The Hexapus's Garden

But- it's the word 'auto' that makes me think it won't work. I've never grown autos but to my understanding they're a straight up annual and drop dead after flowering, unlike regular cannabis which is an annual with perennial tendencies, and can sometimes be nurtured into growing another season.

yep, i hear ya,, iffin it was not for the fact that my veg area is near empty,, i would not have even considered the idea,, but i did look it up,, apparently the plant will go thru the whole routine again,, just perhaps not as vigorously, dunno, guess i am bored

experiment should be over soon enuf anyway,, every reveg i have tried has ended relatively rapidly,, for one reason or another

cheers friend,, golden tiger seed must have split by now,, gonna go look,,

yep, i hear ya,, iffin it was not for the fact that my veg area is near empty,, i would not have even considered the idea,, but i did look it up,, apparently the plant will go thru the whole routine again,, just perhaps not as vigorously, dunno, guess i am bored

experiment should be over soon enuf anyway,, every reveg i have tried has ended relatively rapidly,, for one reason or another

cheers friend,, golden tiger seed must have split by now,, gonna go look,,

My revegging male is coming back very strong. maybe because it's a male, and maybe because I left most of the foliage after I took out the pod spikes. This is my FIRST reveg success, so lesson learned: leave enough foliage to keep the roots alive!

If this is the secret, leaving about 1/3 of the veg, then I'll have more opportunity for cloning, and for saving a good strain.

Unfortunately, the autos are not suitable, as WC said, and those Sativa strains that drop all their leaves before harvest, obviously are not going to make it unless I leave enough popcorn buds.

I wonder if a plant needs to be in an out-of-the-way place, with subdued light to recover from harvest? It seems that those plants we tuck in a corner and forget seem to come back. Those we stick back under veg lighting do not, unless they have enough foliage.

That is exactly right about the subdued light, mimicking nature and the winter sun..

Here a couple shots of my flowering room as of last night. I'm going away for a couple weeks, and as hopeful disaster prevention, and to ease the strain on my lovely assistant who will be checking on things, I put another watering system in yesterday.

I've set the timer for 5 minutes watering each day which gives each plant about 1/3 gallon a day and I'm thinking will keep them moist throughout the holidays. At least enough to survive if the girlie gets tied up somehow over Christmas. And no it won't be me that tied her up, even if she asks, cause I need her to check the plants.
Here's another pan of the flowers. I put another Malawi into flowering yesterday, and the Panama :party: (left side -front right corner).

IMG_508312.JPG

I don't know what we will be looking at in the new year but -fingers crossed.

At the very least, she could mist the leaves every couple days to keep the RH up and provide moisture to the leaves, if the mechanism fails.

IMG_507913.JPG

Goodbye hempies. I went and drilled holes in the bottoms of their pots in an attempt to turn them into regular pots. They seem to be going downhill still and one is nearly dead. If I get time before I go I'll pull it out of the pot and check it's roots. My latest theory is that it's just root rot. I've been tweaking the feedings with these plants but they still seem way less healthy than their neighbours in peat moss. The only real difference I can see to cast my blame on at the moment is the hempy reservoir so I holed the entire collection. Too bad cause it took me a lot of scrounging to come up with six bleach bottles like that. If our fearless hempy guru was around I'm sure he'd have some advice, but since I'm going away I felt like I had to take drastic measures if there's to be any chance of rescuing these plants.
I didn't grade my perlite by straining it through something to remove the small stuff and dust, and when I cleaned out my perlite cloning tray recently I found a lot of white perlite dust sludge which was congealed on the bottom. Things smelled quite foul. So maybe this is what's to blame. If it seems to be the case, I will run at least one more hempy in better perlite, perhaps in a side by side grow with a perlite dtw plant (no hempy style reservoir) and see which does better for me.

IMG_50818.JPG

The two little Critical Cheese clones that I put straight into flowering at the first sign of rooting. Kind of a cute size. These are a seeding experiment where I'm spraying one with colloidal silver to turn hermie, and the other will play the role of the girl for seed bearing purposes.
The sprayed one is growing balls so I've put them both into a different room under a cfl.

IMG_50828.JPG

IMG_509010.JPG

Not so sure about their survival chances in that room as it's a bit cold and there are more light leaks at night to interrupt flowering - but hopefully they'll be ok in there.

WC: don't use the household Perlite in the little bags. It's mostly powder. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a big bag of COARSE perlite. Then mix that 50/50 with your soil mix for drainage. The dust/sludge is what's killing your plants, most likely because you didn't flush enough water through the hempys to wash that crap out.

We soil growers have a whole different method of watering, with the expectation that the salts will come out of the holes in the bottom. It's a hard concept to leave behind when switching over to Hempys.

You did precisely what I did with my hempys, when I gave up the experiment: drilled proper drainage holes. Maybe if you flush your plants really well, that sludge will wash out the bottom.

The other alternative is to take the plants out of the pots and clean out the former hempys, trim off the dying roots, and replace the spoiled soil with new. Clean the topside well, too, taking off all dried laves and rotting twigs, then replant. It sounds brutal, but it is the best way to save/rejuvenate those suffering plants.
:goodluck:

But then, you know all this. You've been growing weed a lot longer than I have, altho I have a few decades of regular plant-growing experience. It's the same concept for most flowering plants, shrubs, and trees, regardless of species. ;-)

At the very least, she could mist the leaves every couple days to keep the RH up and provide moisture to the leaves, if the mechanism fails.

Well, she could also water them the regular way out of the barrel, and I'm hoping she'll feed them all in a week or so, but the main concern is Christmas obligations pulling us in various directions, combined with snow, ice, blizzards, rough conditions on the water, closed highways, etc. So I'm just trying to blur the line between 'they'll be dead tomorrow if you can't make it', and 'they should be ok but keep whipping those huskies and try to get there soon'

Thanks for that advice AK. I have considered repotting them. Which would mean cutting the pots open to get the plants out because of their shape. I may do it if I have time (which is unlikely) or may just hope for the best and see if I can get these ones to turn around with better drainage. Based on what I saw in my cloning tray I don't think the sludge would wash out. It was seriously glommed on to the container.

IMG_507913.JPG

Goodbye hempies. I went and drilled holes in the bottoms of their pots in an attempt to turn them into regular pots. They seem to be going downhill still and one is nearly dead. If I get time before I go I'll pull it out of the pot and check it's roots. My latest theory is that it's just root rot. I've been tweaking the feedings with these plants but they still seem way less healthy than their neighbours in peat moss. The only real difference I can see to cast my blame on at the moment is the hempy reservoir so I holed the entire collection. Too bad cause it took me a lot of scrounging to come up with six bleach bottles like that. If our fearless hempy guru was around I'm sure he'd have some advice, but since I'm going away I felt like I had to take drastic measures if there's to be any chance of rescuing these plants.
I didn't grade my perlite by straining it through something to remove the small stuff and dust, and when I cleaned out my perlite cloning tray recently I found a lot of white perlite dust sludge which was congealed on the bottom. Things smelled quite foul. So maybe this is what's to blame. If it seems to be the case, I will run at least one more hempy in better perlite, perhaps in a side by side grow with a perlite dtw plant (no hempy style reservoir) and see which does better for me.

As much as i love the hempys i have always been nervous about them in your case since you are away alot. Im willing to bet its the perlite dust screwing them up i learned early on to rinse the perlite lol we as cannabis growers can only be lazy to a certain point lol. BTW thanks for posting how those reveg experiment went i been curious!

Yeah I meant to post that info sooner Lex since they've officially been dead for a week or so. Not sure what we learned here... I guess-when you trim your plants don't trim them down as much as I did ;) I was actually expecting them to regrow, or at least the one with the small leaves left on. So it seems like Cannabis isn't as hardy as some plants that will just keep on sprouting up from a bare stump (we usually refer to those plants as weeds).
At the time I filled those hempies I didn't really clue into the perlite being dusty. And at some point afterwards I heard Tead say that he rinses it out -and noticed that my cloning tray was rotting- but by then it seemed too late to repot. Which reminds me I forgot to pull the sickest hempy plant to check the roots. I'll go do that now.

IMG_55919.JPG

Ok as suspected the sickly plant had root rot. Holy shit I actually guessed right about something. Finally!

IMG_55926.JPG

This is what came out of the pot when I pulled it. Not much there and plenty of rotten roots in the container. It didn't stink though, just smelled clean and earthy.

IMG_55936.JPG

The greyish sludge at the bottom. I don't know whether to blame the sludge or not. But it seems possible that without the right sort of material at the bottom, like bigger perlite rocks with clear gaps between them, allowing lots of flow-through to clean the little reservoir, things would be more likely to fester and stagnate.

IMG_55947.JPG

Here are the five remaining hempies in flowering. They all look pretty sickly except the largest one at the back. Next run I think I'll try coco. Or perlite or rockwool dtw pots. Looking forward to 'doing it right next time' already, yet again. The grass is always greener, in the future.

IMG_55957.JPG

Another parting shot of the flower room, since I finally figured out that I can fit the whole room in with a panorama shot. Nice to have a full house again. Behave yourselves while I'm away, girls. Don't do anything I wouldn't. And just say no to mold, please.

OMG Weaselcracker, share a hug. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

"Doing it right....." You struck that sad cord in me too. My sick little hempy and I were having a talk. I have yet to transplant her - try again for tomorrow I guess. I have to get her onto some decent feed. She's begging for a chance to perform for me.

I know I can learn to do this. I just know it. I'm so hard-headed sometimes it's dangerous. :laughtwo:

Yes as you know I'm the same way. I hate to quit partway through, cause I know I'm just walking away confused from something when 'maybe', if I keep trying it, I'll at least have got to the bottom of the mystery. But rarely do I ever reach the bottom, no matter how low I go. And even with special mirrors set up in series, and bending over at just the right angle, painfully, it is hard for me to see the bottom, at all. Oh well, I know it's there, and sometimes it is best to move on.
I don't know that I'll make hempy work for me. I'm willing to try it again. But coco, and other dtw setups with multiple light feedings, did work for me very well. I look forward to doing with the hexapus what I intended to do this time, and the time before. Which is- grow a bunch of new and interesting strains, in a quick(ish) turnaround, just for fun.
If I was going to be around I would pop more seeds today- but I'm already pushing my luck.
I've been giving away the $100 CKS coupons I keep winning, but stockpiling a few seeds for myself from the $50 Gorilla coupons. Among them -another cbd strain-Dinafem Purple Orange CBD. Also Strawberry Blue, and Chocolate Mint OG- one which I first heard of on Uncle Cannabis' thread. Looking forward to trying to grow them, next year...

OMG Weaselcracker, share a hug. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

"Doing it right....." You struck that sad cord in me too. My sick little hempy and I were having a talk. I have yet to transplant her - try again for tomorrow I guess. I have to get her onto some decent feed. She's begging for a chance to perform for me.

I know I can learn to do this. I just know it. I'm so hard-headed sometimes it's dangerous. :laughtwo:

Honestly sweet sue i would flower your hempy it really doesn't look that bad i have flowered worse lol. Maybe give her some calmag as a prep for flower. To be quite frank your hempy looks kinda looks like mine when i tried the lucas formula thus why i didn't stick with it. I know you haven't made your way over to my journal to see but I grow in 2L bottles and gallon jugs cut in half and they do well enough and i pestered Tead to give 2L bottles a try and he ended up seeing the light lol. If I have learned anything its that even non pretty plants make great bud.

The great Korean language spam attack. It's times like this that I wonder why 420 doesn't have software to screen out stuff like this and all that kitchens spam. Seems like it would be so easy to do.

Now your advertising on your thread.. are you the spamweasel? :rofl::passitleft: man that two weeks went quick..

The great Korean language spam attack. It's times like this that I wonder why 420 doesn't have software to screen out stuff like this and all that kitchens spam. Seems like it would be so easy to do.

Maybe this'll scare 'em away.....

0023001.JPG

And if that don't work, then flip 'em the bird!

0032897.JPG

:tokin:

Heya friend I know you are out there somewhere. Just a heads up, golden tiger has cracked and in in the ground. Took twice as long to crack. Gonna be a journey me thinks. Cheers weaseley

Back
Top Bottom