A Difficult Decision

imominous

We haven't been doing this very long, this October it's a year and a half. We fooled around with various strains until we got some Sonic kalisnapplegoo seeds a friend won at a cannabis event.

Both seeds sprouted. After a couple of weeks, one of them just kind of fell in half, so I treated the top bit like a clone. Both halves lived. Weird. So then we had three from two seeds.

Turned out we had two phenotypes, one sativa dominant and the other very indica. Been rockin' them ever since, but after long and serious consideration, I decided to dump the sativa dominant strain.

We are a very small grow with a very limited amount of space. The sats get over 4 feet tall, spindly stems, heavy buds that bend the stems down. You have to stuff them in tomato cages and raise the lights to accomodate.

I think they'd be swell outdoor plants, or a good strain for someone with more room. They're just not a good fit here in a small tent w/ single light. So...I removed all the satdom clones from veg and discarded them, put the mother into bloom. I'll let the satdoms already in bloom finish their cycle and that'll be the end of it.

The other phenotype is short, sturdy, and produces just as much as the sat. It was a hard decision, but I stand by it. You need good plants that are suitable for your facility; in our case a pandafilm tent thing. We are extremely ghetto!

If one satdom in a 3 gallon pot produces the same as an indi in a 2 gallon pot, 2 indis is mo' better than one satdom. So it is adios to the basketball player types, and hello to the dwarf tossing athletes. So to speak.

I agree, but you can always keep the Sat down with super-crop bending and topping. Then the question is "do I have enough horizontal room?

you can start sativa rooted clones at 12/12 no veg and they will stay small.

you can start sativa rooted clones at 12/12 no veg and they will stay small.

Hoho! I have not the mad skills for that...I do suppress them in veg. They get to live in small square nursery pots until they graduate to a big pot and straight to bloom. No room here for coddling them in larger pots for a month in veg. So what happens is pretty awesome. After a couple weeks this stem shoots straight up. And up. And up. And then it has to be weighted so it doesn't kiss the light and burn. Once they start taking off like that, I'm a spectator. The indis do it too, but they only shoot up about half as high.

Our grow is so small, the mice would be hunchbacked if we had mice. Happily, we don't have mice.

Back
Top Bottom