Celt’s 2020 Grows

Your outside grow is amazing Celt! And the big ones are beasts. :thumb:
15-16hrs under the sun would be better that 20hrs under 400w of LED.
No question in terms of DLI. Excellent decision, and anyone who can grow outside should. Saves money on electric bills and gives the bugs something new to eat ;)
she exploded and grew 20 inches in the last 2 weeks and is showing no signs of slowing down.
:eek:
I ordered 25lbs of Mega Crop
Excellent! I'm working my way through mine as well.
Sorry I missed this bit about “flipping 1/2 a plant”. That’s a very interesting idea :) If the logistics of keeping one 1/2 of the plant under 12 hrs light and the other half under 16 hrs, without any light leaks, it may we’ll be possible.
Another option would be to spray the areas you want to produce pollen with the 150-200ppm GA3 and the rest of the plant with 500+ppm GA3. The areas sprayed with the higher concentration would be prevented from flowering, but for how long I don’t know, nor do I know what kind of flowers would be produced when that part of the plant did start to flower. I do know that some serious training would be required as GA3 causes mad stretch and you would soon run out of room if left go “au natural”.
Something interesting to investigate and if one of you reminds me in the fall, when things slow down and I get my grow rooms in better order, I would be willing to try it for the sake of knowledge. Lord knows I have plenty of BD seed to play with possible “lost causes” :rofl:
I figured you could do a mainline and slide one half into a notched cardboard box for light deprivation. If I had room I would give it a go sometime, for science!

On the GA3 topic, given your experience with the long delay in the maturation of the pollen, is there a reason to spray 5 days and then stop the GA3 at flip? Folks doing CS usually continue to just before the sacs open. Why not keep up with the GA3 a while longer?

Evening @InTheShed,

Thanks for the comments on my outdoor garden, I love growing outside :)

In regards to spraying GA3 after stretch, I tried that when the sacs didn’t appear when I thought they should and it did funky things to the those limbs. They stretched really bad and produced calyx spaced along the stem rather than make bud and didn’t produce many sacs. Only the limbs sprayed before flip and left produced clusters of pollen sacs.

When I did the Blue Dream, it worked great spraying for 5 days before flip and having both the pollen bearers and seed bearers start flower at the same time. The Pineapple Chunk was the grow that essentially failed and is the reason I suggest flipping the pollen producers first but by the same token, the PC is a bitch of a plant to work with and it may have been her that caused the failure rather than the method.

At some point I will get some PC seed and try again, as miserable as she can be, she produces awesome smoke. I just need to find the pheno that I had and that @Weaselcracker also has and fights with.

@Weaselcracker also has and fights with.

Hey mate. Sorry- been slowly trying to catch up on the forum, but short on time and woefully behind.

I’m going to try to self pollinate the bitch soon, with STS. Not sure what the offspring will be like but I’ll definitely let you know when I have seeds in hand.

Back working days this week so update is a day early.

First up, the Cluster Bomb girl who is showing no signs of slowing down, on Monday it was 51” tall and now 6 days later is at 59”. I won’t be surprised if she tops 7 feet by harvest.

A9EB03CD-344D-4E7A-8324-EC41A56C40E4.jpeg

009BE2F1-B8E2-46E6-BFA7-0FF280451685.jpeg

Next the Double Tap twins, the first of which topped herself and has 3 tops.

156C4714-7480-491F-B52C-DC0ED432B356.jpeg

B24ED8FA-7CCE-4165-BA42-8457F8F2FB65.jpeg

Now for the 4 Blue Dream garden girls sharing space with a giant pumpkin.

051341AA-2CBE-4C29-ACE7-CC29F1C4688C.jpeg

41A60384-977A-4C42-9DEF-AEEF46C083ED.jpeg

A24928CE-D7F7-4960-940C-628D1D8528EC.jpeg

947AB68F-5513-4FAF-B59C-34FADA70ACE3.jpeg

And a group shot of the garden

F788C02C-4400-436C-B944-17FE4CE18DC7.jpeg

That’s it for this week, stay safe and may your gardens grow green and large :)

Hi Celt :ciao: what a sweet journal you have here! Thanks for all the information. You may be right when saying the pineapple chunk could be the issue. I've heard folks say they can be terribly hard to grow on a good day. I grew one outdoors and it grew easily for some reason. What a beautiful and strong scent growing. It grew like a sativa in structure to me. We loved it here and I'm enjoying a cob of it these days from 2 summers ago. Your gardens are doing great man!

Love your island, it's been years but I remember it well from vacationing several times there. A question from years ago in my head. When I was in NS I saw front lawns covered in seaweed, a smallish maybe golfball size chunks of plant. I've never seen it like that. Do you know what folks were doing? Drying it for the garden? Food? Anyway, Super growing friend!

Hi Celt :ciao: what a sweet journal you have here! Thanks for all the information. You may be right when saying the pineapple chunk could be the issue. I've heard folks say they can be terribly hard to grow on a good day. I grew one outdoors and it grew easily for some reason. What a beautiful and strong scent growing. It grew like a sativa in structure to me. We loved it here and I'm enjoying a cob of it these days from 2 summers ago. Your gardens are doing great man!

Love your island, it's been years but I remember it well from vacationing several times there. A question from years ago in my head. When I was in NS I saw front lawns covered in seaweed, a smallish maybe golfball size chunks of plant. I've never seen it like that. Do you know what folks were doing? Drying it for the garden? Food? Anyway, Super growing friend!

Afternoon @stoneotter,

I am glad you enjoyed my grow so far and hope you found some useful information here :)

As for seaweed on the lawns, at one time in this province, it was quite common for people living near the shores to gather seaweed and let it rot into the lawn and gardens for fertilizer. Gaspereau and smelts were often caught and used for the same purpose. Many old houses near the shores were also insulated with dried eel grass stuffed in the walls.

Not sure if that was what you were seeing, but chances are that was the reason :)

Not apt to see much of that these days though, most are too “high class” (or lazy) to use what nature provides, they would sooner pay someone to spray there lawns with chemicals :rofl:

My daughter dug a half ton load of Irish moss into her potato patch this spring. The tops have exploded and she will have enough spuds for the neighbors on both sides. The best gardens are ones that have a layer of fish (alewife, smelt or mackerel) layered about a foot and a half down with another layer of seaweed about a half foot above that. All kinds of hard work but worth it for many years to come. :peace: :lot-o-toke:

As for seaweed on the lawns, at one time in this province, it was quite common for people living near the shores to gather seaweed and let it rot into the lawn and gardens for fertilizer. Gaspereau and smelts were often caught and used for the same purpose. Many old houses near the shores were also insulated with dried eel grass stuffed in the walls.
This is so interesting! Using what material we have is how we live. I was there noticing that in 1975 on 10 speed bike with 3 friends so we were from the Bluenose landing(lick a chick fast food was there)along the south coastal rt., up to Kejamakoosick for a few days and up around the north coast back to the boat. Mostly coastal. That's some interesting and cool information. I'd eat the smelt. Wonder why I haven't heard of Gaspereau? Ok I see it's like an alewife from here.

My daughter dug a half ton load of Irish moss into her potato patch this spring. The tops have exploded and she will have enough spuds for the neighbors on both sides. The best gardens are ones that have a layer of fish (alewife, smelt or mackerel) layered about a foot and a half down with another layer of seaweed about a half foot above that. All kinds of hard work but worth it for many years to come. :peace: :lot-o-toke:
Thanks for the recipe. Taters Yum!

Hey guys, not time for an update but got a curiosity to share.

Came home yesterday after work and mixed some feed for the girls and found 2 limbs, on the big girl, that had wilted at the terminal shoot. First thought was the heat but struck me odd it was only 2.

After feeding and looking closer, found this:
AE6570D7-5ACF-43BE-91B3-94A387BCAF07.jpeg

and signs of an entry hole after scraping the crap away.

Amputated the offending limbs along with a few others I found and decided I needed to investigate the cause and check over the rest of my plant. Tonight I found more and managed to find the culprit:

C227C268-26C6-4F2F-BBDD-F865DD082FEE.jpeg

Best guess it is one of 3 pests: Corn Borer, Hemp Borer or Squash Vine Borer.

If any out there can identify this little bastard, please let me know. It’s the first boring insect I have come across in my cannabis plants.

Looks more fascinating than boring to me, but either way I would post that pic here:

Good job finding it!

Thanks She’d, I will post it there as well.

I do believe it is the European Corn Borer, they are here in NS and will attack cannabis and is very closely related to the Hemp Borer. Just read an article about them and how they have become resistant to the protein in Bt due to it having been incorporated into GMO corn.

Thanks a LOT Monsanto, quite fucking with our plants, you cause more problems than you cure.

Nice find.
Hay Otter when are you going to drop that Nevilles Haze ? I know a couple others that will be starting theirs end of August or first of September

Back
Top Bottom