is a true newborn. I just gave her a light misting to help her shed the yolk sack and here she is ready to meet the world:

DSCN2451.JPG

DSCN2452.JPG

In about a month I'll take the first clone, and a month later, I'll put the clone into flower, and about two months after that I'll harvest, and about a month after that she'll be done curing. So, hang in for about five more months and I'll get you a smoke report! :sleep:

Happy Harvests!

K

TIME TO GET A LITTLE DIRTY

I've been thinking about my upcoming trip and having to leave my grow in a friend's hands for 4-5 days and I decided I'm going to move the mom's to a soil mixture in 1 gallon SmartPots.

It will cut down on my space a little, but not by much. The 2-L's are abou 4" wide and the 1 gallon SmartPots are 5.5"x7". I'm ASSUMING that the 5.5" is the width, in which case, it's not that much more of a footprint. If they turn out to be more wide than tall, I may need to reconsider the options! :)

With a container that's about twice the size as the current 2L's and a soil mixture, I would think the moms could easily make it the 4-5 days without too much trouble. Also, in the long run, they'll need a lot less attention and nutes, so I think it will reduce some of the maintenance.

I've been mixing my own soil for the container & raised bed gardens and I'll do something similar for the moms. Technically, I guess it's really a "soilless" mix, since I don't put any soil in it, but it has two different types of compost, peat moss, vermiculite, worm castings, two different types of rock dust, and some blood meal. It will also give me a chance to test some of the Humate Supreme products that came with the MOTM/POTM but aren't really conducive to hydro.

I couldn't begin to tell you what the guaranteed analysis would be on the mix, but the garden plants seem to love it! The blood meal boosts the Nitrogen content and the rock dust provides the micronutrients. I'll also continue to use the BPN on the moms in soil.

I just ordered the SmartPots, so probably next weekend, or so, I'll do the transplants and keep you all updated.

Happy Harvests!

K

Hey Mr K, the pots should help with the watering issues, but may take a week or so to fill in with new roots. Don't overwater during this stage, you want the roots to actively go on search of water. Wait for them to wilt a little before you give them a splash. 4 to 5 days should be pretty easy for a caveman.....

Hey bro, no disrespect meant in fied's journal, I was just pointing out that you were both right. I agree with you 100%, and hash can and should be made from ANY strain, because of the different effects of each one, but I also agree that there are certain strains grown solely for there "Hash Making" properties, actually I don't just agree, I'm certain.
These are 2nd gen, S2 seeds from the Afghanistan strain I obtained long ago, that got me started in breeding:
100_11172.JPG

There are 3 phenotypes of the S2 that are dominant and another pheno that looks like the original super leafy freak of a mother. And I'm dead serious, where the buds should be, it is more like a supercluster of freakin trichome-laden leaves.

Umm, here is a pic of one of the buds I commonly see on my Sugar Cane, which I believe is that old trait of the mother, with a little more bud development:
100_23032.JPG

Hope you enjoyed. I always love talkin bud with you bro!!

Peace and God bless,
GT

Hey bro, no disrespect meant in fied's journal, I was just pointing out that you were both right. I agree with you 100%, and hash can and should be made from ANY strain, because of the different effects of each one, but I also agree that there are certain strains grown solely for there "Hash Making" properties, actually I don't just agree, I'm certain.
These are 2nd gen, S2 seeds from the Afghanistan strain I obtained long ago, that got me started in breeding:
100_11172.JPG

There are 3 phenotypes of the S2 that are dominant and another pheno that looks like the original super leafy freak of a mother. And I'm dead serious, where the buds should be, it is more like a supercluster of freakin trichome-laden leaves.

Umm, here is a pic of one of the buds I commonly see on my Sugar Cane, which I believe is that old trait of the mother, with a little more bud development:
100_23032.JPG

Hope you enjoyed. I always love talkin bud with you bro!!

Peace and God bless,
GT

No worries, Brother. No offense taken what-so-ever...I just didn't want to continue the discussion in 420fied's journal.

As I mentioned in my last post, I totally understand your points AND I stand by everything I said 100%. But, I'm always anxious to learn if I'm incorrect, so please go back and re-read my three posts and let me know anything I said that you may disagree with, and/or how you would answer the original question. Then, I'm more than happy to engage in an exchange of ideas! :high-five:

I don't believe I gave any inaccurate information! :)

I've been thinking about my upcoming trip and having to leave my grow in a friend's hands for 4-5 days and I decided I'm going to move the mom's to a soil mixture in 1 gallon SmartPots.

It will cut down on my space a little, but not by much. The 2-L's are abou 4" wide and the 1 gallon SmartPots are 5.5"x7". I'm ASSUMING that the 5.5" is the width, in which case, it's not that much more of a footprint. If they turn out to be more wide than tall, I may need to reconsider the options! :)

With a container that's about twice the size as the current 2L's and a soil mixture, I would think the moms could easily make it the 4-5 days without too much trouble. Also, in the long run, they'll need a lot less attention and nutes, so I think it will reduce some of the maintenance.

I've been mixing my own soil for the container & raised bed gardens and I'll do something similar for the moms. Technically, I guess it's really a "soilless" mix, since I don't put any soil in it, but it has two different types of compost, peat moss, vermiculite, worm castings, two different types of rock dust, and some blood meal. It will also give me a chance to test some of the Humate Supreme products that came with the MOTM/POTM but aren't really conducive to hydro.

I couldn't begin to tell you what the guaranteed analysis would be on the mix, but the garden plants seem to love it! The blood meal boosts the Nitrogen content and the rock dust provides the micronutrients. I'll also continue to use the BPN on the moms in soil.

I just ordered the SmartPots, so probably next weekend, or so, I'll do the transplants and keep you all updated.

Happy Harvests!

K

Smart Pots are great. They will hold more roots in a smaller pot. There is one caveat - they require more waterings than a hard side pot typically, due to the huge increase in aeration that gets to the soil. Once they fill up with roots, they need more frequent watering than you would need with hard side pots. Some people stick to hard-side for moms, just for that reason. But, they build great root systems and plants love them.

No need for further discussion, like I said, I agreed with everything you said, I was just stating that there are strains used solely for hash, because they have no use in our gardens bro. I mean, would you want to smoke a bundle of harsh leaves when we grow such beautiful buds?? I think not... hehe

No need for further discussion, like I said, I agreed with everything you said, I was just stating that there are strains used solely for hash, because they have no use in our gardens bro. I mean, would you want to smoke a bundle of harsh leaves when we grow such beautiful buds?? I think not... hehe

EXACTLY!!! That is what I was saying, albeit in a different way. Just because the "hash" plants are ONLY good for making hash doesn't mean they're any better than another high THC strain for making hash. More leaves doesn't help, it's more trich's that are important! He seemed to want to believe that just because the plants were used for hash, they were somehow better for making hash, and the point I was trying to make was that wasn't the case.

Happy Harvests!

K

First, I was thinking something right along the lines of what X was saying about the root-pruning pots drying out!

And since I keep bonsai moms in what sounds like roughly the same sized container, and have grown in many different root-pruning pots, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in as well!

I think it's matters how long you want to keep the mother. Small root-pruning pots allow the plant to grow to the size of a much larger plant. As time goes on, they will build a root system so dense, it will be difficult to keep them watered. At some point, the only way to give them a good watering will be by dunking.

The bonsai mom method that I loosely adhere to, allows you to keep a healthy mom for many years. Square plastic pots are used to slow down the plant as it becomes root bound. Then, when you feel like it, you prune the roots, and bury the mom slightly deeper than the last time. The mom is constantly generating new roots from new section of stem that is buried deeper with each root pruning.

:ganjamon:

First, I was thinking something right along the lines of what X was saying about the root-pruning pots drying out!

And since I keep bonsai moms in what sounds like roughly the same sized container, and have grown in many different root-pruning pots, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in as well!

I think it's matters how long you want to keep the mother. Small root-pruning pots allow the plant to grow to the size of a much larger plant. As time goes on, they will build a root system so dense, it will be difficult to keep them watered. At some point, the only way to give them a good watering will be by dunking.

The bonsai mom method that I loosely adhere to, allows you to keep a healthy mom for many years. Square plastic pots are used to slow down the plant as it becomes root bound. Then, when you feel like it, you prune the roots, and bury the mom slightly deeper than the last time. The mom is constantly generating new roots from new section of stem that is buried deeper with each root pruning.

Vape, both you & X make some good points. I am aware that the SmartPots would dry out quicker, but that wasn't a concern. I also was aware I could grow a larger plant in a smaller pot and wanted to conserve on some space.

But, I kinda figured I'd still be able to do some root pruning, in addition to the air pruning that happens with the SmartPots, and I didn't consider the more rapid root growth with the aeration containers plus having to trim roots that are growing into the SmartPot.

You're also correct that the articles I've read on Bonsai's all use square plastic pots for the mom's.

:hmmmm: Maybe I need to rethink the container?

Thanks for the input! :thanks:

Vape, both you & X make some good points. I am aware that the SmartPots would dry out quicker, but that wasn't a concern. I also was aware I could grow a larger plant in a smaller pot and wanted to conserve on some space.

But, I kinda figured I'd still be able to do some root pruning, in addition to the air pruning that happens with the SmartPots, and I didn't consider the more rapid root growth with the aeration containers plus having to trim roots that are growing into the SmartPot.

You're also correct that the articles I've read on Bonsai's all use square plastic pots for the mom's.

I've never tried this, so bear with me here, but I've read from others that pruning the roots on Smart Pots (in the sense of doing it yourself) is difficult to impossible without being hard on the roots or wrecking the container - due to the tips growing into the sides so much. I think people tend to have to cut them off, as they get pretty jammed in there. Air Pots, I would think could be more easily removed to prune roots if necessary.

I used them for my moms for a while, just like you are wanting to do, and it'll work okay. But I just took a new cutting every so often, and ditched the larger mom, if that makes sense. I just learned something new as far as the square plastic ones, and a good pruning technique - good stuff, Vape! + rep

Yup, you can still manually root prune...but I've found it hard to slow down the growth in both Air-Pots and Smart Pots. In my garden, I throw away buckets of cuttings every month as it is...put them in aeration containers and they run wild! In all fairness, I also have too many moms...but I'm afraid of losing genetics, so redundancy is how I deal with that concern. :)

Square just makes it very quick and easy to see exactly how much of the root mass you're removing. but you can root prune out of any container. I once pulled a large plant out of a 3 gallon Square-Root Aeration Container and cut the root ball down so it would fit into a 3.8 gallon Air-Pot with a good 2 1/2 gallons of fresh soil.

There's no reason you can't use those...they'll easily hold the plants long term...I just wanted to offer up my observations. :thumb:

I've never tried this, so bear with me here, but I've read from others that pruning the roots on Smart Pots (in the sense of doing it yourself) is difficult to impossible without being hard on the roots or wrecking the container - due to the tips growing into the sides so much. I think people tend to have to cut them off, as they get pretty jammed in there. Air Pots, I would think could be more easily removed to prune roots if necessary.

I used them for my moms for a while, just like you are wanting to do, and it'll work okay. But I just took a new cutting every so often, and ditched the larger mom, if that makes sense. I just learned something new as far as the square plastic ones, and a good pruning technique - good stuff, Vape! + rep

Thanks bro! The only way I've found to get the Smart Pots off without cutting them is to peel down the material all the way around the container, as evenly as you can, a little at a time. It makes it easier if you have something roughly the same diameter as the base of the pot, that elevates the pot above your work surface, that way you can get more leverage pealing it down. Some kind of pliers also work well to get a grip on the material. Air-Pots on the other hand are very easy to remove.

I don't think there's anything wrong with ditching moms every so often and starting new clones either! It just takes a bit of time to grow out the plant again...not that important if you don't need large numbers of cuttings at once.

Back
Top Bottom