3 Purps 1 Mystery DWC/Soil

bobulak

Hi everyone. Figured it was time to try 1 of these. Kind of new to all this but I'm having loads of fun

Ill post more details later.....

Soil Specs:
The mystery plant is 37 days old and the Purps plant is 30 days old. Under 18 - 6 light schedule for 2 weeks.

Soil - Pro mix HP
Nutrients - local, Wild Thing 3 part A, B and M
Soil Lights = 600w MH for veg, 600w HPS for flower
Not air cooled yet but very soon. 20 inch floor fan for circulation
Temp = between 24C and 26C
RH of Room/cab = between 45 and 55
PH soil = usually 6.2
No pests
Watering soil every 4 days or so (Feed, water,water, Feed)
Feeding started 3 weeks ago

DWC Specs:

Temp = between 23C and 26C
RH of Room/cab = between 35 and 50
Not really sure if the DWC plants are in veg but are on 18 - 6 lights now for 2 days. 24/7 before that.
Dwc plants are 20 days old
Bucket Size - 5 gallon
Medium - Rockwool and Hydrotron.
lights - 23w x 4 daylight 6500k cfl's (each plant)
Nutrients - local, Wild Thing 3 part A, B and M
Strain(s) - Purps
# of Plants: 2 (Feminized)
18w Air pump hooks up to airstones and halo dripper
Feeding just started. 1/2 strength
Change water once a week

Hi Bobulak, welcome to 420!
Nice clean set-up, Im subbed in on this! Like the soil ones, very healthy. Are they "Da Purps"?:thumb:

Also mate you can add the pictures straight to your journal without the links. When your making a new post its the square icon with the mountain picture in it. Click on that an all the photos in your gallery are there. Just click on the ones you want and it puts them on.

Thx JBC420. I like the soil ones too. They seem to be flourishing. Yes they are called The Purps :cheesygrinsmiley: I got them from a nice little place in Canada. Id post the link here but I don't know if that's allowed.

I was having problems posting the image like you said but the webmaster sorted that out for me so Ill post updated pics here soon. I also have a couple Snowball and NL/Blueberry seeds preparing to germinate too. Can't wait to see those.

Journal Update:

Tested ph in both buckets (5.8 and 5.9). Let the halos run for about 15 minutes. They seem to respond well when I do that. Both soil plants are doing great :circle-of-love:
There are some large leaves shading low growth quite a bit on the Purps soil plant. Don't know if I should trim those back or not but right now if it ain't broke, i'm not fixing it :smokin:. More updates and pics to come

I also switched the light schedule for the plants from 18 -6 to 15 -9. The purps soil plant would droop severly at hr 15 of the light cycle so I made the change. She likes it. Hope this doesn't force them into flower to soon.

Hello 253chiefin and thanks for dropping by. Can't pm or message you back due to site restrictions :bravo: but I'm always open to advice and new ideas. I change the water in the buckets every 7 days. I'll set the ph to 5.5 and by the end of the week it is usually @ 6.1 - 6.3. The ph sometimes spikes right after water change. I'll set it to 5.5 and the next day i'll test and it'll be at 6.0 or 6.1. If that happens I bring it down to about 5.7. After I do that everything is ok for the week.

Thanks again :hookah:

Journal Update:

Tested ph in dwc. The readings were 5.8 and 5.9. Water temp is 22 C in both buckets. The plants look good but I would have expected a little more growth by now however; over the last few days they have been growing very well so we will see. I'm thinking of moving them into the tent under the 600w MH with the two soils. I want to see if this will stimulate growth. Anybody think this is a bad Idea? The roots are starting to turn slightly brown as well. Is this normal?

Watered and fed both soil plants today. Ph'd water to 6.2. Both soils are starting to grow rapidly and looking very healthy imo.

Here are some updated pics:

DWC plant 1

Feb_22_2012_005.jpg

DWC Plant 2:

Feb_22_2012_004.jpg

Roots plant 1

Feb_22_2012_007.jpg

Roots plant 2

Feb_22_2012_006.jpg

Mystery soil:

Feb_22_2012_001.jpg

Purps Soil:

Feb_22_2012_002.jpg

:yahoo:

I have a question. Would it be ok to take 1 clone from each of the soil plants?

Mystery Plant = 12 inches
Purps = 10 inches

:thanks:

Journal Update

It its truly amazing that a plant can grow so much in 24 hrs! Fed the soils yesterday and this morning they both look like they have grown an inch or so. So sweet. Both dwc are really starting to grow now and the stalks are starting to thicken up too

I'll only comment on the dwc since I know diddly about soil.

You really need to have a TDS meter and take daily PPM, water temp, PH readings.

I saw you mention 22c water temp earlier. While that temp is within normal acceptable ranges, I would try to aim for 68f or lower (20c). It's at 68f that bad things are able to grow in the water. So being below that is key to preventing root rot (pythium).

I personally use the HM Digital brand TDS-3 hand held. It has temp and ppm on a .5 scale. And it's easy to calibrate. You'll want to pick up a small bottle of 1000ppm calibration solution and test it about every 60-90 days. More often if you wish (monthly).

Early on in my dwc adventures I had root rot, and it was totally from water temps too high. One way you can reduce temps is to place each 5 gal bucket into a bath of cooler water. I used a large but shallow tub and put plastic 1/2 gal ice jugs into the shallow tub twice a day or so. This will get those temps down. At this early stage you could put ice jugs directly into the 5 gal buckets. But once the roots reach down to the water you dont want them to touch the ice. They'll freeze and break off.

Another thing I suggest to have on hand in the house just in case you have root issues is Hydrogen Peroxide (H202). A nice big bottle of it. If you do have root rot issues, you can change out the tub and give them some added H2O2 which will kill the pythium and dissolve into added oxygen in the res in a couple days. For really bad root rot issues, you would make a really strong mix of water and H202 (like maybe 300ml per 5 gal) and let the roots soak in that for 6 hours. Then clean out the tub and add back nutes along with something like Hygrozyme. This will kill off the root rot and the hygrozyme will basically turn a lot of the residual bad shit into plant edible. I use hygrozyme with every feeding.

You may also want to read up on Tulips DWC tutorial. It's a pretty decent guide in understanding dwc.

Good luck on your grow!

IMO yes they are plenty old enough to take clones from...I took clones from my seeds at 21 days.

Thank you for your response IGrowGrass. I was hoping someone with the knowledge I need would answer :thumb:

I picked up the cloning powder today and will be taking 1 cutting from each plant. Ill post pics of those too

:thanks::thanks:

I'll only comment on the dwc since I know diddly about soil.

You really need to have a TDS meter and take daily PPM, water temp, PH readings.

I saw you mention 22c water temp earlier. While that temp is within normal acceptable ranges, I would try to aim for 68f or lower (20c). It's at 68f that bad things are able to grow in the water. So being below that is key to preventing root rot (pythium).

I personally use the HM Digital brand TDS-3 hand held. It has temp and ppm on a .5 scale. And it's easy to calibrate. You'll want to pick up a small bottle of 1000ppm calibration solution and test it about every 60-90 days. More often if you wish (monthly).

Early on in my dwc adventures I had root rot, and it was totally from water temps too high. One way you can reduce temps is to place each 5 gal bucket into a bath of cooler water. I used a large but shallow tub and put plastic 1/2 gal ice jugs into the shallow tub twice a day or so. This will get those temps down. At this early stage you could put ice jugs directly into the 5 gal buckets. But once the roots reach down to the water you dont want them to touch the ice. They'll freeze and break off.

Another thing I suggest to have on hand in the house just in case you have root issues is Hydrogen Peroxide (H202). A nice big bottle of it. If you do have root rot issues, you can change out the tub and give them some added H2O2 which will kill the pythium and dissolve into added oxygen in the res in a couple days. For really bad root rot issues, you would make a really strong mix of water and H202 (like maybe 300ml per 5 gal) and let the roots soak in that for 6 hours. Then clean out the tub and add back nutes along with something like Hygrozyme. This will kill off the root rot and the hygrozyme will basically turn a lot of the residual bad shit into plant edible. I use hygrozyme with every feeding.

You may also want to read up on Tulips DWC tutorial. It's a pretty decent guide in understanding dwc.

Good luck on your grow!

Thanks Bassman59. I had no clue about the hydrogen peroxide and Ill be reading that guide asap. TDS is coming friday and I like the idea about cooling the buckets in a shallow tub. Ill be doing that tonite for sure. And thanks for the tip about the hygrozyme. Ill pick that up asap and start adding it to my nutes.

:thanks::thanks:

Things looking really healthy and happy on the soil side mate!:goodjob:

Yup they look great thanks :peacetwo:

Journal Update :morenutes:

Took 1 clipping from each soil plant today. Dipped them in cloning powder then placed them in my dome in rockwool that had been soaked in ph'd water (6.0). Under two 23w, 6500k cfl's

Feb_23_2012.jpg

Now that I've become more responsible with the ph of the buckets, there aren't nearly as many peaks and valleys any more. Both measured 5.9 and I havn't had to mess with the ph since i changed the water on the 18th. I'll be picking up a tds meter shortly and I'm going try to keep my buckets cooler by letting both buckets sit in a reservoir of cool water. Temp was at 21 C today but id like to try to keep it 18 or 19 C

Both soil plants are growing very fast now. I'm going to let them go for another week or two then ill switch them over to 12-12 hps and thats when my tent becomes my permanent flower room. Im going to use my two closets for vegging my plants and clones.

:yahoo:

After cutting my clones yesterday I was worried. They drooped pretty bad however; both are looking good this morning. Standing straight up with leaves spread out. Took of dome for 5 mins for fresh air and misted the clones. Will do this everyday.

My damn timer must have jammed because it was 1/2 hr late turning on. I'll reset the time and hope for the best

My damn timer must have jammed because it was 1/2 hr late turning on. I'll reset the time and hope for the best

If you're using one of those power strips with digital timers, check and see if it's set to "rnd" which means "random". This is an option on some and allows for the timer to randomize on/off time but a certain amount (usually 15-30 min window) within your set times.

If you're using one of those power strips with digital timers, check and see if it's set to "rnd" which means "random". This is an option on some and allows for the timer to randomize on/off time but a certain amount (usually 15-30 min window) within your set times.

Hey Bass thanks for lookin in. No Ive got a dual outlet timer that I got from walmart. Ive reset the time when I got home from work today and Im hopping it still works cuz Im broke til payday =[

Thanks for the help tho :thumb:

Both clones are fully recovered. They look great. Both are in real good shape. Both dwc's read 6.0 today. Im not going to bother adjusting the ph because it's water change tomorrow. Both soils are looking awesome. I'm thinking about pulling the purps (soil) feminized and using it as my moma plant. Don't know yet though. Updated pics later

I've changed the water in both dwc's. Set to 5.7 each. Both soil plants are in good shape. Start flower tomorrow i think. Clones looking awesome but they dont seem to like the light as much as I thought they would.

Updated pics:

Mystery Plant:

Feb_25_2012_001.jpg

Purps Soil:

Feb_25_2012_002.jpg

DWC 1:

Feb_25_2012_005.jpg

DWC 2:

Feb_25_2012_004.jpg

Clones:

Feb_25_2012_003.jpg

Back