1st Grow - Outdoors - Mild Climate

Harvested and after 3 days dry I'm manicuring and jarring. Feel to jar now as the buds are fairly fluffy and seem dry enough.

image10461.jpeg

Unfortunately I've been finding a few of these little things, mealy bugs I believe? Having to go through every bud very carefully, even after washing buds they unfortunately survived..

image10462.jpeg

Found some bud rot in my NL, through large areas in several colas, lost quite a bit of bud. I'd say she's a good 9 weeks into flower but still has clear trickes and lots of white hairs. So obviously don't want to pull her but the bud rot is worrying, weather is getting cooler, started bringing her indoors now.

image10537.jpeg

Any ideas what I should do with the NL's girl? I keep finding more mold in another 2 colas, spread quite a bit, have cut out where I can see but fear there is more. In the photo I posted how much longer do you think I should give her, I guess there's no easy answer and like the spider mite plant it's a balancing act of leaving her to mature more but not too long that more mild takes hold..

Well after going through all the main colas on the NL's my concerns have been confirmed. The but rot is through all of them. I'll have to cut her down tonight and salvage what little I can. 4.5 months of careful growing and this is the end result. It's a hard lesson but a valuable one.

Thanks for the tip about the hydro perox, I do have some and was wondering about it. Would it be apply undiluted with the cotton swab?

Since I'll have to chop her tonight any tips for the drying process, I'll be having to massacre the colas so it will be a lot of loose buds, which I'll just have to dry on some paper I guess, hopefully with no spores present to infect them.

Well after going through all the main colas on the NL's my concerns have been confirmed. The but rot is through all of them. I'll have to cut her down tonight and salvage what little I can. 4.5 months of careful growing and this is the end result. It's a hard lesson but a valuable one.
:thumb:We all learn by our mistakes. And sometimes other peoples :winkyface:

Thanks for the tip about the hydro perox, I do have some and was wondering about it. Would it be apply undiluted with the cotton swab?
Since I'll have to chop her tonight any tips for the drying process, I'll be having to massacre the colas so it will be a lot of loose buds, which I'll just have to dry on some paper I guess, hopefully with no spores present to infect them.

Full strength I guess JTG told me about it, never used it myself. :cheesygrinsmiley:
I dry on a hanging drying net
IMG_084013.JPG

Drying should be done in a cool, dark, well ventilated space

So I've actually managed to keep the NL's alive and got rid of what mold I could. Have to monitor very closely, but I really didn't want to cut while still lots of clear trichomes, as I'm much more into the Indica couch lock stone.

It's a week since harvesting the Sweet Cheese and so far so good with the curing process, no mold but still sticky a feel a little moist inside, hopefully just right for a good cure.

Here's a pic, what do you think of the look of the buds, decent amount of trichomes?

image491.png

Wrapping it up..

So it's been a week since harvesting the NL#5, buds dried well after washing, now curing nicely. The process seemed to go well with only a couple of days of drying needed before the outer of the buds became crispy and ready for jarring. I know some info says to dry 4-5 days, but one of the main things I've learnt along the way is that every plant is different, everyones conditions are different, and with these buds being fairly loose and small long term drying didn't seem necessary. If anything they may have slightly over-dried before jarring.

I've just weighed the buds from both plants. The smaller plant Sweet Cheese ended up producing exactly 28grams, an exact ounce. The buds are lovely and resinous with the high a very good indica dominant with some very creative thinking sativa in the mix. Just a really happy, cheerful high. Very strong though so need to be careful as kind of smoked too much one day and ended up not feeling myself, that uneasy vague self awareness feeling.

The Northern Lights ended up producing 45grams. It was always the bigger plant so 50% extra seems about right, although I did lose a little to mould overall it was very little, maybe just a couple of grams. Haven't had a chance to try the NL yet, but the buds look really good and smell potent, hoping for some mainly couch lock effects.

Overall both plants produce not very dense buds. Maybe I didn't give them enough nutes, or the right ones or does growing outdoors have something to do with that also? Having tried many buds over the years I would consider them on the slightly fluffy side, of which I'd like to work out why?

In the end I'm happy enough overall, it should be enough for my needs and a little bit of sharing, until next harvest, but also it was a fairly time consuming undertaking and 2.5 doesn't seem a big return. Having said that the process was also a steep learning curve which I can take the knowledge learned into future grows, plus it's pretty cool having some cannabis plants to compliment the garden :)

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom