Watching Grass Grow

A long weekend left alone on the window cill. The weather has been dull on a biblical scale, dark, overcast with cool temps and high humidity.
I returned to find a much taller plant and was happy initially but noticing the lower leaf looking very droopy and off colour I watered without thinking. I only gave about 150ml and a quick spray of the leaves but wished I'd waited for advice first.
As the bottom 2 leaves withered it didn't seem an issue, because it continued to grow seemingly ok but now with the next leaf (the one remaining alone due to my earlier clumsiness) withering the same I'm curious as to, is this how plants grow, the bottom leaves shedding and growth continuing or is the plant having issues?
My haste in watering was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction and I am hoping that its forlorn looks are because of lack of good sunshine and not something more sinister.
DSC_47661.jpg

DSC_4767.jpg

Losing those bottom two cotyledon leaves (the two that came out of the seed) is not a problem.

Bottom leaves shedding is common, but I would not expect it for a couple more nodes. The moist and limp character of the lowest leaf is more troubling than a dry and limp leaf. If the next set of leaves is affected it might be 'too much' of something: too much water, too high a water PH, too much fertilizer.

It is not time to worry. It is time to continue to observe her behaviour.

Radogast, again, thank you for the helpful and encouraging words, I'm trying not to worry but you cant help it can you?
Just got in from work, a beautiful day, 28 degrees 60% humidity with bright blue skies.
First glance sees a far happier plant but there's always a but, took a few pics to show what I saw as improvement from yesterday and when uploading the pictures I notice a little flying bug on the dying leaf. I then go back to the plant and find lots of the little buggers flying around it. They don't seem to be interested in the other leaves, only the dying one. Little vulture bugs?

After a long sunny day its looking happier although the thin-ness of the lower part of the stem is another thing that is causing concern. If I blow very gently at the plant it doesn't appear to be that stable. The thickness at the bottom is no more than 2mm yet above it it is not less than 3mm, more closer to 4mm.

fcdf.jpg

The dying leaf with the pesky vulture bug!

DSC_4776.jpg

Trying to show the condition of the lower leaves.

DSC_4775.jpg

The top leaves.

DSC_4774.jpg

No water today, time to sit and watch the grass grow and see what tomorrow brings.
Radogast it really is a pleasure to have you along, I look forward to your comments and appreciate not only your advice but also the time you take to do this.

Hey Jim, thanks for stopping by, yes Heirloom and Radogast have been a great help, I wouldn't have lasted more than a day or two without their input.
28 degrees 65% humidity, a bright sunny day with clear blue skies again, two days running, a sign of the end of spring maybe?
No water today, looking happy to my untrained eye and no bugs flying around, which is a plus.

This morning around 11am. Taken with my phone as I'm still having issues with my camera. I spent a load of money on a nice camera for myself a year ago and still cant use it properly!

20160502_111741.jpg

From above.

20160502_111601.jpg

The withered bottom leaf has been removed after I took this picture.

20160502_111538.jpg

The past few days have been dull and cloudy with temperatures not rising above 23 degrees. The humidity has been around 90% and dropping occasionally to only 78%. The plant doesn't appear to be needing any water maybe due to the amount of moisture in the air. It has started to grow 5-fingered leaves, as predicted by Radogast, and I am happy to see this, it makes it kind of proper!
Currently 210mm tall and looking reasonably happy I think. The thickness of the stem at the bottom seems to be getting better, more proportional to the rest of the stem but still a lot thinner. If and when the weather brightens I will put a small fan nearby to create some movement and hopefully that will stimulate some growth/strength in the bottom of the stem.
Sat waiting for a phonecall so that I can try out my new vapouriser. I had one go at it last night but as I was down to my last joint (and I do like a spliff) it was only the one try.
As I am writing this I have just received a message, meet in 2 hours. Looks like my day has brightened, hope yours has too, bring on the sunshine!

Such a nice, roaring 20s flapper girl shape !
Not really the optimum shape for producing lots of flowers, but aesthetically nice.

I'm gonna have to look up "flapper girl" but I do see femininity there. I love the way it looks but here comes the but . .

If you were considering topping to force more branches - and using the top part to grow a new plant - this is a pretty good time.

.... yes I do want more branches but so hesitant about lopping off the top. Before I cut it off (I know I have to) I would like to check and double check that I'm cutting in the right place. (420, youtube, wikipedia have all helped) A slightly angled(?) clean cut through the main stem below the uppermost(?) growth. "The smaller the cut. the quicker to heal" I keep reading!
Also, I would love to be able to start a new one from the cutting but I have read that this isn't guaranteed so I shouldn't build my hopes up.

.... yes I do want more branches but so hesitant about lopping off the top. Before I cut it off (I know I have to) I would like to check and double check that I'm cutting in the right place. (420, youtube, wikipedia have all helped) A slightly angled(?) clean cut through the main stem below the uppermost(?) growth. "The smaller the cut. the quicker to heal" I keep reading!
Also, I would love to be able to start a new one from the cutting but I have read that this isn't guaranteed so I shouldn't build my hopes up.

For the cut that removes excess growth from the plant - make it a smaller cut - a snip that chops stright across the stalk.

There are two main choices about where to cut - cutting a small amount at the very top or cutting off a large amount. Because your girl is so tall and straight, it makes more sense to make a large bold cut. Personally I would cut about 1 cm above the second set of true leaves (the second set of leaves above the soil.)

For the cloning cut, at the last minute you trim the stalk at a diagonal - and with cloning buckets you sometimes also scrape the stalk near the bottom or split the stem near the bottom. The more exposed 'insides' to the stem (the xylem layer?) the more sites for roots to grow. Personally I prefer a simple diagonal cut for clone over 8cm (3") tall and adding a 1cm(0.5") split at the bottom of the stalk for clones under 8cm(3") tall

Yesterday, I wrote a quick post about methods of cloning
Weenmeoff's - Inside - Soil - Alien Abduction - Grow Journal - Page 3

Guessing at your personal aesthetic and the size of the clone, I suggest:
- a diagonal cut (saving as much of the stem as possible,)
- dipping the stem in a rooting compound: Aloe Vera gel (from an Aloe leaf), Willow water (soaked willow sticks), or a commercial cloning powder or gel.
- Pushing deep into soil, leaving about 2cm(1") of stalk between the soil and the first pair of leaves on the clone.

My personal choice would be my CloneBucket - I like how it works :)

Feel free to ask questions or disagree. I'm not an expert. I have done a total of about 40 clones in rockwool, 40 clones in the clonebucket and 3 direct into soil.
Of the 3 direct into soil, 2 worked - the other I removed early because the mother turned out to be a boy.

Once again, solid advice, cheers!
I will do the deed after work tomorrow, (still apprehensive) the lowermost leaf is withering as did the previous 2 and I'd like a good day of sunshine or supplementary lighting to give it a boost before I start lopping.

Once again, solid advice, cheers!
I will do the deed after work tomorrow, (still apprehensive) the lowermost leaf is withering as did the previous 2 and I'd like a good day of sunshine or supplementary lighting to give it a boost before I start lopping.

The lowermost leaf is withering becauseit gets less sun, being shaded by the upper leaves - And you don't really have lots and lots of light.

Once you top your girl, all that flow of water and leaf building nutrients being collected by the roots will have nowhere to go. New leaves and branches will form where the leaf stem (petiole) meets the trunk.

When you plant the cloned top in soil, all the sugars formed by photosynthesis that usually go to the roots to feed the soil food web will have nowhere to grow. The clone will start growing roots from the buried stem. Once the clone builds a good set of roots it will return to growing new leaves. Don't feed the clone any bottled nutrients (water only) until you see it growing new leaves.

Radogast, you are a good man.
I feel a lot better after reading your last comment. I now understand a lot clearer as to where I am and where the plant is. Thank you.
I'd read about different things here about meiosis/mitosis, cell division, and now xylem and phloem and I had remembered studying these in school (maybe 45years ago) but had never dealt with them in a practical sense.(never dealt with them at all except for scrabble!) I'm not saying I remember everything about them but I think I understand enough to follow your advice and the information behind it. I really do appreciate you taking the time.
Time to do the deed. . . .

2 hours later. . . . .

DSC_4822.jpg

Potting soil, rooting powder(a strange smelling yellow powder) and a new matching pot.

DSC_4814.jpg

Not entirely sure what any of this means but I can see the soil PH range is ok and it says rooting on the small packet so fingers crossed.

DSC_4816.jpg

DSC_4819.jpg

One before and 2 afters.

DSC_4821.jpg

DSC_4825.jpg

DSC_4828.jpg

Everything is crossed now and the waiting and watching continues. . . . . . .

Day 1 since the snip;

DSC_4837.jpg

I feel the way it looks but it had to be done. Its been under the 125w bulb since daybreak and things are still very much crossed.
The original stem seems none too bothered, a little droopy but not looking too unhappy about it all.

Day 1 since the snip;

DSC_4837.jpg

I feel the way it looks but it had to be done. Its been under the 125w bulb since daybreak and things are still very much crossed.
The original stem seems none too bothered, a little droopy but not looking too unhappy about it all.

This cutting is NOT happy.

Hey nagganaggaren I'll jump in for the ride :)

Your plant looks like its over watered in the last picture indicated by the droopy leaves

Keep up the good work :thumb:

GreenFingers

In MOST cases I would agree with GreenFingers here and say it is overwatered, but since this cutting has no roots. If it is not better by the next morning, I'd say it needs a humidity dome.

For a humidity dome, I suggest you find a glass or plastic dome to cover the cutting without touching the leaves. Try setting it up on a couple of sticks between the soil and the dome for air flow. You don't have to be fancy, it only needs to last 10-15 days. A bottom cut off a 2-liter soda bottle or plastic storage food storage container should be fine. Rinse or spray the inside of the dome with water to add a little moisture for the day.

Since you have a window, you don't want the 125W light - clone babies like lower light.

I haven't had to use a humidity dome with cutting in soil, but different strains are a bit different to grow. One of my favorite strains, borderliner, hates to be cloned. I have had other clones, from AK47 and Tangerine Dram , that drooped for a day after they were cut.

I meant the original plant looked happy-ish not the clone, I was concerned about the clone and have now placed it under a makeshift humidity dome as suggested, (thanks for that, I was sure it wasn't too much water as I hadn't given it any, apart from the rooting solution mix)
Day 2
DSC_4839.jpg
DSC_4842.jpg

The weather here has reverted back to tropical wet, rivers overflowing, thunderstorms, high 20's temperatures with the humidity up, down and all over the scale, I'm sure it must be confusing for the plants. I still have hope and all things remain crossed, the original plant is not showing any obvious signs of grief and the clone remains in the hands of the grow gods.
Welcome Greenfingers, all eyes and thoughts are appreciated, if the clone manages a resurrection things might get a lot more interesting.
I'm currently watching the grass grow, listening to music, relaxing on a Sunday afternoon . . . . . . "Frank Zappa, Watermelon in Easter Hay". . it does it for me and keeps me positive.
Good luck to all with their respective situations and keep smiling!:tokin:

Back
Top Bottom