Breaking Brix: Buck's DIYs

Phosphorus uptake is temperature dependent. If your temps are too cold, purple stems and petioles will result. Simple as that.

Thought is was phosphorus, but didn't want to make a claim without proof. So... because I am a hydro guy and my water temperatures were the same... could that be the reason that I did not see purple in those greens I got in the cold temperatures?

Yea Doc, I think I'm going to put some hardboard insulation on walls. My air temps aren't bad now but think I'm getting a cold draft. This chamber is on exterior basement wall. I just built this chamber back in summer, first winter using it. I'll finish the flor out in 2" and put 1" on walls, then tape the seems. It's warning up it's up to 10 degrees this morning.

I scratched in some roots, and gave little ones a taste of tea and trans. So far the results have been great. I'm starting to feel more comfortable with kit and trying to use my gut feeling again. I may need to start using destress, haven't used much at all.

The zkittles girl is very vigorous, she's growing good, I believe she's hooked up with soil it's the cold drafts that's giving me the purple.

I think my biggest problem is when I switched to kit I changed up the way I do plants in veg. Just a few little differences. But I'm learning so that's the most important thing

✌️.❤️

Yea Doc, I think I'm going to put some hardboard insulation on walls. My air temps aren't bad now but think I'm getting a cold draft. This chamber is on exterior basement wall. I just built this chamber back in summer, first winter using it. I'll finish the flor out in 2" and put 1" on walls, then tape the seems. It's warning up it's up to 10 degrees this morning.

I scratched in some roots, and gave little ones a taste of tea and trans. So far the results have been great. I'm starting to feel more comfortable with kit and trying to use my gut feeling again. I may need to start using destress, haven't used much at all.

The zkittles girl is very vigorous, she's growing good, I believe she's hooked up with soil it's the cold drafts that's giving me the purple.

I think my biggest problem is when I switched to kit I changed up the way I do plants in veg. Just a few little differences. But I'm learning so that's the most important thing

✌️.❤️

Man it sounds like a heat wave! A whole 10 degrees huh? :rofl::rofl: It got to 23 here yesterday for the first time in like 2 weeks. Today we are expected to get this nasty blizzard and then record setting cold temps once it passes. It sounds like it is going to be a terrible weekend.

Man it sounds like a heat wave! A whole 10 degrees huh? :rofl::rofl: It got to 23 here yesterday for the first time in like 2 weeks. Today we are expected to get this nasty blizzard and then record setting cold temps once it passes. It sounds like it is going to be a terrible weekend.

65 here yesterday lol. I'm actually glad I'm back in Cali.

65 here yesterday lol. I'm actually glad I'm back in Cali.
Yeah I would love to have it be in the 60s right about now. Only 3 more months and I may see temps like that. Unless its like last year... Then it will be 4 more months or more. We were still getting frosts until the end of May last year WTF
It's gonna get up to 20 today then back in single digits tomorrow, gonna be a rough weekend
Yeah it is warmer today than I anticipated but then again it usually doesnt snow when it is too cold here so it makes sense that its 21 right now.

I can't figure why I can't get a dark green color on this girl. Her leaves are standing straight up, she's growing over an inch a day. It's weird now, maybe it'll come, just may take few more days
abfeecb90be20413b160be127713be65.jpg
db2c88677f6d5e55d7eb868a08a05afd.jpg

I can't figure why I can't get a dark green color on this girl. Her leaves are standing straight up, she's growing over an inch a day. It's weird now, maybe it'll come, just may take few more days
abfeecb90be20413b160be127713be65.jpg
db2c88677f6d5e55d7eb868a08a05afd.jpg

All the environmental stress you've been sharing lately is why the plant is struggling. Simple as that.

I've said this hundreds of times, but it bears repeating.

The 4 most important factors for a successful grow, in order of importance are:

1. environment
2. environment
3. environment
4. basic gardening skills.

Yep, now the new growth has a shinier green, looks to be doing much better.
1f6d4a9f94c9a7e9aa61f1936955f7d5.jpg
. It's 7 degrees out now. But my flower room is staying pretty good with temps. I'm beginning to think I have a cold draft coming from somewhere. I'll re-insulate chamber this weekend.

Air temps are 82, but when I shoot exterior wall with IR temp gun it reads 57. I gotta eliminate that very soon. The flower girls are blowing up
8b2668a9ff88e2270e52d8b4d9c93911.jpg
0db104037392d754404efbea0d1aeec6.jpg

I'd almost ditch the old growth purple. Just me. I'm into torture when it gets to that point.

What I meant to say was ditch all the big fan leafs and torture it with the small leaves. Bend it over. Pull the top to the bottom. But that's just cuz I'm a jerk.

I was just suggesting some LST, but what Doc said. I said I was ordering parts the other day, but instead chopped down huge bushes 10' tall in my friends yard. What I need your help on and graytail's is I think I want to build exactly what you got in your flower room. What I need are, Samsung what? In your veg room you got those other boards and it looks like you have three channels on it? far red strip, blue, and white? I also need a 2' x 4' veg area and was thinking of just doing all vero 29's. So I need help with mimicking your bloom room, and know if there is anything you would change on it, what it was. I figure nine boards surrounded by the 29's. What is the spread of light distance from the boards. i'm confused on how we were all trying to be 12" on center with the 3590's and other chips, but what a bout the boards? Also, I'm running out of cash quick.

Here's a limb off of a mothers milk/ starfighter cross. I tortured these girls, got them all outta wack. I finally got them back on track, everything has a nice healthy shiny green look again. Even the texture is back to normal. The purple stems are going back to green.
a5fcf48abf13a4b390bf6ca464a89301.jpg

It's funny they stay pretty healthy if I can check on them more often. Even the next round is doing good after the cold spell, I'm still low on humidity in one room. There's a huge difference between 2 flower rooms, with 40% or higher RH the girls are very happy. Other room is 20-30% RH, they are ok, but not like 1st room.
a1b9d770894502c99f5ee0805bf824e7.jpg
This one hated the cold

I was just suggesting some LST, but what Doc said. I said I was ordering parts the other day, but instead chopped down huge bushes 10' tall in my friends yard. What I need your help on and graytail's is I think I want to build exactly what you got in your flower room. What I need are, Samsung what? In your veg room you got those other boards and it looks like you have three channels on it? far red strip, blue, and white? I also need a 2' x 4' veg area and was thinking of just doing all vero 29's. So I need help with mimicking your bloom room, and know if there is anything you would change on it, what it was. I figure nine boards surrounded by the 29's. What is the spread of light distance from the boards. i'm confused on how we were all trying to be 12" on center with the 3590's and other chips, but what a bout the boards? Also, I'm running out of cash quick.

The veros or cxb 3590's will do great for veg or flower. Greytail has a great hookup on the boards. I'm pretty sure you can get multiple colors or channels and pretty much copy my chilled boards with the 4 color channels (2-white,1-red, 1-blue)

I'm very happy with mine. The only thing I'm curious about is if maybe I should have used 54 volt or 72 volt veros instead of 38. With vero, to be most efficient, need to be 54 or 72volt driven at a lower current. 1400 or maybe 1050. The 38v is best at 2100, 1750 does good too. I need to order some and put a small frame together for a 3x3 tent.

I'm thinking the boards yeti and greytail got are best value for $. Same exact samsungs diodes that quantum boards use for a third of the price.

What size area are you gonna use for flower?
You'll get buy pretty reasonable on building a veg light. Maybe some 5k and 4k mix, veros are heavier on the reds. A 4k vero is equal to a 3500k Cree cxb3590. I want to compare the Cree, wish I didn't sell most of my 3590's, had almost 50 chips that I got for doing a couple construction jobs. Sales rep gave them to me for buying lighting package from them. Everyone else takes the free vacations I took cobs lmao .

The 304 diode panels I'm using are under $30 a pop right now, including shipping, and you can run two on a driver, which are around $50 each. You'll also need heatsinks. I used the HLG ones for the bloom room, but they've gotten pretty expensive, so for veg I went with only 128 diodes per board so I can run them up to 50 watts without sinks. I can get another of those boards for the cost of a sink, so at that price I just went all in and stuffed each space with them, 14 in bloom (700W) and 12 in veg (300W). :cheesygrinsmiley: Oh, and the 128 diode boards are only 48 volts, so you can run 5-6 on a driver - cheaper and easier.

I haven't seen a design from them yet with multiple spectrums, but that wouldn't be my choice anyway. If I want another spectrum I'll have strips made for that. I don't want everything on one board. This tech is advancing quickly - best to be flexible.

:Namaste:

The 304 diode panels I'm using are under $30 a pop right now, including shipping, and you can run two on a driver, which are around $50 each. You'll also need heatsinks. I used the HLG ones for the bloom room, but they've gotten pretty expensive, so for veg I went with only 128 diodes per board so I can run them up to 50 watts without sinks. I can get another of those boards for the cost of a sink, so at that price I just went all in and stuffed each space with them, 14 in bloom (700W) and 12 in veg (300W). :cheesygrinsmiley: Oh, and the 128 diode boards are only 48 volts, so you can run 5-6 on a driver - cheaper and easier.

I haven't seen a design from them yet with multiple spectrums, but that wouldn't be my choice anyway. If I want another spectrum I'll have strips made for that. I don't want everything on one board. This tech is advancing quickly - best to be flexible.

:Namaste:
Incoming pm!

In my case the multiple channels are doing great, but I'm using a controller, my spectrum changes throughout the day. Also I'm doing sunrise and sunset. With my sunset I'm doing 15 mins of far red, they go from perky to sleeping instantly. Kinda cool to watch. The biggest downside is, this light isn't too affordable, but it has some power. Can adjust ppfd to anything up to 2000 at 18"

Don't buy the heatsinks from hlg, can use sheet of aluminum 1/4 or 1/2 thick. You can buy really cheap from metal shop, don't try to buy at lowes too damn expensive

Back
Top Bottom