Rickle Piiiiick

Thought I’d post a grow journal of my hempy style grow for others who may be interested in researching the process. Full disclosure this is my first attempt at hempy, and only my 3rd successful grow in over a decade. My goal here is simple though, benefit from an easy to manage and cheap base hydro nutrient supplementation (Lucas/MaxiBloom) but with a soil type watering obligation. I’m a working professional, who likes his MJ; but I can’t always be tethered to a watering schedule. This is a -somewhat- stealth grow in a converted steel security cabinet (18”x36”x72”) situated in a below grade basement utility room. Along with this being my foray into hempy, it will also be my first attempt at mani-folding/mainlining.

STRAIN INFO:
1628126629028.png

GROWING ENVIRONMENT:

Grow Space: Steel Cabinet
Growing Medium: 100% perlite (clay pebble topper and in reservoir)
Container: 3.5gal hempy style bucket
Veg Light Schedule: 20hrs On / 4hrs Off
Daytime Temp Range: 74-78F
Night-time Temp Range: 72-74 F
Daytime RH Range: 50-60%
Night-time RH Range: 50-60%
Water: Tap/RO
Water Schedule: 1 hour after lights on, every other day
Nutrient Supplements: MaxiBloom (7g/gal) + ¼ tsp Epsom salt

Nutrient Schedule: Started supplementing nutrients at week 2 (first week of veg) diluted full strength MaxiBloom nutrient mix to 200-300 ppm on the .5 EC scale. Week 3, increased to 400-500 ppm. And week 4 started full strength, 900+ ppm.

1628126735771.png

5JUL2021:
She popped, off to a good start.

1628126751063.png

End of Week 1 (germination week): Here’s where I abruptly decided to change course and switch to a hempy style grow. Note of caution to others, if you germinate in a starter puck (peat moss or coco) it retains a lot of water for a long time, certainly longer than perlite so it’s easy to water-log the poor seedling, even when the perlite and reservoir are dry. As seen here, she’s not very happy in her hempy solo cup. Everywhere I could find that discussed hempy style growing, failed to really go into enough detail about starting from seed in hempy; so I of course watered too much, too close to the coco puck and stunted her a bit.

The hempy solo cup is fairly straightforward, I poked a small pencil sized hole about 2 fingers up from the bottom of the cup, filled the cup with horticulture grade perlite – because that’s all I had available to me; and gradually watered around the perimeter to encourage roots to grow/chase the water down into the reservoir.

1628126777235.png

End of VEG WEEK 1: Rough, scraggly and obviously hungry. Giving the perlite adequate time to dry out while desperately needing to supplement (N), was an impossible task. But I am determined to stick to the K.I.S.S/Lucas method using MaxiBloom and tap water, for science…

1628126792136.png

End of VEG WEEK 2: Chugging along. Still looking hungry, but the new growth tells me the roots have hit the little solo cup reservoir, which means she's about ready for an upgrade...

1628126803642.png

End of VEG WEEK 3: New digs! She moved into her new/final home earlier this week, more about the setup next…

1628126812878.png

HEMPY – AUTO FEED & DTW CABINET: Again, the goal her is to be slightly low maintenance in the watering department, while maximizing the grow space, incorporating the mainlining HST technique.

So what we’ve got here is a simple condensate pump situated below 2 oval buckets, each with 5/8” pvc elbows and tubing for drainage. The condensate pump has an automatic float switch that engages the pump after the water reaches a certain level, then pumps the overflow to a 5gal collection jug; which I then in-turn re-use to water my outdoor garden with.

About the buckets. They're supposedly 3.5 gallons, I bought them at Walmart for two reasons, they were cheap (<$3 each) and they were oval. This allows me the freedom to cram 3 in next to each other, side by side if I really needed to; I just poked the holes in the ends rather than the sides. Each bucket is filled with -primarily- 100% horticulture grade perlite, except for the LECA pebbles in the bottom reservoir to keep the perlite at bay, and as a topper because – who likes to look at algae. About the perlite, I’d recommend getting the larger grade course stuff. Horticulture grade can get pretty fine and useless, but it’s all I had access to at the time and it seems to be working ok; so long as it’s washed and rinsed beforehand. That goes for the clay pebbles too. I washed them in mild bleach water, then soaked them for a couple days in water pH’d to 6.0. You don’t want these things throwing the pH of the hempy reservoir off, that is if the intention is to water less frequently like every other day.

Also, I realize that officially “hempy” is suppose to just be a hole in a bucket 2” from the bottom, however this is the most efficient way for me to drain to waste so, pumps and tubing and connectors are welcome.

Above the buckets we have 5/8” black tubing coming out the back of the cabinet for automatic watering via a small 80gph pump situated in a 12gal reservoir outside the cabinet, only for use when traveling forces plants to be unattended for more than a few days. Then there’s your standard humidifier, clip fan and nanny cam - cause I’m a perv like that… All under the glorious frugal gaze of a Bloomspect SL600. Also, the cabinet has two 6” ventilation holes on the right-hand side, with the upper one of course pulling in the fresh air constantly through the cabinet 24/7. This keeps things at a nice temp while supplementing with humidity as needed.

1628127321986.png

That brings us to today. Still lots of new growth, so I know she’s definitely sipping from the reservoir. But the lackluster lime green color tells me she's still not getting enough Nitrogen from the 7grams of MaxiBloom. I know this system works for many, but perhaps Blue Cindy is just a strain that craves more (N) than what’s being offered. We’ll see how it goes; I’ve been holding off on topping her until after I move her sister into the bucket next to her. Plus, with her rough start I figure the extra growth will help her bounce back from the imminent haircut…

Nice write up.

Cindy says feed me - some N would be tasty..:morenutes:

I still don’t think much of this Lucas/MaxiBloom regimen.
Hey there @FelipeBlu! Don't I know it!

But I'm bound and determined to see just how far this Maxibloom will carry her. If it shows no signs of improvement I may move up to watering daily sooner than intended, she definitely looks more vibrant with more frequent feeding, for obvious reasons.

I grew her myself over a year ago and got a wonderful sour blueberry smell/taste out of her. She just got better curing in the jars over the months and makes me happy, hungry and a little loopy. Tempted to grow her agin outside next summer for a grow. Best of luck with your attempt

I grew her myself over a year ago and got a wonderful sour blueberry smell/taste out of her. She just got better curing in the jars over the months and makes me happy, hungry and a little loopy. Tempted to grow her agin outside next summer for a grow. Best of luck with your attempt
Excellent!

Yeah, I chose the strain because I was looking for something sativa dominant that I could practice mainlining with. It was a toss up between Blue Cindy and Black Jack.

Excellent!

Yeah, I chose the strain because I was looking for something sativa dominant that I could practice mainlining with. It was a toss up between Blue Cindy and Black Jack.

she handled my Quadline training like a champ.

indy-grow-journal-by-ehcndgrowerg13-labsblue-cindy.jpg

Hey Rickle,

I'm in. I grow in a stealth cab and just started with hempys as well so looking forward to your grow. I'm going with manifolding instead of mainlining. My cab is 1.5' deep by 3' wide, similar to yours.

Hey Rickle,

I'm in. I grow in a stealth cab and just started with hempys as well so looking forward to your grow. I'm going with manifolding instead of mainlining. My cab is 1.5' deep by 3' wide, similar to yours.
Very nice!
To be honest though, I can't say for certain I know the difference between the two; is manifolding where you leave the first as well as the last nodes when topping, rather than just clearing everything below?

I had the same question and did a bit of reading. Here's what I came up with:

Mainlining vs manifolding vs fluxing vs quadlining
Nice details! And a big thanks for doing that research for me. :bravo:

This may be a good opportunity for me to do a comparison grow, with her younger sister moving in nextdoor shortly, I could just very well try a mainline on the oldest and manifold the youngest to take advantage of the shorter veg time. Thanks again!

Nice details! And a big thanks for doing that research for me. :bravo:

This may be a good opportunity for me to do a comparison grow, with her younger sister moving in nextdoor shortly, I could just very well try a mainline on the oldest and manifold the youngest to take advantage of the shorter veg time. Thanks again!
I like it! All in the name of science...

To be honest, I think I'd prefer to do @Asesino85's quadlining version, but I want to grow three plants side by side in my 36" wide x 18" deep cab and so they need to be deeper than they are wide. Eliminating the bottom side branching will hopefully keep the plant more narrow. That's the theory, at least.

To be honest, I think I'd prefer to do @Asesino85's quadlining version, but I want to grow three plants side by side in my 36" wide x 18" deep cab and so they need to be deeper than they are wide. Eliminating the bottom side branching will hopefully keep the plant more narrow. That's the theory, at least.
I'm with you. I'm seriously limited on "depth" grow space with my cabinet, so being able to control growth side to side rather than have it going wild front to back will be beneficial.

UPDATE: Blue Cindy got her haircut today, she was grown out to maybe the 8th or 9th node and I cut her back to the 4th node, then cleaned out everything below with the exception of the coupled fan leaves. We’ll just have to wait and see how she takes it. Bonus was being able to salvage some cuttings from all the growth that had occurred over the past week.

Here’s the last time we saw her: 4AUG2021
1628546992345.png

Here she was last night, just 4 days later: 8AUG2021
1628547009279.png

And this is today, start of mainlining: 9AUG2021
1628547073436.png

For tie downs, I’m just using 12 gauge wire I have sitting around; about 12” long pieces bent in a “U” shape work well.

I gotta say, I’m very much enjoying the hempy method so far, my only issues are reluctantly those of my own doing. If I continue using these buckets, I may drill another hole slightly higher to increase the reservoir size. And unfortunately, the irrigation fittings I’m using in the drainage holes are getting blocked by the smaller sized clay pebbles; so I’ll be installing some mesh on those here shortly.

As for the Lucas/K.I.S.S MaxiBloom nutrient regiment, everything seems to be going surprisingly well. That is, after I upped the strength of the nutrient feed a bit. She was getting around 800-900 ppm with each watering; I would start with a gallon of tap water (300-400ppm) and add 7grams of dry MaxiBloom and ¼ tsp of Epsom salt. That would give me a starting solution that measures in at 2200 ppm (with .5 EC conversion). I then dilute it down with RO water until I get to the desired ppm range. As soon as I started mixing it a bit stronger/diluting less (1000-1100ppm), she began getting that nice darker green color again. Fearful of nute burn, I think I was just being too cautious and slow, stepping her up in nutrient strength. Only time will tell though if the method will continue to meet all her nutrient needs.

UPDATE: Lots of change over the last 9 days, hempy really does do wonders for veg growth. I'm going to need to slow her down, or else I may not get a chance to manifold her sister thoroughly enough, before the flip to 12/12. Anyway, she got her second topping just 4 days ago, and here she is today. Very accepting of the bondage... Really putting on the girth.
20210818_133006.jpg

20210818_133016.jpg

20210818_133012.jpg

I'll probably wait at least another day, once the the new growth has had a chance to flatten out, before removing those 4 large fan leaves.

Still loving the hempy method! I'm a little concerned with the pH my reservoir is sitting at (6.5-6.7), but she doesn't appear to be showing any nutrient issues. Another benefit of hempy though, I can always do a quick plug, fill and dump with pH adjusted water to - sort of - wipe the slate clean if any issues do come up.

As for the Lucas/K.I.S.S MaxiBloom nutrient regiment, I honestly still have no complaints. Combined with hempy, it really is a breeze. I simply mixed up a 5 gal batch (7grams of dry MaxiBloom + ¼ tsp of Epsom salt per gallon) of full strength solution, then I take out about 4 cups at a time for each of my plants, whenever I choose to water them. This allows me to dilute and pH the solution for each serving, according to each of the plants needs at any given time. I don't bubble the solution or anything, just a vigorous stir before I skim off the few cups. This Blue Cindy is at around 900-1000ppm of nutrient solution per watering, but the plan is to slowly keep pumping the ppm's up until she shows her limit with slight tip burn.

Stay tuned...

Looking good. :thumb:

In his quadling thread, @Asesino85 recommends keeping between a 10 and 20 degree angle to the branches rather than dead straight across.

Helps with keeping the nutrients flowing and helps prevent the stem from splitting later on.

Also, leaving a bit of a stub when topping helps to keep the joint from splitting.

Looking good. :thumb:

In his quadling thread, @Asesino85 recommends keeping between a 10 and 20 degree angle to the branches rather than dead straight across.

Helps with keeping the nutrients flowing and helps prevent the stem from splitting later on.

Also, leaving a bit of a stub when topping helps to keep the joint from splitting.
That's definitely good to know, thanks!

That should coincidentally help with my space issue a bit than, I'm already at the edge of my bucket.

Back
Top Bottom