Afghani #1 - Blue City Diesel - Sugar Plum & Blockhead

Thanks man! Happy to help how I can. I used FloraNova Grow for veg along with FFOF soil. Now that they're in flower I am using FloraNova Bloom. These nutrients have been excellent for me. I used the Advanced Nutrients Connoisseur line last grow (with the pH perfect technology) and had MASSIVE pH issues. I am not checking my pH or PPM on this grow.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

My phone is going to die but they are 5 gallon pots. I haven't measured the diameter. I was watering every 2 days in the peak of veg and am now down to about every 3 or 4 days.

Max temp has peaked at 87F. About 78F during the dark cycle which is during peak heat of the day.

I'm growing in FF Ocean Forest, using Supernatural Gro Terra, Bloom Terra, Bud Blaster, Zeus Juice and Flora Nectar. I go from PH 6.1 to 6.8 at the end. Lately I've been keeping it under 80 degrees with my 1000 w halide. I grow in a 10X10 room, bare, with white floor.
With this BCD, I'm trying to figure if I should trim it to 4 tops or just let it do what it wants.

My understanding is that the BCD strain basically grows in a column unless you top and train it. I settled on 6 tops for mine and each of them is, you guessed it, growing into a big column.

My understanding is that the BCD strain basically grows in a column unless you top and train it. I settled on 6 tops for mine and each of them is, you guessed it, growing into a big column.

Well, that settled it- I trimmed each one down to 4 tops. When I hit 12/12 there should be 4 bouquets on each branch.
The reason I wondered is because I've had some Diesel that didn't like to be topped like that and preferred to grow like a christmas tree... Which I try to avoid. I wasn't sure how many diesel traits this BCD has because this is my first time with it.
Your grow is looking great, that 400W light works well.

- Oh, did you ever figure out the snail thing? I've never seen that before. Are you in a closed room indoors?

Re: Afghani #1 - Blue City Diesel - Sugar Plum & Blockhead

Thanks man. Very curious to see how yours end up. I found another 3 tiny, snail looking dots on some of the leaves on the Afghani a week or so ago but nothing further. No idea wtf that was about! The plants are in an upper level room with an exhaust to outside. I'm guessing it's from the soil the grower who cloned it uses.

It's day 7 of flower and here's how the ladies are looking. They are getting taller by the day but water consumption has been cut in half. I included some closeups to show how each plant's bud sites are coming along. I'll label them since I accidentally made some out of order. One more week of MH before I switch to HPS and I'm considering getting those glasses that correct the color this time around. I love how healthy these plants look and I would hate to miss a problem because the yellow light disguised it.

420-magazine-mobile371743298.jpg

Blockhead STILL has not been watered. It's close but not quite wilted yet so it shall remain.
420-magazine-mobile486124719.jpg

Closeup of the Blockhead bud site growth.
420-magazine-mobile508475119.jpg

Sugar Plum is an absolute shrub but the tops are not as sturdy as I think they need to be. I put a box fan in place of my crappy oscillating fan to hopefully fix that issue.
420-magazine-mobile1187808016.jpg

Afghani bud sites
420-magazine-mobile78661721.jpg

BCD is the tallest plant in the garden but Afghani is catching up. My money is still on Sugar Plum for a comeback growth spurt to put it ahead but we'll see.
420-magazine-mobile415502601.jpg

BCD bud site development
420-magazine-mobile1964976086.jpg

Afghani is right at 26" but the leaves are reaching up toward the light and make it look taller than the BCD.
420-magazine-mobile1877751140.jpg

BCD is right at 27" so this picture is a little misleading.
420-magazine-mobile53069986.jpg

The Blockhead finally wilted and was given a full feeding of bloom nutes, carbs and a dose of SLF-100. I got the SLF-100 as a free sample from a grow store and have been told it can help break up decayed roots. The Blockhead had fungus gnat issues and took 3 weeks to dry out. Who knows what's lurking in its root ball. I'm just hopeful it can recover fully and produce a respectable amount when it's all said and done.

very glad I have stopped by your journal, we don't often see 2X2 growers and I'm looking forward to see your results.
I'm sure you'll have a good harvest with the 5 gal pots + the 400 w.
what is your goal harvest for this grow ?
keep up the good work mate !
:cheer:

Thank you! I'm happy to be able to contribute. I would love to hit 1 gram per watt but I think the Blockhead is going to screw me on that goal. I'd be very happy with 10-12 ounces and ecstatic with 14+.

well all your plants look good to me, if the blockhead isn't taking to much space just LST the closest plants to take more surface to replace the lost of free space and you'll be fine!
I'm going for a 11 once bet :D

Thanks for the optimism ewilan947! You make a good point and I may try that. Just not super stoked about the idea of more training lol

The girls are becoming covered in preflowers and their node structure now looks like flowering is upon us. Sugar Plum is behind but I'm guessing it's the sativa genes. Here is a wide shot and a closeup of a growth tip on each plant:

20160726_220244.jpg

Sugar Plum
20160726_220136.jpg

Blue City Diesel
20160726_220034.jpg

Afghani #1
20160726_2200451.jpg

Blockhead
20160726_220120.jpg

I'm almost certain the snail issue is actually an insect called Scale. One of the most bizarre insects you'll run across (seriously, Google it) but apparently somewhat common on marijuana. That would explain the weird little hard shells popping up.

In a possibly related development, I randomly found what looks like a yellow worm, less than one millimeter in length, on the underside of a Sugar Plum leaf. I looked at it through a loupe and could not see any legs on the little bastard.

I've Googled this to death and have heard everything from thrips to cutworm to scale. I am not sure which way to go on this one but am leaning toward pyrethrin bombing the whole room since I am so early into flower. Please help if you can!

I'm almost certain the snail issue is actually an insect called Scale. One of the most bizarre insects you'll run across (seriously, Google it) but apparently somewhat common on marijuana. That would explain the weird little hard shells popping up.

In a possibly related development, I randomly found what looks like a yellow worm, less than one millimeter in length, on the underside of a Sugar Plum leaf. I looked at it through a loupe and could not see any legs on the little bastard.

I've Googled this to death and have heard everything from thrips to cutworm to scale. I am not sure which way to go on this one but am leaning toward pyrethrin bombing the whole room since I am so early into flower. Please help if you can!

I use Mighty Wash for just about everything, from mites to mildew. It's good stuff to have around.

Nice grow... I'm shocked I've never seen it before since I browse everybody's grow. Nice job on the training through veg..

As for your Pests I can't help since I have no clue.. Most people around my area get knats, thrips, white flies and spider mites. I've learned over my last couple grows that prevention is easier than fighting a breakout of pests.

Back
Top Bottom