Autos v. Photos - A 5x5 No Rules Fight for Yield: A Jon & NickHardy Gig

Tester buds, as silly as they sound as as wasteful as one can argue they are, actually do serve an important purpose at times. If you have a plant whose trichome window is staying open an unusually long time and you’re not sure where the plant is at in terms of power, you can use tester buds to at least get an idea. If you don’t burn them and keep them green and not too crispy they’re fairly representative, at least for power.

Example: I just tested the Gorilla Cookies (coco/Cyco). She’s on the cusp - she has a bunch of immature amber and is about 90% filled in white. So I nailed the oven, and I just did a big bong hit of it. I’m in the middle of working, so I just packed it, hit it, and moved on. Lol. About 20 seconds later I had to stop. The wave hit me. Wow, did it ever. Hard. A no mercy level hit. A put my head down with my chest on my thighs type hit and just feel the wave wash top to bottom. I was truly truly surprised, just south of shocked. Rarely does that happen. This bud is going to be extremely potent, regardless of Nick’s take on thc levels. It’s advertised with test results in the high 28% level. I cannot WAIT.

IMG_5619.jpeg
Don’t ya just love ❤️ to be pleasantly surprised when you try something for the first time and it’s better than expected? That first hit of Golden Tiger was just like that for me. CL🍀

If you like Skywalker and that kind of high you would love the parent Mazar. To this day one of my favourites both to grow and smoke. It just work well everytime!

A classic hash plant with earthy, pine, frankincense and citrus notes.

Cheers!
Thanks @Wastei - I’ve considered that one before, good to know. And it highlights the truth of the matter, which basically is that you can chase high thc strains all you like, but it’s better to chase the terpenes. Find the ones that work best for you, then grow strains with a terpene profile that suits you. It’s as easy to research as any other aspect one might consider when selecting strains to grow.

I know you already know this stuff, so this is for anyone who wants a very basic primer on terpenes and why they are the true determinant factor at the end of the day in your weed experience. It has a couple links to studies and comes from a reputable source.

Pretty fast dry, no? Three days? Phew.
That will 5 days “before we start thinking about it” but also they had 2.5 days drying in the dark having been droughted before that. But post trim we dry again. Normally 2-3 days more drying before cure in Grove Bags.

Ultimately final trim is most likely to be determined by when & Co decides! She has a busy week already but L is back to school tomorrow after the holidays here so that means kids and hangers on reduce a bit. But she’s got to organise the dispensary, license and renovation and bunch of other stuff!

IMG_0370.jpeg
IMG_0369.jpeg
IMG_0368.jpeg

Dunno anyone noticed but I mentioned I had a broken light?

This wasn’t like this 6-7 weeks back when I posted pictures of it open before.

Sparky said at the time “I think it has problem with driver but not sure”

Optimistic me - “Nah - the new dimmer will fix it”

Lucky me - the house didn’t burn down

He had it open to test all three dimmers - they should have totaled 850w - this is normal - our 60w are 50w etc.

I dunno we switched them off after 67-68 days of flower.

I wonder how many days more until it actually caught fire?

Man even when I lose I win.

The photos don’t do it justice in the dark.

The daylight ones I send to the manufacturer I’ll post here.

To misquote Spike Milligan,

“I told you it was broken”

On the trim?

It rained during daylight hours for the first in maybe 5 months? They need another day dry as a result. Tweaked the AC setting - may move the dehuey from this grow, same model Jon use into that room as well.

It’ll be done when its done.

Seriously - that level of burnt out mental?

Crazy lucky it didn’t end worse.

Nick & Co and all our Fam in one piece.

x

IMG_0370.jpeg
IMG_0369.jpeg
IMG_0368.jpeg

He had it open to test all three dimmers - they should have totaled 850w - this is normal - our 60w are 50w etc.

On the trim?

It rained during daylight hours for the first in maybe 5 months? They need another day dry as a result. Tweaked the AC setting - may move the dehuey from this grow, same model Jon use into that room as well.

x
glad you caught it any fire would be devestating

IMG_0370.jpeg
IMG_0369.jpeg
IMG_0368.jpeg

On the trim?

x
That could have been disastrous. Phew.

My Sparky for all the jokes. He’s second generation sparky, grew up in his Dad’s electrical supply shop. Has a technical college qualification. Much in demand.

He knows where it is in the building. He always considered it safe. Within tolerances, no crazy hot, no direct light, no wet.

He cautioned it was a driver issue. Now he thinks a control board issue, maybe the board caused by the driver. He likes maybe’s.

I dunno. He knows, he knows we're like family. He doesn't need come work for us. Its a long ride, he’s much in demand. He doesn’t need us.

He knows that’s not me, nor him.

And you know - stuff does break!

Months back I said I wonder if it was an ex display model dropped one too many times in transit at airports. Whatever.

I’d like a new light please!

Phew!

Happiness is a new pair of fans….

I’ve tried every goddamn fan there is. I’ve decided that my preference for above plant fans are 6” oscillation fans with a great clip. I needed more. I always need more. 8 of my existing 9 are in the contest tent, only one on the Trizkit. She very rapidly outpacing a one fan situation. Thus I finally decided to try these after almost getting them several times. We’ll see. But they’re new if nothing else.

IMG_5628.jpeg

Happiness is a new pair of fans….

I’ve tried every goddamn fan there is. I’ve decided that my preference for above plant fans are 6” oscillation fans with a great clip. I needed more. I always need more. 8 of my existing 9 are in the contest tent, only one on the Trizkit. She very rapidly outpacing a one fan situation. Thus I finally decided to try these after almost getting them several times. We’ll see. But they’re new if nothing else.

IMG_5628.jpeg
nice fans Jon, are they the fancey blue tooth or wifi model controlable ones?

IMG_0375.jpeg
IMG_0376.jpeg
IMG_0377.jpeg
IMG_0378.jpeg

What the photos obvs can’t do justice to os the stench of it. Like you know that electrical burn smell? Its that but really sulfurous. It reeks.

Last night I asked Sparky leave it open but he sealed it back up. So 8 hex screws later (obvs & Co took that bit over) as soon as we cracked the seal this stench of burnt electrical popped out.

Its located where it is because its cooler and dryer than any tent. I think the case would have contained it and the power would have tripped. But you know? Something I’m glad it was never tested.

The manufacturer just replied with, “Why didn’t you tell me before?”

Uh dude - it wasn’t like that before but did tell you it was broken.

The panel is probably fine. Honestly? Send me a new full driver unit I’m OK. Replace the panel as well? That would be a nice touch. Just “belt and braces”

See what they come back with.

But there is zero possibility that was our fault.

Just nuts.

And 8 hex ones that were fiddly AF to get out!

Still - the low and slow weed smells great!

Silver linings, eh?

Nick

IMG_0375.jpeg
IMG_0376.jpeg
IMG_0377.jpeg
IMG_0378.jpeg

What the photos obvs can’t do justice to os the stench of it. Like you know that electrical burn smell? Its that but really sulfurous. It reeks.

Last night I asked Sparky leave it open but he sealed it back up. So 8 hex screws later (obvs & Co took that bit over) as soon as we cracked the seal this stench of burnt electrical popped out.

Its located where it is because its cooler and dryer than any tent. I think the case would have contained it and the power would have tripped. But you know? Something I’m glad it was never tested.

The manufacturer just replied with, “Why didn’t you tell me before?”

Uh dude - it wasn’t like that before but did tell you it was broken.

The panel is probably fine. Honestly? Send me a new full driver unit I’m OK. Replace the panel as well? That would be a nice touch. Just “belt and braces”

See what they come back with.

But there is zero possibility that was our fault.

Just nuts.

And 8 hex ones that were fiddly AF to get out!

Still - the low and slow weed smells great!

Silver linings, eh?

Nick
Do you mean to tell us that with everything else automated in your grow that you don’t have a Halon fire suppression system? I’m shocked kind Sir. lol Seriously though I’m just glad that you are Co. are safe. Pretty scary stuff there for sure. CL🍀

Do you mean to tell us that with everything else automated in your grow that you don’t have a Halon fire suppression system? I’m shocked kind Sir. lol Seriously though I’m just glad that you are Co. are safe. Pretty scary stuff there for sure. CL🍀
Ha - in theory I could open all the Co2 tanks and suppress the fire but like Halon we’d all die of lack of oxygen!

I dunno. Think it would have been OK. It was sealed pretty tight - the stench of burnt hadn’t escaped so semi air/water tight. I’m only pissed at the light company for not trusting me more. Now I’m sure they’ll sort it very quickly. Well I hope so!

Right now - family/house all good. And got some great smelling weed ready for trim

Some Very Large Things

Trizkit
, still fully female (yay) and stretching every day. This plant is simply immense. Not even halfway through the stretch but so far still manageable. Barely. Height is not an issue. But the amount of mass at the end of each branch is completely silly. We will have a serious defoliation session after the stretch.

Apple Fritter, possibly the weightiest auto I’ve ever grown, we will see. These buds are gigantic and dense as shit already. Also voluminous. We will have serious support issues in a week. But I wouldn’t be surprised if she comes in around 14 ounces. She’s beyond huge. I changed the res today and the roots are a huge, tangled mass of giganticness, proving the maxim once again: big roots = big fruits.

IMG_5632.jpeg

IMG_5636.jpeg

IMG_5634.jpeg

IMG_5635.jpeg

Some Very Large Things

Trizkit
, still fully female (yay) and stretching every day. This plant is simply immense. Not even halfway through the stretch but so far still manageable. Barely. Height is not an issue. But the amount of mass at the end of each branch is completely silly. We will have a serious defoliation session after the stretch.

Apple Fritter, possibly the weightiest auto I’ve ever grown, we will see. These buds are gigantic and dense as shit already. Also voluminous. We will have serious support issues in a week. But I wouldn’t be surprised if she comes in around 14 ounces. She’s beyond huge. I changed the res today and the roots are a huge, tangled mass of giganticness, proving the maxim once again: big roots = big fruits.

IMG_5632.jpeg

IMG_5636.jpeg

IMG_5634.jpeg

IMG_5635.jpeg
Now that’s what a proper tent should look 👀 like 👍. Very impressive work Jon and I salute your efforts. Things are getting interesting now. CL🍀. :thumb: :welldone::drool:

More very large things….

This is the stem of the Trizkit. Used the closest thing I found for the scale shot, but it’s way bigger than the lighter I was gonna use. This seriously makes me laugh out loud every time I look at it.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

IMG_5637.jpeg

IMG_5638.jpeg

The blades are being sharpened. Sadly the ultrasonic water cleaner for the trim blades I bought for & Co's birthday present hasn't arrived yet so she'll have to rely on good old iso propyl, but its not her birthday until June anyway...

I'm not sure how many she has, 4 maybe including her? That means probably late Thursday our time, 11 hours ahead of Boston time so lunchtime at Fenway.

Nick

The blades are being sharpened. Sadly the ultrasonic water cleaner for the trim blades I bought for & Co's birthday present hasn't arrived yet so she'll have to rely on good old iso propyl, but its not her birthday until June anyway...

I'm not sure how many she has, 4 maybe including her? That means probably late Thursday our time, 11 hours ahead of Boston time so lunchtime at Fenway.

Nick
You got a picture of this new fangled ultra sonic water cleaner for trim blades? Or a link? This is gotta see.

Back
Top Bottom