CBD Joy: A Community Garden Experience

I'm more relaxed around her now and will, in future only update every week or 2. But today I can't resist sharing this photo. I love how furry she is!

Realised I don't know when to count the age from... is it from when she sprouted out of the soil and showed herself for the first time? or From when I dropped the seed? If it's from when she showed herself, then this is actually day 7 (and the days I had above were wrong - they were from planting).

So young, and already sparkly :circle-of-love:

Critical_CBD-day7.png

:popcorn:

Lovely Amy. They hold your heart while they grow. :battingeyelashes:

I count day one as the first day they came through the soil surface. As soon as I see green leaf I'm starting the clock.

:woohoo: Impending harvest alert! :woohoo:

CBD Critical Cure 2.2.1 ( Day 136, flip + 54)

IMG_207035.JPG

IMG_206032.JPG

IMG_2064.PNG

IMG_2068.PNG

I have a safety inspection tomorrow morning, so the harvest won't be until Wednesday. I have a strong preference to harvest before lights go on. It could be done tomorrow, since the lights will be out until after the inspection, but there's too much chance I'll be inspected later in the day, so I'll force myself to wait. :laughtwo:

My next CBD Critical Cure is my first hempy attempt.

CBD Critical Cure 2.6 (Day 43)

IMG_207133.JPG

She looks totally different from her soil-grown sister to her left. :thedoubletake:

If there's a plant that'll keep me in soil it'll be this one. I've grown a succession of lovelies in soil and been quite pleased with both yield and potency. I'm hoping she expresses as wonderfully in hempy, because I'd really like to shift the entire grow to hempy by year's end.

My last charge will be going to Jgrowlove for finishing. I got carried away and grew too many plants. :laughtwo:

CBD Critical Cure 2.5 (Day 54)

IMG_207239.JPG

IMG_207335.JPG

She's getting swallowed up by the bigger plants, and she's a bit past time to transplant. J can't get her into a bigger footprint soon enough to please her. :laughtwo: Maybe I can encourage him to update her here after he takes possession.

:battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

:woohoo: Impending harvest alert! :woohoo:

CBD Critical Cure 2.2.1 ( Day 136, flip + 54)

IMG_207035.JPG

IMG_206032.JPG

IMG_2064.PNG

IMG_2068.PNG

I have a safety inspection tomorrow morning, so the harvest won't be until Wednesday. I have a strong preference to harvest before lights go on. It could be done tomorrow, since the lights will be out until after the inspection, but there's too much chance I'll be inspected later in the day, so I'll force myself to wait. :laughtwo:

IMG_207133.JPG

She looks totally different from her soil-grown sister to her left. :thedoubletake:

If there's a plant that'll keep me in soil it'll be this one. I've grown a succession of lovelies in soil and been quite pleased with both yield and potency. I'm hoping she expresses as wonderfully in hempy, because I'd really like to shift the entire grow to hempy by year's end.

My last charge will be going to Jgrowlove for finishing. I got carried away and grew too many plants. :laughtwo:

CBD Critical Cure 2.5 (Day 54)

IMG_207239.JPG

IMG_207335.JPG

She's getting swallowed up by the bigger plants, and she's a bit past time to transplant. J can't get her into a bigger footprint soon enough to please her. :laughtwo: Maybe I can encourage him to update her here after he takes possession.

:hug: Mornin Sue

IMG_207133.JPG

Did you monster crop the one on the left?

I think what you are looking at is the effect of monster cropping (cloning from a cutting taken in flower after the buds set.) She grows ridiculously slow because she is revegging and has those big funky reveg leaves. I believe she will eventually grow into a nice looking plant, but a clone taken 3 weeks earlier, before flower, would already be a nice looking plant and at least twice as large.

Did you monster crop the one on the left?

I think what you are looking at is the effect of monster cropping (cloning from a cutting taken in flower after the buds set.) She grows ridiculously slow because she is revegging and has those big funky reveg leaves. I believe she will eventually grow into a nice looking plant, but a clone taken 3 weeks earlier, before flower, would already be a nice looking plant and at least twice as large.

You are so right Rad. :laughtwo: I'd forgotten that I took her at day 11 of flower. Lol! That explains the strange leaf structure. She'll catch up in dramatic fashion, just the way Dave Groomer always gets to happen with his clones. He has it worked to take the cutting at day 15, and then he has them all ready to go into flower with the mother's harvest.

I'm still learning the ropes of cloning and all the scheduling concerns. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Pulling up a chair for the learning! I may be a little late, but CBD has become my new passion. There is a store that sells CBD products and we have seen such a huge difference in anxiety levels in my son and his fiancé. The owner of the store stated that the reason there is both THC and CBD in the plant is for the CBD to counteract the paranoia/anxiety that THC can cause. However, for years people having only been trying to increase the THC portion and in many strains that ratio is out of balance causing individuals to crave more bud/oil to get more CBD, but smoking more just causes the individual to be more out of whack and the cycle continues. When my son puts additional CBD in with what he is smoking then he craves less and consequently smokes less but gets more value. This was the nail in the coffin for me to decide to grow. I want to know what my family is putting in their bodies, eliminate as many chemicals as possible and be able to make our own CBD products. Sweet Sue - Reading your posts really make me excited for my journey to begin!

If there's a plant that'll keep me in soil it'll be this one. I've grown a succession of lovelies in soil ...

Hi Sue - interested in the outcomes of this shift. I'm wondering if you'll notice a shift in the quality of the meds, moving out of soil to the bottled nutes. Are the nutes you use with your hempys organic?

Good luck for the inspection - and even more so for the harvest!

You are so right Rad. :laughtwo: I'd forgotten that I took her at day 11 of flower. Lol! That explains the strange leaf structure. She'll catch up in dramatic fashion, just the way Dave Groomer always gets to happen with his clones. He has it worked to take the cutting at day 15, and then he has them all ready to go into flower with the mother's harvest.

I'm still learning the ropes of cloning and all the scheduling concerns. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Growing perpetual is an interesting challenge. It takes a few laps around the track to settle into what works in your grow areas, with your lights, and your nutriemts, and your cloning time, your training style, and your watering routines. Change one of those things, (veg lights, cloning time,etc.) and the flow of plants changes.

I enjoy the challenge of trying to get the plants flowing correctly well, tweaking the system, and then adapting to the changes. 18 months ago, I started in a 3x6' veg and 3x6' flower after growing in an 8x8' veg and a 4x8' flower. I felt I could maintain production and improve consistency in the smaller environment, by using Doc Buds nutrients. While this is mostly true, the smaller veg area led to me downsizing from 10 gal to 7 gal fabric pots, and the new need to store and cook large amounts of soil caught me by surprise.

Things were just settling in when a combination of cloner failure, an undetected veg light failure throwing my veg plants into flower, and an inattentive grower put a big kink in the assembly line. Adapting and refining keep me interested, so I don't have to keep chasing the newest seeds, the newest lights and the newest potting techniques to stay interested in growing. - But lots of folks thrive off trying the newest, oddest strains. I saw someone recently post a photo of a strain that sounded like Old Pig Blueberry Cinderella and Ihad to say, as nice as the plant looked, I'm glad I'm not chasing around after the newest batch of $150 seeds.

That said, I'm not immune to trying new things: I recently tried out some COB LEDs, I am planning to grow a Carnival in hempy (the family loves that strain - thank you), and if ever get an excess of soil, I probably slide an autoflower into the perpetual stream.

Pulling up a chair for the learning! I may be a little late, but CBD has become my new passion. There is a store that sells CBD products and we have seen such a huge difference in anxiety levels in my son and his fiancé. The owner of the store stated that the reason there is both THC and CBD in the plant is for the CBD to counteract the paranoia/anxiety that THC can cause. However, for years people having only been trying to increase the THC portion and in many strains that ratio is out of balance causing individuals to crave more bud/oil to get more CBD, but smoking more just causes the individual to be more out of whack and the cycle continues. When my son puts additional CBD in with what he is smoking then he craves less and consequently smokes less but gets more value. This was the nail in the coffin for me to decide to grow. I want to know what my family is putting in their bodies, eliminate as many chemicals as possible and be able to make our own CBD products. Sweet Sue - Reading your posts really make me excited for my journey to begin!

It's an intersting theory, but I doubt your store owner has his facts just right. CBD will moderate the effects of THC, which can tone down the high, and for some folks that reduction will remove anxiety.
but
the paranoia/anxiety seems to be generated more by some of the plant terpenes, terpenes found more often in Sativa strains, than the THC itself.

Good choice to grow your own strains to find what works best for him.

As an emergency measure in case of an anxiety attack from cannabis, hand him a peppercorn grinder and have him grind pepper and hold the pepper grinder under his nose and sniff. Repeat as needed. He doesn't have to use the pepper, definitely should not snort the pepper, but inhale the aromas. Peppercorn terpenes released by the grinding of pepper block the cannabis terpenes that cause anxiety and paranoia. It might take as long as 10 minutes, grinding and sniffing once a minute, for the first time - but, wierd as it sounds, this does seem to work for a lot of people.

p.s. when picking out a strain, you might check seedfinder website.

For strains with user comments they genrate a word cloud, a red and green pie chart looking thing, where words in various size indicate user feedback on the effects: One can click onto the chart/cloud to find strains with similar effects

For example (without the really useful word sizes) CBD Critical Cure (one I grew) shows:

Green: Head; Activate; Uplifting; Light headed; Exhilarating; Relaxing; Thought provoking; Meditativ; Aphrodisiac; Racy; Psychedelic;

Red: Body; Calming; Couch Lock; Energetic; Appetizing; Pain numbing

- - -

Playing with the pie chart I found my way to Critical Plus Auto (Critical Mass x AK47- then autoflowered)
This implies that the Body Calming effects of CBD Critical Cure come more from the "critical" side of the family than the "CBD" side of the family. - - No guarantees with the internet, but it's food for thought.

Growing perpetual is an interesting challenge. It takes a few laps around the track to settle into what works in your grow areas, with your lights, and your nutriemts, and your cloning time, your training style, and your watering routines. Change one of those things, (veg lights, cloning time,etc.) and the flow of plants changes.

I enjoy the challenge of trying to get the plants flowing correctly well, tweaking the system, and then adapting to the changes. 18 months ago, I started in a 3x6' veg and 3x6' flower after growing in an 8x8' veg and a 4x8' flower. I felt I could maintain production and improve consistency in the smaller environment, by using Doc Buds nutrients. While this is mostly true, the smaller veg area led to me downsizing from 10 gal to 7 gal fabric pots, and the new need to store and cook large amounts of soil caught me by surprise.

Things were just settling in when a combination of cloner failure, an undetected veg light failure throwing my veg plants into flower, and an inattentive grower put a big kink in the assembly line. Adapting and refining keep me interested, so I don't have to keep chasing the newest seeds, the newest lights and the newest potting techniques to stay interested in growing. - But lots of folks thrive off trying the newest, oddest strains. I saw someone recently post a photo of a strain that sounded like Old Pig Blueberry Cinderella and Ihad to say, as nice as the plant looked, I'm glad I'm not chasing around after the newest batch of $150 seeds.

That said, I'm not immune to trying new things: I recently tried out some COB LEDs, I am planning to grow a Carnival in hempy (the family loves that strain - thank you), and if ever get an excess of soil, I probably slide an autoflower into the perpetual stream.

It's an intersting theory, but I doubt your store owner has his facts just right. CBD will moderate the effects of THC, which can tone down the high, and for some folks that reduction will remove anxiety.
but
the paranoia/anxiety seems to be generated more by some of the plant terpenes, terpenes found more often in Sativa strains, than the THC itself.

Good choice to grow your own strains to find what works best for him.

As an emergency measure in case of an anxiety attack from cannabis, hand him a peppercorn grinder and have him grind pepper and hold the pepper grinder under his nose and sniff. Repeat as needed. He doesn't have to use the pepper, definitely should not snort the pepper, but inhale the aromas. Peppercorn terpenes released by the grinding of pepper block the cannabis terpenes that cause anxiety and paranoia. It might take as long as 10 minutes, grinding and sniffing once a minute, for the first time - but, wierd as it sounds, this does seem to work for a lot of people.

p.s. when picking out a strain, you might check seedfinder website.

For strains with user comments they genrate a word cloud, a red and green pie chart looking thing, where words in various size indicate user feedback on the effects: One can click onto the chart/cloud to find strains with similar effects

For example (without the really useful word sizes) CBD Critical Cure (one I grew) shows:

Green: Head; Activate; Uplifting; Light headed; Exhilarating; Relaxing; Thought provoking; Meditativ; Aphrodisiac; Racy; Psychedelic;

Red: Body; Calming; Couch Lock; Energetic; Appetizing; Pain numbing

- - -

Playing with the pie chart I found my way to Critical Plus Auto (Critical Mass x AK47- then autoflowered)
This implies that the Body Calming effects of CBD Critical Cure come more from the "critical" side of the family than the "CBD" side of the family. - - No guarantees with the internet, but it's food for thought.

Thanks for the info! Interesting on the peppercorn...I would have never even thought of that. I am still really learning about CBD and THC and all. There is so much to learn. I will check out seedfinder. Thanks!

Update Day 17: Critical + CBD (auto)

needless to say, i'm stoked :surf:

P9190119.JPG

P9190118.JPG

P9190117.JPG

But the thing that amazes me the most the last few days ... is that she has a lovely aroma already. The DIY grow box is in my bedroom (for easy maintenance access) and sometimes I leave the curtain open when I'm going to be out for a while, to give her some fresher air. A couple of times I thought I must have imagined the smell, or thought I'd left the vaporiser on... then yesterday, when I smelt it again, I thought 'dang it - just stick your nose down there and check'. Lo & behold! A lovely smell coming off her already! I'm looking forward to th aromatherapy in my room as she matures.

Thanks everyone here who advised me about watering - I haven't watered her for ages and she's happier every day :thumb:

Update Day 17: Critical + CBD (auto)

needless to say, i'm stoked :surf:

P9190119.JPG

P9190118.JPG

P9190117.JPG

But the thing that amazes me the most the last few days ... is that she has a lovely aroma already. The DIY grow box is in my bedroom (for easy maintenance access) and sometimes I leave the curtain open when I'm going to be out for a while, to give her some fresher air. A couple of times I thought I must have imagined the smell, or thought I'd left the vaporiser on... then yesterday, when I smelt it again, I thought 'dang it - just stick your nose down there and check'. Lo & behold! A lovely smell coming off her already! I'm looking forward to th aromatherapy in my room as she matures.

Thanks everyone here who advised me about watering - I haven't watered her for ages and she's happier every day :thumb:

Nice little garden you have there. A decorative stone, a crystal, environental meter, a little signpst to tell her her name, and a brown woodgrain something with a white nipple shape. It's nice and homey feeling.

Nice little garden you have there. A decorative stone, a crystal, environental meter, a little signpst to tell her her name, and a brown woodgrain something with a white nipple shape. It's nice and homey feeling.

. thanks Rad. I'm a home lovin woman. And I thought, seeing as she's all alone in a box...

the 'nipple' topped something is an oil diffuser which uses water to diffuse the (probably terpenes) of essential oils into the atmosphere. I don't have any oil in it of course, just water - I'm using it to try to raise the RH as it's really too low for the most part. It's often not doing enough tho- 'tis better now that I have it in the pot, but still not humid enough... any ideas?

. thanks Rad. I'm a home lovin woman. And I thought, seeing as she's all alone in a box...

the 'nipple' topped something is an oil diffuser which uses water to diffuse the (probably terpenes) of essential oils into the atmosphere. I don't have any oil in it of course, just water - I'm using it to try to raise the RH as it's really too low for the most part. It's often not doing enough tho- 'tis better now that I have it in the pot, but still not humid enough... any ideas?

Your aroma difffuser usualyl hold less than a pint.
To raise the humidity in an area the size of a bedroom, you may need several quarts a day.

Option A:
You could pick up a room sized cool mist humidifier new at a pharmacy or used at a thrift store. Since the piezo electric humudifiers have almost no moving parts, if they don't look obviously broken, they usually work. Their is a stone ring that vibrates and wears down with years of continuous use, but most people only use them for one or two tanks before they get sent to an attic or under a bathroom sink and forgotten.

This will probably be too small unless you fill 1-2 times per day. Some of them won't adjust that high.

Option B:
You can make the area smaller by draping a large plastic sack (a dry cleaning or clothes storage bag) over the light and and your plant. Or buy a grow tent. and use a small humidifier (opion A,) - Aesthetics are somewhat lost when you do that.

Option C:
If you like option A's resuts you will probably eventually want a large capacity unit. 3 to 6 gallon capacity humidifiers cost $100-$200 at big box stores. You have to carry that water when you refill.

Option D:
Install a whole house dehumidifier. Not too expensive if you DIY. Pernmanently installed to a water supply. No carrying water. Humidistat controlled.

Option E:
a towel, a dish of water, and a fan. Will work better in a smaller space (Option B.)

Option F:
48% RH is not that bad. Almost perfect for flowering. Reasonable for vegging.

Thanks Rad

The space is already sectioned off. I used an old kitchen cabinet carcass and extended 4 timber rods up at each corner (when I say I, I mean I asked my gardener/handyman to 'please cut these this long and attach them here...' .). The whole top section was then wrapped with building moisture wrap which is reflective silver on the inside. There is also now a curtain all around the top. I use a piece of ply to cover the front at the bottom. I'll try to get some photos of this DIY 'tiny closet'.

There's no way I could get a humidifier . we have to have a dehumidifier in the house. This time of year not so bad but late summer - phew, can get humid. My room is actually good and when the growlight is out, the RH in the growbox gets back up to 50, sometimes a little more. So the light is the main culprit I think. When my little fan arrives l'll get a dish of water to put in there too. The mister is really just an effort to make it a bit better around the leaves - it gets it from 35-45, so that's something (if the diffuser is off RH can get down to 32)

That's good that you say 48 is ok - I'm not there all the time but I'll try to enhance it further as you suggest. I'm going to try to capture the growbox with my camera now...

OK - here's my DIY 'Tiny Closet'!

if anyone asks, its a vanishing cabinet :winkyface:

vanishing_cabinet.png

vanishing_cabinet_3.png

if you look inside that little opening and look up, you see this: the top is repurposed pegboard (just a little ventilation!), those metal spikes poking through are the curtain hooks...

P9190112.JPG

now, looking down

P9190113.JPG
P9190114.JPG

and from the front, with both curtains open and the special green glasses over the lens...

P9190115.JPG

This was totally inspired by SweetSue's first grow journal. :thanks:

:Namaste:

OK - here's my DIY 'Tiny Closet'!

if anyone asks, its a vanishing cabinet :winkyface:

vanishing_cabinet_3.png

P9190115.JPG

This was totally inspired by SweetSue's first grow journal. :thanks:

:Namaste:

What a lovely cabinet, when I look away I forget it's there!

Congratulations on your getting a healthy seedling under that purple light. Growers have struggled with those, especially when they get too close to seedlings.

I like your square measuring stick. It reminds me of my mother's 1940's hemming tool, without the little squeeze bulb of chalk. :)

That's a much less industrial version than my first veg area :) I used a small cool mist humidifier and had to add water every day.

20140314_144406-1.jpg

What a lovely cabinet, when I look away I forget it's there!

Congratulations on your getting a healthy seedling under that purple light. Growers have struggled with those, especially when they get too close to seedlings.

I like your square measuring stick. It reminds me of my mother's 1940's hemming tool, without the little squeeze bulb of chalk. :)

That's a much less industrial version than my first veg area :) I used a small cool mist humidifier and had to add water every day.

20140314_144406-1.jpg

Thanks Rad - happy to hear that my vanishing spell is working! ...

The light is more pink than purple... it's a MarsHydro 300, and before I went ahead and purchased it I did look around a bit and saw that folks had grown successfully with it - so I'm expecting it to be ok! The fact that the light was on sale (100AU$) was the other half of the inspiration for this little indoor experiment. It seems good so far, the light that is, just the fan is a bit noisy - which I notice cause it's in my room (and why she's on a 14/10 schedule). It reminds me of my old computer tower (Mac G4 tower) that used to run our music production system. It was so noisy, you could still hear it even when it was in a cupboard! I still use an old Atari to do music programming so when I fire that up, I can't even hear the cabinet anymore!

The measuring stick isn't square but I know the ones you mean. The one you see folds down 4 times into a quarter of it's length. I bought it cause my father used to have one and I loved it as a child - then when I started doing woodwork a few years ago I just had to get one in his honour!

Ramblings... anyway...

Where are the other CBD happy growers? How are your CBD rich beauties coming along?

Where are the other CBD happy growers? How are your CBD rich beauties coming along?

I'm tapped out on CBD strains. I was only running the one CBD Critical Cure and through a combination of a cloner pump failure, choosing a bad cloner replacement, and lighting problems in my veg area causing early flowering, I lost several of my clone lines. My Sativa dominant CBD Critical Cure that took over 3 months to flower is no more. My friend with an auto immune skin infection will miss it, but she wasn't doing the lifestyle changes she needs to stay healthy anyway. - I'm not as callous as that sounds, but you can only lead a horse to water. - So I'm just a lurker, not a contributor now.

I'm tapped out on CBD strains. I was only running the one CBD Critical Cure and through a combination of a cloner pump failure, choosing a bad cloner replacement, and lighting problems in my veg area causing early flowering, I lost several of my clone lines. My Sativa dominant CBD Critical Cure that took over 3 months to flower is no more. My friend with an auto immune skin infection will miss it, but she wasn't doing the lifestyle changes she needs to stay healthy anyway. - I'm not as callous as that sounds, but you can only lead a horse to water. - So I'm just a lurker, not a contributor now.

Hi!
You're contributing just fine to my CBD grow. . Your encouragement and advice are well received. I put some dishes of water in the cabinet and the RH is now usually at 50% when the light is on, with temp at 23-24C. I'm pretty happy with that. Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom