Bill C-45: Canada's Legalization, The Drama Revs Up

It wouldn't be the end of the world if the Senate sent C-45 and C-46 back to the house. But I doubt any positive changes to the bills would happen, at least from my point of view.

We need this to pass. If it got kicked back, aside from a major delay, anything they do to it won't be good. The Conservatives are showing their true colours here & they are not - and never will be - pro-cannabis.

Ian

The quote from OLD SALT needs a clarification. OLD SALT said, "They will be able to have up to 30 grams in their possession while in public". What is not stated is that the police will be able to harass who they want about the source of their cannabis. How do they know if it is legal (LP sourced) or grey/black market? I expect this will let them continue the disproportionate hassling or jailing of visible minorities. This includes the poor.

Buy once from a legal source, then get refills from the black market. LEO will have a very difficult time proving it's illegal unless they catch you buying it.

I've always carried in an Altoids tin (at least since becoming legal med user), never in the "approved" container from my LP. Those plastic bottles and containers don't fit in your pocket very well :)

I haven't seen any requirement yet for legal rec pot to be carried in an approved LP container...

Now that I'm growing my own, I guess it doesn't matter... as my own LP, MY approved container is officially an Altoids Tin! :)

Now that I'm growing my own, I guess it doesn't matter... as my own LP, MY approved container is officially an Altoids Tin! :)

:ganjamon:

Ian

It passed 44-29. On to committee . . . :D

Ian

Let me clarify.

I am talking about recreational cannabis.

The police will be able to question the source of your cannabis. This will happen to the visible minorities and poor most often. It may happen if you have attitude with the cops.

What needs to be understood is that, at the OFFICER'S DISCRETION, they may detain you while they investigate (there are ways to drag this out), or confiscate the cannabis on suspicion that it is not "legal".

This is about power, not law. Good luck filing a complaint if a cop detains you for 10 or 15 minutes while they investigate. If your stash is confiscated, you probably have to go down to the police station to get it back. Police can concoct any number of stories to justify their actions, and minor police transgressions of the law get the benefit of doubt.

If they do take your stash, how much trouble are you willing to go through to get it back? I'm not going down to the central police headquarters to get 2 joints back. 30 grams is different. But YOU still have to jump through the hoops. They get paid to do it.

The police have kept these oppressive tools in the name of legal cannabis.

The Government wants to take over the cannabis market in this country and is more than willing to use the police to accomplish it. The police are more than willing to help, as long as they get more funding.

Prohibition 2.0

Peace :peace:

This is how the Conservatives will manage cannabis going forward too.

So in theory, lets say you know someone who doesn't smoke, but is willing to grow 4 plants for you in their garden... Well, you have your 4 plants, plus you take care of your plants at their place too... Once harvested, they can gift it all back to you, one ounce at a time.

All legal! :peace:

So in theory, lets say you know someone who doesn't smoke, but is willing to grow 4 plants for you in their garden... Well, you have your 4 plants, plus you take care of your plants at their place too... Once harvested, they can gift it all back to you, one ounce at a time.

All legal! :peace:

There's only one problem with that, or perhaps more - neighbors too lazy to grow their own. I don't think outdoor growers in municipalities will be able to harvest their crops.

We actually haven't heard much about legal growing other than the 4 plant limit since the gov't removed the Fed height limit. AB is restricted to indoors & a max of 100 centimeters & Quebec & MB are no-grow. The municipalities will undoubtedly stick their nose in it with outdoor restrictions on height, fencing, visibility etc etc. We don't have a long enough season for monster outdoor Sativas anyway.

Ian

Most of the pot I've been buying for the last couple years was grown outside here (GTA area). I also know that there have been problems with bud rot when the big rains start before harvest...
I prefer indoor for growing myself, the only real issue there is heat in the summer... Still expecting to have to shut down for a couple months. Our apartment building is old, and the spare bedroom has only one electrical outlet, and I've got 2 x 400w lights plus my led veg light, so don't think the circuit will take an air conditioner as well... I guess the biggest factor will be whether I can get far enough ahead to stop for a while... :) I'm tryin!

Worst thing about outdoors here is, falls are short and tend to be very wet. Hell our summers are hit or miss too.
Sounds like Nova Scotia. One of our summers was three days in May.

...I prefer indoor for growing myself, the only real issue there is heat in the summer... Still expecting to have to shut down for a couple months...

I grow indoors as well. The extra plants and year round growing are my main reasons for this. In winter I grow in the dining room, and during the summer in the basement. Our basement just has outdoor access. My lighting is all LED to avoid the heat.

Sounds like Nova Scotia. One of our summers was three days in May.
Phase 2 complete as far as I'm concerned. Tabling the bill, and now having it pass Senate......not by a little either. Legalization inches forward for everyone by yet another day. 420 on parliament hill should be pretty interesting this year.
LMAO.......hey I Just noticed your current grows. I've got 2 Cks crown royales currently at day 50 of flower....stop by!

LoL

From Tom Angell's Marijuana Moment:

The Health Canada Document is an interesting read.

7 Cannabis for Medical Purposes
7.1 Overview of Proposal
Consistent with the advice of the Task Force on Cannabis Legalization and Regulation, the consultation paper proposed that a distinct system would be maintained to provide patients with reasonable access to cannabis for medical purposes. The proposed regulations would continue to enable individuals who have the support of their healthcare practitioner (including those under 18 years of age) to access cannabis for medical purposes by:

• purchasing from a federally-licensed seller of cannabis for medical purposes;
  • cultivating their own cannabis, if over the age of 18 (personal production); or
  • designating someone to grow cannabis on their behalf (designated production).
The consultation paper proposed that the medical access regulatory framework would remain substantively the same as it currently exists, with certain adjustments to: create consistency with rules for cannabis for non-medical purposes, improve patient access, and reduce the risk of abuse of the system.

7.2 What We Heard
In general, respondents to the consultation expressed support for the proposed regulatory approach to provide access to cannabis for medical purposes under the proposed Cannabis Act. In particular, respondents were supportive of the proposed adjustments to improve patient access, namely allowing individuals to transfer their valid medical document to a different federally-licensed seller of cannabis for medical purposes, and that registrations would begin on the date of initial registration and not on the date the medical document was signed by their health care practitioner, as is currently the case.

Some participants in the consultation raised specific topics, including recommending that cannabis for medical purposes should be treated like other approved health products and drugs and have some type of Health Canada approval so that it would be eligible for coverage under private health plans; that it should be accessible through other distribution means than the current system of secure ordering online and delivery by mail or by courier, such as through pharmacies; and that cannabis for medical purposes should not have to display mandatory health warning messages.

Health Canada appreciates the feedback that it has received from respondents on the regulatory proposals. Consistent with the advice of the Task Force on Cannabis Legalization and Regulation, the Government of Canada has committed to monitor and evaluate patients’ reasonable access to cannabis for medical purposes during the implementation of the proposed Cannabis Act, and evaluate the medical access framework within five years of the coming into force of the legislation.

As part of their response to the Health Canada consultation, many stakeholders took the opportunity to voice their opinion on a proposal to apply an excise duty to all cannabis products in Canada that was made as part of a separate consultation process conducted by the Department of Finance in the fall of 2017. Most respondents to the Health Canada consultation did not support applying an excise duty to cannabis sold for medical purposes, and also argued that cannabis for medical purposes should be exempt from the federal Goods and Services Tax (GST).

As announced in Budget 2018, the excise duty framework will generally apply to cannabis products that contain THC, the primary psychoactive compound of cannabis. Recognizing the non-addictive, potentially therapeutic role of low-THC cannabis oils, products that contain low amounts of THC will generally not be subject to the excise duty. Pharmaceutical products derived from cannabis will also be exempt, provided that the cannabis product has a Drug Identification Number and can only be acquired through a prescription.

We actually haven't heard much about legal growing other than the 4 plant limit since the gov't removed the Fed height limit. AB is restricted to indoors & a max of 100 centimeters & Quebec & MB are no-grow. The municipalities will undoubtedly stick their nose in it with outdoor restrictions on height, fencing, visibility etc etc. We don't have a long enough season for monster outdoor Sativas anyway.

Ian

Where do you still the 100cm restriction for Alberta? I don't see it any where in the framework?

Back
Top Bottom