Xlr8's Quest For The Best - 2012

High Everyone! :welcome:

What this grow is all about: This is a journal about my ongoing "Quest for the Best" when it comes to medicinal cannabis. As the title suggests, quality is the primary goal here, and what it's all about. I only grow for my own medicinal needs, and always seek ways to learn and improve upon what i do. Likewise, I'm passionate about helping others, and I welcome any and all questions and feedback in this thread. Additionally, I want to showcase some of the existing and newest products from our sponsor, Blue Planet Nutrients. I'm currently about 2 1/2 weeks into the bloom phase, but I'll get things caught up with some pictures from the beginning of the grow to this point.

How I'll be getting there: This will be my 4th start to finish grow using the Blue Planet Nutrients 3-part Elite series nutrients. But wait - this time there's more: In order to really maximize quality and yield, I'm going to take this up a notch by featuring the newest additives/supplements from Blue Planet, in addition to their base nutrients and their original "Liquid Blue" bloom booster.

Simply stated these nutrients perform and helped me win "Nug of the Month" with my "Super Lemon Haze", September 2012. The value and service are also second to none, and I can't wait to take this to the next level with their newest products.

Want the best performing, best valued nutrient products for your plants too? BluePlanetNutrients.com

Blue Planet Nutrients (3 part formula):

blueplanet.jpg
:morenutes:

My primary hydro system:
I'm using a "bastardized" version of the Titan controls "Flo N Gro" system. Instead of buying the whole system, I bought the controller, a 6 site upgrade, and purchased/fabricated the rest of the pieces myself (pumps, reservoirs, fittings, etc.) Basically, it's similar to the CAP Ebb N Gro, but with 4 gallon square pots with square net pots inside of them. It is, by far, my favorite way to grow!

Check out my: Titan Controls Flo N Gro Review

floNgro.gif

I'm use a Grow Lab GL80L tent for flowering, -- which is contained in it's own grow room (about 3' x 5'):
gl80l.jpg

For lighting: Once seedlings have matured to veg stage and beyond, I run (2) 400w lights (MH for vegging, HPS for flowering). About 53 watts per sq ft. They are Hydrofarm air-cooled hoods, and I am using digital ballasts to drive them: (1) Quantum, and (1) Lumatek. I use Hortilux Super HPS bulbs for flowering exclusively.

In my small veg space: I have a 2' 4 bulb T5HO. I have my own DIY hydro system for keeping hydro moms and occassionally pre-vegging plants prior to placing in the Flo N Gro. It is a uniquely "Xlr8" creation. ;) Basically, the plant sites work as DWC with periodic root-zone floods that also allow the oxygen-rich nutrients to be recirculated back to a remote reservoir.

At the moment, I have 5 plants in the flower tent, 3 of which are my own crosses. They are:

(2) Deadhead Ripper (Cali Connection Deadhead OG x TGA Subcool Jack the Ripper)
(1) OG Ripper (Reserva Privada OG Kush x TGA Subcool Jack the Ripper)
(1) Pineapple Express G13 Labs
(1) Jack the Ripper TGA Subcool, (this one is being grown in Coco Coir, separate from the Flo N Gro system)

Finally I want to say a huge :thanks: in advance to everyone who comes along for the ride - I'll try my best to make it a good one! :)

Aug 29 update -

Here's the tent with the Flo N Gro buckets (and a Jack the Ripper momma). Top Row: Pineapple Express (Patty) and Deadhead Ripper (Jackie). Bottom row, OG Ripper (Betty) and Deadhead Ripper (Debbie). Jack the Ripper mom is in an Airpot with Coco Coir:

aug_29_4.jpg

Sept 11 update:

Things are vegging along nicely at the moment. The plants in the Flo N Gro are really starting to perk up after being topped, and the Jack the Ripper mom in with them, which was recently thinned, is already bushing up again. :)

Drives me crazy, that the colors look so good until I upload them. Always shifts to a "yellower" look upon uploading it seems like. Oh well!​

Gals in the Flo N Gro, (plus Jack the Ripper mom, and a SLH snuck in temporarily)... Flo N Gro top row: Pineapple Express, Deadhead Ripper. Bottom row: OG Ripper, Deadhead Ripper:
sep_11_4.jpg

From the side:
sep_11_5.jpg

Sept 17 update - Bloom phase (day 1 completed)

The plants just completed their 24 hour dark period, and now first day of reduced hours for flowering. Instead of the traditional 12/12 light cycle, I'm going to flower them with 11.5 hours "on" and 12.5 "off" (11.5/12.5). Again, I'm growing primarily sativa hybrids. This is the same light cycle I used for my last round, and I was pleased with the results.​

Group picture from above, immediately after coming out of their dark period. They look yellowish in the pictures, but in person the new growth is a healthy, almost "electric" green.
Top: Pineapple Express, Deadhead Ripper. Bottom: Jack the Ripper mom, OG Ripper, Deadhead Ripper
sept_17_1.jpg

I'm really happy with how healthy they are. right side:
sept_17_2.jpg

Left side
sept_17_3.jpg

Jack the Ripper mom that I'm flowering (airpot with coco coir). Believe it or not, she was just thinned recently and I'd guess I removed nearly half of her foliage. This pheno is insanely tight noded and needs a lot of thinning:
sept_17_4.jpg

September 21 update (Day 5 bloom phase):

View from the side:
sept_21_a_1.jpg

Notice how as the growth happens, I try to work with them to fill the space horizontally so that they have more room to grow "up" later. Sort of like an invisible SCROG (that's really hard to keep up with when they grow this fast!):

sept_21_1.jpg

Overall, I'm thrilled with their development so far, and I'm as excited as I've ever been about a grow. I wasn't able to train them much this weekend, which can be a real problem (as you can see from above how fast things change). Hopefully, I can whip them back into shape somewhat tonight, but they're clearly hitting high gear in the stretch/growth process.​

I think I made a mistake trying to sneak in the Pineapple Express with these F1* crosses of mine, as the hybrid vigor is going to win the fight for space I'm afraid... I'm going to have to fight to keep some space for the Pineapple Express it looks like.​
*For those unfamiliar with F1 crosses (first generation cross between 2 unique strains):
When you cross-breed two different (the more genetically different the better) cannabis strains, the resulting seeds have something that is known as "hybrid vigor".
Hybrid vigor only seems to apply for that first generation of seeds. These seeds are known as F1 (first generation cross) seeds. Subsequent generations after the first set of seeds don't show signs of hybrid vigor unless they also are crossed with different strains. Note: Commercial corn growers use this to their advantage all the time, as a way to produce bigger, higher yielding crops (for example).

September 26 update (Day 9 bloom phase):

Really filling in! I'm going to have some serious thinning to do, soon. The news here is that I'm getting pistil development beyond pre-flowers. Along with the flowering comes the stank, and they are starting to smell STANKY. :yummy:

Group from above (top row: Pineapple Express, Deadhead Ripper. bottom row: Jack the Ripper, OG Ripper, Deadhead Ripper).
sep_25_1.jpg

From the side:
sep_25_2.jpg

Oct 1 update (Day 15 bloom phase):

They are doing really well and starting to really transition into bud making. In the next week I expect significant changes and the start of some "frostiness". I'm super excited! :)

The Jack the Ripper (lower left in the group photo) is in an airpot with coco coir. It's getting almost entirely organic nutrients and additives, so it should be interesting to compare/contrast with the plants in the Flo N Gro. So far there seems to be very little difference in it's development or flowering as compared to the other plants, though as a former mother it had a bit of a head start.

The stretch is on full force. I had company over the weekend, and it was difficult to attend to them. After the pics yesterday I did some more training to try to keep things in line, but they are growing inches each day right now. They are all similar height except for the Pineapple Express, which is getting overwhelmed by the other plants. Oh well, I'm hoping to at least get a taste to see if I like it as much as other people seem to - if so, I'll give it another run the next round with plants more likely to be similar in size.

I'm still running the MH bulbs, but will most likely switch to HPS sometime this week.

Group photo from above (one of the bulbs wasn't on yet):
oct_1_1.jpg

Deadhead Ripper
oct_1_4.jpg

OG Ripper
oct_1_2.jpg

Deadhead Ripper
oct_1_3.jpg

Jack the Ripper
oct_1_6.jpg

Pineapple Express
oct_1_5.jpg

Well, that pretty much gets us up to speed. Next, I'll post some pictures and an update from today. :)

October 5 Update - Day 19 Bloom Phase

Getting ready to defoliate soon (planning on Sunday, day 21 bloom). The canopy is quite a jungle right now, but things are really developing quickly. Now starting to see some trichome development, and the smell is fantastic!

I rubbed an "OG Ripper" leaf between my fingers, now that it had a little frosting on it... It has a very similar smell the the Super Lemon Haze. It smells absolutely incredible. Like a bowl of lemons! I'm through the roof excited to try this one. :yahoo:

Please note in the photos, sometimes lighter greens look a little yellower when uploaded. But, they are all nice and green so far. :)

Group photo, from above:

oct_5_07.jpg

From the side:
oct_5_08.jpg

Pineapple Express:
oct_5_06.jpg

OG Ripper (look closely in the bottom left quadrant of this photo, and you'll see a bud starting to develop on one of the fan leaves. This is a common, but interesting characteristic of the plants father strain "Jack the Ripper". I've been curious as to whether we'd see these "bud leaves" on any of the crosses, and now we have an answer!):
oct_5_05.jpg

OG Ripper:
oct_5_04.jpg

Deadhead Ripper:
oct_5_03.jpg

Deadhead Ripper:
oct_5_02.jpg

Jack the Ripper:
oct_5_01.jpg

Hey X I found the new journal but your link did not work for me.
Shizz

:peace:

Hey X I found the new journal but your link did not work for me.
Shizz

:peace:

Hmmm. Dang, I just tested it myself and it works fine for me. Can you give it another shot perhaps? Glad you found it!!

Hi X

Looking great, real nice. i know what u mean about plants looking yellower wen u upload, i have same prob. Couple questions, i have just purchased the iws flood and drain system. Ive grown dwc but not flood and drain. Was wondering how often u flood plants and for how long? Also do u have air stones in each pot? that would allow for longer flood times. Mine is a 220litre res and 24 pot system. how often are ur res changes? Try using bud ignitor during ur first 2 weeks flower alongside ur regular feed. its one supplement i dont go with out, although i must say it works better in coco and soil than hydro as i find hydro gives lots flower sites anyway. good luck with grow and i subbed ;)

I'am here to and I'am glad I got here before its to late!
man everything looks stellar so far.
be right over here in the corner watchin it grow:nomo::popcorn:

Hi X

Looking great, real nice. i know what u mean about plants looking yellower wen u upload, i have same prob. Couple questions, i have just purchased the iws flood and drain system. Ive grown dwc but not flood and drain. Was wondering how often u flood plants and for how long? Also do u have air stones in each pot? that would allow for longer flood times. Mine is a 220litre res and 24 pot system. how often are ur res changes? Try using bud ignitor during ur first 2 weeks flower alongside ur regular feed. its one supplement i dont go with out, although i must say it works better in coco and soil than hydro as i find hydro gives lots flower sites anyway. good luck with grow and i subbed ;)

Hi Cultivator!

First, thanks for subbing to the new journal. :thanks:

I do weekly reservoir changes. I could probably go longer, but I feel most comfortable with weekly.

In veg, I flood just enough to keep the roots damp, yet not so much that they don't want to keep searching. At the beginning of veg, that's once a day for me. As they get a little bigger, twice a day. Once the roots have good development through the sides and bottom of the netpots, 3 times a day in veg.

In flower, I flood every 3-4 hours during lights on, and last flood is an hour before lights off. Not ideal to send them into the dark with soaking wet feet. I never flood in the dark, as it can cause nutrient salts to build up on the roots since the plants aren't uptaking much in the way of nutrients during the dark cycle.

As far as Bud Ignitor, I'm sure it's good, but I'm super impressed with Blue Planet's nutrients and additives. He now has a new "early bloomer" product I'll be using in the future, as well as a bloom booster for later in the bloom phase called "Liquid Blue" (I've used this in a few grows already with much success). I've gotten excellent results with his products, and will be using Blue Planet's products exclusively in this grow. In part, because I believe in them whole-heartedly, and in part because I want to be able to provide honest, uncomprimised feedback on these new products when I use them.
I appreciate the tip though! :high-five:

xlr8 said:
Hi Cultivator!

First, thanks for subbing to the new journal.

I do weekly reservoir changes. I could probably go longer, but I feel most comfortable with weekly.

In veg, I flood just enough to keep the roots damp, yet not so much that they don't want to keep searching. At the beginning of veg, that's once a day for me. As they get a little bigger, twice a day. Once the roots have good development through the sides and bottom of the netpots, 3 times a day in veg.

In flower, I flood every 3-4 hours during lights on, and last flood is an hour before lights off. Not ideal to send them into the dark with soaking wet feet. I never flood in the dark, as it can cause nutrient salts to build up on the roots since the plants aren't uptaking much in the way of nutrients during the dark cycle.

As far as Bud Ignitor, I'm sure it's good, but I'm super impressed with Blue Planet's nutrients and additives. He now has a new "early bloomer" product I'll be using in the future, as well as a bloom booster for later in the bloom phase called "Liquid Blue" (I've used this in a few grows already with much success). I've gotten excellent results with his products, and will be using Blue Planet's products exclusively in this grow. In part, because I believe in them whole-heartedly, and in part because I want to be able to provide honest, uncomprimised feedback on these new products when I use them.
I appreciate the tip though!

Very nice info on watering schedule, xlr8!! That was the only info I was missing too, I forgot to ask you about it
!!! lol
Never thought of watering ONLY one time at the very beginning , this probably have saved me at some way !!!

About liguid blue, I hear only but good words for this, too bad we can't use it here in Europe !! :(
Corey must find a reseller I think !!
So for now only bud ignitor, I seems works good too!!
A little bit overpriced, maybe ?

Good luck on your new grow xlr8, it will be another great one I'm sure of it
!!

Very nice info on watering schedule, xlr8!! That was the only info I was missing too, I forgot to ask you about it
!!! lol
Never thought of watering ONLY one time at the very beginning , this probably have saved me at some way !!!

About liguid blue, I hear only but good words for this, too bad we can't use it here in Europe !! :(
Corey must find a reseller I think !!
So for now only bud ignitor, I seems works good too!!
A little bit overpriced, maybe ?

Good luck on your new grow xlr8, it will be another great one I'm sure of it
!!

Glad you made it over to the new journal, Billy. Just keep in mind that one watering a day might not be enough for everybody. Humidity, heat, netpot size are all factors that play into it. Too much watering stunts root growth, and can create problems, but so can too little. As long as your medium is staying moist, that's what you want when they're young. In the beginning, less can be more as the roots will go searching for more, and develop faster.

One thing to always remember: Cannabis is always happiest right before it wilts from lack of water. In other words, they like it to me as dry as possible but still moist - they love oxygen. Once roots are heavily established with a hydro system, hit them with water/nutrients as often as you'd like. Heck, DWC is a constant buffet - ceaseless watering. :)

Hmmm right !!!
You have actually to know the habits of the strain you growing !!
This is My biggest fear xlr8: the beginning !!!!
I ... my pants of thinking how I'm going to treat em, in the very beginning as I don't have any previous experience !
....still many things to learn :/

But oh well, I'm taking courage when I'm thinking this wonderfull place, with all of you helpfull guys here :)

Thank you man !!!

Edit :
One thing to always remember: Cannabis is always happiest right before it wilts from lack of water. In other words, they like it to me as dry as possible but still moist - they love oxygen. Once roots are heavily established with a hydro system, hit them with water/nutrients as often as you'd like. Heck, DWC is a constant buffet - ceaseless watering.

I will keep that as a RULE, my friend !!!

Hmmm right !!!
You have actually to know the habits of the strain you growing !!
This is My biggest fear xlr8: the beginning !!!!
I ... my pants of thinking how I'm going to treat em, in the very beginning as I don't have any previous experience !
....still many things to learn :/

But oh well, I'm taking courage when I'm thinking this wonderfull place, with all of you helpfull guys here :)

Thank you man !!!

Hey, when you get your Grow journal started, PM me with the link, and I'll sub up so you can ask questions and get answers in the thread! I'm sure a lot of the other growers on here will as well.

Thank you VERY much jandre, this means a lot to me when it comes from such excellent growers like you man, all of you...
I feel honoured ...

Unfortunately, this is not going to happen before spring, I'm still in the "collecting stuff" proccess !!!
I 'd say I'm at 50% right now !!!
Damn crisis .... lol

Thank you jandre !

Back
Top Bottom