2 week old auto trying to flower, or just showing sex? Is this normal?

Olddog Newtrick

First grow ever here so forgive my ignorance but, what’s going on here?
Everything has been looking good to me but, I just noticed this yesterday.

Strain White widow auto
Hybrid
How Many Plants? 2
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Early veg
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? 2 week old plant
Indoor
Soil
If Soil... What is in your Mix? Strawberry fields with 15% perlite
If Soil... What Size Pot? 5 gallon
Size (Wattage) of Light? 200w sf2000 @300 par
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 78
RH of Room/Cabinet? 65-70
PH of Medium or Reservoir? 6.5
Any Pests? No
How Often are you Watering? Spray bottle 1-2 times a day
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Watered at 10 days with 470 ppm with fox farms recommended nutes
Size or Square Footage of Room? 2x4 tent

IMG_2934.jpeg

IMG_2935.jpeg

First grow ever here so forgive my ignorance but, what’s going on here?
Everything has been looking good to me but, I just noticed this yesterday.

Strain White widow auto
Hybrid
How Many Plants? 2
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Early veg
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? 2 week old plant
Indoor
Soil
If Soil... What is in your Mix? Strawberry fields with 15% perlite
If Soil... What Size Pot? 5 gallon
Size (Wattage) of Light? 200w sf2000 @300 par
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 78
RH of Room/Cabinet? 65-70
PH of Medium or Reservoir? 6.5
Any Pests? No
How Often are you Watering? Spray bottle 1-2 times a day
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Watered at 10 days with 470 ppm with fox farms recommended nutes
Size or Square Footage of Room? 2x4 tent

IMG_2934.jpeg

IMG_2935.jpeg
Beautiful girl my friend.
Welcome to 420Magazine :welcome:
The tap root needs something to chase.
Watering properly in a big pot is important. :Namaste:
Would you like some guidance on that?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Beautiful girl my friend.
Welcome to 420Magazine :welcome:
The tap root needs something to chase.
Watering properly in a big pot is important. :Namaste:
Would you like some guidance on that?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Thank you!
I’ve read the sticky on watering and am using a moisture meter to check down deep but, I’d be a fool to turn down experienced guidance. Any and all help and advice is greatly welcomed.

Thank you!
I’ve read the sticky on watering and am using a moisture meter to check down deep but, I’d be a fool to turn down experienced guidance. Any and all help and advice is greatly welcomed.
Good Morning Amigo.
By sticky on watering did you mean Emilya's thread on watering?
Have you read it?
Unfortunately moisture meters are notoriously inaccurate. :Namaste:
I water to runoff and then let the soil dry.
You will need a wet/ dry cycle in soil.
Lifting or weighing the pot works well and watching her for droop is a sign to water again .

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I’ve read the sticky on watering and am using a moisture meter to check down deep but,
The author of the sticky on "watering a potted plant" was not in favor of using or relying on the moisture meters. Sometimes they help to tell where the level of moist soil is in a pot but more often they are in-accurate enough that the grower ends not being sure.

The author keeps stressing that knowing the way the container feels when wet and when dry will go a lot further in being able to maintain a plant healthy watering schedule or system.

Good Morning Amigo.
By sticky on watering did you mean Emilya's thread on watering?
Have you read it?
Unfortunately moisture meters are notoriously inaccurate. :Namaste:
I water to runoff and then let the soil dry.
You will need a wet/ dry cycle in soil.
Lifting or weighing the pot works well and watching her for droop is a sign to water again .

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Yes, that’s the article. I’ve read and reread it several times.
It’s hard to know where I’m at in the process so, I’m going to get the scale out.
My idea is to take their weight and check it a few hours later. If the weight is dropping then I don’t need water. Once I find the low point, should I then water till runoff? And I guess that’s when I should add my nutes?
One looked a little droopy last night so I gave her a spray but, they got an initial watering a few days ago (as per Emilya’s guide). I’ll post pictures here but, should probably move to my grow journal since you all answered my initial question. Thank you again for the insight, even if I do everything right, it’s nice to have confirmation from someone with experience.

The author of the sticky on "watering a potted plant" was not in favor of using or relying on the moisture meters. Sometimes they help to tell where the level of moist soil is in a pot but more often they are in-accurate enough that the grower ends not being sure.

The author keeps stressing that knowing the way the container feels when wet and when dry will go a lot further in being able to maintain a plant healthy watering schedule or system.
Yeah, that’s kinda how it works in my head too.
Not going so much by the measurements but just using it as an additional source of reference. Like you said, I can kinda see that today it read less than yesterday and the water table is lower. Kinda gives confirmation.
Thanks for your input!

Yes, that’s the article. I’ve read and reread it several times.
It’s hard to know where I’m at in the process so, I’m going to get the scale out.
My idea is to take their weight and check it a few hours later. If the weight is dropping then I don’t need water. Once I find the low point, should I then water till runoff?
I water to runoff everytime.
Give the tap root something to chase.
I also mound the center so water runs to the outside.
Makes roots go to the outside and get more air.
And I guess that’s when I should add my nutes?
Typically in soil people feed/water/feed/water with an appropriate dry period in between.
One looked a little droopy last night so I gave her a spray but, they got an initial watering a few days ago (as per Emilya’s guide). I’ll post pictures here but, should probably move to my grow journal since you all answered my initial question. Thank you again for the insight, even if I do everything right, it’s nice to have confirmation from someone with experience.
Talk soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I just weighed them, I’ll check again before lights out and see if there’s a difference. Also gonna start a grow journal for the other tent.
Update pics just because I like showing off the girls. :yummy:

IMG_2937.jpeg

IMG_2936.jpeg

It is a lot of watering procedures people follow. I always do the circle on the outside till runoff and then water the middle in a circle till runoff. It helps rinse that big root ball.

Seems like a solid technique to me
Thank you

Once I find the low point, should I then water till runoff?
Once the pot of soil mix has become light weight then it is time. I am not sure how often Emilya mentioned 'watering to run-off' in the thread but I do remember her say that she had settled on watering till she just started to see some water coming from the bottom drain holes. More of a watering till run-off just starts to show and avoiding all the waiting and mess of watering to a 10% run-off.

And I guess that’s when I should add my nutes?
Many fertilizing schedules will tell the grower how often to mix the fertilizer and add to the water. One way to work with the schedule is to match the size of the pot of soil and the size of the plant. A small seedling like yours in a 1 quart pot of soil will need watering about every 3 to 4 days. As the plant gets larger it uses more water and when it is drying out the soil in a day or two it is time to transplant to a slightly larger container.

If the fertilizer schedule is to feed twice a week and the plant shows signs of needing water every 2 to 3 days it becomes easy to do a water with fertilizer twice a week maintaining the suggested schedule.

Once the pot of soil mix has become light weight then it is time. I am not sure how often Emilya mentioned 'watering to run-off' in the thread but I do remember her say that she had settled on watering till she just started to see some water coming from the bottom drain holes. More of a watering till run-off just starts to show and avoiding all the waiting and mess of watering to a 10% run-off.

Many fertilizing schedules will tell the grower how often to mix the fertilizer and add to the water. One way to work with the schedule is to match the size of the pot of soil and the size of the plant. A small seedling like yours in a 1 quart pot of soil will need watering about every 3 to 4 days. As the plant gets larger it uses more water and when it is drying out the soil in a day or two it is time to transplant to a slightly larger container.

If the fertilizer schedule is to feed twice a week and the plant shows signs of needing water every 2 to 3 days it becomes easy to do a water with fertilizer twice a week maintaining the suggested schedule.
I have been weighing them twice a day for 2 days. They were losing about 4 ounces a day but, the new growth on one was starting to droop a bit so I took it as a sign to water.
Just finished watering them to runoff with a 970 tds mix, which was just under the recommended tds level. Took 1 gallon for 2 plants in 5 gallon containers. We’ll see how they are doing in the morning.

drooping could be several things. plants normally droop at day end if they get enough light. careful with the watering / feeding. it's easy to overdo it when you first start growing.

Back
Top Bottom