First Time Grower- Shiva Skunk & Jack Flash #5 in Coco Under a Budmaster II LED Light

fasttanoy

Evening chaps, this is going to be my first ever grow and I'm really excited to share the journey with you guys.
The plan is to document right from the beginning- building the grow room which I'm currently doing all the way up to curing. The basics are as follows:

What strain is it? Shiva Skunk & Jack Flash #5
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Indica 85% and Sativa 65%
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Currently building my grow room.
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Hydro (Coco coir and perlite 50:50 mix)
What size pot? 20 Litres
Light? Budmaster II - 675XG LED lighting
Is it aircooled? Yes
Temp of Room/cab? Hopefully 24C
RH of Room/cab? Aiming for around 65% during vegetation and 50% for flowering
PH of media or res? 6
How often are you watering? This is something I need advice on!

I am planning to plant two of each strain one as a control and one to try out fluxing using Light Addict's guide. In addition to the Budmaster II I'll also be using a T5 fluorescent for propagating my seedlings. I believe I should be removing the control group from the propagation chamber and under the Budmaster when the second set of tree leaves form.

I'll be planting in a 50:50 coco coir/perlite mix. I'll mainly be using a coco specific A/B formulation for vegetation/flowering. In addition to this, following the feed chart of the manufacturer that recommends vega start, rhizotonic and trichoderma powder for the seedlings, a boost accelerator for the buds and cannazym throughout. I've measure my water to only contain 20 milligrams per litre of calcium so I believe I am going to supply my plant with extra calcium somehow (especially seeing as how calcium deficiency is a documented trait of coco). In addition to this I've seen that because to the LED light I may need a magnesium supplement.

The dimensions of the grow room I'm building are 1.13x1.13x2m to give me 2.6m cubed of air to ventilate. To achieve this I will be using a extraction fan working at a rate of 250m3/hour giving me about 3 complete air exchanges every two minutes- I am worried however this is may create too low a temperature in consideration of the LED light. At the moment I'm heading towards this option because of the importance of odour control. The intake fan will be working at a rate of 175m3.hour. One question I have is will have the ducting of the extraction fan and intake fan affect the quality of air the plants receive as could the intake fan inadvertently use air with a lower CO2 level having already passed through the room?

For odour control I will be using a carbon filter mounted at a high level in the room. To protect the smell from contaminating my house I will be using ona blocks for when I inspect the plants and train the experiment group.

I will try and document as much of the overall process as I can and take as many pictures as possible. One of the motivations behind creating this journal is I wanted to show the process from a complete amateurs point of view, providing as much detail as possible to hopefully inspire and instruct people in my position now.

I'll start the journal by showing how the grow room construction is going.

Re: First time grower. Shiva Skunk & Jack Flash #5 in coco under a Budmaster II LED l

For my grow room I purchased:

8 lots of 2.1m x 2''x1''
8 lots of 1.5m x 2''x1''
16mm mdf 4' square (base)
8mm mdf 4' square (top)

Construction was a little slower than anticipated as the knock-off saw I purchased with its 1914 technology was no match for a modern piece of 2x1 :(
I guess I'm going back to the hardware shop tomorrow (this is fine as I'm still waiting for the reflective sheeting to arrive)

Here are the photos I've taken so far.
IMAG017515.jpg
IMAG017216.jpg
IMAG017119.jpg
IMAG017020.jpg

Re: First time grower. Shiva Skunk & Jack Flash #5 in coco under a Budmaster II LED l

Evening friends

Today I bought a new handsaw to replace the pathetically budget one and was able to chop some wood so constructed the frames for the sides of my grow room.

Rather excitingly I also began germinating my seeds by placing them between two wet tissues that were sandwiched between two plates. I then drained the excess liquid and placed the plates in a cupboard. I'm currently trying to resist the urge of peeking at them!

The reflective sheeting should be arriving tomorrow so hopefully I'll have completed the outside of my grow room till then. I spoke to a lovely lady at Budmaster who said my light should be in stock soon so I'm eagerly awaiting the chance to check it out! My other main mission is to get the propagation area set up- I think I'll be fine just resting the light on the chamber.

IMAG017910.jpg
IMAG018015.jpg
IMAG018213.jpg

Hello Fasttanoy, just stopped by to say hello and hope things go well for you. The site has a lot of good info and individuals to get advice from. I can say I was and still am my worst enemy as far as growing. I found it hard not to try and help the plant along even though I am not a plant!! All the reading and checking out what the others doing will not re-place the mistakes you will make. Best thing I can say is if you have any dought don't do it. What you do that will help the plant takes 7 to 10 days to see results and what you do wrong only take 1 or 2 days. Then you try to correct it and now have multiple issues. Let the plant do her thing and don't force it. If you use bottled nuit`s or additives use less then they suggest and add a few more days between then they say. The plant knows more then we do as far as how to grow but we feel the need to help and have the thumbs. Then wonder what's wrong with them when they start to fail!! I have grown mostly outdoors and in soil, I have been "learning" with indoor soil for the last 2 years. I do know WHAT NOT TO DO and how to really fuck them up. I just find peace in working with them and getting stoned is secondary. I do get a better rush and feeling of relief then doing 3 or 4 big blasts and turning into a pumpkin!! Anyhow.....pleasure to meet you and hope your time is well rewarded and enjoyed...Peace....

woof1.jpg

:420: :welcome: :peace:

Hey goodyfoot thanks for the advice :) You've hit the nail on the head I'm a classic over thinker. I'm really enjoying learning as much as I can though and I'm intrigued by the science of the grow and trying to spot cause and effect patterns.

Hello and reading through your first page as far as the fan and venting. Your main concern is heat over CO2 as far as starting out. Also odor regardless of the amount of plants should not be a worry for the first month or so. And when she starts to show sex is when you will notice their perfume. For now try to maintain a consistent temperature, with out to many ups and downs. My spare room runs about 76 to 78* and my cabinet runs about 82 to 84* day time and falls 5 degree`s at night. Some say it is high but I also put my plant outdoors to supplement with sunlight and outside right now the average air temp is 80 to 84*. So I am right on track as being consistent. I read that indoor 64 to 68* at night and 74 to 78* during the day is ideal. That was with indoor hydro as the solution you feed them you don`t want to be over 76* for an average. That is a separate beast and more complex then soil or solid medium. If you can get 76 to 78* cool. What is correct or ideal I don't know but what is important is CONSISTANTCEY!! ...Peace.....

:420: :peace:

So I guess today is officially day 0!

All six of my seeds have sprouted their tap root, using my educated guess I determined four were ready for potting. I used a 75/25 coco/prelite mix with tiny amounts (3ml per litres of water) of the nutrients I have for seedlings (rhizotonic and vega start), adjusted the pH to 6 and placed my seedlings in at about 1/2'' under the soil.

These were then placed in a propagation chamber under a fluorescent light.

IMAG018318.jpg
IMAG018417.jpg
tap_roots.png
IMAG018824.jpg
IMAG019019.jpg

All seems to be going well so far! The 10cm pots during watering displayed run off water much quicker than I was expecting (after about 150ml of nutrient solution was added) so I stopped watering then for fear of water-logging my precious seedlings. One of the tap roots wrapped around the seedling (the one on the right in the picture) I didn't want to touch the root so I potted it like that, so I have no idea whether that one will make it or not.

Hello and looks like you are on your way. One question is how deep did you place the seeds?? One inch is a little more then then most. I have use this depth as it does take a few days longer but you get a sturdier seedling. But if you are going to keep them indoors they are less likely to fold over on you. Also with watering they are best kept on the dry side, best to water a small amount twice a day then to saturate as they will rot. Good luck with them...Peace.....

:420: :thumb:

Day 2 Update

So all six seeds sprouted this morning! A couple look really healthy, I've got a very weird problem with one and the others sort of concern me a little, but I don't really know if I'm just worrying about nothing!

The weird one if that one had its seeds casing still attached to a leaf, hopefully you can see it in this picture:

IMAG020017.jpg

I haven't touched it at all and am wondering if I should remove the seed case.

With three of the others the leafs are curling downwards like this:

IMAG020122.jpg

Edit: The research I've just done suggests that the cause is over watering. Hopefully if they go without water for a few days without water the issues will correct itself.

Other than that it's been a great day. The equipment arrived and the first thing that surprised me was the light it an absolute monster! I thought they had accidentally sent me the 4x4 version but it was correct, just huge:

IMAG019619.jpg

The grow room is shaping up as well, I just have to think about how to install a door but still have the inner chamber lightproof, after I've done that I'll install the light, carbon filter and ventilation.

IMAG019316.jpg
IMAG019413.jpg
IMAG019720.jpg
IMAG019120.jpg

Have a great evenings chaps and thanks in advance to any suggestions offered :)

The little seed husk will fall off by itself and if you notice how lanky the plants are. I start mine at one inch down in soil and lightly cover with soil. The tap root will bore deeper but this gives it energy to start spreading out. Also it will be lower to the soil and thicken up the stem a lot more. They wont be so fragile and if you put a fan on them they wont topple over and pinch the stems. If you ever do another grow, with the same strain of seeds. Do one at 1/2 inch and another at 1 inch. Then watch what happens between them over the next 4 weeks. You would not think this little change would effect each one the way it does. ...Peace.....

0061339.JPG

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE GOING ON

:420: :thumb:

Day 3 Update

I think I identified the source of yesterday's problems, the stems of my plants seem to be bending towards the florescent light:

IMAG020325.jpg

With that in mind I thought they would be best moved under the budmaster. So I installed the carbon filter, fan and light:

IMAG020620.jpg
IMAG020519.jpg
IMAG020423.jpg

The light is incredibly intense, going to have to buy some sunglasses!

Hopefully my stems will straighten up over the next couple of days.

Day 5 Update

Evening friends, 5/6 plants look good but I thought that maybe their stems were a little too tall and thin so I'm going to take them out of the chamber tomorrow and place a fan near them to hopefully strengthen the stem (by this I mean an electronic fan, not just someone who likes weed stood there encouraging them to grow).

I included an adult index finger for scale:

IMAG020818.jpg
IMAG021214.jpg

One of my plants however is growing at a very odd angle:

IMAG021015.jpg

I'm going to hope the fan strengthens her a bit and then place some more coco mix into the pot to try and get her stood upright.

Wish me luck!

Subbed....:nomo:You washed your coir? Ph to 5.8 when using nutes. Only use water at moment. If mine I'd put a few of those plants deeper into their pots. Have your light around 32" away. Don't over water, let the roots grow.lift pots and once light then water. 4-5-6 days between waterings. When using nutes, start using only half strength recommended. Have you thought about doing a hempy grow for your first indoors? A hell of a lot less stress on yourself. Peace man.

Subbed....:nomo:You washed your coir? Ph to 5.8 when using nutes. Only use water at moment. If mine I'd put a few of those plants deeper into their pots. Have your light around 32" away. Don't over water, let the roots grow.lift pots and once light then water. 4-5-6 days between waterings. When using nutes, start using only half strength recommended. Have you thought about doing a hempy grow for your first indoors? A hell of a lot less stress on yourself. Peace man.

I have been watering with pH of 5.6. Unfortunately I have already added nutrients, my coco coir feed chart recommended specific starting supplements but now that my plants have stalled I won't be doing anything with them until I get growth back.
It's hard to know what to do with the light as it's a new model of LED and hence there is less 'tried and tested' advice out there. Following Budmaster's recommendation I did have the light at 70" but I will decrease that now and hopefully I'll get growth back!

Cheers dude

Day 11 Update

Unfortunately it's more bad news :(
I've tried various things to kick start my plants again but none of them seem to be working. It's six days now after growth stopped and still nothing, I'm feeling really despondent about this at the moment.
In an effort to find out what was wrong I gave all six of my plants something different (nutrients, tap water, distilled water, flush, no water) and yet none of them have changed.
I think the T5 light is as close to the plants as possible.
The only thing I can think of now may be the humidity is too low. I will buy a humidifier tomorrow I think:

IMAG022419.jpg
IMAG022610.jpg

Wish me luck! :

Back
Top Bottom