The Beauty Of The Changing Seasons

Squirrel wants coffee.jpg

Is the art of real photography going to die?

With AI all around us and getting more an more deceiving, is it going to be impossible to determine whether the photo was created with AI, or by a true photographer?

I've been into the art of photography since the late 70's. Roll film, my own darkroom with all of the "current" equipment to develop my photos, dodge/burn and mask and create effects. It took hours and hours to create something unusual, or get that perfect amount of contrast, exposure and other effects.
My first "serious" camera was a Pentax K1000. LOL I could only dream of owning a Hasselblad Medium format camera, or even Nikon at that time.
I resisted the digital cameras like a plague for years, until finally there was really no choice. Roll film was harder to get and the world got taken over with the digital cameras and programs that could do in one second what it took hours to do in a darkroom.
Now there's Artificial Intelligence. Personally, I think it's a very bad thing for us photographers. We are going to get pushed out, just like the digital age pushed us out of the creativity we used to enjoy and spend so much time on.

What's your thoughts?

Is the art of real photography going to die?

With AI all around us and getting more an more deceiving, is it going to be impossible to determine whether the photo was created with AI, or by a true photographer?

I've been into the art of photography since the late 70's. Roll film, my own darkroom with all of the "current" equipment to develop my photos, dodge/burn and mask and create effects. It took hours and hours to create something unusual, or get that perfect amount of contrast, exposure and other effects.
My first "serious" camera was a Pentax K1000. LOL I could only dream of owning a Hasselblad Medium format camera, or even Nikon at that time.
I resisted the digital cameras like a plague for years, until finally there was really no choice. Roll film was harder to get and the world got taken over with the digital cameras and programs that could do in one second what it took hours to do in a darkroom.
Now there's Artificial Intelligence. Personally, I think it's a very bad thing for us photographers. We are going to get pushed out, just like the digital age pushed us out of the creativity we used to enjoy and spend so much time on.

What's your thoughts?
Im not a fan of AI and chatbot if its going to be used it should be law to say its only generated information not factual

Been observing silently for a bit. Love your photos, Cannafan.

I can appreciate the usefulness of AI, they're definitely helpful in some situations.
When they can do something in microseconds that would otherwise take me ages, it's pretty damn impressive tbh.
I feel its better used as a tool to compliment creativity, or help us and hopefully it's not a substitute for real people.
In the case of art & photography, perhaps it could be used for inspiration. Midjourney is neat.
Most of the content it generates is flawed in some way or another or brings up questions of copyright infringement.

Of course it'll change a lot of industries and when AI is used for nefarious purposes it can be scary or dangerous.
I heard we're trying to pass laws here in Canada to require AI content to be labeled as such so there's less trickery,
but that'll mostly effect the commercial industry and not those using it for attacks and impersonations.

What's your thoughts?
Don't get me started.

When I joined the ad business in 1979, the agency had about a dozen typesetters and a lead typographer. They were very talented and created Mechanicals of the poster and press ads, with stuck type and image overlays for the printers. Plus of course the original transparency. They were expensive works of art. It was all hot metal printing. Beautiful.

Six years later digital type had taken over. Suddenly everyone thought they were a typographer.

I recall a press ad, part of a campaign for the new Renault 5 in '85. We had shot a lime green car. Suddenly the client informed us this colour was not going to be available in the UK. Reshoot? Another £10K? No, there was some software that could just change the colour. Handy, but the rot had started.

Photography has gone the same way. Mrs T (a pro lenswoman, she learnt at the feet of Herman Leonard who let her take the last two frames of a roll) resisted digital like you for as long as possible.

We will never see the likes of Salgardo, Adams, Capa, Bresson, Arbus, Stieglitz etc etc again.

Something may have been gained. But more has been lost. The greater the ease of use, the greater the loss of quality.

You don't know what you've got til it's gone.

What is the water temperature this time of year there?
I don't know. I'd call it "fresh". Unless we're snowed in, we swim every day of the year, so acclimatizing now for the winter months. February is officially categorized as "Effin Cold" - but the real killer is if there's a cold wind when you get out. :eek:

Been observing silently for a bit. Love your photos, Cannafan.

I can appreciate the usefulness of AI, they're definitely helpful in some situations.
When they can do something in microseconds that would otherwise take me ages, it's pretty damn impressive tbh.
I feel its better used as a tool to compliment creativity, or help us and hopefully it's not a substitute for real people.
In the case of art & photography, perhaps it could be used for inspiration. Midjourney is neat.
Most of the content it generates is flawed in some way or another or brings up questions of copyright infringement.

Of course it'll change a lot of industries and when AI is used for nefarious purposes it can be scary or dangerous.
I heard we're trying to pass laws here in Canada to require AI content to be labeled as such so there's less trickery,
but that'll mostly effect the commercial industry and not those using it for attacks and impersonations.
:thanks:

Don't get me wrong, I use programs that are powered by AI, but I limit what I do with it. The programs upgrading forces it on you, and if you don't upgrade it stops working eventually....or is no longer supported.
The nefarious purposes is what bothers me most right now. As someone said earlier, videos created with AI that show something that never happened during a war.....well...this is going to get uglier.
Even if there are laws to make them label them generated by AI, it's going to be in tiny little letters on the screen and so quick that you can't possibly read it in time. Just like Big Pharma does when they advertise the drugs that could kill you. The warnings/cautions/side effects are so fast and tiny that you cannot catch it in time. Most people don't even try.

Back
Top Bottom