Thirvnrob's Power Plant - TLO Soil In SIP Containers

With the expectation of explosive growth, it seems logical that there would be an expectation of the girls having a bigger appetite. I built my own soil from The Rev's recipes & "cooked" it for four months. I wonder If I should top dress - I hope to flip them one week from today so never mind if, but when should I top dress? Like every newbie, I have almost everything that Down To Earth has to offer, so I should be able to come up with a good concoction from the book, but I'm all ears if anyone has suggestions...
I like to top dress a week or two before flip.

I don't grow LOS but I recall folks saying that you need a bigger pot for LOS because there needs to be enough nutrition in the soil to last through harvest.

Are you thinking that it soil is already starting to run low on the elements? I can't recall anyone mentioning a downside to top dressing other than the cost.

Of course, top dressing a SIP probably has some additional steps to make sure those nutes make it down to the bottom, but I'm sure it's not complicated!

I don't grow LOS but I recall folks saying that you need a bigger pot for LOS because there needs to be enough nutrition in the soil to last through harvest.

Are you thinking that it soil is already starting to run low on the elements? I can't recall anyone mentioning a downside to top dressing other than the cost.

Of course, top dressing a SIP probably has some additional steps to make sure those nutes make it down to the bottom, but I'm sure it's not complicated!
I haven’t noticed any deficiencies at all, but if they take off like I’m expecting them to they’ll have quite an appetite, so I’m trying to be proactive…

A bed is preferred, but you can use as small as 5 gallon. Ive even kept mothers in 3 gallon fabrics for months. Just gotta keep feeding the soil. Beds are preferred though.

So, I top dressed them with 2 parts bat guano (5-3-1) & 1 part kelp meal (1-0.1-2) per The Rev’s suggestion. I put 3 piles on each of them just under the mulch layer - about 1/2 Tbsp in each pile, sprayed them in & top watered one quart each & the other quart in the res. Note to self: Remember to turn off the fans before top dressing. They’re taking a little over 2 quarts daily.
22FE8B35-5C05-4BDA-A317-9FA7C34BF18D.jpeg
0A72151B-1D29-4843-AE6C-5B544C7F4283.jpeg

I am beyond pleased with this grow thus far. In my first attempt with the TLO soil I blew it. I didn’t let the soil cook long enough & I didn’t give them enough attention when they were babies. I was frustrated from the grow before that - they all hermied due to poor environmental conditions on top of my leaving lights on a few times during flower. What actually frustrated me most was that my laziness & inattentiveness was to blame for all of it.
So I decided to regroup & focus on the task at hand. While the girls were babies I nurtured them from taking a few sprays of water to draining their solo cups in 24 hours & then up potted into 1 gallon bags with layers & spikes. My new batch of soil had been cooking for almost 4 months so I knew it was ready. For the next 4 weeks I focused on building good root systems & when I up potted to their current containers I thought I might have to cut the bags away. I’ve never had to fight so hard to get them out of these bags!
The other thing I was to clean & organize the pig sty I had been carrying out these failed grows in. What a difference it makes to have it all clean & tidy! No more clutter in the grow room!
The result of all of this is a renewed excitement for growing. I’m visiting the girls several times a day & just looking at them. I’m literally watching grass grow, but it’s not boring at all. The girls are thus far happy & healthy & I’m ready to see what they can do. The anticipation slows down time…

i grow my seedlings in a red solo cup with many holes in it , when i feel they are close to be root bound in the cups i move them to their final cloth 20 gallon pots in a t.l.o. soil and 25 % worm castings , i never go through with all this up potting thing , with 20 gallon pots its plenty big enough for my root systems to be well over 12 inches wide and i top my plants also and they finish at 4-5 ft tall and 8-10 zips of dried finished bud , they don't get up potted by mother nature outside , i have grown in 30 gallon pots and it worked great also , they were just a bitch to lift so i went back to 20 gallon pots , just plant in a 20 gallon pots and save the up potting grief and the cost of extra pots , i am using mother natures approach to how a plant grows outdoors and the KISS approach. why make more work - cost than you have too .

i top dress 2 weeks before i flip to flower 3 table spoons of gia green flower 2.8.4 on the edges of the pots , but natures best works great too , gia is just a lot cheaper here in Ontario for me , i use clover seeds as a cover crop in my pots also as clover is a nitrogen fixing plant plus the clover acts as a gauge to let me know if their is a problem in the soil before it becomes a problem for my cannabis plants , some people use straw as a cover crop but i like clover better .

i top dress 2 weeks before i flip to flower 3 table spoons of gia green flower 2.8.4 on the edges of the pots , but natures best works great too , gia is just a lot cheaper here in Ontario for me , i use clover seeds as a cover crop in my pots also as clover is a nitrogen fixing plant plus the clover acts as a gauge to let me know if their is a problem in the soil before it becomes a problem for my cannabis plants , some people use straw as a cover crop but i like clover better .
Thanks for that! I’ve been considering cover crops. Do you get them from the zon?

i grow my seedlings in a red solo cup with many holes in it , when i feel they are close to be root bound in the cups i move them to their final cloth 20 gallon pots in a t.l.o. soil and 25 % worm castings , i never go through with all this up potting thing , with 20 gallon pots its plenty big enough for my root systems to be well over 12 inches wide and i top my plants also and they finish at 4-5 ft tall and 8-10 zips of dried finished bud , they don't get up potted by mother nature outside , i have grown in 30 gallon pots and it worked great also , they were just a bitch to lift so i went back to 20 gallon pots , just plant in a 20 gallon pots and save the up potting grief and the cost of extra pots , i am using mother natures approach to how a plant grows outdoors and the KISS approach. why make more work - cost than you have too .
Man, I’d love to skip all that shit. I assume you use specific watering techniques?

Welcome! You & I are haunting the same journals. This is my first SIP attempt …
Post up some pictures and a link back to this thread over in #Sip Club once they get going. I'm sure we have many over there that will follow it over.

A bed is preferred, but you can use as small as 5 gallon. Ive even kept mothers in 3 gallon fabrics for months. Just gotta keep feeding the soil. Beds are preferred though.
A bed for an indoor grow?

Noticed it was back in Nov. right after I posted... lol.
Ok. I’ll confess. I put them on the pool table to take pics & left them under those bright, white lights overnight & that’s why the one got so leggy. Satan & Purple Kush made me do it…

A bed for an indoor grow?
Yep.

I don’t understand…
Basically it's just a big ass pot, generally felt, or some other breathable material. For instance, in a 4x4 tent, you run like a 100 gallon pot' "bed" and plant all your
20201015_061831_HDR.jpg
ladies in that. I used a 25gallon for a 2x2. Build a soil sells them. Some have pvc frames. If you look below the plants, its one big ass pot that fills the entire tent. This is a 2x3.

Back
Top Bottom