love me some Hogan's Heroes...usta watch when i was little w/my pops...he thought it was hilarious. when i was old enough to respond to questions when i got in trouble, i would say "i know nut--ting". idk how funny he thought that was...

happy holidaze everyone!

Cook me something, Lebeau! I got the munchies now! :)

0013426.JPG

Happy 420 Weaselcracker!

Thanks Chimp! I've got nothing as impressive as that to show off- just finished up for good with with the work site and the almost boss. :thumb: well... other than getting paid of course but at least I'm out of here. After I lay in the sun for a while and finish up this vape full of reserve Golden Tiger.
Cheers to all my 420 friends. Seems like it's been a good year for the grows. We're all moving forward, no one got in much trouble as far as I know, and we're all learning new tricks. Thanks for all the good chats and here's to another good year. :passitleft:

Hey Lexort- you snuck in as I was typing. Cheers mate.

Great to hear it all worked out nicely Weasel. Enjoy that Golden Tiger it sounds like it's all come together at once and sunny days ahead. All the best to you and everyone else here celebrating 420 :thumb:

Hey Weasel, question about grafting. If discussed before please forgive.
Assuming all females, if you graft two different strains to the host plant, and allow (force?) all to hermie, when the ladies self pollinate, will they cross pollinate? Will the seeds be viable? Would you wind up with 3 or more cross strains?
If this is a stupid question, just shoot me ;)

I don't think it's stupid- but I think I'm too stupid to answer it properly.
I did read the opinion from somebody that the proper way to make fem seed is not to force hermies, and then allow it self pollinate, but instead- to use it (the hermied plant) to pollinate a clone of itself. Otherwise (he said) you'll end up with more hermie prone seed.
Not sure really what the difference would be (skipping a bunch of long winded speculation)
That info was from Dr Gonzo. Who seems to be gone now. I'll link to his post if I can find it. Also totally possible that what he said he was wrong or full of shit. Quite a lot of people including myself have treated one limb of a plant with CS and let it pollinate other (unaffected) parts of the same plant. The seeds I've produced that way haven't shown any hermie traits. But that's a little different than if I was picking the seeds out of the sprayed part itself.
So yeah... I just don't know.
A good place to ask this question might be here. Creating Female Seeds Using Colloidal Silver - With Doc Buds High Brix Blend Kit

I recently watched a video from a well known grower who's name I can't remember right now. He said that he takes two females of the same strain and forces one to hermie, then uses the pollen to pollinate the other female plant. He then collects the seeds from the second plant and claims to have fem seeds that have no noticable tendencies to hermie. Bullshit or not..I can't say.

What I've generally been doing is treating one clone wih CS and using to pollinate another clone of the same strain, to produce fem seed. I think that's fine (as far as the whole fem seed thing goes) and the regular way to do it. I'd like to have examples of my favourite strains in the seed collection, just to have them. Though having said that, I'm also more keen in the long run to pollinate properly, with males. Hoping at least one of the Honduras and Golden Tiger plants will be male for this purpose. My biggest problem right now is lack of space and really it means building a whole new grow room somewhere just for pollination.

What really got me curious about letting the grafts and host go hermie was whether or not multiple cross strains could be created from one plant with grafts. So instead of just self pollinating, the other graft and host would cross pollinate. Thought it might be a creative way to breed new crosses in a limited space with limited number of plants. If cross pollinated seeds germinated, you could let them grow and then pick out the best phenos of each and clone them.?

Oh totally. Though it would be difficult to control what you got- just a bunch of mystery seeds unless you did it by hand with pollen from a separate hermie or a male. I basically did the graft for a fun experiment. I thought that as a concept of having a multi-strain mother it was a bit more trouble than it would be worth. But I can really see that actually it would be great to have such a plant. I could have all my strains in one plant for cuttings and just grow out whichever clones I felt like growing at the time.

Oh totally. Though it would be difficult to control what you got- justba bunch of mystery seeds unless you did it by hand with pollen from a separate hermienirna male. I basically did the graft for a fun experiment. I thought that as a concept of having a multi-strain mother it was a bit more trouble than it would be worth. But I can really see that actually it would be great to have such a plant. I could have all my strains in one plant for cuttings and just grow out whichever clones I felt like growing at the time.

Definitely a fun thing to play with. Thanks for gettin the wheels spinning :thumb:

I wonder if you would have any input on this thread I started last night?
Pain.

If it was me you were asking, I took a hop over there already. I'm not as well versed as the group thats there, I just try things and use what works for me. But I'll head over again.

Yeah I meant you Snarlyweed. I wasn't sure if you have your licence because of pain- do they give out licences for other reasons?
And by the way I've been doing more digging re the national medical licencing and I have to admit that it seems more reasonable than I expected. I mean- the avenue is basically there- if you can jump through all the right hoops, find a reasonable doctor, and fill out the correct forms. Pretty sure that I don't want to do that stuff and rather would have it just actually be legal, so I can grow what I want and mind my own business- but that's my choice and at least on the face of it it sounds like there is a legitimate option out there.

Another thing for you- when you were asking about the self pollination this morning- and I was talking about whether or not it's a good idea to self pollinate- one person I was thinking would be able to answer this question (besides Dr G) is VillageIdiot. He's very knowledgeable and also very generous with his time when he's around. I didn't mention him because he's been gone for months- but I see he's resurfaced.
@villiageidiot

Yeah I meant you Snarlyweed. I wasn't sure if you have your licence because of pain- do they give out licences for other reasons?
My script is for pain and insomnia. I also have gastro-intestinal issues. My pain is mostly joint and lower back pain.

And by the way I've been doing more digging re the national medical licencing and I have to admit that it seems more reasonable than I expected. I mean- the avenue is basically there- if you can jump through all the right hoops, find a reasonable doctor, and fill out the correct forms. Pretty sure that I don't want to do that stuff and rather would have it just actually be legal, so I can grow what I want and mind my own business- but that's my choice and at least on the face of it it sounds like there is a legitimate option out there.
I live in the downtown area of a city, in a main floor apt of a 3 story house. I can't grow outdoors,, I need stealth. And I also need peace of mind for myself, my girlfriend and my dogs. Being legal gives us some comfort. If a cop comes to my door for any reason, I don't have to worry if I've been smoking, or if paraphernalia is visible. It's just less stress.

Another thing for you- when you were asking about the self pollination this morning- and I was talking about whether or not it's a good idea to self pollinate- one person I was thinking would be able to answer this question (besides Dr G) is VillageIdiot. He's very knowledgeable and also very generous with his time when he's around. I didn't mention him because he's been gone for months- but I see he's resurfaced.
@villiageidiot.html

Thanks, I'll check that out.

I promise there will be an increase in actual plant action on this journal soon. Just had time there to feed and water and run off again.

Life's been busy- last night I was staring at this jungle wondering wtf am I doing this for? I've got way more growing going on than I actually need to have going on. All these different strains and stuff. Why? Should I cut back to a few favourite strains and stop constantly pushing the limits of my time and space?
Mainly I'm just having fun, and have a thousand things I want to explore and learn about- and only space to squeeze in a few of them. Having too much fun to stop I guess.
So- no I probably won't stop. It's the same thing with my vegetable gardens. I could just go buy veggies and save myself all the work and commitment - why spend the summer digging and watering and weeding.. but somehow it seems very important to me to have a garden, so wtf I guess. I have to do some stuff in life I regard as a waste of time, and gardening has never been one of them for some reason.
Having said that- I still would like to simplify things a little if possible. I've been feeling like I'm on a one way track to more and more complicated. I'll never be able to fit in 10% of what I'd like to fit in- so maybe I should learn to backpedal a little.

Anyway- things are good with the planties. Clipped another mouldy bud on a PCMT. Finally hit a sweet spot where all the plants are taking the same bloom mix and I just needed to do one large mix then dilute it to different levels for various strains.

IMG_99465.JPG

Left side. The damaged leaves on the hex plants are from early on when I had the salts buildup. Fixed by a flush. There's a coco grower on 420 who keeps saying you don't need to have runoff in coco- so I took his advice for awhile. I no longer believe him. Also a little heat stroke especially in the Jack Herer cross which is somewhere at the left - big curled leaves. Can't all be perfect.

IMG_99474.JPG

Right side

IMG_99485.JPG

Flowering

The two old plants in the corners only needed water. Hex res- all I had to do was add water because I'm weening them off the food now.
It's so pleasant at the end when all I have to do is water. Was pretty complicated there for a while with the early flowering ones needing different levels of nitrogen and whatnot.
It must be very nice to grow in organic soil where you don't have to juggle the feedings and ph- once you figure out the initial soil mix after years of study, that is. ;)

IMG_99492.JPG
Veg is uhh- overgrown again. Besides the ones you can see there are 27 small ones in one gallon pots tucked underneath the foliage.
So yeah- anyway- (counting)... I count four plants in total - all doing fine and I hope to start some harvesting
in a few days.

Seems to me you need to give yourself a really good reason to justify reducing the number of strains in one grow. Maybe you could make up something more scientific than "I ran out of room" LOL! The pheno hunt Spitz mentioned is a good reason, So is another seeding experiment, so you dont have to buy any more seeds of your favorite strain.

I discovered with my first seeding venture that your male(s) WILL pollenate everything in the grow, so stick with one or two strains that you don't mind getting a shitty harvest from, as long as you get a stash of seeds.

Back
Top Bottom