600W LED vs. 600W HPS by Be Irie

Re: GrowLEDHydro's 600W LED vs. 600W HPS by Be Irie

Thanks to the all of you for the words and watching... I hope everyone is having a great Holiday... Peace,love,happiness, and good health to all..
how about in person witch has more bag appeal?

Me personally, for looks alone..... 3rd D- HPS Chernobyl- HPS SnoCap-LED and the Satori-LED....

Had two friends over the other night and we did a little blind test with the snocap ( meant to grab the two third D's). They checked the two jars over smell and looks, then we proceeded to to try them out....

All three of us picked the LED bag for all around goodness... it took all the categories from the HPS... it was still a bit green though.. Has a bit more time to cure an get even better..

I don't tell my peeps which is which either.. One friend told me if he knew which one was HPS he might have been biased??? Tard!!! not sure why, but is good to know.. All tests will be done blind... I will get better detailed smoke reports too.

The LED tent did have more purples. It was much easier to keep the plants cooler in the LED tent. It was also tougher to get the temps up when it was cold... I think the main reason for the low yields was the temps that I kept. After the great mite rebellion in the summer of '10 i was trying to keep temps way low to control the little fuckers. Not only did the mites not like it, but the ladies were not to happy either. The HPS were so tall and close to the light that it was a bitch to keep the canopy a decent temp, so they didn't get the coloring that the LED tent did.. Both Chernobyl's and the snocaps have always had the late purpling in flower..

I did notice on the snocap that it was like trimming a felty plant.. The trichs are pretty thick, almost like a furry coat. That was the LED one. The HPS was normal.. It is covered, just not the same consistency of the LED plant.. The Snocap,Chernobyl, and the satori LED plants took a day longer to dry then the HPS counterparts... Little things I am trying to figure out why?

I had to pull a cheese haze out of the LED tent because it was not happy... Two days after being put under the HPS in the flower room, she shot out white hairs and new growth and took off.. She is healthy and happy and almost ready to come down. I had to pull a plant from it in the beginning too, just don't remember which one it was.. I had a love cheese that stayed in the LED tent from the beginning to the end. So I had five plants that were in the LED tent the whole time. The HPS tent could only hold four plants when they got bigger. I had two extra (6) in there in the beginning but had to remove two because of coverage issues... I think I could have grown 6 of the LED sized plants in the LED tent for the full grow...

If I could have changed anything about this grow, I would have vegged the HPS for a week or two less and would have vegged the LED plants another two weeks or so.... The HPS grew almost twice as fast.

all good stuff to know.
br

Thanks guys for the kind words... I hope everyone's Christmas was enjoyed and that you all have a safe and happy new year...
Well, lets start off with the bad news.... I lost the Satori LED jars ( both of them) to mold. They held on to their moisture like no other. The HPS nugs are totally dry( kinda freaking me out). I went back and am now keeping an eye on the other LED jars. I am not having that problem with the HPS jars, they are actually totally dry and setting up...
I took some of the 3 rd Dimension to a patients house for a little test. Him and his wife ( also card holder)..
Bag appeal they both picked the HPS.. The smoke test was a bit harder decision for them. They liked both but given a choice to pick one only they picked the HPS bag. They only picked it because they had to pick one. They said the LED side was a little bit greener ( see above paragraph). So they seem to be about the same as far as the smokability. The HPS got the nod, but I may have to see what happens in a week or so when the LED is totally cured... OK, that's it for now, time to get back up to the mountains to fight all the tourists/crowds on the hill......
We win some and we lose some..........:smokin:

Well, I have been taking around the SnoCap and the Chernobyl and doing some taste tests with my patients. So far five people have done it and there will be more to come.. I want to try it with some newbie smokers.. I was surprised at the results.. I thought it would be closer.. Out of five people, they all picked the LED bud for taste, and all but one picked the LED for smell,looks and feel. The LE bags just seemed to have a more pleasant smell, a little bit stronger then the HPS, and they tasted just like them smelled.. All the peeps were also a bit surprised by the results.. They were handed two bags labelled A or B, they had no idea which was which... Kinda interesting.... I so wish I didn't lose the satori, she was looking really sweet..

BE,

If it's any consolation, I lost 8 satori clones, and the mom is taking forever to recoup, and its just...been rough! Maybe just a bit sensitive? I don't know for sure.

Interesting results bro! Thanks for sharing!

-Go

Thank Go... I lost her to mold though, in the curing..... One thing that baffled me was that the LED nugs took 2 days longer hanging and then almost a week longer to dry in cure... I am not sure why. They just wanted to stay moist in the jar... My love Cheese that was grown under the LED did the same thing... It was my fault, they caught me snoozing....
I love the Satori strain... Mine were never real picky and they were pretty easy cloners....

Well, I have been taking around the SnoCap and the Chernobyl and doing some taste tests with my patients. So far five people have done it and there will be more to come.. I want to try it with some newbie smokers.. I was surprised at the results.. I thought it would be closer.. Out of five people, they all picked the LED bud for taste, and all but one picked the LED for smell,looks and feel. The LE bags just seemed to have a more pleasant smell, a little bit stronger then the HPS, and they tasted just like them smelled.. All the peeps were also a bit surprised by the results.. They were handed two bags labelled A or B, they had no idea which was which... Kinda interesting.... I so wish I didn't lose the satori, she was looking really sweet..

That's what I've observed also with my LED and HID grown bud.

The aroma and taste is the same, but the LED buds have more of it. They also seem a bit more potent, although I haven't done enough blind testing to be more sure of that.

I've only grown LED bud, but my pal and I are planning a taste test of SAGE, since we both have moms from the same grandmom, and he grows HID ;)

Will be interesting to see what he thinks of it.

No offense but ins't it kind of obvious the LED buds were denser than the HPS and thus more moisture to dry out?

This is just from looking at the pictures of the leafy/fluffier hps buds.

If they are the same density than Im thinking the LED buds are holding more oils and juicy goodness causing the higher bag appeal....

Just trying to find an answer for your drying question, :nicethread:

No offense but ins't it kind of obvious the LED buds were denser than the HPS and thus more moisture to dry out?

This is just from looking at the pictures of the leafy/fluffier hps buds.

If they are the same density than Im thinking the LED buds are holding more oils and juicy goodness causing the higher bag appeal....

Just trying to find an answer for your drying question, :nicethread:

No offense taken, because it wasn't so obvious that they were denser, because they were not that much denser if denser at all... The Satori was the only one that took that much longer.
We figured it was the oils and resins is what caused the dry time difference.. The jars that the LED Satori and Chernobyl cured in were coated in resin... I still have a few reports to get from patients, getting smoke reports and stuff from my patients is tougher then pulling their teeth...

Alright yeah i hear ya. I guess I have seen LED buds be denser in a few grows and assumed that was the case with yours:lot-o-toke: My bad, but hey I was half right.

You should get your best looking strain of the two and get them tested for THC and CBD content, if they can test turpines that would be cool as well.

Heard it wasn't too much money in Cali, idk bout CO

It is 60 bones per test here.... I would have loved to have had it tested, but food is more important to me at this point... Money is tight... There is no doubt that the LED plants had more resins, and I have been hearing rumors that LED nugs were testing higher all around then their HPS counterparts. I haven't seen any data to back it up, but with the resins on my nugs it's not hard to figure out which one took that category... From what I have heard back, they seem close in strength ( noone could say one was stronger or weaker then the other).. If I ever had to do it again, I would train hard and would rather have two 300's over the one 600....I am prepping a few plants to scrog under the 600 LED next.

I hear ya on the money, Good to hear people are doing the tests anyways... You think more visible resin would correspond to higher %? I would think so...

I was just thinking and if your patients are testing the products in a glass pipe try rolling up some fattys and any difference in oil will be more noticeable. (Rambling)

Looking forward to your scrog, ive been following mmmmmicks and hes half way through flowering... HAve one filling out myself ATM but anyways its been nice chatting with you IRIE:bong:

Back
Top Bottom