420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Justin Goody

Hey @Justin Goody, thanks for the call, but somehow I missed that memo and have ended up on page 5! All caught up now though and its looking good! I am glad to see another get on board with @GeoFlora Nutrients ... it is good stuff!
Good to have you, as always.

I think a lot of people didn’t get notified of the tag, they just stumbled upon this grow the old fashioned way ;)

Yes I’m trying to branch out a bit and try new nutes and lights, especially sponsors.
GF looks simple enough and effective, though I appreciate any tips as a total newbie to this line.
As always I’m interested in increasing taste/potency much more than yield, any day. These last 2 (my autos) from @Weed Seeds Express were fortunately strong finishers in both those categories.

I did what you suggested and baked my FFOF before planting in my other grow, that’s another product I’m trying for the first time, and am liking it a lot so far.

Thanks for stopping by!

Good to have you, as always.

I think a lot of people didn’t get notified of the tag, they just stumbled upon this grow the old fashioned way ;)

Yes I’m trying to branch out a bit and try new nutes and lights, especially sponsors.
GF looks simple enough and effective, though I appreciate any tips as a total newbie to this line.
As always I’m interested in increasing taste/potency much more than yield, any day. These last 2 (my autos) from @Weed Seeds Express were fortunately strong finishers in both those categories.

I did what you suggested and baked my FFOF before planting in my other grow, that’s another product I’m trying for the first time, and am liking it a lot so far.

Thanks for stopping by!
Just a ? What do you mean by baked the ffof

Just a ? What do you mean by baked the ffof
Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil.
I put it in the oven and baked it, to sterilize it and make sure no harmful organisms hitched a ride into my garden.

What about the good organisms?
I think @Emilya would be better at explaining this, hopefully she is around ;)

Until then, this is a pretty good explanation-
Heat treatments raise the temperature of the soil through steam or direct, dry heat to a threshold where the harmful organisms, fungal spores, weed seeds, etc. are unable to survive, and die. Heat treatment is often called sterilization, but this is a misnomer as the soil isn’t completely sterile at the temperatures induced.

It does kill weeds and pests depending upon the internal temperature reached and the length of time the threshold is maintained. Most instructions recommend at least 30 minutes at the given temperature to kill specific organisms (see Table 1) in moist soil or potting mix.

Research has shown that even sterilization significantly reduces the population of beneficial soil bacteria, it does not eradicate them completely. After sterilization, certain species such as Pseudomonas and Bacillus, quickly recolonize the soil and their populations reach high levels within a short amount of time. This quick recolonization overrides the initial reduction in populations through sterilization.

Table 1. Target Temperatures for Soil Sterilization of Moist Soil
Target TempOrganisms Killed when Temp Sustained for 30-minutes
120℉water molds (oomycetes)
145℉most plant pathogenic fungi, bacteria, and viruses, worms, slugs, centipedes
160℉plant pathogenic bacteria, soil insects
180℉weed seeds
212℉heat resistant plant viruses and weed seeds

She’s looking good in her cup and getting bigger, can’t ask for more than that. Her friend is still stuck on pause....
92756D6F-E26D-445E-834C-BB5694B69EEC.jpeg

@Justin Goody pretty much nailed it... you really have to be trying hard to kill all of the microbes and the fungi, but even so I would rather kill them all than have any bug larvae left alive. Even considering my soil as lifeless as moon dust after baking for an hour at 250° is not a problem. One application of a microbial inoculation, a good compost tea or even one application of @GeoFlora Nutrients or their soil revitalizer, and boom and presto even... the microbes start reproducing and doubling in population about every 20 minutes. Add some @DYNOMYCO as you uppot into it or build your first cup, and boom and presto again, here comes the fungi.

@Justin Goody pretty much nailed it... you really have to be trying hard to kill all of the microbes and the fungi, but even so I would rather kill them all than have any bug larvae left alive. Even considering my soil as lifeless as moon dust after baking for an hour at 250° is not a problem. One application of a microbial inoculation, a good compost tea or even one application of @GeoFlora Nutrients or their soil revitalizer, and boom and presto even... the microbes start reproducing and doubling in population about every 20 minutes. Add some @DYNOMYCO as you uppot into it or build your first cup, and boom and presto again, here comes the fungi.
What about the product called 'Recharge' - have you tried that? I've seen lots of positive talk about Recharge but it and most other similar products are not available in NZ unfortunately. I had wondered in the past about trying to import some (our Customs here often seize such products). Geoflora and Dynomyco also sound great, but similarly are not available over the counter in NZ.

What about the product called 'Recharge' - have you tried that? I've seen lots of positive talk about Recharge but it and most other similar products are not available in NZ unfortunately. I had wondered in the past about trying to import some (our Customs here often seize such products). Geoflora and Dynomyco also sound great, but similarly are not available over the counter in NZ.
yes indeed, I ran an organic supersoil grow simply using recharge and no AACT. That was the best organic grow I had had to date, until I found Geoflora. Recharge is good stuff and just what is needed to get soil going again.

float them in 80% tap water, 20% H2o2 (3% strength) for 24-30 hours or so Then I skip the paper towel method and put the seed straight into ProMix potting mix about 5/8” deep.
Ill double down on that method. Much better success rate for me that way.

I think @Emilya would be better at explaining this, hopefully she is around ;)

Until then, this is a pretty good explanation-
Heat treatments raise the temperature of the soil through steam or direct, dry heat to a threshold where the harmful organisms, fungal spores, weed seeds, etc. are unable to survive, and die. Heat treatment is often called sterilization, but this is a misnomer as the soil isn’t completely sterile at the temperatures induced.

It does kill weeds and pests depending upon the internal temperature reached and the length of time the threshold is maintained. Most instructions recommend at least 30 minutes at the given temperature to kill specific organisms (see Table 1) in moist soil or potting mix.

Research has shown that even sterilization significantly reduces the population of beneficial soil bacteria, it does not eradicate them completely. After sterilization, certain species such as Pseudomonas and Bacillus, quickly recolonize the soil and their populations reach high levels within a short amount of time. This quick recolonization overrides the initial reduction in populations through sterilization.

Table 1. Target Temperatures for Soil Sterilization of Moist Soil
Target TempOrganisms Killed when Temp Sustained for 30-minutes
120℉water molds (oomycetes)
145℉most plant pathogenic fungi, bacteria, and viruses, worms, slugs, centipedes
160℉plant pathogenic bacteria, soil insects
180℉weed seeds
212℉heat resistant plant viruses and weed seeds
Ok now I have a grasp then you can do things to help the good guys repopulate

Ok now I understand will probably try that next grow. The wife will be shaking her head and give me a WTF

Thanks to everyone for their input on soil, it’s been great. I’m admittedly lazy and could easily stop buying so much new soil for my indoor grows. Now I have no excuses. As for outdoor-
I will reuse last year’s outdoor soil which is a mix of the last 3 years or so and has lots of worms. I’ll add the Earth Alive Soil Activator and some mosquito bits before I get going, but otherwise it’s not really bad (I do want to make sure and avoid fungus this year) and it's easy cause it's already here in pots ;) .
I’ll probably end up running one or more of these GSC photos (or maybe autos) outdoors cause I like the @Weed Seeds Express genetics. I think it will love the WA summer sun.

As for this girl- live updates aren’t always super exciting but she’s looking good!
22E07FF3-9930-4C57-B808-0EA6C4E503F6.jpeg

For those wondering, she’s at 24,000 Lux and currently 18/6, same as the autoflowers.
I used to do 19/5 but seeing the autos start to sag early every evening, I knew I could cut 1 hour off at least.
Good luck with this one!! :love:

dont give up on that under producing seed, let that ragged little plant grow
I had some sour diesel last grow that pure looked like trash, gangling weird shaped
just had no visual appeal, but
it had a scent that would knock you down and it didn't produce much in
weight of bud, the bud it did make though is EXCELLENT
I can normally smoke a gram rolled easy, this stuff puts me down
damn shame it didn't make more

Hey Justin, your stunted baby kinda looks like the soil is hot.. what’s in that cup right now? Maybe it’s just sensitive to it cause the other gsc looks great.

Also, do we have a promo code for @GeoFlora Nutrients ? I would love to give them a try but I don’t think I can pay full price

Hey Justin, your stunted baby kinda looks like the soil is hot.. what’s in that cup right now? Maybe it’s just sensitive to it cause the other gsc looks great.

Also, do we have a promo code for @GeoFlora Nutrients ? I would love to give them a try but I don’t think I can pay full price
It’s in ProMix (same way I always do), I think it’s just a fluke seed. 3 of 4 new seeds look fine, this one just never got going right.

As far as the @GeoFlora Nutrients discount code, hopefully they can show up and help out with that.

@Atreum Lighting currently has a 10% off deal on the Hydra 1000 though.

I hear that. I’m running Wedding Cake again just for that reason. Another great offspring of the GSC family.
I’m going to grow this one a lot like an auto, it’s should be interesting. I also haven’t done a photo (besides outdoor) in almost a year so I have to make sure my brain is working and I’m not leaving the tent open etc.
Great to have you here Chef!
mmm i loved my weedding cake. doing wedding gelato this time

Because of the site regulations we can't share promo codes that we may have received, outside of our own threads. I suggest that you use the advanced search options and see if I might have placed a code in my threads somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom