Hempy Headquarters

Hello! I know this thread is a little old but I was wondering if anyone has tried calcined clay in hempy or does it sound like it would do good? I’m going to try it out soon. I will germ in 100% perlite and transplant to calcined clay. I think it’s ph is around 5.6.

it's more suited to active hydro but it should work. i've run passive with hydroton before.

I read this whole thread but I can’t remember who but someone was using gravel of some sort with coco caps. Would the calcined clay be better? It’s actually montmorillonite calcined clay.
Montmorillonite Clay

most things clay won't wick decent enough to support the plant before the roots hit the res. if you run anything clay you'll need to feed more often earlier and use more nutes until the roots make the res.

clay is ok, it's advantage is it's completely re-usable, which could lower costs, but since hempy is a drain to waste system, you will probably wind up using more inputs, increasing your costs.

the best media for hempy is perlite alone hands down. in extremely dry climates a little vermiculite helps out. most of the perlite can be re-used if you want to go to the trouble. it's such a cheap media most don't bother. i buy it in 120L bales at about $40 cdn.

most things clay won't wick decent enough to support the plant before the roots hit the res. if you run anything clay you'll need to feed more often earlier and use more nutes until the roots make the res.

clay is ok, it's advantage is it's completely re-usable, which could lower costs, but since hempy is a drain to waste system, you will probably wind up using more inputs, increasing your costs.

the best media for hempy is perlite alone hands down. in extremely dry climates a little vermiculite helps out. most of the perlite can be re-used if you want to go to the trouble. it's such a cheap media most don't bother. i buy it in 120L bales at about $40 cdn.
Thanks a lot! I will only try one for experimental purposes.

Back
Top Bottom