2percentmilk's First Indoor Grow: Hempy & Soil

2percentmilk

Hello there fellow growers. First things first I've been growing cannabis for a few years but only ever outdoors. I've learned alot from my time cultivating but I've since abandoned my home state due to some personal issues. This led me to a new opportunity and I've decided to experiment a bit and I want to bring you all along with me and hopefully learn a thing or two from some of the more experienced growers on the forum.

Coming over to the new state I brought with me 4 seeds that I had leftover from some of the freebie seeds I got from one of my other orders, although I'm not quite sure which seedbank.

I started the germination process about 2 days ago and all 4 seeds have popped so far.

2x Red Russian XXL
2x Bubblegum + Pro

Since this is my first time attempting anything indoor and by extension, anything hydroponics, I'll be doing a mix of both hydro and soil. The system of hydro I decided to go with was hempy considering the simplicity and similarity to normal handwatered soil. I will be doing 1 of each strain in each system that way if the hydro fails I still have 2 plants and one of each that I can fall back on if I need to. I've also decided to go with 100% perlite after asking around and doing a bit of research.
I ordered a massive 4 cu. Foot bag of perlite off of amazon which is amazing for the price point at only 36 usd with free amazon prime shipping. I did however notice some things that show it might have been worth spending a few extra bucks for better quality.
As you can see there is some small chunks of rock that were scattered through the bag that I discovered while washing the dust off the perlite, there's not a ton, about 5-10% roughly of the bag was these little rocks but it was definitely enough to catch my attention. Not only that but while alot of the perlite seems to be good quality, quite a bit of it is very fine and I guess its just something I'm going to have to work with. Either way, I've already filled my 2 gallon hempy buckets up with the stuff and am ready to get things under way
For the nutrient line I'm running I'm going with the simple GH line as it's a cheap option and will work for my beginning needs, I dont need anything too crazy.

I havent shown my full setup mainly because it hasnt gotten here yet. I'm still waiting until monday for my tent, soil and ph tester with ph up and down to get here. But when I do I will show the rest of the setup with lights I will be running as well.

Hey there 2P, im subbed in
Good luck with your first indoor grow.

Perlite comes from the earth, of course there’s rocks or impurities. I’ve used that brand but I got the largest size #8.
Looks like a nice grow coming along. :thumb:
I wish I could've gotten that size, I went for the #2 but that was only because I kinda wanted to go a bit cheaper side and it was almost twice the price for a larger size. Live and learn I guess. I have a ton of it now so itll need to be used one way or another, I cant imagine it will make too much of a difference.

Just a quick little update I added a bit of vermiculite to the medium to help retain some moisture. The bottom 2 inches are still pure perlite but above that is around a 20% vermiculite/perlite mixture. I was stressing a bit about whether I would be able to keep it watered well enough but this should ease my worries a bit.

The setup is finally up and a good thing too, both the red russian seeds already had a huge taproot and were already showing their cotelydon leaves in the paper towel, so I'm glad I got them planted as soon as the mail came in. Hopefully me getting a bit of a start a bit too early didnt affect them too much. I did have a bit of a problem with one of the bubblegum seeds though it wasnt growing whatsoever since day one and it left a little bit of residue on the paper towel where it was. Seemed a bit mushy as well, either way if it doesnt grow I wont be too upset.

Looking forward to your grow, I'm in.

Courious, what are you using for a light/lights ?

It's been awhile from my last post but mostly because there wasnt much progress, turns out my light was too powerful and I had to dim it a bit and raise it up to around 40" I started getting some burned leaf leaves and wind damage from putting a bigger fan on the seedling to try and lower the heat a bit but it's been raining and since I took precautions the plant has exploded in growth and is growing very vigorously and seems to have gotten out of its
Stunted phase

Here's the growth over just one week

Nice. I’m still learning the power of LED’s too. It’s very deceiving, because they emit little heat and yet the light is too powerful. I keep raising my light up until the new growth is nice and perky. They will develop larger leaves with less light, counterintuitive I know.

:yummy: :thumb::goodjob:

Nice. I’m still learning the power of LED’s too. It’s very deceiving, because they emit little heat and yet the light is too powerful. I keep raising my light up until the new growth is nice and perky. They will develop larger leaves with less light, counterintuitive I know.

:yummy: :thumb::goodjob:

Definitely that coupled with 110 degree days with no air conditioning and just a little box fan to circulate the air. Definitely something to learn, I'm glad I didnt jump straight into a really high powered led like the optic COBs or those quantum boards. I can only imagine what that girl would've gone through under my care.

August 30th
The girl seemed to be recovering her stress pretty well and had start growing pretty rapidly over the week and I decided to top her and in just a day and a half the girl shows no signs of slowing down. I think I may have fucked up though because I think I may have unintentionally fimmed her.

Since she seemed to be doing so much better I lowered the light back down to 27 inches and added the veg blue spectrum leds in addition its white spectrum bumping up the intensity and she seems to be handling it very well.

I just cant wait until the lower branching picks up a little more I cant waiting to getting into training these the way I want them to look.

Happy labor day, the girl got her first bit of food this morning, she finally started drying up a bit which took at least 2 weeks from the last watering so I gave her a quarter strength dose of 1/4 teaspoon of each of the bottles mixed in with 1 gallon of water phed to 6.7
I also started experimented with some low stress plant tucking to expose some the lower growth cover by the fan leaves and it seems to ne working out very well. The bottom growth is very quickly growing up to the top and will lend itself very easily to filling inside of a scrog net.

Back
Top Bottom