Cleaning my LEDs

I just finished another grow and between flowering plants, minerals from my humidifier, my LED’s get pretty dusty.

I used a dry microcloth to just kinda dust em off….

Do you do anything else to clean em, or do you think dusting is enough ?
Spectacle lens wipes will remove any grime without them getting wet

canned compressed air. the type used for cleaning electronics.

edit : you don't really want anything touching an emitter surface.

Spectacle lens wipes will remove any grime without them getting wet
disposable wipes or just microfiber cloths?
the disposable ones I have only list isopropyl alcohol in the ingredients, however they smell like windex so I'm skeptical.

A lot of LED manufacturers seem to apply a coating to the LEDs and advertise their products as water resistant in which case a damp cloth is probably fine. Anyway, good question... I'm sure mine are in need of a cleaning.

I just read that there are certain LED’s that you should not use water on, OSRAM is one of them (apparently the coating is not hermetically sealed). I’d use isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth, to be safe.
Edit: The electrical compressed air cleaners are probably safest overall.

By "emitter surface" do you mean the surface of the diode?

yes. diodes are an old tech and can be a couple different things, so the ones that make light are called emitters in the industry. anything with a yellow surface that makes light is an emitter.

emitters are coated with a protective surface, you want nothing removing it, even water.

disposable wipes or just microfiber cloths?
the disposable ones I have only list isopropyl alcohol in the ingredients, however they smell like windex so I'm skeptical.

that will kill an emitter easily if it's a couple years old. it will greatly reduce the lifespan if it doesn't kill it.

A lot of LED manufacturers seem to apply a coating to the LEDs and advertise their products as water resistant in which case a damp cloth is probably fine.

never do this. used canned compressed air used specifically for electronics.

that will kill an emitter easily if it's a couple years old. it will greatly reduce the lifespan if it doesn't kill it.
Thanks. I should've specified LED light manufacturers instead of LED manufacturers.
I've seen lights that have had a seal applied over the quantum board for example then claim to be IP65 water resistant or similar. It's pretty common actually but I think it's fair to be cautious and do research first or just use compressed air like you've mentioned.

canned compressed air. the type used for cleaning electronics.

edit : you don't really want anything touching an emitter surface.

I use a lot of canned air.. We have 3 gaming PCs, a plethora of consoles and other electronics, plus all my grow room equipment.

It’s a lot, and canned air isn’t cheap these days. I was thinking about getting one of these electric blowers:

IMG_5997.jpeg

You ever use one of these? Is it worth it or should I just buy canned air in bulk?

Thanks. I should've specified LED light manufacturers instead of LED manufacturers.
I've seen lights that have had a seal applied over the quantum board for example then claim to be IP65 water resistant or similar. It's pretty common actually but I think it's fair to be cautious and do research first or just use compressed air like you've mentioned.

exposed emitters are ok in most humid environments when left alone untouched. direct water spray is never good though and will result in tears pretty quick.

most commercial apps put a plastic lens over the emitter to make it safe, but that cuts the intensity used in our lights, so you won't see them on grow lights, and the emitter will have to be treated differently.

I use a lot of canned air.. We have 3 gaming PCs, a plethora of consoles and other electronics, plus all my grow room equipment.

It’s a lot, and canned air isn’t cheap these days. I was thinking about getting one of these electric blowers:

IMG_5997.jpeg

You ever use one of these? Is it worth it or should I just buy canned air in bulk?

don't use that.

canned air has a small amount of alcohol or iso which helps clean, then dries with no residue. using an air compressor or blower simply blows regular air with water vapor, contaminants, and abrasive particles to destroy your emitter.

your lights shouldn't be getting that dirty to begin with.

exposed emitters are ok in most humid environments when left alone untouched. direct water spray is never good though and will result in tears pretty quick.

most commercial apps put a plastic lens over the emitter to make it safe, but that cuts the intensity used in our lights, so you won't see them on grow lights, and the emitter will have to be treated differently.

don't use that.

canned air has a small amount of alcohol or iso which helps clean, then dries with no residue. using an air compressor or blower simply blows regular air with water vapor, contaminants, and abrasive particles to destroy your emitter.

your lights shouldn't be getting that dirty to begin with.

Huh, TIL compressed air is more than just compressed air, cool info, and thanks for saving me a shitty purchase! I was more leaning toward using it on my PCs but Eff that.

:cool:
371021084_697143192457914_6474131839264976786_n.jpg

I'd think any grow lights for greenhouses probably should be able to take rain & sprinklers.

But yeah LEDs shouldn't get that dirty... on top okay but that's just a wipe, indeed if the humidifier is on a lot and leaves a residue from the tap water.. hmm but that's not dust you just brush or wipe off easily if it accumulates.
And distilled is probably better for the humidifier itself as well :) heck anything with fine pipes or nozzles.

Also Bluter you keep saying that about lens covers but I'm not sure the trade off is as bad or big as you think, any loss in intensity can be easily made up for in other ways whilst you gain direction & uniformity.. the light I have now is way more efficient than one I had with bare emitters so that's not really the deciding factor, It's not like it blocks 98% of the rays if you put it in front of your light quite the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom