Can someone diagnose my flowering plant leaves?

healthdude38

420 Member
Hey there fellow growers,

Im doing a DWC grow, im on week 7 of flowering and the plants are showing some symptoms that i dont know what it is..

Symptoms started about 2 weeks ago, at first i thought it was nute burn (which i still think it also was that), so i gave it only Ph'd water to flush the plant for this last week, the 2 times i went to check on the ph during this week the ph had become higher and out of range which i think made everything worse and now they look effed up. Somebody any ideas on what i should do?

Ps: the symptoms are starting in the higher leaves and going down the plant, the bottom leaves are not as damaged as the top ones..
Screenshot_20230517_152119_Gallery.jpg
20230517_151536.jpg
20230517_151520.jpg
20230517_151524.jpg
20230517_151630.jpg
20230517_151625.jpg

Welcome to the forum, you'll find a lot of great people with good diagnosing skills. I'm not a DWC guy, but a couple observations, the undamaged leaves are very dark green and shiny, which tells me maybe too much N. Don' know what the PH of your nute solution is, but it could be a ph issue, other than that it could be calmag related, but don't know if it's too much or not enough, and if too much it could be locking out P&K. Again, just observations.

You have to give us some info to be able to help? What nutrient strength EC, pH and how often do you do reservoir changes?

You're way overfeeding, you need to monitor your inputs and outputs in hydro to dial in a strain.

Welcome to the forum, you'll find a lot of great people with good diagnosing skills. I'm not a DWC guy, but a couple observations, the undamaged leaves are very dark green and shiny, which tells me maybe too much N. Don' know what the PH of your nute solution is, but it could be a ph issue, other than that it could be calmag related, but don't know if it's too much or not enough, and if too much it could be locking out P&K. Again, just observations.
Yes that's what I was thinking at first, nute burn. I've been trying to flush the plant but I'm realising that with no nutrients in the water the PH fluctuates too much.. I just went and took a measurement and the ph is slightly above 7. Yesterday when o corrected it, it was 5.6.

So everyday when I go check, the PH is always out of range and gets too high. I just corrected it again today, later in the day I'm going to check the PH to see how it has changed throughout the day.

You have to give us some info to be able to help? What nutrient strength EC, pH and how often do you do reservoir changes?

You're way overfeeding, you need to monitor your inputs and outputs in hydro to dial in a strain.

I don't measure EC yet, im planning on buying a meter for the next grow..

I change the reservoir every 7-8 days, I clean the buckets and give them fresh solution...

The plants were also looking amazing, the problems started to show up about 2 weeks ago..

I'm using GH 3 part nutrients only

That's your problem. Without monitoring or data logging your guess is as good as mine?

I would look in to root rot preventatives measures if you're not currently do so. It's not a matter of if but when you will experience problems without preventatives.

Chlorine is most widely used commercially for sterilization and keeping things clean. 3ppm residual chlorine is typical for DWC. I use regular bleach(sodium hypochlorite) and I've always used this dilution calculator:

Chlorine dilution calculator

That's your problem. Without monitoring or data logging your guess is as good as mine?

I would look in to root rot preventatives measures if you're not currently do so. It's not a matter of if but when you will experience problems without preventatives.

Chlorine is most widely used commercially for sterilization and keeping things clean. 3ppm residual chlorine is typical for DWC. I use regular bleach(sodium hypochlorite) and I've always used this dilution calculator:

I'm sorry I don't quiet understand what you mean. What guess? Root rot? Why? I don't have no root rot, the water in the reservoir looks clean, the roots are white. I think the problem here is more of a nutrient lockout that's causing a calcium deficiency, and since I'm trying to flush and can't get the PH stabilise, everything got worse

But yes I used chlorine in the past with great success, when light got through the buckets and caused some algae growth..

But yes I used chlorine in the past with great success, when light got through the buckets and caused some algae growth..
A buffer like Calcium carbonate or Potassium silicate would help sort your pH fluctuations.

Im doing a DWC grow, im on week 7 of flowering and the plants are showing some symptoms that i dont know what it is..

Symptoms started about 2 weeks ago, at first i thought it was nute burn (which i still think it also was that), so i gave it only Ph'd water to flush the plant for this last week, the 2 times i went to check on the ph during this week the ph had become higher and out of range which i think made everything worse and now they look effed up. Somebody any ideas on what i should do?

Ps: the symptoms are starting in the higher leaves and going down the plant, the bottom leaves are not as damaged as the top ones..
20230517_151536.jpg
20230517_151520.jpg
20230517_151524.jpg
20230517_151630.jpg
20230517_151625.jpg
Welcome to 420Magazine my friend :welcome:
Just a couple questions.
You are growing in soil I presume?
Not coco or bx?
How often are you feeding & watering?
What nutrients are you using?
Thanks.
Talk soon.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

20230517_151536.jpg
20230517_151520.jpg
20230517_151524.jpg
20230517_151630.jpg
20230517_151625.jpg
I’m not entirely sure what’s going on here. It’s sort of looks like some nutrient burn and maybe it’s also lacking in Cal-mag…!? My last couple grows have been in DWC also. I found that when fixing problems the best thing to do is change out the water in DWC. My suggestion to you is to once again completely clean out your Reservoir and add fresh water pH to 5.8 and only add Cal-mag. See how your plant looks when it needs water in the reservoir again in a few days. And you’re definitely gonna have to get yourself a ppm or EC meter. Also in my experience with DWC you can’t go with the nute strength that is recommended on the bottle. In my personal experience ppm needs to be kept between 300 and 900 at the most. Anything more than that and my leaves start to burn almost right away. Even during Flower I don’t go over 900. I would start with this and see how it looks in a week or so. Don’t be overly aggressive with DWC. I’m sure there will be people with more experience along to help you out, or at least I hope so :). I’m anxiously awaiting to see what happens over the next 5 to 7 days. Best of luck!

Its a DWC grow. Its rhe first thing i wrote 😄
My apologies my friend. :Namaste:
It was early please forgive me.
What is the temp of your res tank?

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

I’m not entirely sure what’s going on here. It’s sort of looks like some nutrient burn and maybe it’s also lacking in Cal-mag…!? My last couple grows have been in DWC also. I found that when fixing problems the best thing to do is change out the water in DWC. My suggestion to you is to once again completely clean out your Reservoir and add fresh water pH to 5.8 and only add Cal-mag. See how your plant looks when it needs water in the reservoir again in a few days. And you’re definitely gonna have to get yourself a ppm or EC meter. Also in my experience with DWC you can’t go with the nute strength that is recommended on the bottle. In my personal experience ppm needs to be kept between 300 and 900 at the most. Anything more than that and my leaves start to burn almost right away. Even during Flower I don’t go over 900. I would start with this and see how it looks in a week or so. Don’t be overly aggressive with DWC. I’m sure there will be people with more experience along to help you out, or at least I hope so :). I’m anxiously awaiting to see what happens over the next 5 to 7 days. Best of luck!

The plant is looking worse everyday 😔

Just went in the room and took some pictures before lights went out..

PH is in range, I gave it some cal/mag

I cleaned the reservoir and put only fresh pH'd water in it 2 days ago.

I cant measure the tenperature of the water but it feels cold to the touch, but its not too cold

The other plants are looking OK I guess.. I can see some brown spots here and there but nothing major.

I'm posting some images of my other plants too

20230518_182929.jpg
20230518_182925.jpg
20230518_182921.jpg
20230518_182909.jpg

Here are the other plants:

20230518_182943.jpg
20230518_182936.jpg
20230518_182951.jpg
20230518_182947.jpg
20230518_182959.jpg

It's almost impossible to get "Cal-mag" related issues in DWC with a complete plant food. If you get deficiencies it's always pH related.

Only reason to add extra Ca to DWC would be something like Calcium carbonate as a pH buffer. Potassium bicarbonate would achieve the same thing. Even better pH buffer in hydro is potassium silicate.

It's almost impossible to get "Cal-mag" related issues in DWC with a complete plant food. If you get deficiencies it's always pH related.

Only reason to add extra Ca to DWC would be something like Calcium carbonate as a pH buffer. Potassium bicarbonate would achieve the same thing. Even better pH buffer in hydro is potassium silicate.
First time I’ve seen someone say no need for cal-mag in DWC. Interesting. Guess I’ve been wasting money for the last year on cal-mag in my DWC 🤪

First time I’ve seen someone say no need for cal-mag in DWC. Interesting. Guess I’ve been wasting money for the last year on cal-mag in my DWC 🤪
I never added Cal-Mag in DWC or Aero, even with RO and I've been growing in hydro since the late 90's. You're better of spending the money on a silicate product IMO!

I haven't experimented much with Potassium bicarbonate but I've seen people use it with great success for managing pH fluctuations. It's also very common to use running aquariums.

You don't need as much Potassium bicarbonate compared to Calcium carbonate as a pH buffer and it's way more water soluble compared to Calcium carbonate.

If you want to add Calcium carbonate you have to more or less buy it in solution (Calimagic) if you dont find a way to make it on your own.

Without knowing more about the water, I don't think I can help by guessing.

Need solution temperature.
PH
PPM's
What all are you using during nutrient change, and how much?

How many air stones are you using? Were they new or used?

Your plant has been feeding to rich a solution from the leaf tip burn.

Sorry I can't be more help.

My suggestion would be buy a ph and ppm/EC meters, they are cheap. They will give you solution temps also.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..

OK. Your at week 7. The buds look great. What say them under a good loop? Because without that, best guess is best I can offer.
If those gals are around 8 week finishers, it time to flush anyway. This said, your indicator leaves (water leaves) seem to be showing classic signs of nutrient overload. Without knowing variables,, again, it’s a best guess scenario. Also, let’s say it was nutrient burn, and you quickly recover. Those leaves are nutrient burned forever and won’t recover. The good thing with WTC it’s really quick to recover from mishaps. Also, a few photos of the root zone might be helpful as well.
The best advice I could offer you would be to get a few tools. First is a quality ph and ec/ppm meter. Armed with these two tools, you can not only easily verify changes but adjust as needed, but I use my ec meter to tell me how well the girls are eating. It can also tell you when they aren’t eating.😬 Same with ph, ESPECIALLY is DWC. It’s a fine line here, because above and below on the ph scale can lock your plant out of needed nutrients like flipping a light switch. I aim for a general ph of between 5.8 and 6.0, however once you get playing with it you can use this knowledge to benefit your plants. If I can locate a deficiency in either macro or micro, I can find at what ph that particular micro nute is best assimilated at and dial that in for a day or two before returning to an average. The biggest problem I face isn’t that I don’t know if the girls are eating or how much they are eating. I can tell that. What I can’t tell is specifically which “salts” they are eating. If you don’t start fresh every week or two depending on reservoir size, you risk a nutrient lockout scenario, which because your DWC is easily remedied.
Grab a loop. Check out the trics. Those buds look like they are ready for flushing, again, because you are DWC is really easy to feed those gals a low ppm water, kick the lights off temps down 10 deg and watch those gals get desperate…😎

Without knowing more about the water, I don't think I can help by guessing.

Need solution temperature.
PH
PPM's
What all are you using during nutrient change, and how much?

How many air stones are you using? Were they new or used?

Your plant has been feeding to rich a solution from the leaf tip burn.

Sorry I can't be more help.

My suggestion would be buy a ph and ppm/EC meters, they are cheap. They will give you solution temps also.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..

Ok so im buying an EC meter on monday. I dont own one right now..
The PH, well, im just really really sick of buying PH meters, they all break and stop working right, and everytime is 40-50 euros to buy a knew one, i probably spent more money on PH meters throughout my grow journey then in grow material. I just use those drops where you check the color, this whole grow was done only using those drops and im liking it and didnt have no problems yet..

I also Dont have a thermometer to check water temperature but the water is cold to the touch, not too cold..

Im using 2 air stones per Bucket, each one has its own air pump just in case on pump stops working.

My plants were definitely light burned, it is my first time using a led grow light, and I just cranked it to 1000w, plus the light was too close, I measured the ppfd yesterday and it was 1700 and above when it should have been 900-1000 max.

Other thing is, I just went in the growroom and saw a weird looking bud, when I looked closely and opened the bud to check inside: Bud rot!! Shit this is going from bad to worse.. the humidity is 38% and there is a fan blowing directly on this buds where I found bud rot so I don't quite understand how this could be happening..

I put a dehumidifier in the grow room now. Now I can only pray for the best, I just hope I don't get rot all over again because I lost half my crop the last time to bud rot
20230520_174910.jpg
20230520_174921.jpg

Back
Top Bottom