Testing New LED Lights vs 1000w HPS

Soniq420;928415 I'm in a bit of a sticky icky position here said:
i guess that is a bit of a sticky situation, because i have seen almost all of them, but their off site. i also have a led grow that was from start to finished i did myself last time.

the smoke is always great with leds i can vouch for that one on my last 2 led grows. ill let you see some side x side nugs of each plant under the diff lights when i harvest this time. and ill do a smoke report also for you.

So there's still one more HPS plant to dry but here are some numbers.....LED = 329 grams......HPS = 939 grams +[/QUOTE]

We ended up with 993 gr....the other test HPS table ended with 936gr (SOG method) so this was no fluke.

I would say none of the claims made came true on this test...the bud's are not denser...the lights didn't penetrate more and they certainly didn't produce more. The one thing that really was never mentioned was the resin production which was better under the LED's but wasn't enough of a difference to say that the smoke is better.

I haven't heard from Cammie since she got booted from here but since I did this test I'm hoping we could use the panel we have here with a dead diode as a fourth light to try to improve our results. I'm pretty positive that with the 4th light and new method we can atleast double our results.

I bet 1000w of LED produces just as much heat as 1000w HID....I bet after growin with a HID you'll find having to raise 8 panels at a time a bit of a piss off. A couple of things to consider with watt for watt comparisons.

mj111.jpg
mj211.jpg
This is my first real grow. I couldn't be happier with the LED setup. I supplement with a pr. of 65W=300W flowering bulbs and added a small fan to the mix. Total watts consumed is 286. Everything runs cool and quiet. I'm sure a bigger, better light source would yield more, but in my particular case that's not a priority. For me, it fits the bill perfectly.

You say yeilding more is not a priority. I'm curious how much an ouce of Med's last you? I ask because you have a plant that might be a foot tall with small bud's that might fetch you an ounce when your done that has taken you 2 1/2 months to grow.So will that ounce last you 2 1/2 months?

"This is my first real grow. I couldn't be happier with the LED setup."
This is a recurring statement from those that couldn't be happier with their LED's. Those that don't know any better have nothing to be dissapointed about!Fact is there's more in one of these colas then what you're going to end up with from your plant MR G.

ScanImage156.jpg

Man I was gone for a few days and come back to all this action. My buds are starting to fill up some but there is no way they will get anything close to what I could pull with an HPS light. I put a ton of cash into the system to make sure everything was ideal. Going so far as adding a water chiller, CO2, and 1500.00 in nutes to a 16 cubic foot grow tent. Overkill I know but I really wanted to get the max out of the lights. I purchased 6 lights and an aeromax unit. The Aeromax unit came shipped with stuff just thrown in, broken and missing parts. It was in bad enough shape to take pics of to prove it in case it comes down to it. Plus it took me 8 weeks to get it! Cammie told me that the 6 lights would out produce 2 1kw watters lol. I am not a very happy camper. I dont like being lied to. I just went back and reread some of her claims and someone noticed she had some HPS lights around her grow I never noticed that but its now pretty obvious that she got those big colas with an HPS light and some LED supplemental lighting. At least the other LED vendors that pay for advertising are not telling outright lies to sell there product.

Man I was gone for a few days and come back to all this action. My buds are starting to fill up some but there is no way they will get anything close to what I could pull with an HPS light. I put a ton of cash into the system to make sure everything was ideal. Going so far as adding a water chiller, CO2, and 1500.00 in nutes to a 16 cubic foot grow tent. Overkill I know but I really wanted to get the max out of the lights. I purchased 6 lights and an aeromax unit. The Aeromax unit came shipped with stuff just thrown in, broken and missing parts. It was in bad enough shape to take pics of to prove it in case it comes down to it. Plus it took me 8 weeks to get it! Cammie told me that the 6 lights would out produce 2 1kw watters lol. I am not a very happy camper. I dont like being lied to. I just went back and reread some of her claims and someone noticed she had some HPS lights around her grow I never noticed that but its now pretty obvious that she got those big colas with an HPS light and some LED supplemental lighting. At least the other LED vendors that pay for advertising are not telling outright lies to sell there product.

There is the possibility that the technology is simply suffering growing pains and further tweaking will improve results significantly. Its also a possibility that there's something lacking in the technique so far. Maybe we just haven't figured out the best way to use LEDs. In any case, I'm not investing in them until more favorable results are observed by someone somewhere, and the results can be replicated by others.

There is the possibility that the technology is simply suffering growing pains and further tweaking will improve results significantly. Its also a possibility that there's something lacking in the technique so far. Maybe we just haven't figured out the best way to use LEDs. In any case, I'm not investing in them until more favorable results are observed by someone somewhere, and the results can be replicated by others.

Your right, all of those points are plausible. I don't mind investing in a technology that is just emerging. What I don't like is being conned into investing in the technology.

...I'm hoping we could use the panel we have here with a dead diode as a fourth light to try to improve our results. I'm pretty positive that with the 4th light and new method we can atleast double our results...

Sorry to hear about your disappointing results, scumbragger. If you do another test, what new method(s) are you planning to use next time around? Doubling these results would be pretty cool--! That would place it into contender category vs. HPS for me; the only thing after that would be to see the price point drop, which will happen over time.

I am not a very happy camper.

I'm still hopeful for your grow, Bux. As you point out, there are still a few weeks to go yet...maybe they'll fatten up nicely in that time.

I don't think we'll ever see quite the penetration with LEDs that we have with HPS, but the efficiency will definitely improve. That may mean adjusting our growing style to use these most efficiently...guess we'll see.

Regards,

-TL

I haven't heard from Cammie since she got booted from here but since I did this test I'm hoping we could use the panel we have here with a dead diode as a fourth light to try to improve our results. I'm pretty positive that with the 4th light and new method we can atleast double our results.

I bet 1000w of LED produces just as much heat as 1000w HID....I bet after growin with a HID you'll find having to raise 8 panels at a time a bit of a piss off. A couple of things to consider with watt for watt comparisons.

You seriously think you can double your LED yield? I was thinking the same but I don't think my g/w will be anywhere near yours. If you could even add 30% - 50% I think that changes the discussion pretty seriously.

What changes would you make next run through?

There is the possibility that the technology is simply suffering growing pains and further tweaking will improve results significantly.

That's been the splinter in the brain for me this weekend. See my thoughts below.

Your right, all of those points are plausible. I don't mind investing in a technology that is just emerging. What I don't like is being conned into investing in the technology.

Amen WarBux79, I second that...

There's an old saying. Serve a bad meal to a customer and they will tell 10 people about it. Serve them a good meal and they may tell 2.

I'd say if the chef is standing at the corner yelling "BEST FOOD EVER!!!!" they may tell 30 - 50 people.......

So what's been bugging me is this... Why do we need the same amount of watts to get the same results??

Facts:
LED uses targeted light spectrums so you waste no light.
LED vegges well and can keep up with HPS/mh with lower watts in veg.
HPS wastes a lot of light that the plant doesn't use.
HPS flowers better than LED without equal or more watts.

I'm no rocket scientist but my ghetto science tells me the issue with the LED's is that they are either:
1) missing a spectrum or spectrum's necessary for flowering
or
2) doesn't have the right ratio of spectrum's necessary for flowering.

I don't really see any other reason for the LED not keeping up in flowering with less watts. 1000w LED vs. 1000w HPS the plant is using all 1000w of LED and 1000w HPS is NOT. I forget the percentage of light from an HPS that a plants can't use but whatever that percentage is x% is a usable light advantage for the LED. Let's call is 15% although I think it's more. How can the HPS make up for this 15% disadvantage other than it has something the LED does not.

I'm glad 420 figured it out and I applaud the members here who took the time and money to grow side by side comparisons using LED-GROW's product.

Complaints about the lights not performing as stated generally start to appear within 6 -8 weeks of delivery.

I'm sure LED's are perfect for that extremely unusual condition where ventilation is restricted but for 90% of the growers HID is still king!

Mr-B

Oh, one last thing to think about....... Most of the people who are posting these amazing results with the LED's are usually 1st or 2nd time growers.

Some may claim they have been growing for years (25 years ago) or they just fib to boost their egos. Either way, most of the people buying these lights are relatively new growers.
It could be that they totally f***** up their 1st grow and with the knowledge gained did much better on the 2nd grow using LED's.

A new grower may not realize that most indica's take 6-8 weeks for veg so when it takes 8-10 weeks they still give positive results.
When a new grower get's buds from his grow what can he compare it too?
Unless they have experience growing correctly then they are just guessing and elaborating on those results.

That's my 2cents

B

I'm glad 420 figured it out and I applaud the members here who took the time and money to grow side by side comparisons using LED-GROW's product.

Complaints about the lights not performing as stated generally start to appear within 6 -8 weeks of delivery.

I'm sure LED's are perfect for that extremely unusual condition where ventilation is restricted but for 90% of the growers HID is still king!

Mr-B

Mr-B if you've seen other complete journals that weren't happy with the results I'd love to see them.

With all the test units she's got out right now it won't be long till every Canna forum see's the same results. Even the latest will start seeing it in 4-5 weeks.

So what's been bugging me is this... Why do we need the same amount of watts to get the same results??

Facts:
LED uses targeted light spectrums so you waste no light.
LED vegges well and can keep up with HPS/mh with lower watts in veg.
HPS wastes a lot of light that the plant doesn't use.
HPS flowers better than LED without equal or more watts.

I'm no rocket scientist but my ghetto science tells me the issue with the LED's is that they are either:
1) missing a spectrum or spectrum's necessary for flowering
or
2) doesn't have the right ratio of spectrum's necessary for flowering.

I don't really see any other reason for the LED not keeping up in flowering with less watts. 1000w LED vs. 1000w HPS the plant is using all 1000w of LED and 1000w HPS is NOT. I forget the percentage of light from an HPS that a plants can't use but whatever that percentage is x% is a usable light advantage for the LED. Let's call is 15% although I think it's more. How can the HPS make up for this 15% disadvantage other than it has something the LED does not.

That's a good point, and is an example of the "growing pains" theory. I'm thinking that all the necessary science for flowering (with LEDs) hasn't been done yet here. A lot has, but the experiments indicate that more needs to be done. (Or that the growers aren't doing something right, but you'd figure at least one of them would have by now.)

That's a good point, and is an example of the "growing pains" theory. I'm thinking that all the necessary science for flowering (with LEDs) hasn't been done yet here. A lot has, but the experiments indicate that more needs to be done. (Or that the growers aren't doing something right, but you'd figure at least one of them would have by now.)

you would figure that if one of was doing something wrong the company would tell us, or warn us the right way to flower with leds since it is their product they designed and tested to make these claims that are made by them.

i dont see how so many people are getting it wrong that are testing out these lights?

you would figure that if one of was doing something wrong the company would tell us, or warn us the right way to flower with leds since it is their product they designed and tested to make these claims that are made by them.

i dont see how so many people are getting it wrong that are testing out these lights?

Nope, I don't think that's the problem at all.

Sorry to hear about your disappointing results, scumbragger. If you do another test, what new method(s) are you planning to use next time around? Doubling these results would be pretty cool--! That would place it into contender category vs. HPS for me; the only thing after that would be to see the price point drop, which will happen over time.

I'm still hopeful for your grow, Bux. As you point out, there are still a few weeks to go yet...maybe they'll fatten up nicely in that time.

I don't think we'll ever see quite the penetration with LEDs that we have with HPS, but the efficiency will definitely improve. That may mean adjusting our growing style to use these most efficiently...guess we'll see.

Regards,

-TL

20 of these under 4 panels should do it...going to try a grow using 4" rockwool cubes on top of each other for the first time! I think coverage and penetration is a problem so SOG is the only way to go!

mj111.jpg

Back
Top Bottom