BendBender's 1st Grow!

I have a small problem that I could use some help with...

The roots on several of the plants have tangled with each other and I will need to move some of them to a new DWC soon.

Is there a way to untangle the roots (Ive tried briefly but was afraid I damage the plants if I tore the roots) or should I cut them apart?

I also dialed back the nutes to about 970 PPM.,.. everything looks real healthy and all of the plants are growing (the Rhinos are almost 1 inch a day!)

thanks for any advice guys... more pics soon.

I have a small problem that I could use some help with...

The roots on several of the plants have tangled with each other and I will need to move some of them to a new DWC soon.

Is there a way to untangle the roots (Ive tried briefly but was afraid I damage the plants if I tore the roots) or should I cut them apart?

I also dialed back the nutes to about 970 PPM.,.. everything looks real healthy and all of the plants are growing (the Rhinos are almost 1 inch a day!)

thanks for any advice guys... more pics soon.

There is no way to untangle them without that disgusting tearing sound if there are a lot of them. The best way is to cut them. Naturally try to cut as few as possible and do it as far down as possible. You may find it's best to aim the scissors downward (business end down) and cut the stem of the "Y" where they are joined (if that makes any sense.

Keep in mind this will naturally stress the plants a bit but at this stage it won't be too noticeable as far as slowing things down.

As for the nutes and charts...Looking at the blue chart you posted it seems it has larger gaps in the different stages of the mixing. The chart we use has more gradual changes (ppm) and is essentially the same as what you are now doing by cutting back by a percentage. So you are probably mixing, on our chart, Week 2.

Glad to hear they are perking up.

Got an update... reduced the mix again to 950 PPM and the tips are looking better...

the White Rhinos are taking off real nice... HUGE Roots, HUGE Leaves
SANY02131.JPG

SANY0214.JPG

The Next photo is of one of the marshmallows... still small and sickly... looks like this strain may not make the cut....
SANY02151.JPG

And the 2 Purple Kush... real fat leaves on this strain... one looks good, the other still growing slow (It never did look right from the time i cloned it)
SANY02161.JPG

SANY0217.JPG

SANY0218.JPG

I started separating the roots yesterday... had to just pinch some of them apart, they were so twisted together.... plants seem a bit strained by it but it needed to be done.... everything in the DWC seems very healthy and smells like fresh hay... very clean.

White Rhino is looking great bend.

As for the other stuff they are still alive. How are the roots? Are they white and plentiful with no smell? If so all is well with them too.

Glad to see things are going well. Good job.

Although its not recommended to have tangled roots... it sometimes isn't bad to have them tangled i have read. if they were outside they potentially would tangle with other plants too and sometimes they can lead to better results. believe it or not but it was in the encyclopedia that pops up when you google lol. any whoot i love the setup and it has given me ideas on what to do with my window to better serve my needs. plants look nice

idk how to put a link to my grow but you will have to check it out!

Skoots - Roots are VERY healthy. Smell is very fresh and are white with lots of little hairs on them. Im changing water every 5 days.

stank - Thanks for the kind words and checking out my grow, I am planning on moving some of the plants to another DWC soon so I wanted to untangle them. Also one of the plants' roots were twisted all the way up to the net pots so I thought that might be hard on them. I checked out your pics... those things look awesome bro! congrats.

If you need any help on the venting thing let me know

Jeez for your sake I hope not Franki II because as you know she was a beast. Although I do see the same results as Franki as far as yield. I can see a HUGE crop from your White Rhino. The leaves you have are HUGE and the plant looks low and compact which is much more reminiscent to our White Castle (sliders) grow we just harvested. Only I see you getting quite a bit more from yours then we got from out last harvest.

damn thing is 1 month old today and the leaves are bigger than my hand!

Whaddya think skoots... Franki II? LOL

hey zepplin - thanks for the encouragement and watching the grow. I like your sig about pot vs. alcohol bro.

Plants are starting to drink a lot of water now.

Although its not recommended to have tangled roots... it sometimes isn't bad to have them tangled i have read. if they were outside they potentially would tangle with other plants too and sometimes they can lead to better results. believe it or not but it was in the encyclopedia that pops up when you google lol. any whoot i love the setup and it has given me ideas on what to do with my window to better serve my needs. plants look nice

idk how to put a link to my grow but you will have to check it out!

We never have a problem with tangled roots.
This is how our roots look at harvest time. But we usually pack 15 of us clowns in a VW bug.
09_Roots_of_all_evil.JPG

LOL... I have a question... Does it get hot in those masks all day?

Went to the grow store today and got another hood (used for 50% off) and a used 365 CFM fan for $50.00.

I built one of the hard-sided cabinet and it went together well except for the doors. Gonna be finishing it here today or Saturday. pics are-a-coming.

Franki II is gRoWiNg!!!!!!

Oki Doki... Week 5 is going fairly well... got some weird looking tips on the white rhinos (got too close to the lights last week and got burned) but they are going like gangbusters on their first week of flowering mix (about 850 PPM) and 12/12 lights....

SANY0219.JPG

SANY02201.JPG

SANY02211.JPG

And here are a couple of the purple Kush (on Left) and the gangly litttle Marshmallows (on right). the Kush's leaves are a bit wrinkled... dont know why... I sprinkle them with some water twice a day (tap water, PH is 8.3)... they are still running 18/6 with week 3 of grow nutes (about 950 PPM)

SANY02241.JPG

SANY0223.JPG

Some pics of one of the new wood-sided cabinets... Im a suck-ass carpenter but it is working well.... I bought a used centrifugal 365 CFM fan... it went right on to my carbon filter and the I attached that directly to the roof of the cabinet. These cabinets will keep my landlord's nosey ass out of my grow (no more tearing everything down when they come over to inspect)...

sorry the pics suck... my camera wont zoom out any more.

SANY02271.JPG

SANY02261.JPG

Comments are as always eagerly welcomed!:slide:

thanks

Bender

Well all of the vents are on top and the cabinet is 7' tall. I'll just have to take down the vents and the window thing vent and hide them. Ill then use Ona Gel and lock the cabinets so they cant look in there. The plan is to tell them they are for storage and thats the end of it. Usually I wouldnt even care about it but the management company for the landlord are real uptight sticklers... which sucks for me. But, These cabinets should solve the problem.

Im also thinking/pricing building a 8' X 16' shed in the yard so I can really grow a lot without any disruption at all.

Hey Skoots...

Got a really dumb question that I have been putting off for a while because Ill look like a total nOOb..

When I add water, Do I add nutes to maintain my PPM that I currently have been maintaining since the last drain/refill? If so, do I add the nutes to the water That Im adding to the tank or just add everything to the tank after its been topped off with water?

Another Question....
The 2 white rhinos are growing really fast and drinking about 1.5 gallons of water a day. they are starting to stretch a bit but haven't started to flower at all yet (just very small shoots at the stem roots). they are at week 4 of the GH nutes flowering schedule (after the refill running at about 350PPM - down from about 850PPM) and 12 hours a day of light (for the last week). Is this sound normal? Should I put more aggressive flowering nutes in or just stay on the schedule?

The other 4 plants (2 Purple Kush and 2 Marshmallow) are doing pretty well and Im thinking Im going to start flowering them.

Let me know if you need pics to see whats going on to answer the questions properly...

thanks a bunch :thanks:

Bendy

Back
Top Bottom