Arteekay's Second Grow - Autos & Feminized - Mixed Strains

I'm sure it reached out and just smacked at you. :laughtwo: I'd have done the same, in self-defense mind you. Lol!

I can't have the others witness such insolence, an example had to be made. :)

I find it fascinating that you weigh them every night, but then that's a good part of your success, isn't it? You can more precisely determine the need for a drench.

I would like to think so, although it's value was definitely more valuable for the first 6 months. I keep it up because it does help with scheduling and I still find it fascinating to watch their usage and top weight change.

Hmmmm. I complicate my life by setting my no-tills on SWICK reservoirs and then simply it by using regularly scheduled drenches. You gotta love the diversity we get to see here, don't you? All these different ways to grow.

Absolutely! It's fascinating and educational to see the variety of ways it can be done. Simply amazing. We're happy with the results we're getting right now, but definitely looking forward to changing things up once we have more space this fall.

That Purple Kush is going to grow unbelievable buds you know. Even I can see that with my untrained eye.

Our Crown Royale deceived us, we thought she was huge but only ended up giving us 4 ounces. I have some faith this one will do better but hesitate to wager on her. :)

Well perfect job on the autos perfect training and removing all bottom of plant growth u have done it spot on.this is key for huge dominant main colas.pat on the back sir. Top work;)

I'll happily take that back pat my friend, means a ton coming from you. It was your topping thread that got me started.

Loved the Cat Scan reference.

I didn't even notice the other one was in the background until I uploaded it.

On the topic of removing all bottom growth.....

I was wandering the Internet today researching live resin extractions. Came across a business in CO that specializes in such and is highly sought after. What they contend, and they back it up with testing, is that the best source for resin, both in quantity and quality, is sugar leaves and popcorn buds.

All this time and effort we put into stripping the bottoms of our plants is actually working against us. At the very least we should discontinue entirely this practice of removing the sugar leaves. Let's start a movement to have NOTM candidates wrapped in the loving embrace of their sugar leaves, which were left on at the trim.

As someone who grows for oil I'll be rethinking my training techniques to encourage both top colas and popcorn buds. I already know how to grow killer popcorn. More light, strategically placed.

Anyway, that's my 2 cent's worth. :battingeyelashes:

I topped her today arteekay. That bending 'till they pop off worked right nice. It'll be my go-to move from now on.

image14168.jpeg

image14169.jpeg

image14170.jpeg

image14171.jpeg

You teach well. Keep it up. :hug:

July 2 (Saturday) Update.

Autos: Red Poison is 67, Cheryl (Amnesia Haze) is 51, Early Miss 3 is 37, Train Wreck is 22, and the Quarter Pounder is 10 day old.They are on an 20/4 schedule and are 12-22 inches from their lights.

Photos: Purple Kush is 87 days old (day 23 since flipping to 12/12). She is 11 inches from her main light.

• QP got 1.44 liters of bubbled tap water at 149 ppm and 5.8 PH @ 68 f
  • EM3 got soaked with 75% strength bloom nutes (5.46 liters with 22.5 ml each of DNF Bloom A+B and 5 ml of GO CaMg+) at 775 ppm and 5.8 PH @67 f
  • Cheryl (AH) got soaked with 75% strength bloom nutes and fortifier (4.00 liters with 15 ml each of DNF Bloom A+B, 4 ml of GO CaMg+, and .8 g of DNF Bloom Fortifier) at 871 ppm and 5.8 PH @ 67 f
  • PK got soaked with 75% strength bloom nutes and fortifier (6.31 liters with 26 ml each of DNF Bloom A+B, 6.5 ml of GO CaMg+, and 1.3 g of DNF Bloom Fortifer) at 792 ppm and 5.8 PH @ 67 f

Busy day. Only one didn't need water. Well, AH didn't really need it, but we decided to do her anyway so we could have an easy last day of the long weekend. That also meant we had a harvest to get to as well. Our first Sweet Seeds Red Poison ended her run earlier this evening. There is a bit of pot there I think.

Our first Train Wreck got her 6 tops leveled off a bit. My first chance to try out the new frame Jaybiz put together. I think I'm gonna like this.

QP at 10 days (9.85 lbs, down from 10.41 yesterday, 13.02 lbs after watering tonight):

TW at 22 days (15.34 lbs, down about a pound. I forgot to re-weigh her after adding the frame):

EM3 at 37 days (10.89 lbs, 10.72 after defoliation, down from 16.82 yesterday, and 22.75 lbs after watering tonight):

Cheryl (AH) at 51 days (16.97 lbs down from 25.03 after watering yesterday, 25.80 lbs after watering tonight):

RP at 67 days (11.65 lbs, down from 13.59 yesterday):

PK at 87 days, 23 days from flipping (21.42 lbs down from 24.20, 35.33 after watering tonight):

Back in the tent:

On the topic of removing all bottom growth.....

I was wandering the Internet today researching live resin extractions. Came across a business in CO that specializes in such and is highly sought after. What they contend, and they back it up with testing, is that the best source for resin, both in quantity and quality, is sugar leaves and popcorn buds.

All this time and effort we put into stripping the bottoms of our plants is actually working against us. At the very least we should discontinue entirely this practice of removing the sugar leaves. Let's start a movement to have NOTM candidates wrapped in the loving embrace of their sugar leaves, which were left on at the trim.

There's likely something to it, but I'd guess there's also some contention on the definition of popcorn, particularly when scaled to commercial production and full plant extractions. There may even be some variations of the definitions of sugar leaves. Growing style as well, commercial growers would never spend the time we do training an auto.

Any chance you have a link to that one?

As someone who grows for oil I'll be rethinking my training techniques to encourage both top colas and popcorn buds. I already know how to grow killer popcorn. More light, strategically placed.

Anyway, that's my 2 cent's worth. :battingeyelashes:

See, here's a good example of the issue of "what is popcorn". By the definition I have in my head, popcorn is flowers that due to shade, crowding, or other factions has not fully developed when the rest of the plant is harvested. Once you get it proper lighting and airflow, it's no longer popcorn.

I topped her today arteekay. That bending 'till they pop off worked right nice. It'll be my go-to move from now on.

image14168.jpeg

image14169.jpeg

image14170.jpeg

image14171.jpeg

You teach well. Keep it up. :hug:

Ya hit the day I predicted, but developmentally you managed to top her where I'd love it, but have been unable to do so. I needa little tool like yours there. I have to wait until she's big enough to do with my fingers. If I'd actually been beside you, I'd have tried to convince ya to wait another day or two.

In other words, like all great students you took what you were shown and improved on it. She looks absolutely perfect to me. I honestly believe snapping vs cutting is better. Cutting is for photos when you're taking clones. :)

Our first Sweet Seeds Red Poison autoflower's time came today. We ran her 11 days past the breeders schedule of "8 weeks from seed". We've been pretty close to right at their timeline on our Dark Devil's, so it's a little surprising to see we're off on this one. Either way we're glad we ran her the extra time. We might have been able to get another week out of her had we not heavily defoliated last weekend. Either way, what's done is done and I'm quite happy with how she turned out.

I screwed up her training as I didn't plan for her to get anywhere near this big. Opps. All well, we've had enough samplers to know we'll grow another one sooner than later, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it'd do with some lollipopping, and not struggling to keep herself upright.

Her life story:

One Week old:
May 3 (Tuesday) Update. Red Poison is 7.

RP (9.8 lbs, down from 11.2 after watering yesterday):

Two Weeks:
May 10 (Tuesday) Update. Red Poison is 14.

Our first Red Poison is one day past topping and took the day to recover.

RP at 14 days (8.4 lbs down from 8.6 yesterday, 12 after watering today):

Three Weeks:
May 17 (Tuesday) Update. Red Poison is 21.

Red Poison's training is just starting to ramp up. I'm loving the shape she's developing with her lower branches pulled up.

RP at 21 days (8 lbs down from 9.2 yesterday, 21.8 lbs after watering tonight):

I screwed up this bit of training by releasing the lower branches after only about 3 days. Seems they need a week or so to really lock into position.

Four Weeks:
May 24 (Tuesday) Update. Red Poison is 28.

Our first Red Poison auto was droopy dry today, that'll be the last time she drops that low. I let all of her training go for a half hour or so during watering and re-did it all afterwards. All was perfect, but two hours later I was futzing with her and snapped a center prime branch off. Dammit. Ah well, all around that will have to fill in for it. :)

RP at 28 days (9.2 lbs down from 13 yesterday, 22 lbs after watering tonight):

Free at last, free at last:

Back in bondage:

Five Weeks:
May 31 (Tuesday) Update. Red Poison is 35.

I wonder if I'd be able to tell our first Red Poison from a Dark Devil if they were side by side, honestly. She's bigger than either of our DDs, but otherwise...

RP at 35 days (11.47 lbs down from 17.85 yesterday, 24.47 lbs after watering tonight):

Six Weeks:
June 7 (Tuesday) Update. Red Poison is 42.

Our first Red Poison continues to increase her daily water usage, 8 lbs in the last 24 hours. Like her sister, our third Candy Cane, we'll continue to dump all the water through her that she'll take. In the past we still maintained a solid dry cycle well into flower, these two will never be bone dry again, until harvest.

RP at 42 days (15.07 lbs down from 23.46 after watering yesterday, 25.97 lbs after watering tonight):

Seven Weeks:
June 14 (Tuesday) Update. Red Poison is 49.

RP at 49 days (13.88 lbs down from 17.95 yesterday, 26.16 lbs after watering tonight):

Couldn't take how floppy the top that I lost control of is. So she got wired to another branch and pulled over quite a bit. Much more stable, and far more level as well. Guess I have her back under some control. :)

Eight Weeks:
June 21 (Tuesday) Update. Red Poison is 56.

Our first Sweet Seeds Red Poison is getting stupid big, can't wait to see her in another week. By the breeder's schedule she should have come down today. NOPE! hehehe

RP at 56 days (16.08 lbs, down from 21.33 yesterday):

Nine(ish) Weeks:
June 27 (Monday) Update. Red Poison is 62.

RP at 62 days (13.40 lbs, down from 17.41 yesterday):

I missed day her on the day, sorry.

Next up... Tonight's before and after harvest pictures:

Red Poison's Harvest

Tonight:

Without her big fan leaves:

After washing:

Hanging to dry in the photo tent, above our first Purple Kush:

Some lower buds without a stem to hang from:

We hung 1125 grams, but there's a lot of stem there. I'll guess 6.5 ounces, but hope we'll crack our record of 7.4.

I just realized what you do to the supporting branches. I've looked curiously at that soft tie under there but never questioned it. You do that to keep the upward structure while you train the branches out horizontally, don't you? I can't believe that never registered before, but I'm glad it did now.

You do this for every plant? Leave it like that for a week or so?

Cool. You guys are going to make me so much better than I have been. :high-five:

Hi !

Sorry if you already explained it, but what is this grid? it doesn't look like a barbecue or oven grill, but could be :)
I'm looking for something like this (may be with larger weaves...).
Thanks

I always figure 20% of wet, so that means you have 8 ounces of potential dry hanging there arteekay. :high-five: That calculation has proven itself to be a reliable indicator for my grows. I'll be interested in seeing how that works for you.

Thanks for the compliments. Your obsessive documentation makes all the difference here.

arteekay said:
Any chance you have a link to that one?

It was an article in High Times, so I can't link it, but Google "Dabs 2.0: CO2 Extractions for Cannabis Concentrates." The business name is Evolab, out of CO. The article was from March 25, 2014. Enjoy the read. I have to remind myself to breathe when I read about live resin concentrates. Some way. Some day.

I just realized what you do to the supporting branches. I've looked curiously at that soft tie under there but never questioned it. You do that to keep the upward structure while you train the branches out horizontally, don't you? I can't believe that never registered before, but I'm glad it did now.

You do this for every plant? Leave it like that for a week or so?

Cool. You guys are going to make me so much better than I have been. :high-five:

You got it. You may remember I was complaining about how low I'd pushed some branches (R2 specifically)trying to get the tops level. So starting with our Red Poison, I tried tying them upright as soon as they were big enough to get a wired up. That failed with RP as I let the wires go too soon. Since then our first Amnesia Haze, and then our third Early Miss, got the same treatment but I left it on for at least a week or more. I'm very happy with the results on those two, so our first Train Wreck got the same treatment.

The two advantages I'm after is to get the three branches one each side up to the same level sooner and far closer to the main stem (than I was getting by just pulling them with ties) and to open up the pot so it's easy to water. RP was terrible to water, I'd stretched her out and pushed her down so low she was folding over the edges of her fabric pot. Never again. AH and EM3 are wide open for watering. :)

Hi !

Sorry if you already explained it, but what is this grid? it doesn't look like a barbecue or oven grill, but could be :)
I'm looking for something like this (may be with larger weaves...).
Thanks

[/INDENT]

It's just a cooling rack from the kitchen section at one of the box stores i think it was. Cheap, easy, and endless variety.

I always figure 20% of wet, so that means you have 8 ounces of potential dry hanging there arteekay. :high-five: That calculation has proven itself to be a reliable indicator for my grows. I'll be interested in seeing how that works for you.

Thanks for the compliments. Your obsessive documentation makes all the difference here.

I think we've got more stems that we usually have, so I'll stick with my previous guess of 6.5, but would be thrilled to crack a half pound. Don't wanna get my hopes up too high.

It was an article in High Times, so I can't link it, but Google "Dabs 2.0: CO2 Extractions for Cannabis Concentrates." The business name is Evolab, out of CO. The article was from March 25, 2014. Enjoy the read. I have to remind myself to breathe when I read about live resin concentrates. Some way. Some day.

Added to the research list. Thanks as always Sue.

July 2 (Saturday) Update.

Autos: Cheryl (Amnesia Haze) is 52, Early Miss 3 is 38, Train Wreck is 23, and the Quarter Pounder is 11 day old.They are on an 20/4 schedule and are 12-22 inches from their lights.

Photos: Purple Kush is 88 days old (day 24 since flipping to 12/12). She is 11 inches from her main light.

Temps remain in the low 80s with humidity around 50%.

Not a thing to do today other than some defol on our third Early Miss and first Amnesia Haze, adjusting our first Train Wreck's training, and of course taking everyone's pic and stats.

I get a kick out of seeing the difference in weight's from a defol, love having a scale accurate enough to measure it. For example AH was 17.05 lbs when we took her out of the tent, and 16.97 lbs after we finished pulling a couple dozen big fan leaves that were shading or crowding.

Family pics:

QP at 11 days (11.70 lbs, down from 13.02 after watering yesterday):

TW at 23 days (14.08 lbs, down from 15.34 yesterday):

EM3 at 38 days (16.60 lbs, down from 22.75 yesterday):

Nope, her turn to get missed.​

AH at 52 days (17.05 lbs, 16.97 after defoliation, down from 25.80 after watering yesterday):

PK at 88 days, 24 days since flipping (31.78 lbs, down from 35.33 after watering yesterday):

Back in the tent:

Jay, I need to hit you with reps. Post something brilliant. A picture of one of those magnificent frames will do, since that's what has my blood zinging.

Thank you. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Jay, I need to hit you with reps. Post something brilliant. A picture of one of those magnificent frames will do, since that's what has my blood zinging.

Thank you. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Well DAMN! Now you're forcing me to figure out how to upload pictures and post them in threads.. didn't you hear?? I'm off today and in the spirit of July 4th for you and my other American friends, figuring stuff out may not be easy in this medicated state.. but here it goes...

The current configuration of this frame is to allow rtk to tie down at any angle, and the frame itself is great for handling the plant too. You can pick it up from any point.

2016-07-04_10_35_32.jpg
2016-07-04_10_23_39.jpg
2016-07-04_10_22_47.jpg
2016-07-04_10_22_06.jpg

Thank you Jay, for going above and beyond. That's a fabulous design. Was it your own? What inspired it? Very impressive, and I loved the way he could tie down at any point. That just fascinated me. I'll be watching him progress with this. If I had the space I'd have made one myself.

That explains the glue joints. :high-five: reps awarded. :battingeyelashes: :hug:

Thank you Jay, for going above and beyond. That's a fabulous design. Was it your own? What inspired it? Very impressive, and I loved the way he could tie down at any point. That just fascinated me. I'll be watching him progress with this. If I had the space I'd have made one myself.

That explains the glue joints. :high-five: reps awarded. :battingeyelashes: :hug:

Thanks Sue!!

The original inspiration came from seeing a commercial product like the scrog for the purple kush. That was actually in someone's grow journal here but I can't remember for the life of me who it was. We thought it would be perfect for our methods, can still weigh them, get under them to clean up and still easy to water. So I hit the hardware store and in 3 versions, we have what you see the Train Wreck is sitting in.

Above and beyond... Seriously? Guy finally learns how to upload a photo after 8 months and we're giving him a standing O? :)

:rofl:

I didn't really play with the first scrog, our Crown Royale photo, but we've been talking since on getting one together for an auto. I gave him a bunch of suggestions on how to change it up for my purposes with an auto, followed by some impractical and ill-conceived suggestions. I then of course made him prove it to me before he went off and made the ideas into what would actually work.

Now I just have to figure out how to break it to him that we need 5 more 4.6 gallon airpots and a fleet of frames and add-ons. :)

It never ends my friend. :laughtwo: I say invest in it. This is a brilliant scheme and will make your lives easier and your grows more effortlessly productive. I can see already how well it's working.

Back
Top Bottom