1st Grow 1st Journal - White Widow & Company

re: 1st Grow 1st Journal - White Widow & Company

Thanks man, It was a Herbies Freebie actually.

The breeder is Delicious seeds, and Herbies still has them: ! Delicious Cotton Candy Feminised Seeds - Herbies Seeds

I'm really excited to see how she smokes too.

LST on her has been pretty easy. I topped after I think it was 7 nodes (so 14 total branches), and am reserving the lowest 2 to take cuttings later in flower for clones. A little defol was needed on her just to clear inner facing fan leaves, and undergrowth, but overall it really hasn't been a difficult strain to work with. I'm giving nutes according to schedule from Humboldt County's Own, and have VERY VERY minimal nute burn on tips, like just the very very tip shows browning if you look really close. I did lose the lowest 2 fan leaves to low nitrogen, but after those I've had no problems at all. It has been the easiest strain to deal with for me so far, and will be cloned for several generations.

Yup, found em! Looks to be a killer strain. Just ordered a few myself. along with many others. Being a noob, im trying to pick strains that aren't so difficult and susceptible to stress.

So ive been looking for a small tent for my seedlings and clones, and after 2 months of searching, I've finally found one. 2x2x3. Fits my 2 2ft tek t5 lights absolutely perfect. As soon as the new seeds get here from herbies, Im probably gonna get them going. Im only going to have 4 ladies this time around though. 5-6 was just too much for a 4x4x7 tent. A little too crowded. Besides, I think I might even try scrog next go around. Well, hope you all have a great Monday. UGH, back to work.

20150511_090252.jpg

20150511_090318.jpg

A great thing to use to get rid of fungus gnats is hydrogen peroxide, plus it's good for the root system brings extra oxygen to the root system.

Really? hydrogen peroxide huh? and how would I go about using that method?

Your girls are looking mighty fine brother!! I gotta admit, I am super jelly of your WW!! She is packing on a lot of weight and trichs. May I ask the breeder?

Thanks man. She is def my fav of the bunch. The breeder is Dinafem....bought from Herbies. Seeing as this is my first grow, its also my first purchase and so far, Herbies did not disappoint. What about your WW, breeder?

UltraDan,

Also, the breeders description states that's it is advisable to leave them in complete darkness for the last 5 days to increase resin production and concentration of essential oils and flavours for a tastier smoke...noticed many WW growers leave it in complete darkness the last few days. Have you heard of this and what are your plans?

I got mine from a site that can't be mentioned here. (I mentioned them before and got a nasty PM) They say they breed their own strains, but I highly doubt it and they don't give much info on genetics. I am pretty happy with it so far though, hopefully she smokes well too.

I have heard good things from Dinafem and Herbies. I will def be purchasing seeds from a more reputable dealer in the future. Still have 8 WW seeds and just got a ton of some special White Chocolate seeds that I can't wait to put in the dirt!

I'm not familiar with that. Here's what I do
Top dress in mosquito bits and water
Add gnat stix and replace if full.

Also greensand lightly or any sand over top of soil. That works as well. Your soil may have larvae a combo of sand and mosquito bits will kill them and make the males sterile

Took down my first girl over the weekend. Went 65 days. Might be good, might not. It was my first time growing anything so the fact that it lived and produced something, is a win in my book. :) Found out that it is a cross (by accident) GSC x Tangerine. Here is a pic, a few more in my gallery. I'll let you know next week how it smokes. Cheers guys.
chop_182809.jpg

Hydrogen peroxide will kill off bugs like fungus gnats or can get them under control, but at the same time can kill necessary beneficiaries and other amendments in the soil that cannabis like so there's good and bad things about HP as far as I understand.

Regarding the 5 days left in dark, I thought resin production was more due to keeping the room extremely dry and not necessarily the darkness, or maybe the two as a combo. Read that in a few different areas a while back and it was something that came to mind when I read it, don't quote me on that.

The one you chopped looks good. Wonder what you'll pull as far as weight from her.

I got mine from a site that can't be mentioned here. (I mentioned them before and got a nasty PM) They say they breed their own strains, but I highly doubt it and they don't give much info on genetics. I am pretty happy with it so far though, hopefully she smokes well too.

I have heard good things from Dinafem and Herbies. I will def be purchasing seeds from a more reputable dealer in the future. Still have 8 WW seeds and just got a ton of some special White Chocolate seeds that I can't wait to put in the dirt!

lol no worries. Completely understandable. Looks amazing and hopefully it will taste and smoke as good as she looks. Guess that's what matters in the end anyways right :)
Mmmmm White Chocolate sounds amazing!!

I'm not familiar with that. Here's what I do
Top dress in mosquito bits and water
Add gnat stix and replace if full.

Also greensand lightly or any sand over top of soil. That works as well. Your soil may have larvae a combo of sand and mosquito bits will kill them and make the males sterile

Good info, I appreciate all the help. So, my question is, do you only do this when you see them, or from the beginning to prevent pests?

Took down my first girl over the weekend. Went 65 days. Might be good, might not. It was my first time growing anything so the fact that it lived and produced something, is a win in my book. :) Found out that it is a cross (by accident) GSC x Tangerine. Here is a pic, a few more in my gallery. I'll let you know next week how it smokes. Cheers guys.

Thanks bro. So far so good...not too much longer man. Cant wait. lol

Hell, your lady looks amazing man. Did you scope out the trichs? if so, how did they look when you decided to harvest? Just curious, im at day 43 and I still have a little ways to go I believe. Not seeing any cloudy trichs yet, all crystal clear. Had to be the BEST feeling chopping her huh? Im excited for you brother!

Hydrogen peroxide will kill off bugs like fungus gnats or can get them under control, but at the same time can kill necessary beneficiaries and other amendments in the soil that cannabis like so there's good and bad things about HP as far as I understand.

Regarding the 5 days left in dark, I thought resin production was more due to keeping the room extremely dry and not necessarily the darkness, or maybe the two as a combo. Read that in a few different areas a while back and it was something that came to mind when I read it, don't quote me on that.

The one you chopped looks good. Wonder what you'll pull as far as weight from her.

Hmm, good to know. I appreciate you giving both pros and cons. Helps to clarify a lot man. Thank you

OK thanks guys, I understand every strain and pheno is different, just wondering what signs to look for in my garden, to start looking at the trichs.

UltraDan, lol already been doing it myself lol you can say I'm very anxious! But I must say, this has to be most patient I've ever been for anything haha

One key is by examining the pistils, or long hairs, that cover the plant's buds. The color of the pistols lets you know the plant is maturing.
They start out as white and then turn orange and brown. When they get around 50% to 75% orange/brown you should be looking at the trichomes to see where you are at. I use a 30 power jewelers Loupe. If the trichomes are turning brown then the THC is starting to decay.
Harvest when you see what you want:
when-to-harvest_1_1_1_.jpg

The first stage, clear, will tend to make for a more cerebral, up high, with very little body effect. Harvesting at this stage when little if any trichomes are milky yet, can be tricky. Harvesting too early can make for a beautiful plant that will not have much psychoactive capability! THC needs to "mature" to be able to pass its psychoactive capabilities down to the smoker. This is why I always recommend waiting until 50% of the trichomes hit the second stage: milky or creamy. At this point, you will definitely have a plant which has reached its genetic potential.

The milky trichomes have some "cerebral" qualities, as well as some of the more "physical" characteristics of the high. The last stage, amber, brings on a more sedative, physical stone. If this is what you're looking for, than I would recommend a sativa/indica cross, or an indica dominant plant. Amber trichomes seem to ruin a sativa high if the plant goes too long.

Many times you'll read from new growers, "My hairs are 50% changed to brown or red, looks like its ready to come down." Calyx hairs turning color is one thing, calyx hairs withering, is another. When they have withered, they are for the most part, as ripe as they will get. But just turning red/brown does not necessarily mean the plant is ready. Calyx hairs are just an indicator that the plant is ripening, not necessarily ripe yet. I have taken full Indica strains with 60% hairs turned, and sativas when 90% hairs have turned, and they were all at peak ripeness. The trichome color is the only true indicator!

Hydrogen peroxide has been used in gardening for a very long time. It's very effective at killing pest while also giving a oxygen boost to the roots. To use mix 2 tsp for every gallon of water, just pour as if you were watering your plant normally.

It took me forever to see the difference in trichomes. I actually was starting to call BS on it no matter what I did with my 50x hand microscope they all looked clear (so I thought). My microscope has a purple LED and 2 bright white LEDs you can switch back and forth between. What I didn't realize is that with either lights on I can't tell worth a damn what color they were as they only appeared clear. When I shut the light off it was plain as day that many were milky and some were ambered. Lights were just causing glares on the trichomes and I was mistaking the glares for being clear :laughtwo:

Hydrogen peroxide has been used in gardening for a very long time. It's very effective at killing pest while also giving a oxygen boost to the roots. To use mix 2 tsp for every gallon of water, just pour as if you were watering your plant normally.

Thanks,that's what I was waiting for,some measurements lol my AzaMax hasn't worked yet so I may be jumping Ship to a new method

Back
Top Bottom