Are my seedlings healthy?

Speed

Hello im new here and new grower, i dont know if its the right section to ask this and im sorry if it isnt but i want an opinion about my 2 seedlings, take a look and tell me if they are healthy because i dont see them very healthy or am i wrong? And whats the problem if they are not healthy? Maybe before some days i overwatered them now i water them more carefuly. I have them indoor with 2 lamps.
Please take a look and tell me. Thanks in advance.

Here are the photos of my seedlings :

DSC_04003.jpg

DSC_03982.jpg

DSC_03954.jpg

Yeah they look good but that soil looks a little sandy and dense. Is that garden soil?

They will need a water if it gets hot but so far they look good. sometimes i like to spray the tops of the soil gently to encourage root growth in the upper parts of the soil too. just a thought. Just keep it simple and watch em grow. its great.

Ah nice!! I thought they were sick becasue of that light green stripe on the leaf in the 2nd photo. Im so reliefed now!! Thanks for the reply. Yes its garden soil but i wanted to use it because in the garden i have olives, oranges, tangerines, figs, blackberries and other trees and plants and i thought that it would be good and for this. Actualy every time i water it i do it by spraying the top and the upper parts of the soil, near the root and i spray a bit the leaves but i see that the water is a bit heavy for the leaves. Every 12 - 14 hours is a good timing for watering them? Or its too often and i overwater them? Because now we have high temperatures 30 - 38C.

Watch getting water on the leaves when the sun/light is on them,it could burn the leaves.As for the watering schedule it depends on how fast your soil dries out.Gotta watch them good in high temps until you find out what works in your climate.I personally would water it a little more than misting the soil so the water can penetrate down and allow all the roots to receive water,so I don't get dry pockets.

When i did that watering more so the water penetrating the soil the seedlings looked overwatered and thats why i let them with less water. Maybe its early for more water i dont know :S I will try from now on water them only near the roots and the whole upper soil till they grow more. Also i dont know if or which of them is female its too early. I hope both of them are females.

Now i have problem look the lower leaves on the photos, can they be like this because i didnt water them correctly and they needed more water? Or maybe its the light? i have 2 cfl lamps 20watt(100watt economy) 1200 lumens and i have them 5 - 6 cm above the flowers. The lower leaves with the problem are the 2 round leaves and not any other leaves with edges. Before a week around i used a very very small dose of fertilizer 8-10-12 some ingredients of it Zn, Cu, Mn, Mg, Fe, B, Ca poor to natrium, maybe if i use a very very small dose again would help?

Here are the photos :

DSC_04106.jpg

DSC_04055.jpg

DSC_04152.jpg

In the 2 first photos is the one seedling and in the 3rd photo the other.

Please Help!!

Those will always die off like that the plants use the stored nutrients in them to grow.
All is good. Try to get them in a lighter fluffier mix when you transplant them.
not sure of the pot size but they look big as well when you start some next time go smaller to start them in.
If you fully saturate a big pot like that with water there is not nearly enough roots on a ling to drink that amount fast enough.

Just slow and steady and you will be good.

I have seen a lot worse on here. Your leaves are praying to the light so thats a good sign they are happy.

Thanks for replying man so there is not problem. Whats ur opinion about the fertilizer i mention above (i edited my previous post)? And what mix you suggest to use when i transpant them? I wanna ask u and if i can let them in this pot and not transplant them will they grow? Will they grow buds? (just asking) Also i dont know the sex of them but when i see them close i see many white hairs on both of them, on the body and on the leaves, it means they are female ladys or its very early to know yet?
Realy thanks for helping me!

Its too early to determine sex of plants this early on. What you want to work on is root growth and forget about the sex for a month.

How big are your pots and what size light are you going to flower them under? If your using cfl's to flower i suggest topping them early and keeping them short and as bushy as possible. its important to keep the light as even as possible on the canopy as the cfl's dont have the intensity or penetration a hid light would have meaning hps or mh.

For mixes to transplant into I suggest something pretty quick draining that retains a good amount of both water and oxygen. Your mix you have them in looks to be very dense and compacted already. I would stay away from bottled nutrients except for a few things that I keep around like a kelp seaweed extract, Some different fishy ferts, an organic grow and bloom base nutrient, and if your using reverse osmosis water system some ca/mg to replace the minerals naturally found in our tap water essential for plant growth.

They will grow buds in about anything with the proper care. Just think an even balance of water and air to the roots and dont feed until you see signs of them wanting it. Ok to feed micros but dont overdo it right now less is more at this stage.

Thanks again for your help you are very analyzing. My pots have perimeter 31cm and height 8cm(i think they are a bit small or not ?:S can a flower grow in this ? :S), and im thinking to keep these lamps because they are very economic, i have them 5cm above the leaves, i hope the lamps do their job and grow the plants, ive bought 2 more like the lamps i have but with 2800k color for the flowering period, the lamps i use now are 6400k. In how much time you suggest to transplant them? And if you can explain what u mean topping them?

Hi,
it looks like your spraying the plants with water, if these plants are under lights then this can cause problems, its best just to water the soil,
the soil your using is ground soil, this is not the best as it dont let much oxygen get to the roots, the best option would of been a cheap bag of compost, or at the very list mix some perlite in with the ground soil,

ground soil also will contain very little nutrients as the soil your using looks dead and dont contain much broken down plant matter which feeds the microbes which in turn feeds the plant,

so you might find you will have root rot problems pretty quick as the soil wont dry out as quick and the roots will have a tough time coping with the lack of oxygen at the roots, but it is possible to grow in these conditions but you will need nutrients and keep a close eye on the plants, but i can see problems with growth just due to the soil not having much oxygen available at the roots.

the nutes you have used are not a normal veg stage nutes, you want something higher in N and lower in PK for veg then the opposite for flower.

with the cfls you will need to go with 6400kelvin for veg or the blue/white looing light and 2700kelvin for flower or the orange standard household type cfls.

my main worry is the condition of the roots, they will get very little oxygen as the soil compacts down in the pot.

the 2 main issues new growers come across is over and under watering, its very easy to over water, these plants like the soil to dry out between each watering so the roots can get some oxygen, so letting the pot dry out is a good option but the soil your using would make it difficult to really tell due to it been so compacted, what you might be able to do is fill a pot with the same soil and leave that pot totally dry with nothing gowing in it, then you got something to compare the weights to,

By topping I mean making a clean cut removing the growing tip to promote the plant to bush out. If you are using those lights to flower i would suggest flowering them early and not letting them get that big your pots are probably sufficient paired with your lights. the smaller the light the less roots your plants will have. the less food they need. I am not sure but how many litres are the pots.

if you could take more picture it would be easier to help.
You will hear me say slow down a lot to new growers. the goal is to not try and over-correct everything. They look good so far. what are your temps ?

The pot size I would go one size bigger which would be double the volume. But if at all possible you should try and get another couple lights in there for flower. and a fan to move the air in the room without blowing directly on the young lings.

Hello again guys thanks for the advices!! I just bought new pots with 17cm height and 60cm perimeter (like the double volume of the old pots), also i bought new soil in a bag from store with synthesis : turf(peat) 85%, organic substance vegetal origins 15%, perilte, sand, soil salinity 1,1gr/l, ph 5.2-6.0, EC 0.7mS/cm. Tell me your opinion about the things i bought are they good? I think this soil is better than the old soil that i have them in right? When you suggest me to do the transplant? Today is a good timing? Because i want them to have new and fresh soil. I have a question, while i do the transplant some of the old soil(the soil near the roots and under them) will go with the new soil in the new pots, is this a prob? And if its a prob what can i do i cant bare the seedlings? I think its impossible now to separate the roots from the old soil. Also the temps must be around 25-35 Celcius degrees.

I couldnt hold myself and i did the transplant, here are the photos of the new soil and new pots. I tried to get rid of the old soil and i left very little on the roots and near the body but i covered it and on top with the new soil. Also something seems wrong with the one plant you will see in the last photo the 2 leaves right and left starts turn to yellow and in the edge it starts to get brown take a look and tell me an opinion :S

Here are the photos :

DSC_04302.jpg

DSC_04293.jpg

DSC_04193.jpg

They are about 2.5 - 3 litres each one. Last time i watered them was right after i transplanted them because i didnt watered them all day. So now i let them for a while without water. Ill try to find a way for more light but its a bit difficult coz now with the bigger pots i dont have much free space in there. If i cant put more light ill have big problem?? For the airflow ill try to use a very small fan.

If you cant add any light just keep them small and bushy. airflow is very important as well. the plants need a supply of air from outside or at least an open window or door near the room. if its too cold to bring in air from outside or too hot than you will have to do some thinking of how you will do it.

I saw some videos about topping to keep them small and bushy and it seems easy for someone experienced but to me seems a bit risky, i dont wanna hurt the plant :S I saw that u cut the middle new leaves that are going to grow and get tall, right? But i think its early now to do this, when i should start topping it? Also about the airflow Ill use a small fan, the room i got them in has 2 windows i think should be ok coz i have always the 2 windows open.

yep i agree, do not top yet, as you removed most the soil from the old roots this would of caused plenty of stress, it would of been better just to let the old pots dry out and then transplant the mass that the roots where stuck to, the roots would then soon grow into the new soil and that would lower the transplant stress,

but now their in a new home they will do much better, just let them settle in a bit now,

also you mention no room for lights, the plants will need to be at least 1ft high and possibly 2 at flower unless you go down the scrog option, plus the bigger they get the more light they will need, else yields will be low and plants will be slow to grow,

if you dont have room to grow then would it be possible to build a unit to grow in or an old wardrobe or cupboard, topping makes the stem split into 2, then you can top each stem again once its grown out and that will give you 4 tops, but this still means the plant is going to get taller, their are other options like some low stress training but even then if you tie the top of the plant down to grow it sideways then the growth at the nodes will still need to grow upwards to give some space for buds to grow,

so lets see how this transplant goes, all been well in a few days growth will carry on and we can then find out what options you have and which grow method is going to work the best for the area your growing in, just remember their weeds and they grow like weeds, so it dont take long before they enter rapid growth then the plants can grow an inch or 2 in a day, sometimes more depending on strain

Back
Top Bottom