The Hexapus's Garden

Cool. Thanks, I have to go check out that report from Uncle cannabis. I miss Uncle Cannabis. I hope he's well.
Captain Blast too. And now Tead seems to have done a disappearing act. Maybe he's laying on a beach somewhere.

I miss the captain too...

Here are pictures of my hempies to make AK Gramma happy. I have all six in flowering now as if a couple days ago. I'm having second thoughts about this hempy business. The plants all seem to be going downhill and the ones that have been in flowering the longest are increasingly crappy looking. Ph level is good and steady for once, and the feed is the same as I used with success on other hex runs. I feel like if they were being run as regular dtw plants they'd be doing great.
I would punch holes in the bottom and turn them into regular pots. But with holiday obligations I'm not going to be around a lot in the next few weeks and am worried about the amount of water they'd go through in perlite pots. Besides which everything here is frozen solid and under 8" of snow which is making the rainwater collection tricky right now.
Leave them to continue as is to increasing sickliness, or punch holes and rework the system, using extra water. Hmmmm... :hmmmm: Second option seems better. But I'm not sure it's possible right now.

IMG_48424.JPG

IMG_48528.JPG

IMG_48433.JPG

WC: I advise adding 50% soil to the perlite when you decide to convert the pots back to regular. You are going to need the nutrients and microbes that soil gives to the ladies. Soil is more natural and will hold some moisture.

I came away from the hempy experiment with a 50/50 mix of coarse perlite with a good soil mix (sand, soil, vermiculite). I also top-dress with earthworm castings. I think this mix is light enough to aerate the roots without going totally non-soil.

As for carrying them over while you are away, Cover them with plastic film with some 1/4" ventilation holes for circulation. Water them good before you go, let them drain, then tuck them under the plastic wrap or big bag. Even a translucent garbage bag will work for about a week, if kept under the lights. But be sure and cut those ventilation holes.

Weasel, I know you ordered already, I just got an email off heir, he just harvested a purple paralysis, here's part of what he said;
No problems with her, and for all the abuse, made excellent buds by anyones standards. Sweet and skunky. And for the first time in recent memory, I'm baked. I smoke so much I never really get stoned anymore. But this shit just hit me in the frontal cortex. Vision/focus problems even, lol.

RECOMMENDED!!!

Purple lovers take note: Purple Paralysis Seeds were designed specifically for you! This Cream of the Crop feminized seed is a robust mix of two classics that retains the pure strength of Power Plant along with the softer colours and aromas of the classic Lavender strain.

Purple Paralysis Flowering Time = 65-70 Days
High Yields - 450 gr/m2 Inside, 650 gr/m2 Outside
Mould Resistant - Great for Cold or Moist Environments
You Have to Try This One if You Love Colour!
You can clearly see the vivid hues, but just wait until you can smell the clear notes of sweet Lavender behind the stronger spicy/hashy fragrance. Your nose will love you!

A Sativa-dominant hybrid with a full 22% THC, Cream of the Crop's Purple Paralysis is no shrinking violet! This baby goes all in with an energetic head high that has no apparent ceiling. Are you ready for liftoff?

Weasel, I know you ordered already, I just got an email off heir, he just harvested a purple paralysis, here's part of what he said;
No problems with her, and for all the abuse, made excellent buds by anyones standards. Sweet and skunky. And for the first time in recent memory, I'm baked. I smoke so much I never really get stoned anymore. But this shit just hit me in the frontal cortex. Vision/focus problems even, lol.

RECOMMENDED!!!

Purple lovers take note: Purple Paralysis Seeds were designed specifically for you! This Cream of the Crop feminized seed is a robust mix of two classics that retains the pure strength of Power Plant along with the softer colours and aromas of the classic Lavender strain.

Purple Paralysis Flowering Time = 65-70 Days
High Yields - 450 gr/m2 Inside, 650 gr/m2 Outside
Mould Resistant - Great for Cold or Moist Environments
You Have to Try This One if You Love Colour!
You can clearly see the vivid hues, but just wait until you can smell the clear notes of sweet Lavender behind the stronger spicy/hashy fragrance. Your nose will love you!

A Sativa-dominant hybrid with a full 22% THC, Cream of the Crop's Purple Paralysis is no shrinking violet! This baby goes all in with an energetic head high that has no apparent ceiling. Are you ready for liftoff?
I wonder if they sell them as NON-fem. I wouldn't mind having some high yield purp pollen.

Sent from my LGLS991 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

You could always go the colloidal silver route and spray one to force it to hermie and produce pollen. Not as good for genetic diversity but it does produce feminized seed.
I've refined my process now and I think this time it's going to work well. I put two identical new clones into flowering immediately after the cuttings showed roots. I'm spraying one with CS. It's starting to hermie now. When the hermie flowers are near ready to open I will put it in solitary confinement under a cfl somewhere so it cant impregnate anything it shouldn't. When it's dropping lots of pollen I'll bring the other clone in and 'rub then together' lol. Then the CS one will be destroyed and the pollinated one can carry on as usual- will be a very small plant for seeds only. This takes care of a lot of the pollen isolation issues, as well as any chance you'd be smoking a plant that was sprayed with silver- whether or not that's a health issue.

When you say "not as good for genetic diversity" what precisely do you mean? I thought about doing a CS seed run sometime like how you described but what would be the draw backs to knocking up a different strain with another strain treated with CS?

You could always go the colloidal silver route and spray one to force it to hermie and produce pollen. Not as good for genetic diversity but it does produce feminized seed.
I've refined my process now and I think this time it's going to work well. I put two identical new clones into flowering immediately after the cuttings showed roots. I'm spraying one with CS. It's starting to hermie now. When the hermie flowers are near ready to open I will put it in solitary confinement under a cfl somewhere so it cant impregnate anything it shouldn't. When it's dropping lots of pollen I'll bring the other clone in and 'rub then together' lol. Then the CS one will be destroyed and the pollinated one can carry on as usual- will be a very small plant for seeds only. This takes care of a lot of the pollen isolation issues, as well as any chance you'd be smoking a plant that was sprayed with silver- whether or not that's a health issue.
Have you ever had any issue with the CS fem seeds becoming hermies themselves?

Sent from my LGLS991 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Tossing my two strips worth to Lexort420's question:

Self-pollinating reduces the amount of genetic variation because you are not adding other genetics into the mix. Especially good if you are trying to stabilize a strain, and a phenotype within a strain.

Cross pollinating is good to bring in desired traits into the strain. Diversity also tends to strengthen the strain, with a few exceptions (like both parents with undesirable recessive genes.)

So, it depends on what you are looking for.

:goodluck:

Tossing my two strips worth to Lexort420's question:

Self-pollinating reduces the amount of genetic variation because you are not adding other genetics into the mix. Especially good if you are trying to stabilize a strain, and a phenotype within a strain.

Cross pollinating is good to bring in desired traits into the strain. Diversity also tends to strengthen the strain, with a few exceptions (like both parents with undesirable recessive genes.)

So, it depends on what you are looking for.

So lets say for the sake of argument i have a sour diesel female i like and its a good strain with no real drawbacks and i decide to treat it with CS and knock up a chocolate skunk female of good quality, would there really be any major issues or concerns? I realize there is really no way of knowing for certain since genetics aren't exactly predictable but would the resulting seeds be most likely stable and such or would the CS pollen screw up the genetics? Just in theory ofcourse. Please bare in mind im not well versed in breeding and such i still have alot of research to do lol

So lets say for the sake of argument i have a sour diesel female i like and its a good strain with no real drawbacks and i decide to treat it with CS and knock up a chocolate skunk female of good quality, would there really be any major issues or concerns? I realize there is really no way of knowing for certain since genetics aren't exactly predictable but would the resulting seeds be most likely stable and such or would the CS pollen screw up the genetics? Just in theory ofcourse. Please bare in mind im not well versed in breeding and such i still have alot of research to do lol

Interesting question! Commercial Breeders use CS liberally to produce fem seeds. I think all it does is force a change in sex hormones. If CS changed the genetics, breeders would not use it. They invest too many resources in producing their stable products.

Just my opinion, of course.

When you say "not as good for genetic diversity" what precisely do you mean? I thought about doing a CS seed run sometime like how you described but what would be the draw backs to knocking up a different strain with another strain treated with CS?

By the genetic diversity comment- I just meant that you'd be missing out on the male genes. So if you really wanted to preserve plant genetics for breeding purposes you'd be better to keep the options as open as possible and use a regular male and female for breeding. Then you'd presumably get seeds with a much wider variety of traits.
But for the purposes of making seeds as uniform as possible I think doing something like the CS thing would be best. I don't think there's a big downside other than what I just mentioned.
I know almost nothing about breeding though.

Have you ever had any issue with the CS fem seeds becoming hermies themselves?

My understanding is that plants will tend to hermie at roughly the same stress level as their parents did. So if a minor light leak resulted in hermie seed, the offspring is likely to hermie under an equivalent level of stress. CS seems like an extreme stress, and the offspring created from it aren't likely to have something like that happen to them normally.

That's the gist of what I've read about it. I may just be talking shit though, because I don't know really any of the biology behind this stuff.

heya friend,, cheers to ya,, you know,,

a q and a comment or a note at least,,

i harvested a buddha auto today,, chopped it all up and washed and hung,, not me,, the plant,, done er up nice,,

then,, i went to discard the leftover plant, in the pot, and i noticed, then i thot,, hey, look at that,, there is a few leaves left on that stump,, i wonder what would happen if one tried to reveg it??

dunno,, you ever hear or try such a thing,, i did yahoo it and it said that it has been done, darn i thot i was the first to think of such a thing,, but it does not produce results worthy of the effort

but,, i have room in me veg room to keep it around for a bit,

so i'm gonna,,

cheers friend

heya friend,, cheers to ya,, you know,,

a q and a comment or a note at least,,

i harvested a buddha auto today,, chopped it all up and washed and hung,, not me,, the plant,, done er up nice,,

then,, i went to discard the leftover plant, in the pot, and i noticed, then i thot,, hey, look at that,, there is a few leaves left on that stump,, i wonder what would happen if one tried to reveg it??

dunno,, you ever hear or try such a thing,, i did yahoo it and it said that it has been done, darn i thot i was the first to think of such a thing,, but it does not produce results worthy of the effort

but,, i have room in me veg room to keep it around for a bit,

so i'm gonna,,

cheers friend

It's worth a try. I have only had ONE successful reveg, and that is one I had left some veg on it. The bare stem leftovers simply withered away.

If there is enough of the Force left in the stump, you'll get sprouts all over it in a week or two under veg.

Ha, one successful,, me too,, i had chopped a plant, and the leftover stump still had some branches on it, no leaves,, we had company comin over to stay a bit, a week, so i put the pot down on the floor in the corner, and forgot about it,, dern thing grew some new growth,, ha, thing was i did not want it..

I have tried, purposely, two or three times to reveg a plant I wanted,, no way Jose, and my name is nivek,, aargh

The revegs I've tried mostly worked, but the three attempts I made with little or no growth left on the stem were failures.

Including the two veg plants I cut down as an experiment recently to see whether or not bare stems would regrow. Those weren't revegs from flowering, just severely cut veg plants, but they never recovered.
image18921.jpeg

I can't find the photo I took to confirm their death, so you'll have to trust me.

But- it's the word 'auto' that makes me think it won't work. I've never grown autos but to my understanding they're a straight up annual and drop dead after flowering, unlike regular cannabis which is an annual with perrrenial tendencies, and can sometimes be nurtured into growing another season.

Here a couple shots of my flowering room as of last night. I'm going away for a couple weeks, and as hopeful disaster prevention, and to ease the strain on my lovely assistant who will be checking on things, I put another watering system in yesterday. This one runs from an electric pump in the main (blue) rainwater barrel which is where I store plain rainwater. The white pipe runs down the wall, does a 90° turn to the right (which is distorted by the panorama effect), and then over to the center aisle where it's splits into two pipes, each with its own quadropus on the end. I didn't know I had two of those things but digging around yesterday- there they were. I had to go to a hardware store for some pipe connections and stuff, even though the local garbage dump stocks a far better range of products than the local store. But I was in a hurry.

IMG_507813.JPG

IMG_508012.JPG

I've set the timer for 5 minutes watering each day which gives each plant about 1/3 gallon a day and I'm thinking will keep them moist throughout the holidays. At least enough to survive if the girlie gets tied up somehow over Christmas. And no it won't be me that tied her up, even if she asks, cause I need her to check the plants.
Here's another pan of the flowers. I put another Malawi into flowering yesterday, and the Panama :party: (left side of the center -front right corner, if that makes any sense at all - the leafy looking one ).

IMG_508312.JPG

I don't know what we will be looking at in the new year but -fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom