Any members seen one of these? Please help me ID this thing!

trichomes

Any members seen one of these? Please help me ID this thing!
strange3.jpg

First thing is to know our enemy:
Mealy bugs (Pseudococcidae) are characterized by having a body covered with white waxy growths, its peak sucker sticks it in different parts of the plant, causing weakening of what accompanies the formation of fungus bold. These small animals have a size between approximately 1 mm. and 1 cm.
It is easy to detect with the naked eye. It is also advisable to touch the leaves for signs of sticky (most mealy bugs secrete honeydew that permeates the leaves and makes them sticky).
Although rarely occurs in marijuana crops, the citrus mealy bug is the most dangerous form of its rapid spread among our plants, since the male has wings. Reproduction of this pest is quite rapid, since a female comes to lay 300 to 500 eggs that attaches to plant parts in a bag waxy.

Once after sunset, which usually lasts 5 to 10 days, the female dies. Small young mealy bugs will spread quickly by the crop and begin to suck sap from the plant.

Before being cochineal adult goes through three stages of nymphs, their life cycle is highly dependent on temperature, but approximately takes about 90 days at 18 ° C and 30 days at 30 ° C.
Really stages between females and males of mealy bugs are different:
Female:
Egg -> Nymph 1 -> Nymph 2 -> Nymph3 -> Adult
Male:
Egg -> Nymph 1 -> Nymph 2 -> prepupa -> pupa -> adult
The most common time for this pest is warmer seasons or when plants lack the necessary nutrients.

DAMAGE

The damage caused by this pest are quite similar to the aphid. Since both are aphids (plant sap sucking and molasses produced in fungi which grow easily.)
By absorbing the sap of the plant, it loses force weakens. At the same, to excrete molasses, create an ideal habitat for Sooty mold, that will blacken preventing photosynthesis leaves of the plant.

PREVENTION BETTER THAN CURE

Mealybug loves excess dry environment, which should control relative humidity in the atmosphere.
One of the best ways to prevent them is with classical garden.

I HAVE MEALYBUGS IN MY CROP. WHAT CAN I DO?
The first is to remove the affected plant or plants to prevent the spread of the plague, and of course we review the healthy plants.
It is advisable if there are ants, because these are allies of mealybugs (like aphid).
Keep in mind that the scales have advantage over insecticides, thanks to their shells.
If the plant is growing, there are several products on the market that can help us cope with this plague, can be for example Compo Anti Cochineal.
We recommend that if the plant is in bloom, better fend biological treatments, such as:

• Soap and alcohol: disband a tablespoon of soap (or dishwasher) in a little warm water. Then add that to a liter of water with a tablespoon of methylated spirits. And just with a small brush or spray whole plant (including the underside of leaves). Be careful with this method because it can burn the youngest leaves, so it is advised that these sheets are cleaned with water within 15 minutes after spraying.

• Garden Ladybugs are one of their natural predators, leverages that advantage.

• Fern: is mostly used in indoor plants, for they make a tea with a handful of fronds (fern) tender for each liter of water. We filter and fumigate plants.

• Snuff: a mixture is made with six tablespoons of snuff in 5 liters of water, to which 1 tablespoon of soap added. Mix well and spray the plant.

• Oregano: You must macerate 3 tablespoons of dried oregano per liter of water, leaving him seven days. Strain and then spray on the affected plant every two weeks.

We get mealybugs here in American South East. Never seen 'em till last summer. White, fuzzy, big and slow-moving. I love squishin' 'em. Pick them off your buds if necessary, with a fine knife, if you don't want to touch them. If that don't work, then sorry to say I don't know will.

Back
Top Bottom