1st Grow - Outdoors - Mild Climate

GoldenGlow

Greetings blessed ones!

I'm a few weeks into my first grow and what a baptism of fire it's been.

First up I've been doing as much reading as possible, made a few mistakes and hopefully getting a few things right.

Also asking questions and receiving some help from a gardening friend, who I thought knew a lot but turns out they don't lol. They gave been starter pots made of clay and before I knew better the seedlings were off and running, which means I'll have some clay pots to carefully destroy soon, for a repot.

I'm growing 2 plants from online seeds. 1 is British Columbia Northern Lights #5 non auto, feminized, the other is 710 cheese, also feminized non auto.

Seeds sprouted within 3 days, cheese first, NL 1 day after. The cheese has been growing slightly faster during the first few weeks. All seemed great until little spots started to appear on the leaves, with little black looking dots found under the leaves.

From pics and info online these seem to be spider mites, got a recipe from online, chilli, garlic, soap, oil, water mixed and sprayed plants well. Dots still around and some spread of white dots seemed to continue. Gave another spray 3 days later. This time seem to slow the spread but leaves got damaged by mixture, think I should have washed the leaves with water after giving time for mix to have affect on mites.

The mite problem was specific to the 710 cheese, though there was 1-2 dots on the NL, but nothing like the cheese, which was getting lots of white dots on top of leaves

Things have seemed a little settled in the last week, but now I'm seeing little white flies.. the war against pests continues.

Overall it's been both fun and frustrating. I'm really hoping these plants will succeed so I'm a little stressed to find them being attacked so much.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate and maybe sharing my experience could help any other new growers too.

Cheers.

IMG_286710.jpg
IMG_28689.jpg
IMG_286913.jpg
IMG_287010.jpg
IMG_28719.jpg
IMG_28725.jpg
IMG_28737.jpg
IMG_2874.PNG
IMG_28758.jpg

Try putting some predators in your garden. Like a spider, lady bugs, praying mantis. Basically anything that'll eat other bugs. I actually have a few spiders that hAng out in my grow room, I've never had any problems with pests as of yet.(knocks on wood).

Yeah I've come across the suggestion of predators, it makes good sense. I think I need to work on my overall garden try and get it really healthy and hopefully that will attract the necessary predators and increase the overall balance.

For now I'm going to get some other organic sprays one for white flies a kind of multi purpose one and also some neem oil.

What I'm wondering is how heavily should I spray and how often, and would after spray with water help from causing too much grief to the plants?

Yeah I've come across the suggestion of predators, it makes good sense. I think I need to work on my overall garden try and get it really healthy and hopefully that will attract the necessary predators and increase the overall balance.

For now I'm going to get some other organic sprays one for white flies a kind of multi purpose one and also some neem oil.

What I'm wondering is how heavily should I spray and how often, and would after spray with water help from causing too much grief to the plants?

Honestly I have no experience in this area at all. You can order lady bugs to your front door I believe if you wanted to go that route. As far as the neem oil and what not i really dunno, but i know there's alot of knowledgeable people here on these forums.

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Both plants are still alive, and doing ok, though both seem rather small, not using big pots also started late in the season. The big one which became the little one has been in flower for 2 weeks now is going strong. The bigger one just started to flower this week.

It's been a heck of a battle though and have been putting in an hour or so a day checking on them, spraying for white flies and spider mites, killing caterpillars and grasshoppers and more.

The one on the left is the Northern Lights #5, on the right is Sweet Cheese a cross between UK Cheese and Candy.

The Sweet Cheese has always been ahead of NL, sprouted quicker, grew leaves quicker, began flowering quicker. The NL is more of a slow and steady type, but very impressive with it's structure.

I topped the NL, but not the SC cos it took off too quickly. Also LST with both but started a bit later than would have likes due to pot issues. While I'm not satisfied with the LST I've done I think overly its not too bad and hopefully will provide better yields as more colas are exposed to light.

SC seems to be taking off with the flowering, with NL just starting but seeming to be taking to it nicely. Maybe end of March for SC harvest? Time will tell.

My first grow has been an enjoyable experience, but lots of vigilance required, hopefully can get my overall garden into better health for next time and have less pests.

Its all good bub, its all a learning curve man. Just stay vigilant, and never get complacent. Stay alert, stay alive. Always remember KISS(keep it simple stupid).

So a few weeks has passed and the smaller one which is budding really well has the spider mites going ballistic, I've tried so many things, sleepless nights, but still it's a losing battle. Almost all the leaves are covered in the white dots and have black dots (spider mites) spread under all the leaves. The buds don't seem affected and are doing well.

What I would like people's opinions on is whether I should harvest early or wait another week or 2 for better buds but risk the mites infected the buds?

Here's some pics.

The last photo shows really well the crystals on leaves as well as white spider mite dots littering the leaves topside.

Any help? I really worried about the spider mites being into the buds but I can't see them.. All the leaves are covered in their damage and I don't want it to get worse. At the same time the buds seem to need a few more weeks to fatten up as they don't look very dense yet.

Becoming quite concerned with the Northern Lights #5, large leaves yellowing and falling off, not just a couple but several everyday other day. I'm reading that it could be nitrogen deficiency, or root bound. Think the plant still has another 4-6 weeks left in flowering so hoping I can do some repair job to keep it going for length of time. Already 3.5 months into growing really don't want to lose the whole plant.

I would give them one more nute treatment and than commence to begin to flush them real good... They are eating itself and thats not too good..

I would give them one more nute treatment and than commence to begin to flush them real good... They are eating itself and thats not too good..

What nute treatment would you suggest?

By 'flush real good' do you mean big amounts of water only a day or two apart?

I would use Seaweed extract or Fish Emulsions. Both will snap those girls back to life..Remember, this is an outside grow, so things are a bit different..

Back
Top Bottom