Can and should I start defoliation?

Terpygenetics

As you can see in the picture below my plants are just starting to recover from a N toxicity. They had the claw. When would it be safe to defoliate? I would like to take off where my finger is and down. Those leaves don’t seem to be getting any light down there. And I ordered another light should be here sat.
3C3C73B3-94F2-4C45-AC17-CADB01FCB2C4.jpeg

Na not really worth it at that stage of growth.

They are still getting some light down their once the diminishing returns of light over distance is understood, totally looks fine :thumb:

If you was training a plant like so then a little defol may help.

Other wise it is normally practiced in flowering, I like to defol in the last few weeks of flowering but that is just me.

You will find many opinions on this matter at hand with conflicting ideas & it is totally up to you how you choose to grow your plants :green_heart:

I'd leave them for now and let the plant leach nutrients from them if she goes hungry.
You can still take them off before flowering if you'd like because the first few nodes won't produce much.
They'd make some decent clones though. As mentioned above if you do some training it'll pay off.

consider this : defoliate in week 4 of veg (heavy) then just before transition stage and the last time week 4 of flower (heavy) consider this: when defoliating ----- the space defoilated needs to be 2's (twice) the size of the leave you are removing would not defo the plant you have posted

Another rule of thumb when thinning is to look down the plant from above. If you can see the soil, you've taken too much! Photons should be hitting leaves not dirt (or the tent floor). Wasted light, wasted electricity, wasted opportunity.
I do that myself so you can see the light pentration - that's a very good way and it makes sense. didn't think anyone else did this (stand over the plant in the center and look down then you will see the leaves that are not getting light, generally one end's up defoing a few leaves here and there) More Light = Bigger Buds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

piss poor analogy

as a marathon runner I closely monitor weight, got a race coming up and debating whether to cut my feet off or not? It would sure make me lighter….

defol is one tool in the toolkit for a bushy monster, so is repositioning leaves, don’t forget lst, or scrog. Not all defol is bad but if yer growing plants might want to keep them there solar panels, nutrient storage silos, food collectors, devices used for plant transpiration working on your behalf

nutes are like vitamin pills but light is their food

piss poor analogy

as a marathon runner I closely monitor weight, got a race coming up and debating whether to cut my feet off or not? It would sure make me lighter….

defol is one tool in the toolkit for a bushy monster, so is repositioning leaves, don’t forget lst, or scrog. Not all defol is bad but if yer growing plants might want to keep them there solar panels, nutrient storage silos, food collectors, devices used for plant transpiration working on your behalf

nutes are like vitamin pills but light is their food
Each strain is different when it comes to defoliation Indica's can get very big fan leaves some sativa's grow with little or no defoliation (you find this with "true" landrance strains) (100% sativa's)_

Hey Terpy,

I wanted to apologize, the comment wasn’t directed at you specifically just a general note of interest. I wasn’t trying to be a total smart ass there…. maybe a junior smart ass in training! Ha ha anyway she’s a good looking chick just be patient…
indication of a good member - an apologize Now to solve the world problems: " Drop Seeds NOT Bombs

As you can see in the picture below my plants are just starting to recover from a N toxicity. They had the claw. When would it be safe to defoliate? I would like to take off where my finger is and down. Those leaves don’t seem to be getting any light down there. And I ordered another light should be here sat.
3C3C73B3-94F2-4C45-AC17-CADB01FCB2C4.jpeg
Since leaves provide nutrients to the plant, my advice is to defoliate only leaves that shade too much of the growing tips, or look like they are crowding out other plants in the tent. BTW, don't toss them out. Dry them and grind them up for cooking herbs. I cut off the stems (petioles?), as they are too fibrous. Waste not, want not.

Since leaves provide nutrients to the plant, my advice is to defoliate only leaves that shade too much of the growing tips, or look like they are crowding out other plants in the tent. BTW, don't toss them out. Dry them and grind them up for cooking herbs. I cut off the stems (petioles?), as they are too fibrous. Waste not, want not.
My leaves been having a N toxicity for almost a month now they are clawing. Is there any way to fix this. I’ve been trying to ride it out but no luck.
0D548A51-9901-4A0E-9BA8-F9959EAB3A42.jpeg
3B753C2A-1088-470D-9305-13A7C045D47D.jpeg

That looks like it's all part and parcel of the curly droopy leaf issue .
ok it was worse last week. I just saw the leave tips folding down and shiny leaves and thought it was N toxicity. Maybe the lights were just too close. Idk if this helps but they look better in the morning once the lights turn on and at the end of the day they get worse. My lights are two Mars hydro Tsw 2000 at 24”

Back
Top Bottom