To Hell in A Hempy Bucket - Vrt CMH - Wonder Woman/Red Dragon

i left the lights on last night 27 hours to be exact.
now im going 24 hours of darkness. but when i shut the lights down i noticed the braches budding has increased. budage over has increased. ill change the times tomorrow night to a daytime schedule. in case we get a warm day i can put them outside then in at night. save some wattage.
the buds are very dense and hard. your gonna be happy you picked WW.:cheer:

A rooftop wind farm :popcorn:

:peace:

Checked into having a home wind turbine but there was no way I was going to get a permit. We are going solar when we re-roof in the next year or two.

The problem is not electrical use but installation. The location of the grow in the garage does not allow for any venting to the outside. I would have to create a separate space within in the garage to cool and vent into the garage. Combined with the lack of an outlet for direct connection, it just does not make sense.

So step 1 is whirly greasing and step 2 is picking strains that grow in hot places. Currently thinking Acapulco Gold :grinjoint:and .......?:roorrip:

i left the lights on last night 27 hours to be exact.
now im going 24 hours of darkness. but when i shut the lights down i noticed the braches budding has increased. budage over has increased. ill change the times tomorrow night to a daytime schedule. in case we get a warm day i can put them outside then in at night. save some wattage.
the buds are very dense and hard. your gonna be happy you picked WW.:cheer:

Dense hard buds would make me very happy!:cheer:

Starting to be some more interesting happenings to take pics of.

Set 1 Wonder Woman

031211_001.JPG

Removed the yellow leaves from the under-nute phase. Not to concerned because they would have gone in the first trim anyway. I have doubled the amount of DMP/OC+ in the coffee filters and doubled the strength of the MaxiGrow. Still under the suggested low dose of MaxiGrow.

The pots were also top dressed with some Vemiblend:

A rich blend of compost, earthworm castings, Alaskan Humus, Fossilized Kelp and Mycorrhizae will help you grow a lush bountiful organic garden.

Very rich looking black dirt.

The WW is at about 20" and stretch seems to be stopping. Perfect.

Set 1 Red Dragon

031211_003.JPG

Looking real sweet at about 24".

Didn't get pics of the Set 2 plants but they are doing fine. Both the WW & RD are at about 20" already. Seems to be faster growth. I haven't changed their nute schedule to reflect what I learned from the first set.

Now a little side trip.

Vanilla Kush A & B
031211_005.JPG

23" & 13". Two seeds planted at the same time and treated exactly the same. Put into 12/12 at the same time as Set 2 to determine sex. I might grow females out just like I did with the RD seedling. Only problem is that the small 1/2 gallon hempies require daily watering but it is fun to have different buds sooner!:cool: The RedDragon test was awesome :grinjoint:

j Herer

031211_006.JPG

About 20" high. JH wasn't 100% happy with the transplant process but coming back strong. A possible contender for the final two spots. Originally planted about 10 weeks ago and languished in a small hempy in veg.

Also starting to pull the remaining 4 over nute plants out of 12/12 for harvest. They still have enough of the original nutes to want to do some extra foxtail growth but I just want them out and done. Should be an interesting mix of clear,amber and milky trichs.

Checked into having a home wind turbine but there was no way I was going to get a permit. We are going solar when we re-roof in the next year or two.

The problem is not electrical use but installation. The location of the grow in the garage does not allow for any venting to the outside. I would have to create a separate space within in the garage to cool and vent into the garage. Combined with the lack of an outlet for direct connection, it just does not make sense.

So step 1 is whirly greasing and step 2 is picking strains that grow in hot places. Currently thinking Acapulco Gold :grinjoint:and .......?:roorrip:

Actually, I was thinking more of whirly adding :grinjoint: Getting that attic cooler would go a long way. Venting a separate area into the garage in the summer could be like pissing into the wind. Up and out, the quicker the better , 30 bucks a fan:goodluck: I'm going to play with silica, too.

Michoacán, or Oaxacan might be some other options? :tokin:

So, solar shingles, peel and stick pv on metal? What are you thinking of doing? There's some pretty good credits out there right now... and adaptations on the Savonius rotor are getting cooler... or hotter if yer trendy :smokin:

Actually, I was thinking more of whirly adding :grinjoint: Getting that attic cooler would go a long way. Venting a separate area into the garage in the summer could be like pissing into the wind. Up and out, the quicker the better , 30 bucks a fan:goodluck: I'm going to play with silica, too.

Michoacán, or Oaxacan might be some other options? :tokin:

So, solar shingles, peel and stick pv on metal? What are you thinking of doing? There's some pretty good credits out there right now... and adaptations on the Savonius rotor are getting cooler... or hotter if yer trendy :smokin:

Part of the problem is that the garage does not have an attic. It is open all the way to the peak. Plus it is built for no snow SoCal so it would take partial reframing to put up an interior ceiling..this would require finding someplace to put all the stuff in the garage and very low on the Mrs. Tokes honey do list. :)

So I am going to go McGrowver. Starting with some extra fans I have around.

If the whirly works, I am going to put an extra honeywell fan, like I am using in the grow, up into the rafters. Theoretically it should blow some of the hot up and out through the whirly. it can be put on an inline cooling thermostat. The extra airflow should also help cool the lid.

Even when days are hot, night time temps drop into the 60's. I have an extra dual exhaust fan for windows that I am going to try and rig over the dormer vent. Put on a timer, it should bring in cool night air.

Now when air is being exhausted, new air needs to replace it. Part of the garage shares a wall with the laundry room. Going to start with a register vent in the wall that can passively pull in cool air from the house which tends to be kept at 75 during the summer. Better than 90+ garage air or outside air.

I did see a sweet option at Costco. They had some solar attic fans that also can run on house current at night. Thermostat controlled. $299.

The current house attic fan is old, noisy, & electrically inefficient. Also needs to have someone flip the switch to go on. I figure that the energy savings from replacing the house fan could cover the cost of both fans. :grinjoint: Make Mrs. Tokes and the girls happy at the same time.:)

Besides the AC. I have thought of looking for a pure Thai or African strain. Just for a little something different.:cool:

Forgot the solar part. Looking into all options. There is one company here that installs standard panels along with solar shingles. They have a program that finances the project through sharing the revenue from excess electricity. Some how I am supposed to end up with $0 electrical cost and $0 system cost. Works for me.

Right now the project is a pile of brochures.

I thought I had heat problems.....nothing compared to yours. Can't say your not thinking of ways to help. Many choices. I would consider that one that makes the family happy first......might alter Mrs Toke's out look. :grinjoint:

Mrs. Tokes is pretty happy at the moment. I fully funded the vacation account. The prospect of a cheeseburger and mai tai at the Hula Grill on Kaanapali Beach brightens her outlook. :) She is also happy that her front flowers look so beautiful this year. Had to dump the hempy runoff somewhere.:grinjoint:

Set 3 getting ready for action.

031411_001.JPG

A pair of Wonder Woman each from a different original seedling that were also different from the WW already in the grow. They have lived a long life so far in the mini-hempy cups. Probably close to two months. They are 15" tall. The upside to spending that long in mini-hempies is that it was a cup full of roots and the girls are very bushy.

The downside to being in mini-hempies that long was exhibited by the remaining Blue Dragon and Headband plants. Showing the beginnings of balls in veg. Chop, chop. The end of those two strains in the garden.

JH & Vanilla Kush clones will go into mini-hempies for the next stage of the set 4 competition.

The Wonder Woman are now in pots with red lava res and a red lava/soil mix 50/50. The soil mix is 1/3 coco, 1/3 my FFOF mix and 1/3 VermiBlend. I also upped the initial dosage of Mater Magic/ DM Brown Organic to 1 1/2 tablespoon placed one level above the res on the opposite side of the pot from the plant.

These girls should hit the res in 3 days. Will be LST'd at 18' to 20". get about 3 days to adjust. Then into 12/12. Probably be about 10 days total.

By then the contestants should be ready for the final judging.:grinjoint:

Hey TT it feels like it took me weeks but I'm finally caught up! Everything looks good. Do you think growing them so big in the mini-hempies made them hermie? Somewhere else I was reading someone thought it stunted their growth after transplant? I hope you have neither issue.... :tokin:

Hey TT. :yummy:

I was about to comment on having 15" plants in a small cup, but Blue beat me to it. Keep in mind I know nothing about hempy and grow in soil, but I would never do that in soil. Who knows what stress that has put them through. Blue may be right. You know me well enough to know I hate negative comments, but in this case I just had to. :peace:

Hey TT it feels like it took me weeks but I'm finally caught up! Everything looks good. Do you think growing them so big in the mini-hempies made them hermie? Somewhere else I was reading someone thought it stunted their growth after transplant? I hope you have neither issue.... :tokin:

Glad you are less blue Blue.:thumb:

The problem was not growing them that big. It was leaving them at that size in the mini-hempy for so long that they had started to pre-flower, were root bound and needed water twice a day and sometimes did not get it fast enough. So after a week or two of doing the female pre-flower thing, they started to do the male thing too.

All my fault for having too many plants and nowhere to put them.

This pre-flowering is kind of strange because the lighting is at 24/0.

I'm guessing it has something to do with plant growth in relation to container size.

Mini-hempy plants stop growing taller at about 10" to 12". Then they go through a stage of bushing out. When that stops they must feel the need to do something else.

So far i have had no problem with growth being stunted after transplant. The plants kept in mini-hempies to the end of the bushing stage seem to yield slighly more. data is limited.

Generally, I want to transplant at about the point were growth stops and no later than when bushing stops. These plants just went longer because I had no place else to put them.:surf:

Hey TT. :yummy:

I was about to comment on having 15" plants in a small cup, but Blue beat me to it. Keep in mind I know nothing about hempy and grow in soil, but I would never do that in soil. Who knows what stress that has put them through. Blue may be right. You know me well enough to know I hate negative comments, but in this case I just had to. :peace:

OMM, I don't consider an honest observation or opinion to be a negative comment.:thumb:

These plants were left too long in cups. The Wonder Woman were meant to be transplanted in 1/2 gallon hempies to be moms but there was not room yet. They were originally the tops of the seedlings and were cloned just to see what happened. What happened was that they grew about 25% taller than clones in mini-hempies usually do.

They have super tough main stems that are like bamboo. Not sure how much bend I can get for an LST. They also have many tightly spaced nodes.

The two plants that went hermie were about 12" tall and definitely should have been transplanted about a month ago. The space was being taken up by the vegging of sets 1 and 2.

You can definitely grow plants bigger in hempies than in the same size soil container. My most beautiful vegging plant is a 30" tall GMP mom that is in a 1/2 gallon hempy.

I have a 1 gallon hempy Headband about to be harvested and it will actually be yielding more than its twin which was in a 2.5 gallon hempy. Might have something to do with the more frequent watering.

The 1 gallon hempies can grow plants as big as I need for my space but generally need watering everyday. Two days at the most. 2.5 gallon hempies can usually go 3 to 4 days and 7 days with a greater percentage of soil.

Later, I will have to report on the poor clones that got abused during this over crowding phase. :surf:

This pre-flowering is kind of strange because the lighting is at 24/0.

All plants will reach sexual maturity with age even under 24/0 schedule no matter what the container size.

Back
Top Bottom