Speyedr's White Widow Deep Water Culture SCROG, House & Garden Nutes - 1st Grow EVER!

Amazes AND frustrates me. They are branching but you can't even tell 'cause they are so compact.

Does everyone think this is normal? Did I stunt them with my Algae problem? Am I paranoid??

Answer is likely 'All of the above'...

I know the feeling Speyedr. When my plant was drooping I knew it wasn't normal at all. Don't get too paranoid. Just chill and keep an eye out for any changes. In my situation it was a awesome feeling when you are able to fix a problem. Makes you feel like a grower. Plus its all part of the learning experience.:roorrip:

They look nice and healthy man, good color. Ya' got Cadillac and myself growing some WW too. We might as well follow each others widows.

And don't ladies always look good sprayed with water! haha

if someone were having problems keeping res temp down, how highly would you recommond the chiller you bought? thanks! ( i mean price to quality ratio)

if someone were having problems keeping res temp down, how highly would you recommond the chiller you bought? thanks! ( i mean price to quality ratio)

Up to this point I would highly recommend it for the money. My space temp tops out around 78f before the exhaust vents it down to 75f. Res temp doesn't go above 69f with this chiller.

That said you do have to fully insulate your res, and I have my little PC Fan contraption though I can't say how much that helps. Also, once I am in flower (hopefully someday soon) my room temps will be lowered and res temp control should be easier. I question whether the Ice Probe will be necessary or if it will pull the temps down too much. Stayed tuned for that.

I chose the Ice Probe because I am not home most of the day and cannot monitor as much as I would like. Also, I am not planning on moving up to DWC buckets or anything else like a larger res, etc. as my whole setup is designed around keeping the limited space I have in mind. Any more than 6gal would be a challenge for this little guy. Two or more would be necessary and then you may as well get a real chiller.

If I had the time to add frozen bags / bottles a few times a day and did not want the expense I would try that route first, along with all of the other recommendations like lowering space temps and raising the res for air flow, etc.

If I were investing in the long haul and planning multiple grows/year, possible upgrades to res size, DWC setups, external res, etc. I would go the other way and invest in an inline chiller, easily twice the cost if not more. It is however more controllable and flexible for design considerations.

The Ice Probe is perfect for this application given all of my variables. You just have to really examine your individual setup and see if it fits.

Hope this was helpful and Ill be stopping by your journal.

Do you think if the room temp is around 68-69F the res will maintain the same relative temp? I just read the temp on my res therometer it was around low 60s...i hope it can maintain that temp if the room temp is stable at around 69-(highest 70).

I moved my res from its old location cuz it would get as hot as 91....now its down to 68...i think the 20 mins of relocating was worth it, do you? lol

Do you think if the room temp is around 68-69F the res will maintain the same relative temp? I just read the temp on my res therometer it was around low 60s...i hope it can maintain that temp if the room temp is stable at around 69-(highest 70).

I moved my res from its old location cuz it would get as hot as 91....now its down to 68...i think the 20 mins of relocating was worth it, do you? lol

Your res will be OK but your plants may not like such a low temp in veg. You want it hot and humid in veg, but the roots need to stay cool. I'd post this in your journal and see what the vets say. I am still a noob.

That said I think the real challenge is keeping the room temp and rel hum up while keeping the res temp down. I've managed it up til now with the Ice Probe.

Your res will be OK but your plants may not like such a low temp in veg. You want it hot and humid in veg, but the roots need to stay cool. I'd post this in your journal and see what the vets say. I am still a noob.

That said I think the real challenge is keeping the room temp and rel hum up while keeping the res temp down. I've managed it up til now with the Ice Probe.

lol thanks spdy. but like my problem is, the humidity can only be high if my temps are lower. Humidity is at 50 (which is also the HIGHEST ive ever had it) cuz when it is like 88 in my old location it was about 25-30 humidity, which you can tell that was just not working...

lol thanks spdy. but like my problem is, the humidity can only be high if my temps are lower. Humidity is at 50 (which is also the HIGHEST ive ever had it) cuz when it is like 88 in my old location it was about 25-30 humidity, which you can tell that was just not working...

That is a problem, but as you long as you monitor the plants you will know what they like.

Saturday update:

All readings are stable so on with the show...

The Ladies...
IMG_07356.JPG

IMG_07325.JPG

IMG_07333.JPG

IMG_07342.JPG

Roots are not exploding as much as I would like but the plants look great, though compact so I'm gonna chill...

The Screen..
IMG_07397.JPG

IMG_07387.JPG

IMG_07361.JPG

Notice the support underneath the res lid. This makes it easier to open and close the lid and moves the entire screen with it so I don't break any stems later on.
Not sure if it's a good idea to show the ladies the Bondage that awaits if they ever do grow into it but it needed to be done.
The downside is I now have even less maneuverability so res changes are going to be an exercise in flexibility. I can still remove the screen easily enough until they reach it and get trained into it.

The wait is killing me.
:popcorn:

I envy your set up

Thanks Man, but it's all DIY and the pics do not show how cramped that space is.

If you have more than 45" of overall height then you are WAAAAY better off!!

If there is anything here in the pics that you want more info on just ask.

I would however offer this tidbit. My first and most major problem was Algae. I think you've had it too since you mention the smell. I would do the following no matter what, without hesitation:

1 - Black out your res somehow, either with foil tape or the mylar bubble wrap in my pics. Do the lid and the body. I can tell you that the blue plastic does allow light through, no doubt. My res is much darker inside.
2 - use algaecide from an aquarium store according to the directions. As long as it says it's for planted aquariums you will be fine. If you have to you can use H2O2 (Peroxide) but it can react with other additives and I think the algaecide is safer.

Take it for what it's worth.

Thanks Man, but it's all DIY and the pics do not show how cramped that space is.

If you have more than 45" of overall height then you are WAAAAY better off!!

If there is anything here in the pics that you want more info on just ask.

I would however offer this tidbit. My first and most major problem was Algae. I think you've had it too since you mention the smell. I would do the following no matter what, without hesitation:

1 - Black out your res somehow, either with foil tape or the mylar bubble wrap in my pics. Do the lid and the body. I can tell you that the blue plastic does allow light through, no doubt. My res is much darker inside.
2 - use algaecide from an aquarium store according to the directions. As long as it says it's for planted aquariums you will be fine. If you have to you can use H2O2 (Peroxide) but it can react with other additives and I think the algaecide is safer.

Take it for what it's worth.

yeah i should insulate the res somewhat at least huh, make it light tight lol.
Does algae die when temps drop or does it just "slow down" the process?
because yeah i have had to wipe some algae off the feed tubes and stuff when i flush..

Really pretty setup spy, props man!

SG

Thanks Brother!

yeah i should insulate the res somewhat at least huh, make it light tight lol.
Does algae die when temps drop or does it just "slow down" the process?
because yeah i have had to wipe some algae off the feed tubes and stuff when i flush..

From my Aquarium and Pool/Spa experience I can confidently say that temps in 60s are definitely not cool enough to kill algae, it will just be less active. You'd need to freeze the liquid the algae was in to burst the cell walls and we are definitely not aiming that low.

I still get algae as well but it's much more controlled with the algaecide, and peroxide would do a better job. My concern with it is that it interacts with other additives we may be using (Check out Cadillac's grow) and with my nutes I am using an additive that is organic and 'alive' and the H2O2 kills it.

Just like in an aquarium, controlled algae is not a big problem ('no algae at all' is obviously the most preferred). Outbreaks are what cause the most trouble and can compete with or even harm/kill your plants.

Thanks Brother!

From my Aquarium and Pool/Spa experience I can confidently say that temps in 60s are definitely not cool enough to kill algae, it will just be less active. You'd need to freeze the liquid the algae was in to burst the cell walls and we are definitely not aiming that low.

I still get algae as well but it's much more controlled with the algaecide, and peroxide would do a better job. My concern with it is that it interacts with other additives we may be using (Check out Cadillac's grow) and with my nutes I am using an additive that is organic and 'alive' and the H2O2 kills it.

Just like in an aquarium, controlled algae is not a big problem ('no algae at all' is obviously the most preferred). Outbreaks are what cause the most trouble and can compete with or even harm/kill your plants.

yeah algae seems to be the result of uncontrolled temps...as far as nutes go...ive been stickin with the SH nutes so i dont think H2o2 would affect them. I just wouldnt even know where to get real hydrogen perxoide, just that topical solution but i hear thats not what you want.

and seeing how my roots are about to hit the water i want the water to be perfect for them lol

yeah algae seems to be the result of uncontrolled temps...as far as nutes go...ive been stickin with the SH nutes so i dont think H2o2 would affect them. I just wouldnt even know where to get real hydrogen perxoide, just that topical solution but i hear thats not what you want.

and seeing how my roots are about to hit the water i want the water to be perfect for them lol

Maybe someone can give some more info on that 'cause from what I've read people say that the stuff found in the Pharmacy has 'fillers' but the last bottle I got was all H2O2 and filtered water according to the label. I know it's not food grade, but filtered water is what I'm using anyway, and it only helped my plants. Once I found out it was bad for my nutes I switched but yours should not have a problem. Keep in mind that the dosage for Algae control is quite high @ 30ml / gallon, or 180ml for 6gal according to the troubleshooting & how-to threads like this one:
How Do I Apply Hydrogen Peroxide?

If anyone can add to this I would love to understand this better.

Back
Top Bottom