Captain Howdy's - Crown Royal - Closet - Soil - Grow

Niiiice! Those plants are looking sharp, they have surely slipped the surly bonds of gravity and are standing at attention. That's good advice emilya I'm gonna heed that as well.

"Life is just one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead"

Keep drying them out all the way to the bottom... they are clearly loving it... and they can still raise up a lot more. They are definitely looking happier than the last picture though, good job!

belay that transplant order captain... in the medic's view, it is not in the best interest of the crew.

MJ is a deep rooting plant... the first place those roots go is to the bottom, looking for their limits. I have seen week old seedling show roots out of a bottom hole, it is a myth that this is a sign to transplant.

Transplanting is done when it is clear that the buffer of soil we have put our plants in no longer can hold enough water to supply our girls for more than 24 hours. My rule on transplanting is that as soon as I see that my plants can drain their container in approximately 24 hours, or as soon as I see some leaf yellowing of the very lowest fans indicating contricted roots, that is when I transplant. Until I get to that point, my goal is to develop a solid rootball all throughout that container by restricting the space and teasing out the water. I wait to transplant until the plant tells me to do so, not as soon as I see a wayward root seeking oxygen.

First of all, hello Cap'n Howdy, I just stumbled upon your grow and will be following along now. It is threads like this that I can learn so much from. I see Emilya has offered some tips and I always find those invaluable.
Thanks for this one Emmie, it all makes sense when you start s'plainin things like this:thumb:

Hey 420, everything looks good this morning. All five Dark Angel seeds cracked open last night and the haze seed has a nice beginning of a taproot starting as well. So far so good. I'll be dropping them into soil in a couple days.

First of all, hello Cap'n Howdy, I just stumbled upon your grow and will be following along now. It is threads like this that I can learn so much from. I see Emilya has offered some tips and I always find those invaluable.
Thanks for this one Emmie, it all makes sense when you start s'plainin things like this:thumb:

Welcome BeaverIslander!
I too am learning so very much. I feel so lucky to have good support like Emilya! Speaking of which...

What pot size should I go to next when I upsize? I want to end up in 4-5 gallon pots to finish.

My plan at this point is to veg monsters, Utilizing topping and LST. I want to select one Crown Royale to be my mother and pull her and the MH system into a different room to continue providing clones. The other two plants will stay in the closet which is going to become my flower room as I switch from the 400W MH system to the 2 400W HPS system.
Same plan for the dark Angels; veg monsters under the MH and put everything but the chosen mother into flower.
My goal is to eventually have two cabinets one for veg and one for flower an then hash out a perpetual harvest schedule with some awesome strains.
Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Thanks in advance

-Captain Howdy

Good day 420 friends!
I am happy to report that all six seeds(5 dark angel Fem and 1 Silver Haze) have some big ass tap roots shooting out of them, they'll be going into soil in 24-72 hours. The three Crown Royales are trucking along as well. They're a little droopy but I'm sure it is because they're full of water again. I'm gonna let them dry right out again before watering as it seems to have a positive effect.

Subbed and learning via the medium of journals. Wishing you every success with your grow.

WELCOME MaxHeadroom! Thank you for the positive vibes!

-Captain Howdy

looking good man babies looking healthy , would say maybe slightley over waterd in earlier pics but thats just my opnion frm perception of the pics, cant see fo real.... keep it up mate and maybe calm down on wateriing ever so slightly, maybe it just me and there fine haha :) peace and happy new year

Welcome Buddha buds!
Pretty much every post above is about how I had been overwatering so yep you're bang on in your perception. I have calmed down on waterings and they're showing great improvement. I'm can't thank you and the community enough for helping me out. Any tips, comments and questions are greatly appreciated. WELCOME TO MY GARDEN!

-Captain Howdy

Hey 420 friends!

Ok, so the ladies weren't looking so good, I had been keeping up on letting them dry out before waterings. I have a great handle on heat, humidity, light, ph (of water and soil) etc. They were drinking their water in about 30 hours and not getting much bigger and still looking pretty sad.

I pulled one of the girls out of her pot to look at the roots and to my surprise they were EVERYWHERE and pretty bound up. I ran out and picked up a huge bail of soil from my local grow shop and transplanted then into much larger pots. I am honestly worried that I waited too long to pot up because the root balls were so firm and tight that when I shook them almost none of the soil shook off. They almost looked like Pete plugs the soil had become so compacted due to the massive root ball. I just popped the big "plugs" right into their new pots.

It's too late now but in the future if my roots get away on me... Should I have cut the root balls a bit? Or rinsed some of the soil away with water?
I hope they turn around now that they have some room.

On a good note the Dark Angels are coming up quickly and healthy. I picked up two more four foot 54w T5HO sunblaster lights so I have three over top of the six seedlings (5 dark angels and 1 silver haze). They're all looking great.

I AM ALSO GERMINATING TWO GREEN CRACK SEEDS! Strain information to follow.

Your roots will be fine, you did exactly right. You up-potted as soon as you saw that their water use was between 24-48 hours, and you were starting to see complaints in the lower leaves. It is either of these two things we look for when we want to let the plants to decide when it is that their root balls have become compact enough that they need more room, and more soil to work with since the needs of the massively expanding plant above demands more room to do what they do. Your little compact rootballs will now send roots in every direction. Continue to water correctly, and you will quickly fill the next container too. The fact that you actually had a rootball that held all the soil together... that was a good thing... pat yourself on the back. Good job!

Your roots will be fine... The fact that you actually had a rootball that held all the soil together... that was a good thing... pat yourself on the back. Good job!

Thanks Emilya, I needed to hear that.

They're perking up a little already...
image35794.jpg

Here are my new babies in their nursery. (5 dark angels and 1 silver haze)

image35793.jpg

image35792.jpg

Thanks for reading friends!

-Captain Howdy

Hey 420 friends!

I have made a few small upgrades to my nursery... There are four Dark Angels (gave one to a friend), one Silver Haze and two Green Cracks in there now.
image35830.jpg

As promised here is some information on my new strains...

Dark Angel:
image35833.jpg

Sativa / Indica Blend
Type: Indoor / Outdoor
Growing: Easy
Flowering Time: 8 Weeks
Indica/Sativa: 50% Indica / Sativa
Effect: Full Body Stone
THC: Medium THC
THC%: 17.19%
CBD: 0.4%
CBN: 2.0%
Yield: Up to 550gr indoor/350gr out
Genetics: Cheese X Jack Herer

Green Crack:
image35832.jpg

High Yield and THC
Type: Indoor / Outdoor
Growing: Easy
Flowering Time: 9 to 10 Weeks
Indica/Sativa: Mainly Indica
Effect: High Body Buzz
THC: Very High
THC%: 21.40%
CBD: 0.45%
CBN: 0.29%
Yield: up to 600gr Indoor/300gr outdoor
Genetics: Afghani X Skunk

Exciting stuff going on here folks! Stick around!

-Captain Howdy

Back
Top Bottom