Can I go from 20 hr's light to 14's light cycle on my 8 week old auto BB

Canachris

My current grow is 1 auto flower BB and 2 photo unknown free seeds. I thought the auto would be 3 weeks ahead of the photos and just as the auto was ready for harvest I could cut to 12/12 on the photos an all would work out great. Welp you know what they say about the best laid plans. My question of the day is . Now that my auto is 8 weeks, what will the consequences be from cutting the light cycle down to 14hr's on and 10hrs's off ?

20230507_052558.jpg

20230507_052553.jpg

20230507_052542.jpg

Now that my auto is 8 weeks, what will the consequences be from cutting the light cycle down to 14hr's on and 10hrs's off ?
Not sure what you are trying to do. Why drop the number of hours of quality light?

The more hours of light the greater the more energy (through photosynthesis) the plant has. Both the auto-flower and the photo-period plants will have the light to produce more sugars/glucose and make better use of the nutrients it can get from the soils and any fertilizers that might be used.

Dropping to 14 hours of light and the photo-periods will not flower but will suffer some from the loss of the hours of quality light, mostly in slower growth. The auto-flower will continue to flower but I figure overall quantity (weight/volume) of the buds will drop.

Hey Smoke, the auto flower never stretched and the top 5" of her are so densely packed with bud I'm afraid it will all end up with bud rot or some kind of mold. The 2 photo plants were supposed to be 3 weeks behind the auto so I could harvest the auto go to 12/12 with the photos and everything would be hunkydori, but everything went to shite. I'd like to drop light hrs to get my photo to start to stretch and start flowering. Their ready the nodes are growing offset I'm seeing lil hairs at the nodes. So why wait to see what the auto will do when I know it's not going be worth wasting 3- 4 more weeks on her.

The 2 photo plants were supposed to be 3 weeks behind the auto so I could harvest the auto go to 12/12 with the photos and everything would be hunkydori
If the photo-periods are the plants you are doing all this for then put them up on the front burner as the saying goes. If they were my plants I would start the flowering fertilizer schedule now and in 2 weeks do the light schedule change. Change the lights to 12 on and 12 off then. In the meantime leave them at a 16-20 on and a 4-8 off. Your choice so pick what you and your electric bill are comfortable. Whatever you decide on the auto-flower will not care.

If the auto-flower will be the main concern give it as much light as possible and the photo-period plants will be be able to wait their turn.

Out of the 3 plants the auto was kind of an experiment, I never grew one and wanted see if it would work out better in my limited space and time. But the BB auto has issues. maybe I did something wrong. But she never stretched, her top bud is ten inches of bud compressed into 4 inches. Not sure if this how it's supposed to grow but there is no way or highly unlikely it will finnish growing or dry an cure without some kind of issues

The other were free seed that came with the BB auto. They were labeled humbolt seed co. mountain top mint. The taller one was a super star from day 1... until I put her in the big container of new soul, the poof rite down the toilet, I'm still stumped I've bever gad a plant go this bad under perfect conditions... except for maybe a few chilly nights or a dry spell, but fudge they are supposed to deal with that no problimo

Out of the 3 plants the auto was kind of an experiment, I never grew one and wanted see if it would work out better in my limited space and time. But the BB auto has issues. maybe I did something wrong. But she never stretched, her top bud is ten inches of bud compressed into 4 inches. Not sure if this how it's supposed to grow but there is no way or highly unlikely it will finnish growing or dry an cure without some kind of issues
I can understand where you are coming from since something similar has happened to me a time or two. Think positive is the best way to look at the situation. If one of those issue comes up I found the best thing is to tell myself it is the normal way things are supposed to go and I roll with it.

Hey

From my experience autos need as much light as possible. I was on 12/12 for weeks, pointlessly. Flip them lights to atleast 20/4. You'll be amazed at the quick changes

Be safe ✌🏻 👌🏻

That's usually how I am , there's always the next grow. But the meds my Dr pushes, push my emotions to the extreme an me make forgetful and unable to do the simple tasks I used to do with ease
Hope your plant turns into a great harvest for you. Hang in there it will all work out.

It'll all work out, I figure I can give the auto 1 more week if she opens up a bit ill put her in the shower I can rig up some LED's to extend her day if I have to cut the top 4" off the rest should make it to 10 weeks. The middle plant should start stretching at 14 hrs of light and I can top and i can Scrog her or something to spread her out. The big plant has something I just can't figure out.

Welp the simple solution was rite in front of me all along. I have a huge collection of LED,CFL bulbs and hanging lights tripod lights. So the photos stayed in the big box and and got cut down to 14hr's of light( mostly everything I've grown will start to stretch at 14hr's) and the auto got a few LED and CFL and a couple of polyshield panels. She can get her 20 hrs, fingers crossed I didn't mess with her mind too much

20230507_183315.jpg

From my experience autos need as much light as possible. I was on 12/12 for weeks, pointlessly. Flip them lights to at least 20/4. You'll be amazed at the quick changes
Makes sense, because the autoflowering genetics come from cannabis ruderalis, which grows in the northern latitudes, meaning very long days and short nights during the summer growing season. For example, in Southern Siberia on the summer solstice, day length is almost 17 hours. By the end of August, it drops to 13.75 hrs.

Makes sense, because the autoflowering genetics come from cannabis ruderalis, which grows in the northern latitudes, meaning very long days and short nights during the summer growing season. For example, in Southern Siberia on the summer solstice, day length is almost 17 hours. By the end of August, it drops to 13.75 hrs.
Very well said, dude.

It's all about manipulation. If you grow in a confined tent, you can create your own atmosphere. The plant is going by light time to determine what time of the year it is. As you well said, they flourish in northern atmospheric areas where day time reaches 18 hours plus, this is how to grow a really healthy auto plant. Why would you want to alter the schedule of light it receives if it means lesser yield and a lower grade end product?

Keep doing what your doing. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes and take it all the info you get on here, even if it's not relevant now save it for later dude, it may come in handy in a few weeks time.

I'm no intermediate. I just made similar mistakes.

Be safe ✌🏻 👌🏻

So the photos stayed in the big box and and got cut down to 14hr's of light( mostly everything I've grown will start to stretch at 14hr's)
There is a difference between a plant stretching because it is looking for more light and stretching because the flowering hormones have kicked in.

14 hours of light should be enough to keep the plant from switching over to flowering but it is going to slow down the overall growth.

It's worked in the past, 4 or 5 days at 14 hrs then13 hrs. Most of my plants will stretch and flower at 13 hrs light. It just seems unnatural to go from 18 to 12 it doesn't work that in the wild,and it gives me time for some late LST or HST whatever mood hits me

20230508_110744.jpg

Back
Top Bottom