2014 HeavyWeights Duke It Out for the Silver Coin

Re: 2014 HeavyWeights Duke it out for the Silver Coin with Rock Nutrients

20140922_224751.jpg

AK47/Chem Dog respectively. Day 11 (9/22/14) Capn Style first run! :) Thanks Cap your an inspiration!

Healthy, nicely topped. VERY nice choice in strains. If you have a journal, you're welcome to post a link to it here, so we can see more pictures.

Here ya go guys....
Official vegetative growth kicked off on 9-4, so today we are nearly ending the 3rd week.

Today:
FightForTheCoin_20140923_110008.jpg

My Purple Dreams are starting to get into the rapid growth state. This is where it gets fun. This contest is mostly a game of vegetative growth. Whoever has the biggest plant on Oct 1st, when we go to flower, will most likely get the biggest yield. So let's point out a couple tips about capn style veg, and how we can get the fastest growth now:

* Hand watering generously to waste daily, in the mornings. By allowing lots of run off, we are constantly flushing the media with new nutrients. This helps prevent any nutrient build up in the pot, it prevents PH swings inside the root zone, and this helps keep your stems green, instead of purple. Plants grow faster when they get more fresh nutrients. Don't get cheap on me. Water those puppies. It's nearly impossible to over water the grow-cubes.

* Transplanting: A week ago I transplanted to the one gallon pot. I'll wait one more week and then go to the next size up. With this size pot, and the size of the the plants, the pots are noticeably lighter at the end of the day. When this happens, it's usually nearly time to transplant to a bigger pot. If you wait too long, plants become lanky (skinny and tall). You can even do a second watering near the end of the day. More info here: How to know when it's time to transplant - CapnStyle - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

* Lighting: When you're growing under T5 or other florescent lighting, keep the lights as close as you can, without heating up the leaves. You WILL get faster and more bushy growth, if you keep your T5 lights close (within 4-6"). Sling uses T5 in veg, and he keeps his lights close too. If the light is too high, plants stretch too much (lanky) and branches will be weak.

* Topping: Top early and often. Each of these were topped as soon as I saw new growth after the clone rooted, then those two tops were topped again after they were a couple inches tall. It is much easier to make a network of branches NOW, than later. Not sure how to top your plant? Look here: Just the TIP! How to top, or TIP your cannabis plant. - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

A few people have asked me what else I have going on the grow room. Here are a couple sneak peaks.

Dinafem OG. This comes down in a week: (hoping for 17-18zips)
20140922_183241.jpg

Serious Seeds BubbleGum. This is a "bonus" plant in the flower room. It's in a small free space I have about 2.5 x 3'. This is about 34 days into flower (after this one, I'm done with the gum). My goal with this plant is to beat my record of 1.5 zips per sq ft. I'll have to get more than 11.25 out of it to reach my goal. I'm fairly confident I will get there. This pheno of gum produces the huge, long colas. It is difficult to let it go, but I need to make room for the Purple Dream and must keep plant count low.
20140923_113840.jpg
[/

When do you like to move them under MH?

These are truly motivational images TheCapn, are these done with the General Hydroponics nutrients?

How do you estimate the quantity of nutrients you may need for a complete grow, I assume you had to do some estimating for this grow and the new nutrient type, that said I'm also curious how you estimate for the General Hydroponics nutrients that you are at ease with?

Thanks as well for the bits of information you are always passing around!!

is there any difference in buying the little cubes to just cutting them up out of a slab?

only asking as i cut some up yesterday and soaked them in some tea for my journal grow that i'd like do say was capn style

Yes you can chop up the slabs if you want. Just wear a mask and gloves. It's not a good thing to breathe it in.

But using cubes doesn't quality for "Capn style". You'll need to grow big! Top and bend often, spread it out! I'll keep an eye on your journal.

These are truly motivational images TheCapn, are these done with the General Hydroponics nutrients?

How do you estimate the quantity of nutrients you may need for a complete grow, I assume you had to do some estimating for this grow and the new nutrient type, that said I'm also curious how you estimate for the General Hydroponics nutrients that you are at ease with?

Thanks as well for the bits of information you are always passing around!!

Thanks for the compliments. These two particular specimens are going with Advanced Nutrients. That said, I bought a load of AN at the beginning of the year. I'm almost done with it and I won't buy them again. Yes, I like AN, but after using at least 4 different brands of nutrients, I can promise you this... you can do well with just about any popular brand. It's 90% grower, 10% nutrients. I like gen hydro the best, and closely behind that is Dutch master. I like being able to call GH and getting someone on the phone right now and asking questions.

I emailed "rock nutrients" when I started this journal, and they STILL have not responded to my email.

If you're going with the general hydroponics and want to get started cheaply, get the "go box" to start, and then buy the quarts after this.

about cutting up the slabs of rockwool.. Use a super super sharp knife.

I used my chef knife because it could split hairs, but with a dull blade, you are just going to tear up your rockwool and wont have chunks, but more so a bowl of rockwool oatmeal :rofl:

When do you like to move them under MH?

From post 93 of this thread:

"T5 for the first few weeks of veg on the left. For the last few weeks, they get moved under the 600MH, and a new baby gets put under the T5. The MH isn't needed for veg. You can get amazing results from T5 lighting all the way through veg. With the 600W MH in the last few weeks of veg, in my experience, it makes the plants are a little "harder". Stems are a little harder / stronger. The plant stays a little shorter (remember, less light = more stretch), nodes stay closer together, and plants are less lanky."

We veg for 2 months.

Note: when replying with quote, we can remove pictures, as to not bloat the thread.

about cutting up the slabs of rockwool.. Use a super super sharp knife.

I used my chef knife because it could split hairs, but with a dull blade, you are just going to tear up your rockwool and wont have chunks, but more so a bowl of rockwool oatmeal :rofl:

I've always wanted to take the slab, cut it into thirds and make a giant block and grow right into it!

He's "choppin rock wool".

Thanks for the compliments. These two particular specimens are going with Advanced Nutrients. That said, I bought a load of AN at the beginning of the year. I'm almost done with it and I won't buy them again. Yes, I like AN, but after using at least 4 different brands of nutrients, I can promise you this... you can do well with just about any popular brand. It's 90% grower, 10% nutrients. I like gen hydro the best, and closely behind that is Dutch master. I like being able to call GH and getting someone on the phone right now and asking questions.

I emailed "rock nutrients" when I started this journal, and they STILL have not responded to my email.

To answer your "estimate" question, I just posted a blog entry similar to this, which might help you:

CapnStyle - Cost breakdown for initial costs, and recurring costs - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

If you're going with the general hydroponics and want to get started cheaply, get the "go box" to start, and then buy the quarts after this.

I do plan to go with General Hydroponics and to the best of my ability follow the style you have outlined across this forum.

I stripped the picks from the quote above, sorry for bloating the page ;-) as per your suggestion.

Cap'n

In looking at the 2 pictures,is it my eyes or are the plants growing that much different??

the gh is obviously taller,but it also looks bushier in the middle,where as the rock side has a little more air flow in the middle,did you trim?

I do plan to go with General Hydroponics and to the best of my ability follow the style you have outlined across this forum.

I stripped the picks from the quote above, sorry for bloating the page ;-) as per your suggestion.

Glad to have you along. Bloat or no bloat. This would be a good journal to model. There's no reason you can't do the same thing if you follow the same recipe.

Cap'n

In looking at the 2 pictures,is it my eyes or are the plants growing that much different??

the gh is obviously taller,but it also looks bushier in the middle,where as the rock side has a little more air flow in the middle,did you trim?

Hey C, no trimming, no pruning has been done. Just a few tops taken off. I also bend out the branches a little bit a few times a week. They pop right back up but using that technique makes the branches stronger. Gosh.... I need to blog about that. Anyway... when I look at the two plants, yeah the GH plant is bigger. It was a tiny bit bigger when it started so it had a slight head start.

GH is not out "outperforming" rock in veg, just because it is a bit bigger. A "one to one plant" is just not enough to make that determination, but it is enough to decide if one blows the other away. Which obviously, neither is insanely ahead of the other.

I think we can safely say, that rock is not out performing GH either, don't you think?

It's time to move up to a bigger pot. These cong-itos are soaking up everything out of their pots by the end of the day.

Nice talkin to all you guys. I wonder if sling is still in this contest. Talk to us, sling!

Glad to have you along. Bloat or no bloat. This would be a good journal to model. There's no reason you can't do the same thing if you follow the same recipe.

Absolutely, I feel a bit like a stalker or fanboy jotting down notes and having way more tabs open than is in any way reasonable to try to follow all the links you point to.

I certainly hope sling is still in it to win it, I was thinking earlier today it might have been a little more fair if the clones were shipped to both of you from a central location. The shipping stress would have been a little more equal I would think. The stuff those boxes go through is not generally very nice to any living thing.

Can't wait to see the new living quarters for the plants.

Back
Top Bottom