36Gr0w's First Journal - Hi-Brix - LOS - Indoor & Out!

You mean they charged you >$100 shipping when you specified free??

The goal for my basic soil mix. 1/3 sphagnum peat moss, 1/3 perlite/lava rocks, 1/3 malibu compost bu's blend.

To this I will add 1 cup kelp meal, 1 cup neem/karanja meal, 1/3 cup gypsum powder, 1/3 cup oyster shell powder, 1/3 cup crustacean meal, and 2 cups glacial rock dust per cubic foot. Thinking about more rock dust but not sure.

Questions, concerns, experience, input, and suggestions encouraged.

Edit...I would love to substitute the perlite for pumice, but I have to find some.

Edit...I would love to substitute the perlite for pumice, but I have to find some.

Why do you prefer perlite over pumice?
I was thinking of getting some pumice for our garden. Seems like it will work like perlite, maybe add some minerals, and is a bunch cheaper. Around here one cubic yard of small pumice is $18.

Yep Circuit, that's why I'd prefer pumice as well.

Ziggs, I have one of docs kit, hopefully planting something into it today or soon. I'm just the kinda guy who wants to try things his own way, learn from my failures and successes, and figure out WHY what I tried worked or didn't. I enjoy the idea of making my own soil, and I like the exercise I get from hauling the bags and pots and stuff around. I also have a few friends and family who want me to make them soil. I'm trying to make that be as close to water-only for them as I can, while still having success.

Question about the EWC people are using in docs kit. What brand are you using and why? Has anyone tried using different brands to try to see a difference when used in the kit? Does anyone use vermicompost instead? Would this throw ratios off?

I'm just wondering if using higher quality castings would make a noticeable difference.

Question about the EWC people are using in docs kit. What brand are you using and why? Has anyone tried using different brands to try to see a difference when used in the kit? Does anyone use vermicompost instead? Would this throw ratios off?

I'm just wondering if using higher quality castings would make a noticeable difference.

Wiggly Worm I think..you want K to be 0
Also if you cant get WW, make sure theyre pure castings, like WW is...and not a blend or something.

I've gone on the 'bay and bought the cheapest EWC I could get a couple times. Once it was good stuff - the other time it wasn't.

So now I just buy WW, cause I know what's in it. If it costs a little more, that's an insignificant cost. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom