1st LED Hydroponic White Widow Grow

JRAD

Hello folks, In case you didn't understand from the title, this is my first shot at growing. I have done a lot of research before attempting my grow, but still I have some questions that need some answers ...but most of all, I just need a little help.

I germinated 6 feminized White Widows from seeds, using presoaked rockwool cubes. I just got them planted in my superponics system on 10/14/13. Im using a 4x2 grow space with a 200watt KIND LED light and I plan to use a Scrog to up my yield when the time comes.

So I know its a little early to ask questions, but has anyone had experience growing White Widow in a hydro system? If so I have a couple questions:

1. When should I expect to place my scrog?

2. I know that all strains behave differently,typically thought, when should I expect to begin flowering my White Widows?

3. Okay so this one is just for fun, any ideas of what I could yield out of this?

:) Thank You!

photo17.PNG

Hello JRAD, I'm currently growing white widow in hydro and am 6 weeks in to flower and have also grown white widow in soil a few years ago.

"1. When should I expect to place my scrog?"

With that many plants in such a small area you won't need to veg them for long as they will out grow your area especially when they stretch after the switch to 12/12, they can nearly if not double in size!

2. I know that all strains behave differently,typically thought, when should I expect to begin flowering my White Widows?

Like I said above you will need to put them in flower quite early to avoid over crowding your grow room, I would say when they are about a month above soil.

3. Okay so this one is just for fun, any ideas of what I could yield out of this?

Hmm That's quite difficult as There are a few environmental things I don't know about your growing arrangements also I don't know what nutrients you are using pH, E.C, temps ect... and to be honest even though I do keep a eye on LED technology I don't now all that much about equivalent wattage and light penetration of LED panels but as a guess I'd say 9388732 KG!!!! :p

Just an update, the girls are looking great. Heres some pictures of the setup, I love waking up everyday and seeing how much they've grown!

photo536.JPG
photo535.JPG
photo535.jpg
photo536.jpg

Hello JRAD.
My Superponics Brother, another Supercloset grower!! Glad to have you here my friend. If you need help your in luck!!
I've got the LED Trinity Supercloset, and I'm loving it, you will love yours too. ;)
I just happen to be growing White Widow in my closet also. I'm 7 days from Harvest so I'm sure I can help you out with any questions you might have, just ask away.
lol, I'm so excited to see another supercloset grower, hehehe.

Here's a shot of a WW nug 7 days from harvest in my closet. ;)

IMG_002342.JPG

Feel free to check out both my Supercloset grows by clicking on the links in my signature below.
Good luck buddy.;)

Crap...lol I was so excited to see another Supercloset grower, I didn't really answer your questions.

1. My closet is 3 feet x 2 feet x 6 feet and I only have 2 plants in one closet and 3 in the other and they are crowded. You might want to go down to 3 or 4 plants in your closet for the first grow. Its up to you in the end, but it might be a little easier to manage. I set the scrog 1 foot above the lid of the reservoir and it worked out perfect, I built my own screen in the closet and then used the flimsy magnet screen that came with the closet as a secondary screen to support the colas.

2. I vegged for 45 days, but it really depends on when your plants hit the trellis and how full you want your screen to be. I say veg for at least a month to 6 weeks. 1 month in your case as you have 8 plants.

3. As far as yield goes, I'm 7 days away from my first harvest but if all goes well, i'm expecting/ hoping for between 4-6 zips from my first closet and prob about a zip more than that from my second (dry). I'd be happy for about a 3/4's of a pound from both closets my first try growing. second round I expect to improve it. ;)

IMG_004036.JPG

Good Luck.:thumb:

I'm sure I have a ton more info but getting tired, gonna go medicate and then hit the hay.
I have some tips for you in the nutrient department also. Did you get the extra nutes with the closet, or just the small trial case that comes included?

Week 1 Update

Got the water changed out last night, and as of today the girls have been planted for exactly 7 days. They're looking nice and healthy :)

PH 5.7
Temperature 85.6F or 29.7C
Humidity 24%

photo537.jpg
photo537.JPG

Hey @ Stealth Grow, Glad to have the help of another supercloset owner on here. I refrained from mentioning that my growbox is a supercloset because frankly I don't want to hear anyone bad mouth them or comment on their price. I actually bought my closet directly from their warehouse which is only 10 minutes away from my house, here in San Francisco. I am currently using the technoflora recipe for success that was included with the Unit ...I plan to upgrade my Nutes for my next grow, but until then any tips you have are appreciated. I purchased the "superstar" unit with a cloning chamber as well, any tips for cycle rotation? It seems like the clones will outgrow the space before my plants can finish so I am a bit hesitant to try to clone. Again thanks for you help so far and any tips or tricks you're willing to share are MUCH appreciated. Happy Growings! :)

Hi Jrad, no bad mouthing of the company from me, I couldn't be happier.;)
I followed the nutrient chart almost to a tee for the first grow and honestly, I way overfed. I think I overfed the girls to the point of stunting their growth a little. Not the companies fault, as its not designed to grow MM and also says its only the "recommended" amount of nutes etc...I could tell that I overfed because I have a nutrient PH/PPM/Temp monitor. Anyway my second round I'm cutting the nutrients in half, and I would suggest you do also.

Keep the LED light at least 2 feet/24 inches above the plants at first when they are seedlings, any closer and they don't seem to like it and start showing signs of stress. As they grow they get used to the light i guess and its not as much of an issue unless they are right under it. (2 inches or less)

Change the reservoir every 7 days, give or take a day if required, not a big deal. PH to 5.8 when changing reservoir.
Try keeping reservoir temps around 70F or below if possible. I was putting plastic bottles filled with ice in the reservoir this summer to keep the temps down.

I took my clones about a week before I flipped to 12/12, they are still in the cloning chamber 65 days later but have almost outgrown it. I have been low stress training (LST) them to keep them short. Its kinda hard to see in the pic but the are all tied down with plastic ties to the neighbouring net pots. Thank god I'm harvesting this weekend coming up and can transplant them to the main chambers in the closets.

IMG_004538.JPG

IMG_004636.JPG

Not sure what else to put.... If you have any questions feel free to post em on my journal....and read my journal, either one. They both start from seed and have all my info. PPM, PH, temps, problems i had, dates...everything is there. I tried to keep a pretty detailed journal cause when I was shopping around there weren't many test grows or reviews of the LED closets.
Good luck and talk to ya soon. ;)

Yes the lights are included,but you can buy them separately i believe from $700-$1000 depending on which size you choose.

So far the system itself is completely turnkey, Im am very impressed, they include practically everything you need except for the seeds. :)

Hey there, So I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on my plants. So I changed the water out on 10/20 Using technaflora nutrients and I did not add the Magicali (Magnesium & Calcium Supplement) because my feeding chart said to wait for visible root development. Today I noticed the fan leaf on one plant appearing droopy and slight discoloration as well. I pulled up one of the net cups and saw roots popping through, so I figured it's due to the magnesium deficiency caused by not adding the MagiCali ...So I decided to add the MagiCali and hope for the best. Also I haven't added in the Thrive alive B-1 red yet because Im not sure if they're ready for that. Please any advise will help! Thank you!

photo-12.PNG

It looks like heat/light stress JRAD, I has a very similar problem with my girls when they were that age.
How high above your plants are the lights? Make sure they are at least 2 feet away from the plant tops. Don't worry about stretch, I found the node spacing still very tight even with the lights high above the plants, one of the bonuses of LED's.
You can add the magi-cal if you want, it shouldn't hurt your plants.
Good luck.

I had the light about 16 inches away. I just moved it to 2 feet and Im hoping they like the adjustment. I'll post an update tomorrow to show if they're improving or not. Thanks a lot!!

Hey thanks for the tips! They're looking much healthier now, and they have really taken a liking to the lighting adjustment!
photo538.JPG
photo538.jpg

JRAD
Nice set up! That WW will be dangerous when completed........
I'm in the process of setting up a little LED grow with a DWC/ Aero unit and will be purchasing the LED this weekend - was thinking of KIND, Advanced DS, GroBlu, or Black Dod and was wondering what steered you to the KIND LED? They look like a well built light with a large spectrum. Would appreaciate your thoughts. The area will be 3' x 4'.

Thanks

Hello JRAD, I'm currently growing white widow in hydro and am 6 weeks in to flower and have also grown white widow in soil a few years ago.

"1. When should I expect to place my scrog?"

With that many plants in such a small area you won't need to veg them for long as they will out grow your area especially when they stretch after the switch to 12/12, they can nearly if not double in size!

Like I said above you will need to put them in flower quite early to avoid over crowding your grow room, I would say when they are about a month above soil.

Hmm That's quite difficult as There are a few environmental things I don't know about your growing arrangements also I don't know what nutrients you are using pH, E.C, temps ect... and to be honest even though I do keep a eye on LED technology I don't now all that much about equivalent wattage and light penetration of LED panels but as a guess I'd say 9388732 KG!!!! :p

Nice grow Jrad I'm looking forward to watching this one, just a little word of advice I was the 1st person to attempt to answer your questions when you started this thread trying to be as helpful as I can using 7 years of experience and happened to have grown white widow twice and as much as I don't want to course bad vibes on this site as this site provides the opposite to that, that's why I joined a thank you might have been welcome.

Yes Thank you DrTentgrow! You were the first person to respond, I appreciate it! I wasn't too sure how to navigate the website, So I didn't respond right away, then I medicated and whooops ...I totally forgot to lol. You're WW we're freaking BEAUTIFUL! Hopefully my gals can hold a candle to yours!

Back
Top Bottom