What size water pump?

HigherTheHigh

I have created my own irrigation setup to feed 6 plants, the pump I tried was a Maxijet 500 lph and it barely did anything with no pressure at all.

My system is a ring with 6 feeders that sprinkle them connected to a 6 to 13mm connector and then the pump.

Anyone recommend a pump for me that would pump at most 6 plants.

I'd use a ShurFlo RV pump if it was me needing it-3.5GPM@45psi -you'd
need a 12v power supply,though.

@Old Salt might be able to give you some pointers, he's got a sweet automatic irrigation system going...

I'm upgrading my system to use an RV pump as well. The pump has arrived, but mine turns on at 20 PSI and off at 35PSI. Here's what I've ordered the parts for:

full

pump: Amarine Made 1.2gpm 12VDC 1.7A (e-Bay)
pressure tank: Almencla 125 PSI Accumulator (Amazon)
filter: Reusable Spin Down Sediment Water Filter Faucet Water Purifier Water Prefilter Sediment Filter for Well Water Hose Sediment Filter(1/2" Male Thread) (Amazon)

Hi,
Nice setup :thumb:
I have built and is using a couple of similar systems. My systems are not build as rings though, they've got a closed end, but that doesn't matter. I'm using Maxi-Jet 1000. They pump enough for your needs. Unless your sprinklers are too hard to push the water through. I don't use any sprinklers, I just have the little 4/6 mm hose ending right at the stem. The coco will absorb it all around anyway, so sprinklers are not necessary in my opinion. You can try without them, perhaps your pump is good enough? I currently feed 4 plants with my setup, but will shortly add another 3. A drizzle at the base of the stem is all you need, then you just time it to give them enough with runoff.
I hope that is coco in the pots? If not, forget what I said.
At what height is your nute container? In relation to your plants I mean.

I should add I use a 13 mm main line, and 6/4 mm feeder lines that goes up to each pot.

Hi,
Nice setup :thumb:
I have built and is using a couple of similar systems. My systems are not build as rings though, they've got a closed end, but that doesn't matter. I'm using Maxi-Jet 1000. They pump enough for your needs. Unless your sprinklers are too hard to push the water through. I don't use any sprinklers, I just have the little 4/6 mm hose ending right at the stem. The coco will absorb it all around anyway, so sprinklers are not necessary in my opinion. You can try without them, perhaps your pump is good enough? I currently feed 4 plants with my setup, but will shortly add another 3. A drizzle at the base of the stem is all you need, then you just time it to give them enough with runoff.
I hope that is coco in the pots? If not, forget what I said.
At what height is your nute container? In relation to your plants I mean.

I should add I use a 13 mm main line, and 6/4 mm feeder lines that goes up to each pot.

Are you running drain-to-waste or a recirculating system?

I like having the drippers on my lines, as they control the rate of flow. With four drippers I get about 250ml / plant / min. A timer currently controls the amount per watering. I'm working on something that will adapt to the plant's needs automatically.

I like having the drippers on my lines, as they control the rate of flow. With four drippers I get about 250ml / plant / min. A timer currently controls the amount per watering. I'm working on something that will adapt to the plant's needs automatically.

I have valves on each feeding line. They can be adjusted to turn the feeding for a pot off completely or make less flow rate for low consumers.
That automatic feeding sounds interesting. I just feed my girls every 3rd hour.

Your in a 2x4 tent? The RV pump is a lotta pump for such a small space. I was using a little 260 no problem but went with a 530 pump because it had the fittings I needed.

If your using pressure compensating hardware you'll need the higher psi but valves work just fine for an even watering.
Screenshot_20200205-082032_DuckDuckGo.jpg

This one draws from the bottom and works well so far.

20200123_144736.jpg
20200121_144413.jpg
20200203_072833.jpg
20200203_072854.jpg
20200203_075613.jpg
20200203_080726.jpg

If your gonna go the small fountain pump way make sure everything you buy is free flow for the system. Anything pressure compensating wont work unless under more pressure.

You can either get a pump with a larger 'head' or pumping height, or go with a pressure controlled pump. If you go the pressure controlled pump, I recommend the pressure tank. The pressure tank will reduce the pulsation in the lines as the pump cycles on and off.

For what it's worth I get runoff after a minute or two with that pump posted above. It goes through 5gal really quick.

If your not getting good flow and it's only going 15cm= ~6" then maybe something is not right in the system?

Are any of the components in your drip system "pressure competing"? Those will require a minimum psi to properly open.

idk what 500lph is to gph but I was using a 200+GPH and was worried getting the bigger pump would be too much power. Your only watering 6 plants so a giant pump and system may be overkill.

I have created my own irrigation setup to feed 6 plants, the pump I tried was a Maxijet 500 lph and it barely did anything with no pressure at all.

My system is a ring with 6 feeders that sprinkle them connected to a 6 to 13mm connector and then the pump.

Anyone recommend a pump for me that would pump at most 6 plants.

Screenshot_20200205-114812_DuckDuckGo.jpg

The pump you picked was just a tad too small

If your gonna go the small fountain pump way make sure everything you buy is free flow for the system. Anything pressure compensating wont work unless under more pressure.
Do you know if anyone's doing or a way to set off the drip with a free-flowing line with Pressure Compensating drippers?

Back
Top Bottom