Can anyone identify the cause?

I think it is happening more because we are holding our plants in flower longer. Looking back at messages in all the long time message boards there now is more discussion on waiting weeks longer before harvest. It used to be 8 or 9 weeks after flowering started. Now we see growers going 12 or more weeks.

Not saying that waiting the extra weeks is causing this; just that it could be one of several contributors.

you're probably on to something

Hey @Carmen Ray,

Nice looking buds!

I'm late to the fun here, but you made the right choice. I've become somewhat of a bud rot expert, with my outdoor grow conditions here in Hawaii. I've taken macro shots of the start of bud rot, and that's definitely what you had going on there. For me, it's often a dance between letting the trichomes ripen enough, and keeping an eye out for bud rot. And from experience, I've learned when I absolutely need to harvest and can't wait any longer. Bud rot can be stealthy, growing inside buds, and you can lose the whole harvest that way.

Some strains are more bud rot resistant that others. I recently harvested some Blue Dream hybrid buds, and there was some limited bud rot, but it was isolated and I was able to just cut it out when trimming. When I trim I use a headlamp and high-magnification reading glasses. I have never washed any buds post harvest. But I often use hydrogen peroxide solution sprayed liberally on the plants in flower, buds and all (I use a 1/2 gal. pump sprayer). This accomplishes the same thing as washing your buds, but they can stay on the plant while they're drying. I use 6-8 fl oz of 3% peroxide in 1/2 gal of pure water.

I'm doing a thread right now... a quest to find mold resistant strains... you might like to check it out, if you haven't already. HERE

Hey @Carmen Ray,

Nice looking buds!

I'm late to the fun here, but you made the right choice. I've become somewhat of a bud rot expert, with my outdoor grow conditions here in Hawaii. I've taken macro shots of the start of bud rot, and that's definitely what you had going on there. For me, it's often a dance between letting the trichomes ripen enough, and keeping an eye out for bud rot. And from experience, I've learned when I absolutely need to harvest and can't wait any longer. Bud rot can be stealthy, growing inside buds, and you can lose the whole harvest that way.

Some strains are more bud rot resistant that others. I recently harvested some Blue Dream hybrid buds, and there was some limited bud rot, but it was isolated and I was able to just cut it out when trimming. When I trim I use a headlamp and high-magnification reading glasses. I have never washed any buds post harvest. But I often use hydrogen peroxide solution sprayed liberally on the plants in flower, buds and all (I use a 1/2 gal. pump sprayer). This accomplishes the same thing as washing your buds, but they can stay on the plant while they're drying. I use 6-8 fl oz of 3% peroxide in 1/2 gal of pure water.

I'm doing a thread right now... a quest to find mold resistant strains... you might like to check it out, if you haven't already. HERE
Hi CBD,
Thank you for sharing your experience with bud rot. I will come and check out your thread right now :)

Hey @Carmen Ray,

Nice looking buds!

Ha, I'm subbed to that thread already :)

Back
Top Bottom