Bulldog1

bulldog1

420 Member
Hi, I am new here and new to trying to grow. I currently have 2 plants started from medical in which a friend gave me two seeds and they are female. My husband built a grow box and it has been working well. Using a LED Grow light and is about 30" away from plants. The pots have good drain holes and are sitting on a base that allows them to drain when watered. I didn't realize I should have pruned the plants and they are beginning to bud so guess that is now out of the question. One of the plants looks a lot healthier then the other. One of them the leaves are brown on the ends and I just noticed that the leaves on one of the umbrella's (it is what it looks like to me) is turning yellow. I also noticed that the soil is really strong smelling of cannibus….it that normal? I do have gnats but I also have the yellow sticky papers up catching them. The soil I am using is Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil. I have not added anything else to the soil. I water when almost dried out. Please give advise !

You can still prune as the plants flower, just pluck a few leaves daily that cover bud sites.

The yellowing of leaves could be multiple things.

As for the gnats, it's most likely from keeping your soil too moist and not letting it dry out properly between waterings.

Start a journal, give as much info as you can and people will show up to help out. Also visit others journals there are tons of great growers here and you can likely find a solution to any problem by using the search bar.

You can still prune as the plants flower, just pluck a few leaves daily that cover bud sites.

The yellowing of leaves could be multiple things.

As for the gnats, it's most likely from keeping your soil too moist and not letting it dry out properly between waterings.

Start a journal, give as much info as you can and people will show up to help out. Also visit others journals there are tons of great growers here and you can likely find a solution to any problem by using the search bar.

I will start a journal. The smelling of the soil is what is so strange. It smells like straight out skunk...Is that normal?

Welcome to 420 magazine Bulldod1
Do you have any pics, start that journal and help will arrive! Plus what you get now !
Here are some pics

Attachments

• 15472331699817361177928145589435.jpg
    15472331699817361177928145589435.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 15472331989951934069146013058216.jpg
    15472331989951934069146013058216.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 15472332108786524796850799803848.jpg
    15472332108786524796850799803848.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 34
How many hours of light a day are the plants getting? I'm guessing they are autoflowering plants?

I wouldn't do any thinning or pruning of the plants as they need everything they have on them.

For gnats, get a small oscillating fan and aim it across the top of the pot. They don't fly well so once they come up they won't be able to get back to the pot to reproduce.

How many hours of light a day are the plants getting? I'm guessing they are autoflowering plants?

I wouldn't do any thinning or pruning of the plants as they need everything they have on them.

For gnats, get a small oscillating fan and aim it across the top of the pot. They don't fly well so once they come up they won't be able to get back to the pot to reproduce.

they are getting 12/12 light/dark. I have no idea if they are autoflowering??? Someone I know gets medical and he gave me some seeds. Just for fun tried to see if I could grow them and so here I am. I will try the fan.

It sounds like you got a bag of FFOF that had been sitting in a warehouse or outside for a while and probably got wet. The gnats should be taken care of before they get out of hand, but I doubt that the smell of the soil is going to be a factor in the overall grow or in the eventual taste of the pot. What you are smelling is a natural organic rot, and that is what we ask our organic soils to do, to break down and release their goodness for the plants. It would be preferable not to have a rotten smell which indicates anaerobic bacteria which are not as desirable in our gardens, but if you are watering with tap water, the chlorine will eventually take care of this small problem for you. Get some diatomaceous earth or some nematodes to add to your soil and those bugs will not have a chance.

Have they always been in 12/12? That would explain why they went into flower. Regular cannabis plants (what we call "photoperiod" or "photo") will go into flower indoors when the lights are 12/12. So yours flowered as soon as they could, based on maturity! You can extend the growth period of a photo by keeping the lighting schedule closer to 18/6 or 20/4. They will continue growing without flowering (called "vegetative growth" or "veg") until you decide to send them into flower (or "flip them") by changing the lighting to 12/12.

Autoflower plants (or "autos") will go into flower in any light schedule when they decide it's time. Most people keep them at 18/6 or 20/4 their entire lives.

Have they always been in 12/12? That would explain why they went into flower. Regular cannabis plants (what we call "photoperiod" or "photo") will go into flower indoors when the lights are 12/12. So yours flowered as soon as they could, based on maturity! You can extend the growth period of a photo by keeping the lighting schedule closer to 18/6 or 20/4. They will continue growing without flowering (called "vegetative growth" or "veg") until you decide to send them into flower (or "flip them") by changing the lighting to 12/12.

Autoflower plants (or "autos") will go into flower in any light schedule when they decide it's time. Most people keep them at 18/6 or 20/4 their entire lives.

at the chance of sounding dumb..18 light or dark??? Someone told me that if I give them more light they will turn into male plants???

at the chance of sounding dumb..18 light or dark??? Someone told me that if I give them more light they will turn into male plants???
No it’s called a veg cycle , and what I can see with that burple light they look like Female

Sorry, light hours come first. 18/6 would be 18 hours of light and 6 hours of dark. You can't change the lighting schedule now because they're already in flower. These plants will ride out their days in 12/12. Lighting schedule information is for your next grow. Because you will probably want a next grow!

Back
Top Bottom