Brightlight's Strain Fest: Organics & LED

re: Brightlight's Strain Fest - Organics & LED

Hey :love: Took a look at your NL x BB auto and don't think it was stress related. I did transplant mine as well in a bigger pot (probably mistake) but no noticeable delay in growth. As a seedling it also grew very fast, till one point where it kinda stopped. I am starting to believe it has something to do with outside growing conditions (cloudy days, shade during parts of the day etc) and this things can't be helped. I think it looked gorgeous and I hope mine will look half as beautiful as well.

:circle-of-love:

Congrats Bright lights...

HAHA , thank you Brightlight. welcome!!!:)

May I ask why you use a Chinese word to be your avatar ? :circle-of-love:

Welcome Twilight LED. Took a quick look at your website. Wow, so many models! I'm going to go back & read about them in more detail. Enjoy keeping up with LED's.

HAHA , thank you Brightlight. welcome!!!:)

May I ask why you use a Chinese word to be your avatar ? :circle-of-love:

i hope its a word that means something else to what you believe it to be lol

i hope its a word that means something else to what you believe it to be lol

When I saw the Chinese character for cannabis that depicted plants hanging upside down to dry, I got a kick out of knowing that drying methods haven't changed in thousands of years. Here is oldest known character from ~1200 BC that depicts the plants drying. My avatar is just a more modern script of same character.
oldest_character.jpg

Hi Rad. I went w/ 2 gal. hoping it would be large enough for ~2' plant. Worked out good. Easy to lift in & out of tent too. 3 gal. would be good for slightly larger, maybe 4 plants instead of 6. They are the mid grade (gray) Root Pouch. Got such a good price I could even throw them out each time. From greenhousemegastore.com

Awesome roots.

My 1/2gal was too full.
My 5gal was too empty.
Your 2 gal was just right!

Hey :love: Took a look at your NL x BB auto and don't think it was stress related. I did transplant mine as well in a bigger pot (probably mistake) but no noticeable delay in growth. As a seedling it also grew very fast, till one point where it kinda stopped. I am starting to believe it has something to do with outside growing conditions (cloudy days, shade during parts of the day etc) and this things can't be helped. I think it looked gorgeous and I hope mine will look half as beautiful as well.

:circle-of-love:

Welcome daTenshi! Glad you dropped by. Ha, you are too kind. It was kinda scruffy looking. BAR requested a harvested pic so I'll post a couple soon.

Wow, Brightlight, sounds like you learn about the Chinese lecture very much. haha :bravo:

When I saw the Chinese character for cannabis that depicted plants hanging upside down to dry, I got a kick out of knowing that drying methods haven't changed in thousands of years. Here is oldest known character from ~1200 BC that depicts the plants drying. My avatar is just a more modern script of same character.
oldest_character.jpg

Hi G-daddy. Welcome & glad you are here! Did your seeds arrive yet? I finally got a resend of a batch that was originally confiscated by customs. 1st time that happened.
Glad you got a resend on your order, still waiting for mine. Hoping it's not much longer. I decided to pop my last fem seed I had she is a Trainwreck and I popped one of the Cali bag seed my buddy brought back and I have 1 clone from my Blueberry so I have something to play with while I wait for my new seeds. Good luck :peace:

Great :hookah::popcorn:

haha i bet you are shocked twilight lol :)

Outdoor plants all in early flowering. Average height 5'+ & still growing. I germinated seeds 2 wks. later than usual to control height & size, but didn't make a difference.

From L to R, Lost Coast OG, Cheesedog, & Jamaican OG.
IMG_056221.jpg

818 Headband on L, a smaller Cheesedog on R.
IMG_056925.jpg

Soil Mix
I buy commercial bags of soil & add ingredients to it. One that I use regularly is Royal Gold Mendo Mix. Each yr. I try a couple of new ones. The new ones this year are Santuary's Empire Builder, Dr. Earth's Motherland Mix, & E.B. Stone's Recipe 420. Outdoors I find peat based soils are best, some peat/coco blends are fine, pure coco mixes are least preferred. The Recipe 420 was a free sample from E.B. Stone rep. Tried it with a new strain & a familiar strain. I can tell this soil is a keeper except it's mostly sold at regular nurseries who jack up prices & seldom discount.

I add most/all of the following to the bagged mixes:
Dolomite lime
Gypsum
Soft Rock Phosphate
Bone Meal
Greensand
Azomite
Sul Po Mag (langbeinite)
Alfalfa meal
Cottonseed meal
Feather meal
Mycorrhizae
Azos (N fixing bacteria)
Bat guano
Worm castings
Perlite
Kelp meal

Other optional ingredients:
Manteca River Loam (rich native soil from Central Valley)
EB Stone Bulb Food
EB Stone Sure Start
EB Stone Ultra Bloom
Humic Acid (solid form)
Insect Frass

Water
I use tap water, but through a hose end charcoal filter. Additionally, I add drops of dechlorinating liquid to further remove chloramines. Tap is ~pH 7.6, fairly hard.

pH
I rarely test pH. In this outdoor grow I first tested pH when plants were entering transition stage. A couple showed early N depletion at plant bottoms so I wanted to check to see if pH was within acceptable range. A major 10 day heat wave had me watering every day so I wondered if daily hard water might drive up pH? A couple were a little high...nearly 7. Most were ok at usual 6.6-6.8 range. Since it was time for a good N hit for all plants, I used cottonseed meal, a slow release N source that also reduces pH. Rechecked today w/ good results as all were lower, between 6.5 to 6.8.

I can understand the greater importance of pH in hydro or even soils when using synthetics, but still chuckle a little when I see so much well intended advice to check pH when a leaf is this or that. To each his/her own but I believe healthy plants can be grown without ongoing pH checking or fussing.

NLxBB auto
So so looking bud, not beautiful, not ugly. 12+ grams. Creeper mellow indica effect. Decent. Would like it more if it wasn't harvested on heels of recent indoor plants, which were better looking & much stronger. Still fun to grow my 1st. auto.
IMG_0553_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom