1st Indoor Grow - CFL - Masterkush & MobyDick

thegift

:peace:

Hello guys and Merry Christmas to everyone! 420

I started this journey and i choose to share it with you, learn from eachother and bring this to a tasty smokey end! :love:

What strain is it? i have 2 masterkush and 2 mobydick
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? The moby is an indica dominant hybrid , master is also mostly indica
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Growbox 40x40x120(so its pretty small space) can't do nothing about it! im at university and thats the best i could make with my buddies
Light Cfl agro 200w and im also thinking about adding 2 x 40w , if 200are not enough
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? 2 Just sprouted and other 2 one day from rise n shine LOL
For how long in veg? my first thought was to vegetate them 4 weeks at 20/4
Soil or Hydro? Soil /CompoSana
If soil... What size pot? just right to fit the the space
Is it aircooled? not yet, but will need some upgrade soon
Temp of Room/cab? 30*c when lights are on and 22*c lights off

For some reason it doesn't seem to work uploading some pics now! will provide them later or tommorow!

In the end , im on the budget , as mentioned im at university and i'm doing this just to not have to buy and enjoy with my roommates pure natural homegrown ganja!

I want some opinions on ventilation and light! thanks guys

re: 1st Indoor Grow - CFL - Masterkush & MobyDick

Merry Christmas and :welcome: to :420:

for CFLs, standard thought around here seems to be minimum of 100w per plant in veg, and 150w+ in bloom. Not sure if 200w will be sufficient for 4 plants, but given its a single bulb and not spread out I'd guess you should really plan on more.

also to be clear, when talking CFLs, we should be talking about the actual wattage draw of the bulb, not the "equals 100w" it sometimes says on the package. This is only for household use, to give an indication of how much light it puts out compared to a comparable incandescent.... so to replace a 100w incandescent, you'd use a 23w CFL (package will say 23w=100w or something like that)

also regarding CFLs, someone a while back posted a chart or some sort of comparison which showed that multiple smaller wattage is better overall than few high wattage (ie: 8 or 9 23w bulbs will grow better than just 1 200w bulb, even though total wattage is about the same). Part of this is due to overlap of photons (or something like that), and part is that with multiple sources, you can better dial in where the light will hit the plant - with many bulbs spread around, you're less likely to have any dark/shaded area on the plant.

being you already have the 200w (which is pretty huge for a CFL) what I would do is hang the 200w in the middle, then get some smaller (standard 23w or 42w) bulbs around the perimeter.
Last note on CFLs... get them as close to the plant as you can. CFL throws off almost no heat through the glass - most of the heat is generated in the base which acts as the ballast. most of us with CFL typically run 4-6" away during initial sprout/seedling stage, then get a little closer (1-3") once it's got a set or 2 of real leaves.

I know you stated you're on a budget... you can add lights a couple at a time as the plants grow. Then once this grow is complete, most of your equipment costs are done, and you still have the equipment available for future grows.

Also, start thinking about what nutrients you plan on using, whether organic compost teas or premade commercial nutes. If your soil is a decent mix to begin with, you should be good for maybe 2-3 weeks before you need to start some sort of feed program. As a new grower, I'd recommend picking one brand and sticking with the nutrient program offered by that company right through til your harvest, rather than using "company A" veg nutes, and "company B" for bloom, and "company C" for something else. Often they are made to compliment each other and it just makes things easier, and especially being new you'll be learning so much, it's nice to have that part of the equation already figured out for you. Once you do start to feed, go lightly. it's easier to correct a deficiency than it is to correct an over-nute burn - but neither case is the end of the world.

Best of luck. looking forward to seeing your progress.

re: 1st Indoor Grow - CFL - Masterkush & MobyDick

Merry Christmas and :welcome: to :420:

for CFLs, standard thought around here seems to be minimum of 100w per plant in veg, and 150w+ in bloom. Not sure if 200w will be sufficient for 4 plants, but given its a single bulb and not spread out I'd guess you should really plan on more.

also to be clear, when talking CFLs, we should be talking about the actual wattage draw of the bulb, not the "equals 100w" it sometimes says on the package. This is only for household use, to give an indication of how much light it puts out compared to a comparable incandescent.... so to replace a 100w incandescent, you'd use a 23w CFL (package will say 23w=100w or something like that)

also regarding CFLs, someone a while back posted a chart or some sort of comparison which showed that multiple smaller wattage is better overall than few high wattage (ie: 8 or 9 23w bulbs will grow better than just 1 200w bulb, even though total wattage is about the same). Part of this is due to overlap of photons (or something like that), and part is that with multiple sources, you can better dial in where the light will hit the plant - with many bulbs spread around, you're less likely to have any dark/shaded area on the plant.

being you already have the 200w (which is pretty huge for a CFL) what I would do is hang the 200w in the middle, then get some smaller (standard 23w or 42w) bulbs around the perimeter.
Last note on CFLs... get them as close to the plant as you can. CFL throws off almost no heat through the glass - most of the heat is generated in the base which acts as the ballast. most of us with CFL typically run 4-6" away during initial sprout/seedling stage, then get a little closer (1-3") once it's got a set or 2 of real leaves.

I know you stated you're on a budget... you can add lights a couple at a time as the plants grow. Then once this grow is complete, most of your equipment costs are done, and you still have the equipment available for future grows.

Also, start thinking about what nutrients you plan on using, whether organic compost teas or premade commercial nutes. If your soil is a decent mix to begin with, you should be good for maybe 2-3 weeks before you need to start some sort of feed program. As a new grower, I'd recommend picking one brand and sticking with the nutrient program offered by that company right through til your harvest, rather than using "company A" veg nutes, and "company B" for bloom, and "company C" for something else. Often they are made to compliment each other and it just makes things easier, and especially being new you'll be learning so much, it's nice to have that part of the equation already figured out for you. Once you do start to feed, go lightly. it's easier to correct a deficiency than it is to correct an over-nute burn - but neither case is the end of the world.

Best of luck. looking forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks a lot sir! to be honest i didn't even expect someone to write a reply , not even thinking about something so good and detailed! i really have to thank you!

My cfl is a phytolite agro 200w , and prior to germinate the seeds i was thinking about adding 2-4 small spiral cfl's! i found the 40w ones at a decent price!
My only problem was the small space i have a 40x40x120 , so i have to come out with something! maybe modify the reflector a bit so i can attach them to it , drop the big one in the middle and the little ones on the sides!

For the nutrients , i was thinking to get the BioBizz Trypack! wich has biogrow , biobloom and topmax 250ml/each and costs me about 20euros wich is pretty good!

3 of my plants have already seeing the light , the last one should be up by tommorow! the moby was the strongest one, got out so fast!

Thanks again man! will update this soon!

Back on guys! Had an amazing new year party , with my friends , lots of weed , no alcohol or other shit, just blazing all night , eating fruits , bbq , fruit juice LOL and laughing! all this in nature ,in a house very far from the city, with no internet or shit! we had so much fun

the biggest one , wich is a moby , will be 7 days old on friday and the others 4-5! (i even have an extra little moby in a small container, wich i just put there so you can see it, shes not bothering the master kush place at)

anyway the master kush , both of them are looking pretty strange , and awkward shaped!

i would like to hear you guys opinions on this! :peace::peace: and i wish you an amazing new year guys!

20150102_132542.jpg

edit: all plants have the same soil , they all stay there , at same temp , same water so its not something from the medium ! the moby's are doing so good!

Looks good, I'm interested.

I wouldn't worry about those two leaves. Others may disagree. But, the ones coming after appear fine. The rest of the grow isn't doing that, I.e. other plants. Sometimes those first leaves are a little odd.

Keep an eye on them, be patient, but don't panic.

Good luck man, interested to hear what the pros around here say.

Looks good, I'm interested.

I wouldn't worry about those two leaves. Others may disagree. But, the ones coming after appear fine. The rest of the grow isn't doing that, I.e. other plants. Sometimes those first leaves are a little odd.

Keep an eye on them, be patient, but don't panic.

Good luck man, interested to hear what the pros around here say.

Thanks for the reply bro , yes i'm being very patient and i always keep an eye on them!

However ,as mentioned before im on a budget and my appartament mates don't have much money either so i can slowly upgrade my grow with some cfl's , fans !
Let me know what you guys think should be my next move ,i really love those little plants and i wanna bring them to beatiful full of budz ladies!

looking forward to hear from you , peace :peace:

i would get more lights for sure. I use cfl's, and i usually have a minimum of 3 23w per plant, and they seem to do pretty well. ive only had one i had to get rid of(it was an auto) and it was because my soil was too rich in nutes, and my current grow, one has 3 and one has 4 with 1 being a 42w 2400k. but yea id say more lights for sure.

I did some research for light this evening and i have found this

==>
lampada-coltivazione-cfl-150w-rossa-2700-k-fioritura_Img_Principale_1556.jpg

150W , 2700k cfl lamp , for 36 € wich i can make it to save for the next weeks!

ok now i may look dirt poor , but guys being at university , paying a rent, for food, then comes the light bill ,gas bill and you still have to live a life and it is not easy! I mentioned this because i want you guys to really understand why i'm going the "cheap" way!

Here is a new photo update guys!
20150103_122016.jpg
20150103_121944.jpg

Also here is a close look at the MASTER KUSH! both of them look the same, and i don't know for what reason! I hope the more experienced growers will have a word on this! thanks
20150103_122001.jpg

Don't know what to make of the last image.....Strange to have such a difference in plant appearance, when all other factors are the same.

Regarding the 150w CFL, personally I wouldn't bother with any CFL as high powered as that. I haven't
used one but I am told they make a humming noise. I'd get more of the smaller 23W CFL personally. I picked up a box of 4, 23W 2700k CFL for £15.00. Throw in a couple of 6500k ones too and jobs a good'n. Good luck!

Don't know what to make of the last image.....Strange to have such a difference in plant appearance, when all other factors are the same.

Regarding the 150w CFL, personally I wouldn't bother with any CFL as high powered as that. I haven't
used one but I am told they make a humming noise. I'd get more of the smaller 23W CFL personally. I picked up a box of 4, 23W 2700k CFL for £15.00. Throw in a couple of 6500k ones too and jobs a good'n. Good luck!

I have a 200w CFL right now and doesn't make any noise! ;) Anyway i will go to a store tommorow to see for how many € i can get the 23w's !

Im planning on getting 4 if i can make a better deal than the 150w!

Anyway regarding the plants , ohoo they do very good! I wake up this morning went to check them , the moby is getting bigger and bigger and the master kush is actually growing and getting normal folliage , i guess it was just me not planting the seeds deep enough and making some problems with the roots!

I also changed my cfl positin to horizontal , because someone told me in pm i was wasting the light by putting it vertically!

little pic update
I'm so sure this grow will get to be awesome with all you guys here, thanks again
=>>
20150104_162427.jpg
20150104_162421.jpg
20150104_162404.jpg

Hola guys :420:

Today i was at home , so i went to a store near by and made a little cheap update to my grow! Also watched for cfl's and found them at 5.50€ each /23w 2700k!

Next things on the list :

4 x 23w cfl's
ph meter
out fan
biobizz try pack

today I bought this
Scale was only 2€ so i couln't resist buying it LOL =>
20150105_144939.jpg

And then you have the finish product! I used to attach the cfl with shoes laces LOL , now looks a bit more professional but also SAFER!

20150105_160058.jpg
20150105_160118.jpg

Now i have a few questions guys!

Its 3 weeks old a good time to start supplement the plants?! i want to buy the biobizz try pack
How much water should i use at every watering and how often to water? i use 500ml per plant now and water every 2 days!

Hey thegift!!

Sorry I am late too the party, but it looks like you have things up and running smoothly at this point! Just caught up and subbed, so I figured I would offer up my 2 cents on your questions.

Your concern for the two Master Kush isn't unwarranted, at first glance they look a little sickly, HOWEVER they are only a few days old and might just be a finicky strain. There isn't much you can do except keep watering with clean Tap/Distilled water until they fix themselves. The only other possible explanation I can see, is that your soil might be too nutrient rich for such small plants, and they are a little stressed... is CompoSana the soil you are using?

About watering, basically a good rule of thumb is water when the pots are dry... Cannabis plants LOVE to soak up all of the water in the pot in between waterings. This promotes root growth, as they stretch to the bottom of the pot in search of water. Many growers will feel how heavy their pots are when they are full and DRY, then use that as a gauge to determine when they need watering.

On Nutrients: You can start basically anytime you want, however waiting until 3 weeks is a good idea to start feedings.. and even then I would only feed at 25% recommended strength and then work your way up depending on how your plants react. Many growers will not give any liquid nutrients to plants in the Vegetative Stage because usually the soil has more than enough nutrients to suffice Vegetative Growth. That is what I am doing in my second Journal, because admittedly I was overly-excited to use Nutrients and ended up over-feeding them in my first Journal.

Now that I re-read your post... another possible explanation for your Master Kush's appearance could be from over-watering. I'm not sure if 500ml every two days is a lot, which is why I just go by how dry the soil is... Hope this all helps!!

PEACE!

Now that I re-read your post... another possible explanation for your Master Kush's appearance could be from over-watering. I'm not sure if 500ml every two days is a lot, which is why I just go by how dry the soil is... Hope this all helps!!

PEACE!

:thumb: i am so happy to read all this , because i really love my grow and i don't know how other grower feel about their plants but i wanna treat them as i would like to be treated ;)! i give them all the attention they need!

So to answer your questions bro , my soil is COMPO SANA(Universal with perlite) !Now that i'm thinking the "pots" i had at the beggining we're actually bags LOL, the ones you use to carry the junk from the house! so there wasn't really much drainage because of the shape and how close they were to the surface of the grow tent!
Anyway i fixed that up , changed pots , cleaned with hot water and some alcohol the tent bottom , and put back the plants!

I will give you guys an update when they reach 14 days old, wich will be SATURDAY! they grow pretty fast!

:thanks: for all the answers and advices you gave man bro!

:peace: have a good night !

:thumb: i am so happy to read all this , because i really love my grow and i don't know how other grower feel about their plants but i wanna treat them as i would like to be treated ;)! i give them all the attention they need!

So to answer your questions bro , my soil is COMPO SANA(Universal with perlite) !Now that i'm thinking the "pots" i had at the beggining we're actually bags LOL, the ones you use to carry the junk from the house! so there wasn't really much drainage because of the shape and how close they were to the surface of the grow tent!
Anyway i fixed that up , changed pots , cleaned with hot water and some alcohol the tent bottom , and put back the plants!

I will give you guys an update when they reach 14 days old, wich will be SATURDAY! they grow pretty fast!

:thanks: for all the answers and advices you gave man bro!

:peace: have a good night !

Hey man of course! I love helping people out on here... I am at the point where I am starting to achieve a pretty large pool of knowledge on Cannabis Horticulture which means I have just recently felt confident enough to offer up advice to people!

So I think we definitely figured out what was wrong with your babies, probably a little bit of everything I mentioned... BUT the drainage issue is very key. It looked to me from your pictures that your soil was pretty saturated, and those bags definitely don't let any water out (unless there are holes in them) but even then, that isn't very good drainage. Roots don't like being water logged. If you did change pots (hopefully to 3-5 gallon pots with sufficient drainage holes at the bottom) and only water when soil is dry, that problem should fix itself. You might also want to grab some drip trays (very cheap) to keep the drainage controlled and your grow room clean.

Now... I did some research on that soil. All of the ingredients are fine for Cannabis, however that shit is LOADED with nutrients.... And I emphasize loaded. The nutrients that are mixed in will SUFFICIENTLY feed the plants for up to 6 WEEKS. So you should definitely be careful with your nutrients, wait until week 5-6 (or when you start to flower, whichever comes first.) to start them and when you do start around 25% recommended strength...

Good job identifying and fixing those minor problems, especially the potting issue... that will change a lot for you. Keep it green!!!

I promised to not update the journal till 14 days old , but i can't not share with you everything :420:

@MaxYields buddy i really appreciate your help! Top man :) ! The strange thing with my plants is that only the MKush strain had some problems! The moby , is really eating the soil , she loves it , and shes getting bigger and bigger!
Today i checked them and it seems like after repotting the MK is getting out a new set of leaves that look pretty healthy so hopefully until the 3rd-4th node she will get fixed , as i plan to TOP them!

Anyway great news , got some new incomes and today morning i went on Ebay and did some shopping! :bravo:

Got :

4 Cfl's 23w/2700k

2 of those
=>>
KGrHqN_rMFDIHBOKI4BQ6r_pyVHQ_60_57.JPG

aaaand 2 of those
=>>
57113.JPG

So i can say my grow tent is complete at almost 70% right now! Products will probably arrive by friday and i will post some photos with my ladies and the new grow room setup!

hello guys :420:

My ladies are now 2 weeks old , and to be honest with you , i'm not 100% happy with how things are going!

My cfl's have not yet arrived , but in the meantime i got from internet a reflector! So will make some good new changes as soon as they arrive!

My moby dicks are doing very good , one is huge the other one is doing good , while the master kush has not yet fully recovered and i found out that its some problem with the drainage because the moby soil gets dry at a faster rate and i really try to find a way to fix it!

2 days ago i topped the bigger Moby Dick and the effect is amazing! He had 3 nodes going for the forth topped it , stopped growing upward and instead in just 2 days has made an amazing ammount of lateral nodes! it looks beautiful (i will post some pics tommorow) , and will top the other one in a few days too!

good night guys! :peace:

im back :420:

i have some photos for you! (today my supposed cfl's should arrive but the ebay seller was actually pretty high LOL when he put my order , he sent me a polimeric battery , or something like that , for the toy machines) now im waiting for money back a will buy them at a store here , im pretty dissapointed as i though today i will end up setting the grow!

Take a look at my ladies , 2 weeks and something old :peace:

20150113_112001.jpg
20150113_112018.jpg

this is the little master kush wich i flushed yesterday and was such a good idea because she actually look a lot better today and also topped them and started growing wide!

=>>
20150113_112027.jpg

and then my beauty Moby Dick , topped also , and he exploded wide after the process! looks amazing

=>>
20150113_112040.jpg

Back
Top Bottom