36Gr0w's First Journal - Hi-Brix - LOS - Indoor & Out!

I know it has no K and no GMO, and it's of consistent high quality, but that's about all. You can probably find equal quality, but it might take some effort.

Another alternative is to make your own ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

I know it has no K and no GMO, and it's of consistent high quality, but that's about all. You can probably find equal quality, but it might take some effort.

Another alternative is to make your own ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

Another idea for me to try...add earthworms to the big 10gal+ softees during the grow:thumb:

Guys wiggleworm is pretty crappy as far as worm castings goes. I'm guessing 36 has already read about that a bit. Here is the skinny:

If you haven't read this thoroughly, please do, and then you can see where I'm coming from to start.
read this before buying EWC !!!!!! - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

And here is a post that a Jerry11165 made on the subject that I think is really good:
"NO! They are not bad; they are GREAT. Are there better? Yes.

All worm castings are fantastic and a very necessary part of what we do. Some worms are fed well, and some are mass produced with inferior food stock. From what I understand, the Wiggle Worm brand sources their castings from wherever they can source them, so you're just not sure. They are absolutely not "bad". They are good - it's just that others are better.

I'd say for now if that's what you can get, then buy them and use them. This will give you a little more time to find Da Kind vermicompost, which you'll be using for slurries, teas and top dressings anyhow.

If you happen to live in the Northeast or even just the east, you'll be able to find Worm Power vermicompost. Look on Craigslist too."

Making your own is the way to go. I've had a worm bin for a few years now, and I'm just starting to learn how to really optimize it.

Do you want castings from some hillbilly who jumped into this get rich quick scheme?
14 Day Worm Castings

"We literally produce these from 15 pounds of bedding material and in just two weeks end up with 15 pounds of a granular worm castings."

...something to consider is all.

This is what I used for my soil:
Roots Organics Big Worm pure and premium worm castings is a distinctive natural soil amendment. Our worms are carefully tended and fed an unparalleled blend of organic compost, rock dust and kelp. No fillers, no chemicals and no tricks. Just pure and exceptional worm castings. Add Roots Organics Big Worm pure and premium worm castings to any soil as an amendment and conditioner.
It's about $45 a 30 lb. bag.

Copied from another forum.

For 1 gallon of tea this is the recipe BlueJay, Chunk, me and probably several others...

1 oz. malted barley grain and grind that to a powder with a cheap coffee bean grinder.
Add this to 1 gallon of water and to push the deal forward you could (should) add 1/4 cup aloe vera juice
1 oz. of BioAg Ful-Power (pure fulvic acid)

the measurements for the FulPower have also been noted at the 10ml per gal mark a few times. I use 1oz. per gal once every 10 days as per coots advice.

This is what I used for my soil:
Roots Organics Big Worm pure and premium worm castings is a distinctive natural soil amendment. Our worms are carefully tended and fed an unparalleled blend of organic compost, rock dust and kelp. No fillers, no chemicals and no tricks. Just pure and exceptional worm castings. Add Roots Organics Big Worm pure and premium worm castings to any soil as an amendment and conditioner.
It's about $45 a 30 lb. bag.

I bought these once. I couldn't see any visible life (like cocoons, worms, soil mites, etc) like you see in homemade VC, but it does seems like they use a much better process than WW to make these castings. Stuff ain't cheap either. Try this , this summer: put a pile of leaves in your yard, preferably on top of an area in your garden where you often see worms come up when it rains. Leave pile all summer, then when fall comes, scoop up leaf pile (which should be full of worms) and put it into a pot inside your house. You now have a working worm farm indoors for free! Every couple months screen and harvest castings, and put worms into a new pot with new (finished) compost. Might wanna make enough compost in the summer to get your worm bins through the winter.

There's a solid plan to start worm farming for free. There are a few other considerations, but this will get you started easily for under a penny. :)

For some reason I find growing worms more difficult than growing MJ. :thedoubletake:
I had an aunt and uncle that did it commercially. There's more to it than throwing worms and compost together. It can be done, but I'm afraid that $30/bag will start sounding pretty good to you after a year or so.
:Namaste:

Yep - same here. Plenty of worms in the garden. Sometimes we "transplant" them to specific areas.
Maybe they make a lot more poop than I realize. I buy castings for $26 for 1.1 cu-ft (about 38 lbs.). They may not be the world best worm castings but they work great. I think for me collecting that much would be like working for $0.25 / hr.

For some reason I find growing worms more difficult than growing MJ. :thedoubletake:
I had an aunt and uncle that did it commercially. There's more to it than throwing worms and compost together. It can be done, but I'm afraid that $30/bag will start sounding pretty good to you after a year or so.

I completely disagree with this, from my personal experience.

Im kinda with PITA though. I had a nice worm bed for almost 2 years in 75-77. We used them for fishing and tossed all the castings in my mom's veg garden, but my hobby is growing and managing a compost pile is more work than I'm interested in right now, much less a living worm bed. I'd absolutely love to be fully self-sufficient in such things and to do it right someday in the future isn't only a possibility it's likely.

Working for .25/hr is so 1938. I wouldn't do it. Just saying. :peace::cool:

I have a job, my gardens are my hobby. I don't consider working on them in terms of making money, or how something would translate to an hourly wage.

Besides, my chickens love following me around getting the smaller worms and grubs, my buddies love having a constant supply of worms for fishing, and it helps my garden and saves me money. An actual worm bin will be done this week, looking at good diy ideas that take up a small footprint. I get free compost from my chickens, who are on a free range organic diet (as much as possible lol).

I see absolutely no reason not to have a worm bin at least in a smart pot. Very, very little work for potentially great rewards. The quality you get out of it totally depends on what you put in. Plus, when I make my teas or whatever, the extras can be fed to the worms, instead of pouring it down the drain.

I realize this isn't for everyone, some don't have the time or energy, and I understand that. Personally, I'm a single 30 year old, I enjoy the physicality of this hobby as much as the peace and relaxation.

To each our own; I love hearing different opinions!

You've convinced me to give it another try.
This is all about fun for me as well. I don't consider it work. If I did, I'd probably find something else to do. It wasn't the amount of effort that turned me off. It was the results. But, if at first you don't succeed, blah blah blah... :;):

Thanks! :thumb:

I can't understand how maintaining a small worm bin can be thought of as work. Feed them mash once a week geared to the needs of your grow and harvest spectacular additives for your garden. It's so easy I have to remind myself that they're around and need fed. They thrive on neglect.

A commercial enterprise is a different matter altogether. The benefits of working for yourself go way beyond the hope of a big paycheck.

I received 5 new plants today, 4 strains. Thanks Dutty! 2x Lemon Kush, CBD White Widow, Super Lemon Haze, and Critical Mass. One Lemon Kush and one yet undecided will be transplanted into 7 gal smart pots in docs hi brix kit soil. I'll give them probably two weeks and start flowering them then. I'll take clones from the other three and the undetermined one, as well as from my purple.

Dutty also gave me some parts for a diy cloner I'll be making in the next few days, hell of a guy.

Blueberry plants went in the ground yesterday, I made two nice mounds and mulched on top. The car and grass had frost but the plants were just fine.

Should be getting 5 more strains this week, they are ready to come out of my friends cloner. Lots of variety soon, going to pass some around.

Back
Top Bottom