619ster's First Grow: Pure Royal Kush July 2010

Here are the one biggest rw baby and the biggest soil baby after transfer to dwc system. All seems to be running smoothly since transfer:
Picture_01134.jpg

Here they are this morning:
Picture_01235.jpg

Other 4 seedlings will be transfered this week as well. Still working on the setup. Stay tuned yall:blunt:

Ooooooh, little babies! They're so cute! :)
I know huh? Something about babies that make you feel all warm and cuddly inside :cheesygrinsmiley:
The heat this week in cali was brutal! Glad to see your babies pull through it. :grinjoint:
U ain't neva lied dawg!! Its been rough. And I was watering the babies 2 times a day at least. Can't wait til their in their new dwc home n then I can relax and watch em grow. Seen your xj-13 trees. Wicked:goodjob:
nice looking babies:popcorn:
Yea they are hanging in there. Wish they were looking better. Growth has been a bit stunned but I know when they get in their dwc home they should begin to perk up and take off.

Just wanted to share one of my discoveries here. I was kind of experimenting with what is better medium to germ seeds in between rockwool and soil. I was almost sure rockwool would be the winner as my success rate with it has been flawless thus far. And my seeds usually pop and break surface in a day in rockwool. 2-5 days for soil. But what I discovered after transplant of rw vs soil was quite interesting. Seeds were germed, planted, and grown at the same time. Ages are equal. Growth seems about the same in both. But we all know a healthy big root system means healthy big plants. Check this out:

My rw baby's root system 2 days after transplant:
Picture_02515.jpg

My soil baby's root system 2 days after transplant:
Picture_02612.jpg

So judging from these results, I think I will be leaving the rockwool alone after this(or after my last bit runs out). I will be starting all seeds in soil and transplanting to dwc/Deep Water Culture. That seems to be the best way to get those roots off and running to me.

And here is a pic of the DWC couple. Other 4 will be joining soon after they get over their little heat shock. Both seem to be growing equally. Same age. But one started in soil and one in rockwool.
Picture20.jpg

soil one on the botttom, rw on top

:peacetwo:Y'all

619er your plants are looking good. What do you soak the rock wool in b4 you use them?
how are you loving these cool nights man?

Thanks! I just run regular tap water on the rockwool to wash off debris and dust. Then I soak in ph water at around 5-5.5 ph along with superthrive. The nights are getting a bit cooler now so it's a big relief from this crazy heat we've been having during the day.

cool setup man :nicethread: How does that Tupperware container work for you? I had to switch to a cooler to keep my water temps down to avoid problems like root rot and algie.

I havent read you whole thing only skimed through it, other than reading this page. Have you tried a submersible water pump to get the water/nutes to your rock wool cubes in the rooting stage? I use this Loading... and run tubes to each rockwool cube

hope this is of some help to you

cool setup man :nicethread: How does that Tupperware container work for you? I had to switch to a cooler to keep my water temps down to avoid problems like root rot and algie.

I havent read you whole thing only skimed through it, other than reading this page. Have you tried a submersible water pump to get the water/nutes to your rock wool cubes in the rooting stage? I use this SH Hydroponics, Inc. > Sunleaves DuraPumps H2O and run tubes to each rockwool cube

hope this is of some help to you

Haha yup! Tupperware works just fine. Even with the clear res but I now have it wrapped in foil tape. I want to start doing Deep Water Culture with a water pump and lines feeding the roots. Just too hot these days to stick anything in the res that's going to add heat. And I also plan on starting all my plants in soil from now on and I'm leaving rockwool alone. Thanks for stopping by.

Typically in a Deep Water Culture setup, when the roots are 2-3" into the res water you pull the feeder pump anyway. So doing a straight DWC should work fine for you now during the hot weather. The difference being the water level. In Deep Water Culture it's about 2" below the net cups, in DWC it needs to be high enough for the seedling to get water from the media.

What is your water temp at then?

I dunno exact water temp, but canopy and air temps are around 80-85 degrees. I would imagine water temp is about 7-10 degrees lower than that. So it's kinda borderline where I want it to be and where problems could possibly occur.

Typically in a Deep Water Culture setup, when the roots are 2-3" into the res water you pull the feeder pump anyway. So doing a straight DWC should work fine for you now during the hot weather. The difference being the water level. In Deep Water Culture it's about 2" below the net cups, in DWC it needs to be high enough for the seedling to get water from the media.

Oh! I thought the lines were used throughout the grow. Guess I haven't read thouroughly enough on Deep Water Culture. But eventually I'll get around to it and put more focus into it. For now, you are correct. DWC is working just fine and making things way easier for me than I ever thought it could be. Hopefully flower will be the same. I haven't grown a plant all the way through til harrvest in hydro yet. I've done outdoors when I was younger but knew nothing and grew with straight water and soil. Aaaaah memories :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom