Celt’s 2020 Grows

Good morning Celt. Another wet start to a day. Not much experience with mutations as I haven't popped enough beans (yet) to have come across any. Clones by the thousands but don't remember any mutations, but that's to be expected. I have seen all three traits of yours on line over the past few years , but it's the twin seed shoot that catches my attention. Sure am curious if it will be identical or totally different.
I can see the new seed adds now. Two, two,........ two for the price of one. :peace: :lot-o-toke:

Well, this grow of BD in the big tent has had its share of problems, flooding early on, gnats and thrips which I knew was going to affect yield if not quality. This morning checking the girls over, this grow has gone into SNAFU mode and verging on the brink of FUBAR which is quite normal in my grows but usually because I am not able to tend them properly lol

For the past few days, checking the girls and enjoying the developing smells, I only open the one door to the tent and just scan the tops, but something about some of the bud development was making my brain itch but I kept ignoring it. It was only here and there and I passed it off as different phenos.

Problem was, something in the back of my mind kept poking me telling me I saw seed. I kept saying, not possible, they are all from fem seed and I have never had any develop sacs before unless I was trying to stress them checking for hermaphroditic traits.

I had expected to see maybe the odd seed near the end I generally open as I had pollinated 2 lower bud with some PC pollen to check it’s viability after the disappointing PC seed run. The bud pollinated was low down in one corner next to the corner away from the main airflow so didn’t expect any pollen to travel farther than maybe adjoining plants.

As it turns out, I should not ignore that annoying little bastard in my head, it was telling me the truth. In the other end of the tent, the 2 plants in the corners, and where the greatest airflow is, were true hermaphrodites.

I say “true” to differentiate between plants that produce proper pollen sacs as opposed to plants left growing too long which can develop “nanners”. Development of nanners is a survival trait that any female cannabis plant can do if nearing the end of its life without being pollinated. True hermaphrodites will develop pollen sac early on in the flowering cycle.

This was more than likely my own fault as I stressed these girls at just about the right time when they are determining sex. Weeks 3 and 4 are the most critical for being stress free. During this 2 week stretch, you can actually swing the odds of female plants in your favour even with regular seed.

I have posted this article (below) elsewhere but thought it fitting to add it to my journal as I have done just what they say NOT to do during this crucial stage of development.

2EA13A36-7985-4DAE-9F46-74409FE594E8.jpeg

A988C086-FD50-46FF-8738-DD87DA29436F.jpeg

EE69FFF5-4405-4C4E-91F8-CD0A4A2D45DA.jpeg

1D6AA76E-37EA-45EC-A572-B4954E38AE58.jpeg

OK so now that I have royalty F‘d up this grow and will not be able to give a good judge of efficiency (in terms of power usage vs yield) not all is lost, nor will I chop the offenders.

Why would I not chop those couple plants you ask? Well being a true hermaphrodite, they grew single pollen sacs at the crotch of the first few nodes and bud above that. All the sacs I found have already died, some having spewed their loads, some dead without having ever opened And I am not seeing any new ones so the damage is done. As the saying goes “the damage is done, shutting the barn door now will not fix the problem” :rofl:

There is some amazing bud in there that doesn’t appear to have any seed so I will finish these girls off and watch for any other nuts developing. As I am not a commercial grower depending on great yields, this doesn’t really bother me much. Past experience tells me that even seeded bud makes for great and potent hash and as I prefer hash most of the time, I am really out nothing but a bit of yield and having to admit, I FU’d lol which in all reality, doesn’t bother me, else I wouldn’t bother telling you guys :rofl:

I have always been one to admit my mistakes, take whatever punishment was due me, learn from it and move on, nothing new here ;)

Made it Celt, that was awesome info. Let me run this by ya see if I got this right. You treated PC branches and end up with feminized seeds. Was the pc plants from regular seeds? Any time I found PC seeds they were always regular no matter how I hard I wished for feminized. Keep it green bro.

Well I been slack updating my grow, busy with getting outside stuff done on these nice days, so a quick update on the flower tent and outdoor activities.

The Blue Dream started week 7 since flip yesterday
3CB948CC-B5DC-4473-900F-DE07B82035BC.jpeg

B55D32C0-A3B9-4F49-AC2F-38767F134CF5.jpeg

3077CEE5-91B9-4AA3-AC06-244777510A20.jpeg

Some of these girls are near ready and will likely start getting chopped this weekend, others like the bud in the last picture will be another week or 2 before they come down. One of the phenos is usually ready something during week 7, others take as long as 9 weeks.

Outdoors, I am putting 4 Blue Dream in the ground in my back yard where they get full sun dawn till dusk until later in the fall. With a 4 plant limit and the only restriction being they aren‘t viewable to the public, I get to make use of that space for growing now :)

This should be a great place to grow big plants and I am preparing 3’ holes that are 20-24” deep as follows:

The hole
330478C1-0FDF-4BDD-96CA-903AD6993CED.jpeg

The sod was removed and set aside, topsoil (such as it is around here) thrown into a wheel barrow along with enough of the clay to fill it and the excess clay going into a pile between the 4 plots.
C2925A61-215D-46B4-A15C-501E066524C1.jpeg

After finishing the hole and removing larger stone, the sod is placed in the bottom with blood meal, bone meal and some KNO3 (not organic but still using up what I bought 6 years ago) along with a gallon of LABs to help break things down faster.

The soil/clay in the wheel barrow (+/- 3 cuft or about 22 gallons) was throughly mixed with 45 gallons of used super soil from previous grows that had been reamended and stored in totes for about 6 months or more. This was then used to fill the remainder of the hole.

And here is Ms BD #1 with her 3 limbs per node growth
60C06C7F-5D31-4405-8CA1-78E2CBC2166B.jpeg

47953C07-5D27-4BF7-BC8E-4354CA62BA0D.jpeg

I have also seeded the bare surface with Spearmint and White Clover to help repel pests and be a green mulch. I have been keeping the surface damp with a sprayer which has BTi in it to help the seed germinate and to keep any critters at bay until these girls take off and the mint and clover take hold.

I will update the Gorilla Shizzle Auto in her MC hempy style grow later today. She spent her 1st 30 or so days under the 400w LED in the seed tent and was moved outside late last week.

Too bloody hot out here today to be digging holes or working on my roof ...

so as promised, an update on the Gorilla Shizzle Auto.

This was a freebie and is a Short Stuff strain as follows:

Strain: Auto Gorilla Shizzle
Type:
(Gorilla Glue #4 x Auto OG kush) x Tha Shiznit
Auto Type: Boutique Line Auto
Height: 25-40” | 50-100cm
Harvest: 9-11 weeks from seed
Yield: 60-280g |2-10 oz per plant
Indoors/Outdoors: Both
Effect: Super Potent 23%+ THC
Potency: 10/10

She spent here first 40+ days under my 400w LED and then I moved her to the great outdoors late last week. I had a number of reasons for putting her out:

- My basement runs about 35% rh most of the year and is likely why I was having issues of slow growth and die off of my seedlings, some thing that will be addressed in the near future.

- as she was just starting to show signs of starting flowering, I felt 15 to 16 hours of sun will likely to do more for her, especially in flower, than 400w of 3200k light.

- and sunlight is free :rofl:

So here she is, basking in the sun and already bigger than the finished DDA autos I had tried in the past.
572A32CF-DAF3-4936-B068-2D11962A9F69.jpeg

She has been getting Mega Crop since going in this 3 gallon water jug and is at day 42 on a strain that they say takes 63 to 77 days. I am thinking she may go to 90 days before I call her done but time will tell.

About halfway down the page is a step by step guide on producing autoflower seeds... interesting. I think I have some finola hemp seed, from what I remember that variety only grew about 3 feet tall as seen in my avatar.

Back
Top Bottom